Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Black Mesa on the other hand does

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

hobbesmaster posted:

Stargates are Air Force not army.

Do we know if SG-1 was transfered to Space Force?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Are you talking about the alleged underground alien war? lol

Eh, there's some debate among scholars concerning whether or not the creatures at Dulce are really aliens. Going into all the details could be a thread all by itself, but Earth Firstborn is also a common theory, along with Sharders or the possibility that they're just straight up extra-planar. The Zeta Reticuli theory is also questioned by a lot of people; the map Betty Hill drew was compelling but it wasn't airtight. The people who know the truth aren't talking, of course.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Was this covered in the 1988 article about Dulce Base by reputable news source "Weekly World News"?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Eh, there's some debate among scholars concerning whether or not the creatures at Dulce are really aliens. Going into all the details could be a thread all by itself, but Earth Firstborn is also a common theory, along with Sharders or the possibility that they're just straight up extra-planar. The Zeta Reticuli theory is also questioned by a lot of people; the map Betty Hill drew was compelling but it wasn't airtight. The people who know the truth aren't talking, of course.

Is this a bit or do you actually believe this?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Another day volunteering at the Betty Hill Museum and everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the alien

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

Another day volunteering at the Betty Hill Museum and everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the alien

Buddy the alien fucks you

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

VanSandman posted:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i camed and i shardered

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There's something oddly compelling about US military getting into gun battles with alien beings in the southwest

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's something oddly compelling about US military getting into gun battles with alien beings in the southwest

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

People laughed at the idea of the Earth being round once too :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

No they didn't.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You must have confused the earth for your mom. Don't worry, happens to the best of us

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Nuebot posted:

No they didn't.

yes they did fucker

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think people knew the earth was round a looooong time ago when they started travelling on boats

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The earth is flat and shaped sort of like a bottle.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Since like 600BC, it’s been commonly known the world is round. The idea of it only recently being known was basically Protestants spreading anti-catholic propaganda. “Lol those guys are loving stupid and let everyone think the world is flat until just a generation ago hahaha”

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
The earth is shaped like a big dong and I shan't hear differently

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Also just about all those flat earth guys, when pressed, turn out to just be anti semites.

bonus All Gas No Brakes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H110vCGvTmM

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 6, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

Since like 600BC, it’s been commonly known the world is round. The idea of it only recently being known was basically Protestants spreading anti-catholic propaganda. “Lol those guys are loving stupid and let everyone think the world is flat until just a generation ago hahaha”

I think it's also confused with the issue of whether the sun or the earth is the center of the solar system; heliocentricism wasn't proved until the 1500s

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Flat earth is the dumbest poo poo ever and yet Qanon is dumber than that somehow.
That's the reminder that we are one unfortunate media article or famous person endorsement away from flatearthers being more than a fringe handful.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wait, isn't goatse a topographical map of the cosmos?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

VanSandman posted:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RFC2324 posted:

wait, isn't goatse a topographical map of the cosmos?

This is important. This means something.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Here's a video that shortly explains how they calculated the circumference of the earth at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw30CgaXiQw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes#Measurement_of_Earth%27s_circumference

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Flannelette posted:

Flat earth is the dumbest poo poo ever and yet Qanon is dumber than that somehow.
That's the reminder that we are one unfortunate media article or famous person endorsement away from flatearthers being more than a fringe handful.

Qanon is a natural progression from flat earthers, so that's not too surprising.

See also: In search of a flat earth, a documentary I recommend watching.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i love it when flat earth people do experiments to prove the earth is flat and accidentally prove that its round and sit there feeling like assholes

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Caesar Saladin posted:

i love it when flat earth people do experiments to prove the earth is flat and accidentally prove that its round and sit there feeling like assholes

IDK watching them prove themselves wrong then immediately discard the evidence and try again ad infinitum is pretty disheartening

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That "pray the curve away" comment is amazing tbh

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Flannelette posted:

Didn’t B.o.B. push it into the mainstream fringe stuff when he endorsed it while he was still famous?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

There's a companion video to 'In Search of a Flat Earth' which is just about the experiment and has high-res video of the demonstration of the Earth's curvature. It's incredibly beautiful so I'll drop a link here in case anyone else is as easily hypnotized by this kind of thing as I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MboQzXO1o&t=275s

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I remember doing my due diligence and getting a long stick, a tape measure and sorting out to two different places a known distance apart

I mean obviously earth round, but it's nice to see it with your own eyes (like dan Olsen up there)

So with high school level math you can prove earth curved in a week or so, probably deduce heaps more if you spent more time on it

Folding ideas is right, it's not about the fact of the matter, it's finding community in a shared sense of forbidden knowledge

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Feels like if you already believe in one massive worldwide conspiracy of millions it will be easier to believe in more.

Like, no dis on religious peeps, but if you believe in young earth creationism the only way it works is if there is an ongoing (demonic?) conspiracy of millions. All the geologists, anthropologists, biologists, and many other scientists have seen the very obvious and compelling evidence that the earth and all living things on the earth have been around for less than 10,000 years. Watch a youtube, the evidence that the world is thousands, not millions, of years old is so obvious and simple that even a small child could easily understand it. So the only explanation for "old earth" being the mainstream explanation is that there is a massive worldwide conspiracy of tens of millions of people who know the truth and deliberately lie about it and actively work to discredit people who tell the truth.

Once you accept that, it is no big deal to accept that there is also a massive conspiracy to conceal the true disk-like nature of the planet. Or a conspiracy of cannibalistic paedophiles leading every government on earth. Or a conspiracy to hide the fact that the USA is a corporation, not a government, and by saying the right magic words you divest yourself of the obligations (but not the benefits) of residency and citizenship. Or cancer is easily cured by [woo] that a massive Big Pharma conspiracy is supressing. Covid is actually just a cold and every country on earth has exploded their economy just to get a single american politician out of office 4 years early.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

a conspiracy of cannibalistic paedophiles leading every government on earth

I mean. maybe not the cannibalism, but

I'm just saying this one seems more plausible than the others

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Facebook Aunt posted:

Feels like if you already believe in one massive worldwide conspiracy of millions it will be easier to believe in more.

Like, no dis on religious peeps, but if you believe in young earth creationism the only way it works is if there is an ongoing (demonic?) conspiracy of millions. All the geologists, anthropologists, biologists, and many other scientists have seen the very obvious and compelling evidence that the earth and all living things on the earth have been around for less than 10,000 years. Watch a youtube, the evidence that the world is thousands, not millions, of years old is so obvious and simple that even a small child could easily understand it. So the only explanation for "old earth" being the mainstream explanation is that there is a massive worldwide conspiracy of tens of millions of people who know the truth and deliberately lie about it and actively work to discredit people who tell the truth.

Once you accept that, it is no big deal to accept that there is also a massive conspiracy to conceal the true disk-like nature of the planet. Or a conspiracy of cannibalistic paedophiles leading every government on earth. Or a conspiracy to hide the fact that the USA is a corporation, not a government, and by saying the right magic words you divest yourself of the obligations (but not the benefits) of residency and citizenship. Or cancer is easily cured by [woo] that a massive Big Pharma conspiracy is supressing. Covid is actually just a cold and every country on earth has exploded their economy just to get a single american politician out of office 4 years early.

my childhood church explained creationism, or the logic that allowed that, as being that satan planted a bunch of very convincing evidence of evolution to trick people. worth noting that it was explained as a silly belief because 7 days obviously wasn't 7 literal days, and once you accept that it makes sense to accept that god guides evolution.

the anti-science religious nuts annoy me so much because there is no need

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

my childhood church explained creationism, or the logic that allowed that, as being that satan planted a bunch of very convincing evidence of evolution to trick people. worth noting that it was explained as a silly belief because 7 days obviously wasn't 7 literal days, and once you accept that it makes sense to accept that god guides evolution.

the anti-science religious nuts annoy me so much because there is no need

Wait, if Satan can plant all of this very convincing evidence all over the world, why can't he write the bible himself?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nebrilos posted:

Wait, if Satan can plant all of this very convincing evidence all over the world, why can't he write the bible himself?

why do you think I always found it so weird that everyone talked about a church that didn't teach them to actually question things? it took me years to really wrap my head around southern baptists

it was a methodist church full of teachers. it had its downsides, but stifling a desire to learn wasn't one

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Dabir posted:

I mean. maybe not the cannibalism, but

I'm just saying this one seems more plausible than the others

It’s not a conspiracy though, even if every world leader is actually a pedophile. They’d have to all be coordinating for it to be a conspiracy, and they clearly only work with local fixers and small organizations. Pedophiles in positions of power merely manifest many small, independent conspiracies, not a global network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pvt.Scott posted:

It’s not a conspiracy though, even if every world leader is actually a pedophile. They’d have to all be coordinating for it to be a conspiracy, and they clearly only work with local fixers and small organizations. Pedophiles in positions of power merely manifest many small, independent conspiracies, not a global network.

That's debatable.