Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #72 (1959)

Timg'd for non-preferred nomenclature.

Detective Comics #1 (2001 reprint)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Cebulski era continues to fascinate and amaze in it's own unique way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"The name means genitals!"

*Marvel's three dozen characters named Peter all look at each other nervously*

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lobok posted:

Don't forget the Dicks too.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Don't forget obscure Golden Age crime-fighter Frankie "gently caress" Fuckowski, from Kirby and Simon's short-lived "The Penis Alley Goofballs" back-up strip, canceled in 1947 when alley-based humor fell out of vogue.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 6, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's also CLINT Barton.

oval office when lettered poorly.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That reminds me of a band in the UK called The Ting Tings.
They got mocked when they went to Japan to tour because their name sounds like the slang for "tiny pens" over there.

https://metro.co.uk/2008/12/16/ting-tings-our-tiny-penises-shame-248928/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uthor posted:

There's also CLINT Barton.

oval office when lettered poorly.

Yes, that's very funny, Mark Millar. You should make a whole magazine about this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I'll never not love jokes about how many team ups Wolverine's done over the years.

source is Giant-Size Amazing Spider-Man - King's Ransom

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When was Wolverine a Defender?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Skwirl posted:

In March of 1993, looks like:

There have been, uh, a LOT of people on the Defenders, it turns out.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

The 50s were a dark time for supportive undergarments

What If (1977) #9

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Skwirl posted:

At this point it's probably a collective Mandela Effect. Wolverine's membership on almost any team is statistically likely, therefore they all remember it as having happened.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Begemot posted:

I love seeing Darkhawk on that short list image to just drive home "ANYONE could be on the Defenders" :allears: I've lost track of what retcons his origin story is up to now these days, but god drat did I love me some Darkhawk back in the day. Poor stupid "Venom threw a fight with him out of pity" darkhawk.

Considering that was also the first time I read a comic with Venom in it, it gave me a naively optimistic intro to what a "90s comic" entailed.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 7, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Begemot posted:

Wolverine was just a "Secret Defender"

Might as well call Da Vinci a member of the Avengers.

I do need to do a deep dive of Defenders books, at the very least it sounds more interesting than the deep dive of Avengers I've been planning forever.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Begemot posted:

Notably, that's the issues when Wolvie carved open Thing's face (so he had to wear a dumb helmet because his gooey rock center leaked out), Sue Storm got possessed (and carved her uniform into a sexed up swimsuit), and Dr. Doom stole The Watcher's Power Cosmic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Sue Storm got possessed (and carved her uniform into a sexed up swimsuit)

Was that the Hatemonger thing?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
malice, actually.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's a different Malice than Krakoa just resurrected, right? There's been like 4

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nope, same one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ehh, I'd be afraid of retribution from Susan about bringing her back (like way more than anyone else on the F4 for any other resurrections, she's by far the most dangerous member), but they gotta walk the talk.

I'll be honest, making prognosticators verboten when you don't know what the future holds seems a little weird, but a completely understandable thing when you are trying to do something completely different than what you used to do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, I'd be afraid of retribution from Susan about bringing her back (like way more than anyone else on the F4 for any other resurrections, she's by far the most dangerous member), but they gotta walk the talk.

I'll be honest, making prognosticators verboten when you don't know what the future holds seems a little weird, but a completely understandable thing when you are trying to do something completely different than what you used to do.

A quick google says that that might actually be the point; Moira's outlawing precogs because if there is one, theb they'd be able to call out the secret that in all her previous reincarnations, mutants failed to secure the sort of autonomy that they're striving for in Krakoa.

It might also be specifically just a policy to spite Destiny, because Moira doesn't have the best history with her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cleretic posted:

A quick google says that that might actually be the point; Moira's outlawing precogs because if there is one, theb they'd be able to call out the secret that in all her previous reincarnations, mutants failed to secure the sort of autonomy that they're striving for in Krakoa.

It might also be specifically just a policy to spite Destiny, because Moira doesn't have the best history with her.

Precogs wouldn't necessarily know what happened in past lives. They might know whether or not this one will also fail also.

I think the main thing is Moira needs to reveal herself to everyone who isn't Xavier or Magneto before a precog shows up and says "Oh yeah Moira is here, also she's a mutant, none of you knew that except Xavier and Magneto and they didn't tell anyone for decades."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this is an x-thread topic, but the reason for moira's precog ban has yet to be unrevealed.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Skwirl posted:

Precogs wouldn't necessarily know what happened in past lives. They might know whether or not this one will also fail also.

I think the main thing is Moira needs to reveal herself to everyone who isn't Xavier or Magneto before a precog shows up and says "Oh yeah Moira is here, also she's a mutant, none of you knew that except Xavier and Magneto and they didn't tell anyone for decades."

I think Destiny at the very least knows how things played out in Moira's past lives. In the reincarnation where Moira tried to invent a cure for mutants, Destiny had her killed and threatened that if she tried it again she'd kill her as a child in her next reincarnation before her powers kicked in and end her lives permanently. Couldn't do that if she didn't already know she'd killed her once before.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Krakoa: The No Destinys club.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #101 (1962)

Timg'd for violence against J. Edgar Hoover.

Mr. Monster Presents (Crack-A-Boom!) #1 (1997)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

Marvel got a character named Knull (which means gently caress in Norwegian).

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Marvel got a character named Knull (which means gently caress in Norwegian).
Also in Swedish. Although I get the impression we're meant to read the boring space god's name with a silent K anyway, as opposed to the hard K of scandic loving.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Toshimo posted:

his gooey rock center leaked out

Wait... is Ben Grimm a Gusher?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PantsOptional posted:

Yup. Rock skin, meat innards.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

I mean, most people are if you think about it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bruceski posted:

Yup. Rock skin, meat innards.

He even gets to molt once a year.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So less like being a rock person and more like just having really bad scabs

Poor Ben, man, gently caress

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Woebin posted:

Also in Swedish. Although I get the impression we're meant to read the boring space god's name with a silent K anyway, as opposed to the hard K of scandic loving.

Null is a bit better, but not much.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He even gets to molt once a year.

It'd be pretty great if it happened all at once and he spent a week looking like Concrete until it got all dried out and craggy again.

Give us the smooth Ben.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Remember when he got an upgrade that made him look like a big orange pinecone?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Woebin posted:

I was driving my octogenarian grand-aunt home one Saturday noon, and the car radio was on. I can't remember the programme so I've no idea why they chose the particular track, but what they played was "Varför är det så skönt att knulla bakifrån?".

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kalli posted:

It'd be pretty great if it happened all at once and he spent a week looking like Concrete until it got all dried out and craggy again.

Give us the smooth Ben.

In the earliest issues Kirby drew him as more lumpy than craggy.

Didn't Ultimate Ben eventually molt and permanently become a jacked purple energy dude, or am I thinking of someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah that was at the tail end of the ultimate u