Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Reality Protester posted:

kwahi won a title for the raptors and then left that loser city. i like him.

yeah, the nearest that i can see is that the spurs wanted him to come back earlier than he thought was right from that ankle injury. even if the spurs medical staff was actually correct and he was really ready, i never got the impression from anything that he was sandbagging, that he really thought he needed more time, and that he wasn't gonna risk his future career for the spurs because the spurs docs said he was good. i get how that basically meant he had to leave san antonio but lol at trusting anything a team says over anything a player says, ever, even their doctors. aside from that, he seems to be doing the regular player thing of trying to play on good teams with players he likes, which really riles up some fans

just glad to hear that he wasn't like convicted of scamming retirees out of their life savings or being an abuser or some poo poo. it's crazy how good the league is at scrubbing that poo poo out of wikipedia and google and whatnot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Azathoth posted:

can someone fill me in on the kawhi hate? like, i get that some people don't like that he's not emotional and is a private guy but in a league jampacked with rapists and domestic abusers, he's so far down the list of people to dislike i just don't understand it

ableism

also the fact that he did load management to rest while he was recovering from injury thus hurting nba profits during big matches. people whine that he isn't "hard" or whatever

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

ableism

also the fact that he did load management to rest while he was recovering from injury thus hurting nba profits during big matches. people whine that he isn't "hard" or whatever

lol imagine watching him play and thinking he's soft

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
finals mpvs who play defense are in fact the opposite of soft

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

finals mpvs who play defense are in fact the opposite of soft

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

toughly throwing up 20 terrible 3's per game

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Yossarian-22 posted:

assholes whine that he isn't "hard" or whatever

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

It's because LA and SUPER TEAM and LOYALTY TO THE FANS.

I'll be honest I was a little eye rolly at the LA move but whatever. All but the top guys in the league don't have tons of control over their location and pay, so it's understandable that the top guys will use their leverage to go where they want and get the team they want. I don't fully agree that that's cool and good because usually these moves are predicated on forcing other players to move and impacts their future earnings, which doesn't seem very solidarity imo - but I guess they're also not able to mitigate that in the current league and CBA

As to the injury thing, I don't know if it ever really got explained what was going on and that's fine. Wasn't it some degenerative thing in his hip / quad and that's why he continues to need load management? I think some of that ambiguity (which was probably amplified by owners and media) might explain fan negativity, since it's sports and you know... Toughness and telling your body NOT TODAY mindset

That said Kawhi is fine. Boring and honestly just as corny as most of the stars with the few public moments that have been out there (his personal brand logo thing). No reason to hate him beyond being an LA super team super villain

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I hate apple time

Hate it!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Luka is no where near Lebron Lmao

LeBron is unironically washed my man

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

LeBron is unironically washed my man

this year

I thought the context was career

my bad

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

This tweet is a case study in the Curry disease

https://twitter.com/espnstatsinfo/status/1401646010326302722?s=21

I think you all can figure out what is wrong with it

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1401675614294200325

You Do Not Know Basketball.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

assists lmao

the game wasn’t even close

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

get luka some help means get people to play defense because he cannot

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

penny hardaway jr. was the mavs second best player and they took a better team to 7 is the point

Luka/Penny should not be comparable to Kawhi/George yet it was???????

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m amazed that how many points a guy scores in a loss is a sign of nba value to all of you. it fits right into your Steph Curry worship

and assists !! lmao

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
How can anyone even say LeBron when talking about greats when he committed the most unholy of sins- twice! Motherfucker ghosted his hometown team twice when they set to turn into garbage bottom of the league. The ultimate coward.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

penny hardaway jr. was the mavs second best player and they took a better team to 7 is the point

Luka/Penny should not be comparable to Kawhi/George yet it was???????

C'mon math nerd, the equation is simple.

Loss=Star cannot play defense
Win=Star scoring and assist directly caused win

This is what we need to know to realize that Rudy Gobert can never win on his own but also Luka can never win because he's not a dominant defender.

You doubt? Well Rudy Gobert is in the second round with his TEAM, and Luka is going home ALONE

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luka doesn’t play ANY defense . he doesn’t even have to be dominant for the team to be much better . alternatively they could just make him the point guard and live with it .

he wasn’t the best player in that game and they lost. I’m sorry

edit

it appears he has been playing as the Pg

sorry

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Jokic MVP

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's hard to hate kawhi when he just does what he wants and doesn't care too much about his star power or whatever. it's clear there's nothing toronto could have done to get him to stay and that's cool, the championship and the parade is the happiest that city is ever going to be considering the state of the leafs

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

does Toronto still have that ginger guy who takes the metro to the stadium? probably not, that was a long time ago.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kawhi going to LA because he wanted to be close to where he grew up and joining the third most popular team in the state to do so is much cooler than LeBron joining the most popular team in the country because he wanted it to be easier to get to production meetings for Warner Media Properties: The Movie.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Asproigerosis posted:

How can anyone even say LeBron when talking about greats when he committed the most unholy of sins- twice! Motherfucker ghosted his hometown team twice when they set to turn into garbage bottom of the league. The ultimate coward.

in his defense, Cleveland

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

does Toronto still have that ginger guy who takes the metro to the stadium? probably not, that was a long time ago.

nope, but the team is still incredibly lovable. true friendship ball through and through.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think Lebrons family also just liked LA

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

he won Cleveland the only sports championship in the history of the cursed city

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The raptors won a title wtf?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

The raptors won a title wtf?

yeah . KL is very good

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
critiquing luka is no praxis, friend

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luka is fine and good enough to win a title if they got a true superstar to lead the team ok

he’s really good at offense ok

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

I’m amazed that how many points a guy scores in a loss is a sign of nba value to all of you. it fits right into your Steph Curry worship

and assists !! lmao

things that do not count as offense:

assists

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

Luka is fine and good enough to win a title if they got a true superstar to lead the team ok

he’s really good at offense ok

but i thought luka was just like steph and from the steph school, which means he is not good at offense

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no Luka is better at offense then Steph for sure

at least this year he was

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

what was luka's poit differential? like -15? seems bad

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

what was luka's poit differential? like -15? seems bad

that's the +- but did you look at the +?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

no Luka is better at offense then Steph for sure

at least this year he was

there doesnt really seem to be much to this school of thought you've conjured up. almost like it is ad hoc and full of inconsistencies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was criticizing the tweet which had Steph Curry disease , not Luka

Luka is fine

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

I was criticizing the tweet which had Steph Curry disease , not Luka

Luka is fine

whatever you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

there doesnt really seem to be much to this school of thought you've conjured up. almost like it is ad hoc and full of inconsistencies

Dallas had a good offense

the warriors had a bad offense

Luka and Steph were the players most responsible for offense on their respective teams

is that clear enough