Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've wanted to try Octomore for ages and I've never been able to find any. So recently we took my brother out for his bachelor's party (which is really overstating it, we went to a nice steak place, no strip club or chundering or anything bachelor party stuff like that) and they had it on the whiskey list so I got a pour of it.

Goddamn that was good. I was worried it was just going to be some gimmick, and sort of expected it to just be hugely phenolic like burning band-aids in a campfire, but it was loving delicious. Obviously hugely peaty, you could pick up the peat wafting off it when the server put the glass down on the table, but it was so peaty that it's like the peat just saturated your receptors to the extent that it just turned into its own peculiar sweetness. Delicious. Went down to Total Wine to buy a bottle but they were out of it so I settled for an Islay Barley 2011 and a bottle of Old Forester 1920. Both turned out to be very good, but the 115-proof 1920 is pretty damned special.

To sum up: Octomore good. Other wiskeys good. Still need to get a bottle of Octomore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
My dad is friends with the guy making W.H. McBrayer, so we got a bottle. Holy poo poo, it's great! Unlike any other bourbon I've ever had. Very earthy, and more complex than most bourbons I've had (I generally go with scotch). I understand why it's such a historically important bourbon.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Phanatic posted:

Goddamn that was good. I was worried it was just going to be some gimmick, and sort of expected it to just be hugely phenolic like burning band-aids in a campfire, but it was loving delicious. Obviously hugely peaty, you could pick up the peat wafting off it when the server put the glass down on the table, but it was so peaty that it's like the peat just saturated your receptors to the extent that it just turned into its own peculiar sweetness. Delicious.

I had this exact experience at a tasting a while back. Went in expecting it to be a funny gimmick to wreck my sense of taste with before heading home, but it was actually my favorite of the evening. Great stuff, wish it wasn't so expensive.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
I've been casually looking for a bottle of Naked Grouse for a couple months (not making a special trip, but just looking when I'm in stores), and finally saw one today. I have to say it is really good. I think it's right on par with Johnnie Green as my favorite blended scotch malt. Real solid stuff, better than most of the whiskies I own.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone else try this? The distribution on this is all over the place, but I came across a bottle yesterday and I've heard good things.

It's apparently a blend of 50% MGP 14yr light whiskey and 50% 3yr10mo Bourye from High West.

I was pleasantly surprised. The nose wasn't super complex, but it really evolved in the mouth and for $40 this is a good buy imo.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone else try this? The distribution on this is all over the place, but I came across a bottle yesterday and I've heard good things.

It's apparently a blend of 50% MGP 14yr light whiskey and 50% 3yr10mo Bourye from High West.

I was pleasantly surprised. The nose wasn't super complex, but it really evolved in the mouth and for $40 this is a good buy imo.

Got a bottle a few weeks ago. Toasted coconut flavor right out of the bottle that mellows if you let it sit. Pretty smooth for high proof whiskey too. I liked it. $42 here.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Phanatic posted:

I've wanted to try Octomore for ages and I've never been able to find any. So recently we took my brother out for his bachelor's party (which is really overstating it, we went to a nice steak place, no strip club or chundering or anything bachelor party stuff like that) and they had it on the whiskey list so I got a pour of it.

Goddamn that was good. I was worried it was just going to be some gimmick, and sort of expected it to just be hugely phenolic like burning band-aids in a campfire, but it was loving delicious. Obviously hugely peaty, you could pick up the peat wafting off it when the server put the glass down on the table, but it was so peaty that it's like the peat just saturated your receptors to the extent that it just turned into its own peculiar sweetness. Delicious. Went down to Total Wine to buy a bottle but they were out of it so I settled for an Islay Barley 2011 and a bottle of Old Forester 1920. Both turned out to be very good, but the 115-proof 1920 is pretty damned special.

To sum up: Octomore good. Other wiskeys good. Still need to get a bottle of Octomore.

Love me some Octomore. Found a bottle for my wedding (4.2 I think) and it was outstanding. I got another bottle a few years later (7.1) and while it was great I didn't think it was quite worth the price. I want another one, but it's hard without trying it first. There's a store in Chicago that usually has some. Right now it looks like they have the 11.3 for $280.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tambreet posted:

Love me some Octomore. Found a bottle for my wedding (4.2 I think) and it was outstanding. I got another bottle a few years later (7.1) and while it was great I didn't think it was quite worth the price. I want another one, but it's hard without trying it first. There's a store in Chicago that usually has some. Right now it looks like they have the 11.3 for $280.

Octomore is delicious but nearly impossible to find in my area usually and it makes me so sad. My go-to peaty scotch is Ardbeg 10 but if I see a non-gouged Octomore I'll take the dive.

Related, to celebrate getting fully vaxxed I got a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvrecken recently for the first time and that's a pretty dang good scotch. And just to wildly swing my palate in the other direction I grabbed a Shin 15 year while I was at it. No regrets on either of those bottles.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Opinions on Tomatin 12? I saw descriptions of orange peel, mint, and ginger on the palate that got my attention, but there seem to be a lot of people who think it is too rough.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Tomatin 12 is perfectly fair for the $40 or so it goes for, but don't expect much more than that.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Got a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 year ("The Original") over last week. It's nice, if unremarkable. Very easy to drink, no unpleasant flavors, but also no smoke or peat to speak of. I guess it's a good, accessible Highland single malt.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I really like the Original 10 as a sipper. Thanks for the info on the Tomatin, I think I’d rather put the money towards a more expensive bottle

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

3 of my friends got started on their Whisky journey with the Glenmorangie 10. It rivals Balvenie 12 or the Glenfiddich 12 as an intro malt, plus you can buy their cask finishes and isolate why its worth it to finish in certain casks. The port finish Quinta Ruban is wonderful.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Glenmorangie 10 was my first single malt, and the box came with a pretty nice glass and a taster bottle of the Lasanta. Not a bad deal.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

My first Glenmorangie was actually Lasanta, which was excellent. It's just a little more expensive than the Original/10 year. I'll try the Quinta Ruban next!

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

betterinsodapop posted:

Got a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 year ("The Original") over last week. It's nice, if unremarkable. Very easy to drink, no unpleasant flavors, but also no smoke or peat to speak of. I guess it's a good, accessible Highland single malt.

It is a daily drinker for me, along with Old Pultney and WT 101. All give me good value for my dollar.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

GEEKABALL posted:

It is a daily drinker for me, along with Old Pultney and WT 101. All give me good value for my dollar.
I always try to keep a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 on hand, it's one of the absolute best values out there. I can get 1.75L of WT101 for the same price as 750mL of the Glenmorangie 10.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

betterinsodapop posted:

I always try to keep a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 on hand, it's one of the absolute best values out there.

I laughed the other day in Trader Joe's because they have both WT101 and their house brand high-rye bourbon on the shelf - but the WT is a buck cheaper than the TJ stuff.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Speaking of Wild Turkey, I was gifted a Flaviar thing and have a bottle of free Longbranch coming my way. Anyone drink it here? Celeb booze always feels kinda gimmicky, but it's been reviewed pretty well.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I've had it and it's solid.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I paid money for Longbranch, would do so again.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Longbranch good.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Longbranch is a nice “mainstream” easy sipper. Think of it like a Basil Hayden or Gentlemen Jack, but with the signature Wild Turkey style.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I don't like longbranch but it's more about the low proof than anything else

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Yep, Longbranch is pretty good. So is Rare Breed.
That said: I'd pretty much always rather have the 101.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I prefer Russel's for "fancy WT", and stuff in their family is honestly my favorite, but Longbranch is, to me, an interesting and worthwhile variation on theme.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
How is Basil Haydens? I recall it getting flak but I see it everywhere and have never tried it. Worth the $$?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Lowness 72 posted:

How is Basil Haydens? I recall it getting flak but I see it everywhere and have never tried it. Worth the $$?

no unless you find it for $28~31 then maybe for the novelty.

it’s very simple and inoffensive, designed for people who want to be a “cool whiskey person” with a cool bottle but can’t drink normal stuff neatly without gagging.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Lowness 72 posted:

There's better bourbon for more, less, and the same price. And that's just other Beam products.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Has anybody had St. Cloud. Never heard of it before and saw it on the shelf for….$160.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The Basil Hayden that they finish in rum casks is pretty tasty, if gimmicky.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GD_American posted:

The Basil Hayden that they finish in rum casks is pretty tasty, if gimmicky.

The 10 year is loving gross. Just buy an OF 1920 and call it a day.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

It's overpriced and underproofed. Pretty much no reason to buy it with the other Beam options available (the people who actually buy it don't even generally know it's Beam).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Basil Hayden's core market seems to be non-bourbon drinkers buying a bottle that has a classy looking label and fancy sounding name as a gift. Or ppl just getting into bourbon also falling for the fancy name and classy label.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ok who the hell designed the knob creek wax? That poo poo is so bad, it starts disintegrating as soon as you look at it and then flakes everywhere. I don't love the maker's wax but at least it stays in one piece. Who thinks this is a good idea and why is it allowed to be so trashy? It's a travesty.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Carillon posted:

Ok who the hell designed the knob creek wax? That poo poo is so bad, it starts disintegrating as soon as you look at it and then flakes everywhere. I don't love the maker's wax but at least it stays in one piece. Who thinks this is a good idea and why is it allowed to be so trashy? It's a travesty.

I credit that godawful wax with keeping the price of those amazing 13-15 year-old single barrel Knob picks at $50. It's like the antithesis of luxury product branding.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I credit that godawful wax with keeping the price of those amazing 13-15 year-old single barrel Knob picks at $50. It's like the antithesis of luxury product branding.

lol :hai:

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah. I hate the wax, but I'm all for whatever they have to do to keep people from making it hard to find.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i loving hate that wax, but at $45-50 for the various single barrels it's hard to beat these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Daaamn I just got a bottle of Arbeg Scorch for 105€ shipped and just wanted to brag. It sold out pretty instantly too, of course.