Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It sounds like you’re contact tracing a completely hypothetical and very unlikely COVID case here though. There’s no “it”.

Yes, I was responding to someone asking me that if there were a case of this hypothetical covid, how would I have known it was from a particular person. I told them that there was really only one other viable option, none of which matters because presumably it isn't an issue.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh we don’t really need to put trusting the science in sarcastic scare quote things if you are both vaccinated.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve decided to invent the term vaccine Luddite which is a whole different thing but often not separate from covid agoraphobia

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

I can't even blame him, he's ~trusting the science~ that the vaccines do their thing and the "cdc said" if you're vaxxed open 'er up...and he seems to be having an inconveniently timed mid-life crisis.

Yeah, there's a lot of that at the moment. :glomp: Hopefully you're just fine my dude.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Welp, it's been officially about.... 28 hours now since I took the second shot.

I actually haven't really had much effects aside from the sore arm and a bit of soreness in general on the side I got the injection. And I've definitely been drat tired and sleeping a lot more than usual since I got it, today especially, to be honest. I suppose I've been more dehydrated/thirsty than normal, too. Nothing dramatic, though, thank god. Hopefully this is all it is. I may have gotten COVID last year in spring of 2020 before testing was widely available, which might partially explain why I had so little effect. But who knows!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really hate how dumb the systems are.

I got both of my jabs like 6 weeks ago through the LA county department of public health.

Today I get about 5 calls from them saying that I am eligible to get the jab!

Like how is that possible that they weren’t working off a list of people that haven’t gone yet?

So dumb.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

MarcusSA posted:

I really hate how dumb the systems are.

I got both of my jabs like 6 weeks ago through the LA county department of public health.

Today I get about 5 calls from them saying that I am eligible to get the jab!

Like how is that possible that they weren’t working off a list of people that haven’t gone yet?

So dumb.

look nerd, it’s not like we had a year to prepare for trying to give everyone in the country a vaccine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nexous posted:

look nerd, it’s not like we had a year to prepare for trying to give everyone in the country a vaccine

I know right??

Oh and none of the states talk to each other so lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Melbourne outbreak update: yesterday we only had 2 reported cases of community spread so everyone was high fiving each other and talking about how we were making progress and hopefully we'd be able to end the lockdown soon

Today we had 11 new cases:
https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1401676322741567508

Yeah I think those high fives might have been a little premature, guys. :hmmno:

Every time another person pops positive the contact tracers get a list of the places they visited when they were potentially infectious and that list now has over 350 entries: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Melbourne outbreak update: yesterday we only had 2 reported cases of community spread so everyone was high fiving each other and talking about how we were making progress and hopefully we'd be able to end the lockdown soon

Today we had 11 new cases:
https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1401676322741567508

Yeah I think those high fives might have been a little premature, guys. :hmmno:

Every time another person pops positive the contact tracers get a list of the places they visited when they were potentially infectious and that list now has over 350 entries: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites
It's not surprising, really, given that there are three unconnected outbreaks involved.

The number of exposure sites is a bit of a worry because the list is so long that a fair number of people will just skim it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Castaign posted:

Interesting, and not something I knew. Thanks for the info!

I still think that the claim that over one fifth of vaccinated people will test positive after Covid exposure requires some supporting evidence.

I don’t just make these things up.

quote:

Overall, vaccination reduced the risk of asymptomatic and symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection by 79% in vaccinated employees compared with their unvaccinated colleagues. An analysis of asymptomatic infections alone found vaccination reduced the risk by 72%.

press, study

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The good news for Melbourne is that 8 of those 11 cases are people who were contacts of the first cases, so they've been in quarantine this whole time.

Only 3 of today's cases have actually been out in the community.

Also, no mystery transmission, everyone has been linked back to a known case.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Platystemon posted:

press, study

80% vaccine efficacy isn't the same thing as 20% infection rate if exposed, which is what you claimed.

I'm not trying to be a pedantic jerk here, but accurate numbers and descriptions are important when we're discussing risk levels.

Edit: I should probably add that I recognize that your contributions to this thread are overall both useful and informative, and that this is a singular instance of imprecision from someone who is otherwise reliably excellent in their posts.

Castaign fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 7, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Castaign posted:

80% vaccine efficacy isn't the same thing as 20% infection rate if exposed, which is what you claimed.

I'm not trying to be a pedantic jerk here, but accurate numbers and descriptions are important when we're discussing risk levels.

if exposed, to a scenario that would infect an unvaccinated person

What kind of exposure did you expect?

You have to measure against the unvaccinated baseline. Anything else in nonsense and gives you results like “the vaccines are 99.95 percent effective in the real world!” Left unstated is that with the same “analysis”, not getting the vaccine is 99% effective because only three percent of the unvaccinated population tested positive in the same timeframe.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 7, 2021

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Platystemon posted:

I don't know. Maybe the exposure most of us regularly experience on a daily basis? As a vaccinated person I don't have a 1 in 5 chance of infection every time I interact with a Covid positive person.

Come the gently caress on. What you said was objectively wrong.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

You have to measure against the unvaccinated baseline. Anything else in nonsense and gives you results like “the vaccines are 99.95 percent effective in the real world!” Left unstated is that with the same “analysis”, not getting the vaccine is 99% effective because only three percent of the unvaccinated population tested positive in the same timeframe.

Okay, just saw your edit. Yeah, I'm with you (though I think you meant 97% not 99%). But if this is how you're discussing numbers, you have to be clear that this is how you're discussing numbers. You weren't clear.

Castaign fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 7, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sorry if I caused you undue consternation about vaccine efficacy, but I dispute that it was objectively wrong.

At worst, my phrasing was a slightly sloppy.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I’m sorry if I caused you undue consternation about vaccine efficacy, but I dispute that it was objectively wrong.

At worst, my phrasing was a slightly sloppy.

Okay. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with your admission that your phrasing wasn't wrong but was "a slightly sloppy."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I went back and added a phrase to that post and while I’m here, let’s look at this sentence.

quote:

If an effective carrier works in the facility, someone’s going to pop positive.

In drafting that post, I almost called the carrier a superspreader, but decided that was tautological. I considered elaborating on it. I didn’t then, but now I will.

It’s not enough for an infected person to walk into the facility. The spread of this disease is “lumpy”, or in technical terms, it is “overdispersed”. Most carriers infect no one. Some infect dozens.

Forty percent of people with influenza infect no one. Infecting one or two people is common. Infecting large numbers is rare. With the coronavirus, it’s estimated that seventy percent of carriers infect no one. It’s partly behavioral, but there is a strong physiological basis as well. Some people emit way more ærosols than others.

“80% of new infections are driven by <20% of infected individuals”

Here’s a short article written by a journalist on the phenomenon.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 7, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

HazCat posted:

The good news for Melbourne is that 8 of those 11 cases are people who were contacts of the first cases, so they've been in quarantine this whole time.

Only 3 of today's cases have actually been out in the community.

Also, no mystery transmission, everyone has been linked back to a known case.

And anecdotally I am seeing way more businesses enforcing or at least putting signs up for QR code check-in, even just for picking up takeaway.

I think most people were basically only doing it before if they were sitting down to eat somewhere. Not for retail or grocery or anything. I wasn't, anyway.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Platystemon posted:

press, study

I wondered about these numbers, since the 79% number is so different than the 90+% efficacy for fully vaccinated folks. Is it a difference of symptomatic vs asymptomatic. Reading the second link, this includes data for partially vaccinated individuals:

quote:

Among vaccinated employees, 51 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 during follow-up (41 before and 10 after the second dose); 29 (56.9%) were diagnosed through asymptomatic screening.

They break down the IRR later based on time since dose:

quote:

e IRR for positive results via asymptomatic screening from 12 days after the first vaccine dose until the second dose (median interval between doses, 21 days [range, 11-49 days]) was 0.58 (95% CI, 0.30-1.13), within 7 days after the second dose, 0.35 (95% CI, 0.11-1.09), and 7 days or more after the second dose, was 0.10 (95% CI, 0.04-0.22).

I just noted that this was summarized in the press release version:

quote:

Protection was even greater for employees who completed two doses. A week or more after receiving the second dose, vaccinated employees were 96% less likely than unvaccinated workers to become infected with SARS-CoV-2. When researchers looked just at asymptomatic infections, vaccination reduced the risk by 90%.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 7, 2021

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

My primary point was that

if exposed [to a situation that would infect an unvaccinated person]

Is hugely different than

if exposed

I recognize though that this might be my own hangup, and that most people would have understood your meaning. Apologies for the derail.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freebooter posted:

And anecdotally I am seeing way more businesses enforcing or at least putting signs up for QR code check-in, even just for picking up takeaway.

I think most people were basically only doing it before if they were sitting down to eat somewhere. Not for retail or grocery or anything. I wasn't, anyway.

Yeah they toughened up the rules because these new strains are more contagious and more likely to pass with casual contact, shops now have to display QR codes as well.

There's been a few businesses who arked up about the whole QR deal and that did NOT go over well with the general public, oh boy

https://www.facebook.com/thedssouvlaki/posts/4340398892661153

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah they toughened up the rules because these new strains are more contagious and more likely to pass with casual contact, shops now have to display QR codes as well.

There's been a few businesses who arked up about the whole QR deal and that did NOT go over well with the general public, oh boy

https://www.facebook.com/thedssouvlaki/posts/4340398892661153

There's been a lot of gnashing of teeth in this thread through the pandemic about how the virus was always going to rip through America because Americans are entitled and stupid, but this is just another example that people everyone are entitled and stupid, it's just that some of us are lucky enough to still have competent governments to protect us from ourselves.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Which truck stops have the best Covid protocols because I sure could use a slightly sloppy iykwim

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

Which truck stops have the best Covid protocols because I sure could use a slightly sloppy iykwim

Obviously Love's. It's right on the sign.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

I thought Dairy Queen was the best place for you know what

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sup plague island here with it’s Indian variant running so wild amongst the unvaccinated youf I’m surprised the rest of Europe does not have warships in the channel.

78.6% of adults 1 dose of vaccine
53% 2nd dose
35,796 positive tests over last 7 days
+52.9% on last week
-0.3% hospital admissions

1 death today.

Scientists are awesome.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Miracle. loving. Drugs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Sup plague island here with it’s Indian variant running so wild amongst the unvaccinated youf I’m surprised the rest of Europe does not have warships in the channel.

53% 2nd dose
+52.9% on last week

1 death today.

Scientists are awesome.

looking not forward to this loving thing hitting us in winter with 97,000% vaccinated with 1/10th of a shot per their etsy vaccination card

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s the stats from the NHS, we each have a NHS number and we need to use it when booking to get a jab. They then add it to your medical records which is held by your GP and is available to view via the app. As is the vaccination status.

When you click on the app a QR code is generated which is then changed by the app after a month.

This is mine, at the top is my name and date of birth

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 8, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

learnincurve posted:

53% 2nd dose
+52.9% on last week

1 death today.

Scientists are awesome.

daily infections in hawaii are up 500-1000% in most counties over last week

"OPEN IT UP!!!" say government officials

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fur20 posted:

daily infections in hawaii are up 500-1000% in most counties over last week

"OPEN IT UP!!!" say government officials

Not sure where you are seeing that

https://health.hawaii.gov/coronavirusdisease2019/what-you-should-know/current-situation-in-hawaii/

I checked a few other places and they show the same thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure where you are seeing that

two weeks ago we had like 1-4 cases a day on big island and maui, the local news is reporting 15-20 a day now.

i hate that the residents generally care to get vaccinated and try to observe safe behaviors, but tourists are like gently caress you im paying to be here i do what i like

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The Big Island is having a spike, Maui and Honolulu counties are going down. The state average has remained the same through that. Now, why Hawai'i island is having a spike, I dunno. Could be the grad parties, could be the punatics going whole hog on the outdoors mask relaxation. Gotta have more data.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

El Fideo posted:

The Big Island is having a spike, Maui and Honolulu counties are going down. The state average has remained the same through that. Now, why Hawai'i island is having a spike, I dunno. Could be the grad parties, could be the punatics going whole hog on the outdoors mask relaxation. Gotta have more data.

Doesn’t the big island have like 1/10 the tourists everywhere else does though? poo poo probably less I imagine.

I was just there and Honolulu was packed (well as packed as could be with only Americans) and if there wasn’t a spike from that then :shrug:

Also everyone was wearing masks inside as per the mandate. I maybe saw one or two people that weren’t the whole time I was there.

Edit also like everyone I talked with while I was there was fully vaccinated. It’s a small sample size but it seems like most people are.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 7, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

El Fideo posted:

the original spike started in a cluster in the jail, but after that who knows. if it was grad parties you'd think you'd see the spike on oahu.

MarcusSA posted:

I was just there and Honolulu was packed (well as packed as could be with only Americans) and if there wasn’t a spike from that then :shrug:

honolulu hasn't really appreciably had a lower rate of tourism if you look at three months ago compared to now, so incoming infections should remain the same. they've been open the same amount since say february, which is when the mayor first started saying things like "i don't think we need to worry if the numbers go up any more because we have vaccines now we can handle it."

the news reports police handing out thousands of "warnings" instead of fines and prison time and the mayor of oahu says things like oh we shouldn't be so mean to tourists what are they going to do if they get a misdemeanor on their record. the residents are, to their credit, mostly responsible individuals. but our public officials are assholes dancing at the end of strings made of money.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 7, 2021

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I mean, we have more space to put the tourists, but our economy is still centered on them. The agriculture days are long gone.

The state's done a great job of dealing with the pandemic, over all. Some big problems with the unemployment office for a few months, but the biggest failure is the Micronesian immigrant population. They're the bulk of the hotel work force, there's a high incidence of multi-generational households, and government outreach to that community is for poo poo. More tourism is going to cause covid to tear through their population if we can't get them vaccinated.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Obviously Love's. It's right on the sign.

I moved cross country in November and Love’s was a fuckin oasis of covid safety and the cleanest bathrooms I’ve ever seen

A+ truck stop

Probably a little less covid safe-y these days though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

In the UK here, been trying to get my GP to sign up my boyfriend for almost a month. "Oh we didn't get your form" (they did, it just took them 2 weeks to reply to the email and then they don't know how emails work) "oh you didn't fill in your previous uk address and gp" (he's moved here from germany and doesn't have either) "oh you need an nhs number to sign up!" (the way to get an nhs number is... to sign up with a gp!)" "I'll have to ask the manager" (the manager only visits the practice on tuesday mornings, good luck!)

It's incredibly frustrating and upsetting. I just want him to be safe. :( Gonna try again with the manager tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, phone the cqc and lodge a formal complaint.