Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Iron Claw has low accuracy yes. It hits real hard if you can land it (sukukaja/sukunda up, or vs frozen/shocked enemies)... but i'd probably just run deathbound.

Thank you.

Man gently caress low-accuracy moves, especially in a game with Press Turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

So are there any good mods for the steam version of Nocturne yet?

Yes.

https://twitter.com/SaitsuMD/status/1398394111179333635

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh yeah I'm a bit late on this one but since there was talk of cool series artwork a while back and Imagine came up earlier...

I've always loved this bit of artwork made for the game. It's such a cool piece.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Alacron posted:

Does anyone know if Iron Claw in Nocturne has some kind of accuracy penalty? I've got both it and Divine Shot so I could compare the two and I keep whiffing with it, way more than I ever have with DS. Am I just getting weirdly unlucky here?

Honestly I feel like every physical attack has a bit of an accuracy penalty. I've been using Sukukaja a lot in boss fights which helps but I've never had an SMT game where I used the default physical attack as much as this one, missing is so harsh and the default attack is actually pretty good with points in STR

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That IMAGINE piece is indeed nice, but it breaks my immersion because most of the demons on the Chaos side are actually Law demons!

Plus there's multiple Seths and Morrigans and it's just unfortunate.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 6, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tallgeese posted:

Well, they did a wipe. ReImagine are somewhat considered the more grindy server because they implemented a fortune card (read: gacha) system for equipment, among other reasons.

Tallgeese posted:

There are three:

Oh good to know. If I feel like playing again I'll probably go check out the Russian one.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Admit it: you just want Dante.

Frankly I can't blame you, but honesty is the best policy!

After all, he does look pretty good, even in terribly-artifacted JPG form:

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 6, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Honestly I could take or leave Dante.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Dante is like under 5 feet tall in that picture

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol the matador is pushing my poo poo in

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

shrike82 posted:

lol the matador is pushing my poo poo in

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I had to no joke spend like an hour preparing for him after getting destroyed some stuff to do

Buy the magatama that makes you immune to wind
Get Rakukaja and Sukukaja if you can
If they are on wind immune monsters even better
Give at least 1 demon Dark Might and fight during new moon

I overprepared after losing so hard to that fight, went off and made sure I got loads of buffs, got the wind magatama, tried to fuse immune guys AND did dark might and it turned him into a pushover. But this was like a good hour+ of prep.

Since then I've run into no roadblocks at all though

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What's Dark Might

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's an ability some demons have that makes normal attacks auto-crit during the new moon. Jack Frost starts with it so it's not hard to spread into the party.

Bright Might is the same during the full moon but I don't know who has it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

YggiDee posted:

Bright Might is the same during the full moon but I don't know who has it.

I think Archangel gets it via leveling.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Somebody help me out with SMT1 basic poo poo.

I've been putting all my points into Magic. I'm Level 3 and have no MP yet but I assume I'll get magic in some form eventually, right? Like an SJ Space Marine Magic Gun?

More worryingly, I got my first demon, Pixie. It took money to summon her which sucks but that is nothing compared to how she's losing 1 point of HP every step???

Also I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going since the police block everything. I had the second dream and named my neighbor friend. I assume I have to meet some weird old guy at a park but I swear the only place I can go is the shopping mall.

Okay, here's a rundown on what the stats do for the MC:

Strength: Mainly increases your physical attack (but NOT your gun's damage), as well as a minor increase in HP and Accuracy.
Magic: Mainly increases Magic Power, with a small increase in MP. Magic Power determines both your magic damage and magic defense, but you can still make do by making this your MC's stat dump.
Intelligence: Increases your max MP, demon negotiation success rate and Magic Effect. Magic Effect determines the proc rate for status effect spells (this includes status effect bullets). Having 12 INT should let you easily negotiate with demons until around midgame.
Vitality: Primarily increases your physical defense and HP. This is the stat you'd want to focus on because you want the MC to become a wall of HP. While you don't game over when the MC is KO'd, you're unable to use items or the COMP which makes the trip back to the healer really hard.
Agility: Increases your Evasion and Accuracy, with a minor buff to physical defense. This doesn't really help you go faster in battle since SMT1 has some weird-rear end action priority.
Luck: Gives a small increase to Evasion and Accuracy, but that doesn't mean Luck is a dump stat. It doesn't just remove your chance of getting ambushed, it also greatly increases your chance of ambushing enemies instead. It also boosts item drops, which is handy since some enemies can drop nice weapons.

Early in the game, Pyro Jacks will be your most dangerous enemy. They come in groups and know Agilao so your low-MAG MC will be burnt to a crisp. However, once you get gear that gives elemental resistances, spells become a lot less dangerous to you.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jack Frost has Dark Might as one of the skills you get when you recruit him so no need to level.

Dark/Bright might are insanely powerful skills because you get free damage off where normally you'd be passing turns to get to your buffers

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Jesus, I just curb-stomped Daisoujou. Two Fog Breaths meant he rarely hit me and he kept trying to normal attack Arahabaki. Had a harder time with Dante, though I managed to kill him with a counter which was funny.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fog Breath is crazy busted even by the standard of a game where debuffs in general are crazy busted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Fog Breath is crazy busted even by the standard of a game where debuffs in general are crazy busted.

Especially considering how early you can get it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If the secret truth of da’at in SMT5 is something other than “Surprise, it’s Tokyo!” I’m going to be pretty hype.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

If the secret truth of da’at in SMT5 is something other than “Surprise, it’s Tokyo!” I’m going to be pretty hype.

It’s going to be Yokohama

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I found out pretty recently about Mind=0, a PSVita dungeon crawler that's so much a Persona clone it hurts

like it can't get any more blatant than the VAs for the first two non-protag party members being Erin Fitzgerald and Yuri Lowenthal

it has to be seen to believed, it's so bad

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know from years of arguing New Vegas that achievements and trophies aren't an ideal way to determine favored routes/endings but still, it's interesting to consider:
Steam Achievements

PSN Trophies

Somebody on Reddit pointed out I got the wrong PSN site for trophies. In the wider population of PSN trophies, Yosuga and Musubi ae tied at .7%.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 7, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

managed to get past matador after re-speccing my party to be force-resistant
it's bizarre how they placed such a tough boss in a random location early game

i vaguely recall SMT4 (or SMT4A?) being gated by a tough early boss too...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

shrike82 posted:

Honestly I think this more than anything is what makes Matador's reputation. He jumps you and that scared manikin isn't a sufficient enough telegraph especially if you're going in blind.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

shrike82 posted:

managed to get past matador after re-speccing my party to be force-resistant

i vaguely recall SMT4 (or SMT4A?) being gated by a tough early boss too...

4 has the infamous Minotaur who is actually misleading because every boss after him is easy.

4A has a proper Matador equivalent in Sukuna-Hikona who is a real challenge and you better have figured out buffs and debuffs and elemental affinities by the time you fight him.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

4 has the infamous Minotaur who is actually misleading because every boss after him is easy.

4A has a proper Matador equivalent in Sukuna-Hikona who is a real challenge and you better have figured out buffs and debuffs and elemental affinities by the time you fight him.

I would argue that Sukuna is even harder than Matador because the game at that point limits you to four/five skills per demon, AND he's got two different elemental skills so you cant just deck out your whole team in force resist because then ice will destroy you.

Junpei posted:

I found out pretty recently about Mind=0, a PSVita dungeon crawler that's so much a Persona clone it hurts

Caligula Effect 2 is coming out this month which is a sequel to a persona clone that is actually really really good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I would argue that Sukuna is even harder than Matador because the game at that point limits you to four/five skills per demon, AND he's got two different elemental skills so you cant just deck out your whole team in force resist because then ice will destroy you.

Yep, that's just one way IVA is harder and more balanced than Nocturne. I noticed it in my last run of IVA. In Nocturne you get demons right from the start who Repel or Drain elements. For Matador you have your choice of draining or nullifying his Force attacks. In contrast, you'll be able to fuse Jack Frost right around the time you fight Sukuna but unlike his Nocturne Ice Draining self, Jack only Resists Ice in IVA. Not having a demon who can so much as null an element in IVA is a huge game changer. I remember being so bummed when I fused Jack specifically for my Apoc run of that fight with Sukuna and discovered he only Resists Ice in this.

I'm no master gamer, could be there are element draining/repelling/nullifying demons earlier in IVA than I realized but they absolutely are not as plentiful and common as in Nocturne.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 7, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm no master gamer, could be there are element draining/repelling/nullifying demons earlier in IVA than I realized but they absolutely are not as plentiful and common as in Nocturne.

Yeah for some reason at the time I had decided to try and get all the demons in the game and I had done it up until that point and I was looking through the demon list like man what am I supposed to DO here

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Yep, that's just one way IVA is harder and more balanced than Nocturne. I noticed it in my last run of IVA. In Nocturne you get demons right from the start who Repel or Drain elements. For Matador you have your choice of draining or nullifying his Force attacks. In contrast, you'll be able to fuse Jack Frost right around the time you fight Sukuna but unlike his Nocturne Ice Draining self, Jack only Resists Ice in IVA. Not having a demon who can so much as null an element in IVA is a huge game changer. I remember being so bummed when I fused Jack specifically for my Apoc run of that fight with Sukuna and discovered he only Resists Ice in this.

It looks like the lowest level demon that is nulls Ice is Yurlungur at 29. I'm not sure what level you normally fight Sukuna-Hikona at. That said, regular resists are a bit better than they were in Nocturne. They don't effect Press Turns but they can proc Smirk, which is pretty decent even if it is weaker than it was in vanilla 4.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

It looks like the lowest level demon that is nulls Ice is Yurlungur at 29. I'm not sure what level you normally fight Sukuna-Hikona at. That said, regular resists are a bit better than they were in Nocturne. They don't effect Press Turns but they can proc Smirk, which is pretty decent even if it is weaker than it was in vanilla 4.

IVA Jack Frost is Level 20 so I'd say that was my level when I fought him on Apoc difficulty, maybe 21. Hathor is a big help in the fight too and she's Level 18.

This fellow did it at Level 18, maybe I was overleveled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTF9iR5izaI

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I know from years of arguing New Vegas that achievements and trophies aren't an ideal way to determine favored routes/endings but still, it's interesting to consider:
Steam Achievements

PSN Trophies

Somebody on Reddit pointed out I got the wrong PSN site for trophies. In the wider population of PSN trophies, Yosuga and Musubi ae tied at .7%.

I find that most games with "Get to (insert ending here)" achievements all generally have rare to ultra rare percentages. Lot of people picking up the game and never finishing it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm Lot of People

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I find that most games with "Get to (insert ending here)" achievements all generally have rare to ultra rare percentages. Lot of people picking up the game and never finishing it.

I'm going to have to report you for this personal attack.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i like games that have trophies for completing parts of the main story because you can watch the player base slowly dwindle as the game goes on

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I would also guess that SMT attracts an unusual percentage of people who play the games 3+ time because the end game bosses are slightly different.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Had started SMT4 on Citra several months ago to see how well it ran, but never got around to playing it again, not even sure I got to a single save point actually. Got it on sale digitally and wanted to see if it had any 3D effects before I started again on PC.

Anyway, 2 hours later it looks like I'll be playing it on a handheld without save states. I was swayed by the magic eye poster feel.

I also need to finish my first ever pass at of SJ:Redux and still haven't picked up Nocturne on Switch. Someone invent time dilation so I can do all of this before I die of old age.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ordered Nocturne Remaster this morning and got it this afternoon. Don't have time for a 60+ hour JRPG right now, but I played a couple of hours today just to make sure it worked. My memories of the PS2 version are almost 10 years old at this point, but I'm pretty sure they changed the negotiation system. Now it goes straight to the "give me stuff" part of the negotiation and then seems to be RNG if you succeed. I've been asked a question once. Personally, I think it's an improvement over having to answer 2-4 randomized questions before you even get to the negotiations but also if questions start coming up more often after the items part, it might lead to more demons running off with my poo poo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

i like games that have trophies for completing parts of the main story because you can watch the player base slowly dwindle as the game goes on

Maybe they're all currently on their current playthrough! Who knows!

But yeah I know I definitely do not finish games as much as I used to. Games all kinda seemed designed these days to take as much time as possible to finish everything if you want to but also to have a quick "ending" if you wanna say you spent 10 hours on the campaign for a 100 hour open world game just to feel better about seeing the credits. I know with Breath of the Wild I spent like 100 hours doing all sorts of stuff before one day I thought "You know what it's time to see the credits", went straight to Hyrule Castle, and put it down for months

Lots of RPGs are good about that too, like FF games give you an endgame pile of optional things to do but you can ignore them. SMT a lot of the time seems to expect you to playthrough again if you want "more" but also Persona 5 Royal is like 100+ hours there is enough of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Just beat my first run through (Yosuga ending, didn't do any of the Labyrinth of Amala stuff this go through besides having to smack down Matador), and all together the game holds up well, at least to me. Played reasonably well on the Switch, though I played handheld the entire time so I don't know if it would have had any problems docked. Some minor slow down for some abilities, and more than usual in second form of the last fight, but nothing serious. Did see some longer load times in some areas for whatever reason (Assembly of Nihilo had the worst of it).

All in all, it's still a great game, and I feel I got my money's worth with the game proper, and the DLC.