Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Burns posted:

It seems a lot of mods like Frostfall, campfire and Immersive Creatures that predate SE seem to have all kinds of problems with meshes, textures etc and related CTDs in SE. Im reading some discouraging comments on Immersive Creatures although there seems to be a patch to fix some issues.

From personal experience, Immersive Creatures is certainly crashy, though much less so if you turn off its additional spawns. (I think it's one of the wolf cub meshes that's to blame. I'm sure I saw a mesh fix for it somewhere at one point but damned if I know where now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I don't have problems with IC or its increased spawns as much as scripts and new monsters from something like mihail mods

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been running Frostfall and Campfire on SE for years without issue on that end of things. I needed some skyui plugin to get the warmth and coverage effects added back into the ui, but as far as mesh problems and crashes go, it's been rock solid.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Just found out about this modder (Felisky384) who makes some awesome stuff:

MiniMap! https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/49490
Works pretty good, birds from Skybirds show up on it so sometimes I'll have a lot of little dots going nuts

Copy Character Appearances: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/38400
I used this to copy the Conan Model from Hyborian Age so I'm running around Skyrim as Arnold lol

Copy and Paste in Console: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30928
Holy crap this is useful, only bug I get is I set the paste key to v instead of END (default) and when I ctrl-v it puts a v in front of the clipboard content but it puts the cursor right next to it so it's easy enough to hit backspace and remove it

Display Enemy Level: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/18533
Does what it says

Locational Damage(SKSE Plugin) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/46932
I haven't tried this yet but installing it now

Burns
May 10, 2008

There was a mod i saw in some video where basically certain creatures like draugr have immunity to regular weapons. Drewmer constructs also had changes. I cant recall what the name of this mod was for the life of me.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Burns posted:

There was a mod i saw in some video where basically certain creatures like draugr have immunity to regular weapons. Drewmer constructs also had changes. I cant recall what the name of this mod was for the life of me.

Know Your Enemy maybe?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I tried to do a playthrough of Oblivion but couldn't get past how everything feels so dated in a bad way. Truly feels like a beta of Skyrim, with none of the charm of Morrowind.

So instead I'm diving back into Skyrim - last time I did it with Lexy's LOTD but I think I'm doing Keizaal this time and seeing if I can actually get to the DLC before I stop playing - Lexy's just has too much drat content.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there any good faction (Companions, Thieves guild, ect.) overhauls that make engaging with them a bit more involves and fun for the Special Edition?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
People have tried, but not really.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, most of the faction mods just add artificial delays/extra radiant quests, stuff like that. There's at least one College of Winterhold that tries to make it more like actually attending a university (where you have to attend classes and do homework and poo poo), which sounds kind of like videogame hell to me, but some people might like it.

There are also the various "X For Good Guys" mods that try to add some texture to poo poo like the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. I haven't messed much with them beyond trying out Dark Brotherhood For Good Guys and bouncing off hard very quickly when they tried to make you feel better about assassinating Narfi by declaring out of nowhere that oh uh he's totally a rapist. I do like the "Don't Be A Milk-Drinker" mod for the Companions that takes out the "go beat up this random person" radiant quests.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Those companions quests are the worst. Skyrim's, and possibly all of Tamriel's, premiere mercenary and fighters organization, taking jobs to rough up random farmers. Good job.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I found it to be spot on. See the Companioms are really just poser losers. They dont even bother helping Whiterun out when a dragon shows up.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Burns posted:

I found it to be spot on. See the Companioms are really just poser losers. They dont even bother helping Whiterun out when a dragon shows up.

Agreed.

Is legacy of the dragonborn any good? And are dragons bridge mods worth it - looking at Rodryks, its looks good but I've never used DynDOLOD which is a requirement and I'm not sure its worth the effort.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

LOTD is good, overall, though it does add some weapons and items of questionable quality. Most of those are simple museum fodder, though.

It's nice if you want to collect stuff. That's its primary focus. It does add in other things (including rolling in stuff from other mods, like the Dev Avesa airship), including numerous quests that are actually voiced pretty well for a mod, but mostly it's about collecting things.

The biggest issue with it is that it inevitably touches so many things in so many places that it pretty much requires a bunch of patches to either be compatible with X Y or Z, or not break poo poo outright. So long as you're willing to sort that stuff out (and for the most part it is straightforward), then I like it.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Gonkish posted:

LOTD is good, overall, though it does add some weapons and items of questionable quality. Most of those are simple museum fodder, though.

It's nice if you want to collect stuff. That's its primary focus. It does add in other things (including rolling in stuff from other mods, like the Dev Avesa airship), including numerous quests that are actually voiced pretty well for a mod, but mostly it's about collecting things.

The biggest issue with it is that it inevitably touches so many things in so many places that it pretty much requires a bunch of patches to either be compatible with X Y or Z, or not break poo poo outright. So long as you're willing to sort that stuff out (and for the most part it is straightforward), then I like it.

ty, i installed it and so far there's some random items/gems here and there and dig sites in some ruins. cool i guess? may as well keep it around and see what happens.

i also saw a giant on top of a dragon the other day. didn't get a screenshot though :negative:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Sorry if this js the wrong thread. I never beat Oblivion when it came out and I've been meaning to. Is there a general modding guide for it? Not looking to do much, just want to improve draw distance and visuals a bit, and a mod that tweaks the level scaling.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elderbean posted:

Sorry if this js the wrong thread. I never beat Oblivion when it came out and I've been meaning to. Is there a general modding guide for it? Not looking to do much, just want to improve draw distance and visuals a bit, and a mod that tweaks the level scaling.

I used a slightly older version of this
http://squiggumsguides.wikidot.com/oblivion
you can skip most of the content add-ons if you don't want them. It does take a minute to do though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
funny i was going to mention oblivion earlier today, before i accidentally wiped my modlist (i wanted to resurrect an old installation).

i played it a few years ago, and quite liked most of maskar's overhaul.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Ascension is the coolest overhaul for oblivion, basically vanilla+ by the same person who does JSawyer Ultimate for FNV. if you follow its recommended mods, add Av Latta Magicka, then add whatever visual mods you want you'll have a fun playthrough if you can stand the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Ascension is the coolest overhaul for oblivion, basically vanilla+ by the same person who does JSawyer Ultimate for FNV. if you follow its recommended mods, add Av Latta Magicka, then add whatever visual mods you want you'll have a fun playthrough if you can stand the game.

Since I'm gonna have to start from the beginning anyway, I might give that a go next time. PushTheWinButton did good stuff with FNV.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm struggling to get started. Starting your mod set up from scratch is always such a daunting, gargantuan task.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 31, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's less that and more trying to remember how wyrebash works, ini tweaking, figuring out compatibility issues etc. It can take ages.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm looking to get back into Skyrim. What's a good mod loadout or some interesting mods for Special Edition?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I'm looking to get back into Skyrim. What's a good mod loadout or some interesting mods for Special Edition?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/26702

Burns
May 10, 2008

I decided to mosey on over to fort dawnguard to see the immersive dawnguard fort mod. Turns out all of tge dawnguard characters are missing.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

https://github.com/wabbajack-tools/mod-lists/blob/master/modlist-descriptions.md

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Seriously, after using wabbajack I'd never go back to doing this poo poo myself. I'm using Elysium and you need a beefy pc to run it but it's pretty drat crazy what Skyrim can look like ten years after it came out.

edit: one downside is that all the npc's look like supermodels but whatever, i can live with it

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Burns posted:

I decided to mosey on over to fort dawnguard to see the immersive dawnguard fort mod. Turns out all of tge dawnguard characters are missing.

They made a habit of picking fights with vampires, and, well...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do the "Go away Aerin" mods work again? I seem to remember that one-or-the-other of them stopped working and, while I don't want to kill him, I'll be damned if I want him hanging around Lakeview (probably creeping on Lucia and Sofie). I wish there was a way to get him to take holy orders or do some speed dating or some poo poo. He could marry that nice miner lady from Shor's Stone?

E: Damnit, the mod that adds a Kitchen to the back room of the houses got delisted? :smith:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 5, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone have much experience with Nemesis and SkySA? I've got FNIS installed but I don't think I'm actually using it for anything except maybe XP32.

I've been wanting to fix the combat animations for a while but when I look it's all one animation and dozen anime animations, then I saw this and it looks promising.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/48500

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Does anyone have much experience with Nemesis and SkySA? I've got FNIS installed but I don't think I'm actually using it for anything except maybe XP32.

I've been wanting to fix the combat animations for a while but when I look it's all one animation and dozen anime animations, then I saw this and it looks promising.

Nemesis is much better and has built in scripts that tell FNIS-based mods how to work properly in its engine, so even if you don't use it for anything it's probably worth it to make the jump to Nemesis.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Wiltsghost posted:

Seriously, after using wabbajack I'd never go back to doing this poo poo myself. I'm using Elysium and you need a beefy pc to run it but it's pretty drat crazy what Skyrim can look like ten years after it came out.

edit: one downside is that all the npc's look like supermodels but whatever, i can live with it

Elysium looks cool but the extra content in living skyrim looked promising. Tbf its probably all terrible but may as well try it out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The process for installing and maintaining Nemesis is more or less the same as with FNIS, and it seems to support a lot more.

Dynamic Animation Replacer, which is another common thing all these fancy animation mods use, is even easier. It's just an SKSE plugin and as long as the mod maker has done their job right it's just a matter of installing stuff like any other mod.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Going through some of the "this mod is required by:" list for DAR makes me realize how behind I am with the cool mods out there. Theres a sekiro combat mod even.

Burns
May 10, 2008

It is astonishing whats come in the last year alone, for this 10 yr old game.

Though I find that Oldrim was a bit more stable when it came to modding, but thats just my observation with dealing with SE.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was thinking of getting SE soon just to have it run better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I was thinking of getting SE soon just to have it run better.

Base SE runs better than base Oldrim, increased destabilaztion after modding likely comes down to the mods they were using.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

ESLs being a SE thing is also a huge draw. The load order I've been building since late 2019 is at ~1175 active plugins and still stable.

Most of those are conflict resolution patches I've made or ESLed mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Wait, someone clarify what Wabbajack is as it sounds intriguing.