Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Erulisse posted:

Where I live there's like 230 e91s for sale, most of them being 320d autos, used and abused pre-facelift cars. Tourings are rare here :(
Last time I saw a 330 manual it was an Individual, diesel and was selling for over a year for $30k+.

I seriously think anyone should be able to just go and order X car in a Y chassis with an Z engine regardless of the lineups and what marketing department thinks.

it's not marketing that dictates availability, it's production. the response to this ask is always "sure, it's gonna cost you 1.5x though" and strangely suddenly everyone is a lot less interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Well, people with more money than sense exist and usually they want to stand out.
At least always giving an option would have been good, imo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This is why stuff like BMW Individual / Porsche Exclusive Manufacture exist. the reason you can't do much more than that is also that various regulatory bodies have Opinions about these things

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
It must be so beautiful to not have to have the dregs of hyper capitalist cost-optimization embedded into your brain and play a role in the background of every decision you make.

But please do go on about how a bespoke/coachbuilder BMW could exist in 2021 :allears:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's totally feasible if you kill FMVSS and emissions and crash testing and you are willing to pay twice as much money at a 12 month lead time

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
So like with limited production car makers?

Jokes aside though, does american safety whatever require each car to be crash tested with all trim levels and engine types?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chassis and powertrain combinations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Chassis and powertrain combinations.

Yeah, both of those are a huge deal when it comes to the overall safety of a car in a crash.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Does anyone have experience with the Avin android auto kits for E8/9x cars? (https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-1-series-e81-e82-e87-e88.html)

I've just bought a manual e82 125i after ages of considering different cars, and I think it's one of the things I would like to upgrade eventually. Also what are people's opinions of the tablet stuck to the top of the dash versions vs the smaller in dash units?

Edit: Also is there a semi concise compatibility guide? It seems to vary quite a lot between equipped audio system and infotainment units and what not.

Mahatma-Squid fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 5, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ruf is basically a custom porsche group buy company right? I mean, they assemble them in a different building and there's the Ruf heritage etc, but you and thirty other people are getting a mostly custom option package with custom interior etc in a production run

Ruf costs about what a rolls royce or bentley or other semi custom coach mfg charges, which starts around what $230,000 and spirals upwards from there, go hawg wild

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ugh. Run flats.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Ruf is basically a custom porsche group buy company right? I mean, they assemble them in a different building and there's the Ruf heritage etc, but you and thirty other people are getting a mostly custom option package with custom interior etc in a production run

Ruf costs about what a rolls royce or bentley or other semi custom coach mfg charges, which starts around what $230,000 and spirals upwards from there, go hawg wild

There's no 911 touring though, I'm not sure how that is really comparable. 90% of the angst is German manufacturers not bringing over bespoke wagons. I'm sure you could have commissioned Alpina to make you a custom E91 but it won't be a M3 wagon without the S65

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Avin android auto kits for E8/9x cars? (https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-1-series-e81-e82-e87-e88.html)

I've just bought a manual e82 125i after ages of considering different cars, and I think it's one of the things I would like to upgrade eventually. Also what are people's opinions of the tablet stuck to the top of the dash versions vs the smaller in dash units?

Edit: Also is there a semi concise compatibility guide? It seems to vary quite a lot between equipped audio system and infotainment units and what not.
Hey, I have one of these in my E92, I would copy paste my trip report from upthread here, but I'm on mobile, so just click the little "?" under my name and find it there and let me know if I can answer any q's. Overall I think it's a very worthwhile upgrade if you have iDrive but I wouldn't install it if you don't have iDrive already, I'd just get a proclip mount for your phone. Don't know about a compatibility guide, but I think the ordering options lay it out fairly straight

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rscott posted:

There's no 911 touring though, I'm not sure how that is really comparable. 90% of the angst is German manufacturers not bringing over bespoke wagons. I'm sure you could have commissioned Alpina to make you a custom E91 but it won't be a M3 wagon without the S65

The Panamera Sport Tourismo is legit pretty loving rad though :)

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Hey, I have one of these in my E92, I would copy paste my trip report from upthread here, but I'm on mobile, so just click the little "?" under my name and find it there and let me know if I can answer any q's. Overall I think it's a very worthwhile upgrade if you have iDrive but I wouldn't install it if you don't have iDrive already, I'd just get a proclip mount for your phone. Don't know about a compatibility guide, but I think the ordering options lay it out fairly straight

Thanks for that, no idrive on mine but I do already have a phone mount on order for when I do a fly a drive in a week or so to pick it up so I might see if that's a decent solution long term. Amongst the garbage forums browsing I did a few people had said that getting the factory sub included with the Harmon Kardon audio to work with the aftermarket units was a pain in the rear end, but I have no experience with stereo installation so I don't know if this rings true or not.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

gently caress me this is a lot rougher than I wanted but I feel like at this price I can get it about as nice as I'd like with all the cash saving. I wish it were smog'd though so I could drive it up to the Bay easier. Also I really wanted post facelift but man, still seems like a deal. Another option maybe is buy it and do smaller fixes and wait for the super unicorn since it should be able to hold value alright if I do some of the things it needs.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/burbank-2007-bmw-328i-e91-wagon-speed/7332492770.html

emailed to at least get the VIN so I can run a car fax

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 6, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

cant make this poo poo up, I was about to reply to the CL guy with everything checking out and get him to smog it tomorrow so I can fly down in the next couple days to buy it when this popped up on BAT and I legit think it's what I have been waiting for

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-328-66/

gonna overpay for some E91 action

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hope you're ready to pay $40k for a 10 year old BMW lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

just get an e90 or e92 and pay a fraction of the price for basically the same car but lighter

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

just get an e90 or e92 and pay a fraction of the price for basically the same car but lighter

I went back and read some of your posts from searching for the e92 when you mentioned talking about the avin unit and uh I find it interesting the polar opposites on E9x opinions. I think the E92 is really ugly, door too long and the rear is hosed. I think the E90 is handsome enough, but if I were to do that I'd just spend the same I am likely spending on the E91 for the M3 at that point. I don't mind the E90 but really I very much want a wagon.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

to me the e90 is like...the guy who makes those awful paintings in cheap offices trying to mimic cubism. i love the clean lines of the e92. i think it is still one of the most handsome cars on the road. fight me

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You’re wrong but that’s okay :)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

there's a reason the e92 m3, and not the e90 m3, is still a staple in ads for car accessory sites, body shops, car washes / detailers, used car dealers, etc: it looks really, really good, and the e90 does not.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I really just hate driving the E92, the rear pillar is in such a bad spot. The seat belt is annoyingly far back and the arm assist is terrible. Going back and forth was interesting, the front end of the E92 does look a bit better with the hood lines, but the place I worked then had the narrowest spaces and the longer doors sucked.

My Dad loved it, I liked the E90 a lot better. Which is good since he bought the E92, and I bought E90s!

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

to me the e90 is like...the guy who makes those awful paintings in cheap offices trying to mimic cubism. i love the clean lines of the e92. i think it is still one of the most handsome cars on the road. fight me

I'm not quite so down on the E90 but agree re: the E92. It's the spiritual successor to that timeless E39 look

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TheBacon posted:

I don't mind the E90 but really I very much want a wagon.

Then you shall pay the Wagon+Pandemic Tax. Enjoy your tepid 10 year old BMW.

Alternatively you can buy my automagic E91 for 10k less than that white one. It’s not as clean and I dropped a stroller on the fender.

It was hot here today so I went kayaking.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

I really just hate driving the E92, the rear pillar is in such a bad spot. The seat belt is annoyingly far back and the arm assist is terrible. Going back and forth was interesting, the front end of the E92 does look a bit better with the hood lines, but the place I worked then had the narrowest spaces and the longer doors sucked.

My Dad loved it, I liked the E90 a lot better. Which is good since he bought the E92, and I bought E90s!
agree about the seat belt thing, which does piss me off, the arm assist thing never works, and according to youtube the solution is to iron your seatbelts which...i am not doing.

i love the huge door though. and i find that the visibility in the e92 is perfect. the window by the rear pillar is exactly where your blind spot is, i basically never use my right side mirror.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Put me in e92 camp as well. I think they look way better than the e90.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A buddy of mine just bought this M4 GTS.

Some of you will hate to hear that it's replacing the E92 M3 he sold a couple months ago. He's going to race it at least. He still has his E46 M3 too. He settled for this over a 997 or 991 GT3.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's apparently GTS buying season. This one just arrived at my buddy's house, has 72 miles on it, and the seller also has a Lime Rock E92 with 6,500 on it that might get picked up next...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

a Lime Rock E92 with 6,500 on it that might get picked up next...
oh gently caress. 6 speed?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, my friend doesn't like the fact it has the black wheels but that's pretty easily remedied so I'm cheering him on to buying it too since he clearly has Way Too Much Money and I enjoy watching.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My friends with GTS are both pissed off that they bought them because it’s turns out nothing is adjustable and compared to their GT3 RS’ it just seems like bmw are taking the piss for the money. I’m curious to see how your boys get on and what they think

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Three happy years with my 320i, here’s hoping for many more.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are E90s past the point where many of them got into the hands of owners who kept on deferring maintenance, and now are ticking time bombs?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

A buddy of mine just bought this M4 GTS.

Some of you will hate to hear that it's replacing the E92 M3 he sold a couple months ago. He's going to race it at least. He still has his E46 M3 too. He settled for this over a 997 or 991 GT3.

LMK if he needs someone to check it out before he gets it. :getin:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Are E90s past the point where many of them got into the hands of owners who kept on deferring maintenance, and now are ticking time bombs?

yes absolutely

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yes, with the caveat that the n54/n55 are gonna be a lot more susceptible than the n52: ie, walnut blasting. i guess the n51s are coming out of their SULEV warranties soon too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
N55s apparently don't really need walnut blasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Residency Evil posted:

Yes. Definitely yes. The groups/forum shows what the current ownership is looking like. People buying valved exhausts from alibaba...people asking what kind of tires to use (just get the Michelins), cheap coil overs, etc. When you are on the 4th and 5th owners. People are spending three grand on wraps instead of rod bearings. Much like all previous generations of M3 there is a delta occurring where the beaters are slipping deeper into "beater" status but the well maintained, low to moderate mileage cars are sticking at their current value (Hi! That is me, and Ether Frenzy).

Baader-Meinhof Effect is definitely happening to me, but I have noticed an uptick in car journalist people referencing the E9X generation a lot as "holy crap that car was really great". I listen to Matt Farah's podcast and he personally has referenced it a few times. On a Q&A with another journalist guy someone asked if we had reached Peak Car, and he specifically called out the E9X as Peak M3 with regard to being a "perfect" car. This is because cars are getting too big, too bloated, way more powerful, way too tech heavy etc etc. I feel the same way though, I see new cars coming out and the ones that excite me* are well beyond my grasp (Porsche 911 GT cars) or they are too tech heavy. Basically this car is not being made today and BMW will not be bringing anything out like this again. They will bring out faster cars and still exciting cars but nothing like this. I like to think about ten years time from now how much fun it will be to drive. People will be like "WHAT? Four doors, V8 and eight thousand revs?" while they hop in their electric jaloppy making beep-boops and zoom off with jetson noises trailing them.

I will never sell this car unless it is for a tremendous sum of money.

*The only exception here would be the new Ford Bronco. If I could fit my kids in one I would absolutely buy one. A 200 series Land Cruiser is also exciting to me but they are not "new"