Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

Just played the first mission of Shattered Skies. I think I could dig plane game.

To me, the first 5 minutes of AC04 (even just up to the briefing) was as impactful and resonant as the opening minutes of Final Fantasy 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we5snYX5oes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

going into ac4 and expecting plane shooting plane explosion game and getting that was one of the most memorable moments of my gaming career lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was mostly just testing emulator settings, I'll probably try to take a clatter chomp into it when I'm done with my relic weapon grind in XIV in a few days.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mode 7 posted:

maybe I'll just move forward to that and ignore the spin-off and anime poo poo entirely.
Yeah, do that. The anime takes everything that could have a little bit of ambiguity and makes it one-note garbage, and everything you think might be lazy writing in the games will seem like a magnum opus compared to how it gets reinterpreted there, and it adds no significant bit of lore, just a bunch of "Oh boy if seeing thing X sounded good in your head just wait to see how it sucks when we show it explicitly".

V3 is a very different thing. It is a man in a raggedy bear suit with a hatchet who just heard someone ask for more Danganronpa and has oh so many feelings to share with you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Have there ever been any games with a mushroom kingdom of some sort?

Boletes are mushrooms and the Kingdom of Boletaria could be thought of as the Mushroom Kingdom so Demons Souls.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

typhy posted:

going into ac4 and expecting plane shooting plane explosion game and getting that was one of the most memorable moments of my gaming career lol

:same:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i still think ppl hate on the danganronpa anime way too hard lol. its not amazing by any means and i have my own problems with it but ppl act like it ruins the series when its just, fine with some silly plot beats. idk i jsut wanted More and as far as im concerned it delivered

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This weekend I finished the story modes for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, and Granblue Fantasy Versus

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

This weekend I finished the story modes for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, and Granblue Fantasy Versus

I have been watching the Arena and Ultimax story modes all week.

I wish this story wasn't written in not only the VN style, but in an incredibly repetitive one that repeats every single story beat in narration and dialogue 3+ times lol

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Mode 7 posted:

For all the things I enjoyed, there's something about the game as a whole that left a bad taste in my mouth. Something about the writing felt more... mean-spirited, I think, is the phrase I'm looking for, compared to the first game. [/spoiler]

I thought the writing overall was a step down from the first with a few exceptions. Mikan's "motive" being bullshit you have no possible way of knowing or figuring out, Peko's alibi being a lie while also being a big clue to the mystery of the island somehow, the mystery of fat Togami being dangled in front of you and then limply revealed with no real purpose far too many hours later

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
GemCraft progression is so annoying. Certain points there's no possible strategies to win besides... go back and grind XP or milk some XP farm or do weird poo poo to make your baseline numbers high enough to beat or trivialize the content.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been watching the Arena and Ultimax story modes all week.

I wish this story wasn't written in not only the VN style, but in an incredibly repetitive one that repeats every single story beat in narration and dialogue 3+ times lol

Yeah the story drags forever and just keeps going. I had more than a few times stared off into space, or looked at my other monitor and browsed the internet while the dialog was going.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Starting up X-COM UFO Defense again

I like how basically as soon as UFO Defense ends X-COM gets its poo poo together to figure out how to build underwater bases.

Gonna shoot me some aliums.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

sharrrk posted:

i still think ppl hate on the danganronpa anime way too hard lol. its not amazing by any means and i have my own problems with it but ppl act like it ruins the series when its just, fine with some silly plot beats. idk i jsut wanted More and as far as im concerned it delivered

It's cheap garbage with garbage ideas, so a standard game adaptation.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hunt11 posted:

Castlevania is good except season 3 where it goes a bit too grim dark.

I dont necessarily think too dark, it was clearly meant to be "the centre cannot hold" the season, and that was fine for "Trevor and Syfa's no good, very very bad day" but I think the rest of the protagonists needed like... one or two more episodes to get to where they ended season 3 on, it just felt rushed.

Like, one more episode for alucard, and two for Carmilla / Hector / Isaac.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Grant in the Netflix Castlevania yet

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1NWZSkUM1A

FirstAidKite posted:

Is Grant in the Netflix Castlevania yet

Referenced, but doesn't appear.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Finished Demons Souls yesterday and I have been thinking and mulling over that there are two From trilogies.

DS1 - DS2 - DS3 is the obvious one.

But ALSO

DeS - BB - Sek is a trilogy, with a clear progression in terms of gameplay, style and improvements.

I want to think about this more but I think the Alternate Trilogy is the best one.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

I thought the writing overall was a step down from the first with a few exceptions. Mikan's "motive" being bullshit you have no possible way of knowing or figuring out, Peko's alibi being a lie while also being a big clue to the mystery of the island somehow, the mystery of fat Togami being dangled in front of you and then limply revealed with no real purpose far too many hours later

Those are all extremely valid criticisms yeah. I think poo poo like fat Togami being some rando Ultimate Imposter highlights what I dislike about the writing of the second game compared to the first. The first game features a number of twists in the plot that surprise the player, but still forms a (mostly) coherent story. The second game throws plot twists in, but crafts them specifically to trip up assumptions you might have from the first game like knowing who Byakuya Togami is or the entire thing with the Shining Justice serial killer poo poo Where the first game has twists that arise from the progression of its narrative, these feel like the game manufacturing twists solely to then go "hahaha gotcha, idiot", so they don't tie back satisfactorily into the narrative, land weakly and feel disjointed/divorced from the story.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Every time I get a nugget of Ace Combat lore or hear Ace Combat music, it gets me closer and closer to actually playing one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgcap-5IBsY

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Finished Demons Souls yesterday and I have been thinking and mulling over that there are two From trilogies.

DS1 - DS2 - DS3 is the obvious one.

But ALSO

DeS - BB - Sek is a trilogy, with a clear progression in terms of gameplay, style and improvements.

I want to think about this more but I think the Alternate Trilogy is the best one.

You're training is complete.

You are ready for a true challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SugLAqaPhqA

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the biggest crime of DR2 is that all of the mysteries are less good. Pretty much every DR2 trial starts with you not having all the info you need but then having one or two or both characters spoonfeed you the correct answer

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

Have there ever been any games with a mushroom kingdom of some sort?

Sonic and Knuckles

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just wanted to say a big gently caress you to whichever dickhead was behind the decision to price PS5 games at $125 aud at retail.

Amazon is selling Ratch and Clank at $99, which is likely where I'll be going, but fuuuuck me this is some straight up price gouging horseshit.

$80 was fine you fucks :argh:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Just wanted to say a big gently caress you to whichever dickhead was behind the decision to price PS5 games at $125 aud at retail.

Amazon is selling Ratch and Clank at $99, which is likely where I'll be going, but fuuuuck me this is some straight up price gouging horseshit.

Look at this bloke humble-bragging that he managed to find a PS5 :colbert:

You're not wrong though.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Infinitum posted:

Wait for the games to go on sale imo, they're not worth it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

yeah I bought a ps5 and have played gently caress all on it, there's nothing that interests me
demons souls yes, but not for $125 base price lol

im using my ps5 p much only for youtube

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Healbot posted:

Wait for the games to go on sale imo, they're not worth it.

Some people enjoy playing videogames and some people enjoy frothing themselves into a puppy like state for everything

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

Yerp. They're trying to raise the RRP on games to £70 in the UK, which is apparently the equivalent of $125aud. £50 was a massive stretch but this is just ridiculous.

e: Shockingly Amazon UK has Demon's Souls down to £50 which is hopefully a sign that people aren't buying new games at the higher price.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More like Watch Its Sales Tank.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I'm still convinced that the PS5 doesn't actually exist and is some sort of fictitious future console dreamt up by a coked up team of marketing demons to keep interest in Sony stuff strong.

Source: the only people I have seen with one are those YouTube people and you know what they're like. :tinfoil:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

stev posted:

Yerp. They're trying to raise the RRP on games to £70 in the UK, which is apparently the equivalent of $125aud. £50 was a massive stretch but this is just ridiculous.

As long as there are enough people happy to pay to be Returnal bug testers its fine

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I snagged Demons Souls for £61 in the sale. It was a great time though but I usually buy games after the fact anyway.

Though I will break away from this for Elden Ring.

Infinitum posted:

You're training is complete.

You are ready for a true challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SugLAqaPhqA

Haha thank you :)
I do not think I would enjoy beating this at all sadly. I could probably do it if I trained for ages and ages, but I am not sure I would enjoy the training part.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gaius Marius posted:

i generally don't view ukiyo - broadly i'm just not that interested in the subject matter - a piece called The Dream Of the Fisherman's Wife stuck out while browsing the market - I thought oh a dream based wood print that could be fun and literally within 4 minutes there is a squid groping a wife with its tentacles

Idgi

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i started playing Subnautica after watching Marine's first stream of it but in a cruel twist of fate I've had to avoid watching more since she's ahead of me (maybe finished) and I don't want to get spoiled

I think I must be getting pretty close to the end though - I had hit kind of a frustrating roadblock for a few hours because I couldn't find a vehicle modification panel thing which meant I couldn't get the drill arm (and I had found a volcanic area with Kyanite that I could only get with that arm) or upgrade my depth any further

it's a neat game, I didn't think I could get into it since I don't really like crafting

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Sounds like this - possibly :nws:

I'm assuming the point is that this is a thing that has been happening for a while? Also Picasso was an otaku

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DeadButDelicious posted:

I'm still convinced that the PS5 doesn't actually exist and is some sort of fictitious future console dreamt up by a coked up team of marketing demons to keep interest in Sony stuff strong.

Source: the only people I have seen with one are those YouTube people and you know what they're like. :tinfoil:

It's got less games on launch than the ps3 did
think about that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A device with 0 availability and 0 games, yet impossibly in demand. The robber barons of the last century couldn't have dreamed of a more perfect scenario.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

tithin posted:

yeah I bought a ps5 and have played gently caress all on it, there's nothing that interests me
demons souls yes, but not for $125 base price lol

im using my ps5 p much only for youtube
What the poo poo.

It's listed for $60 on Amazon USA.

Where are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Grouchio posted:

What the poo poo.