Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

prom candy posted:

more hockey chat: it's fun how the moment of silence for the residential school victims is immediately followed by the national anthem

which is usually followed by a standing ovation for some canadian forces private shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

pokeyman posted:

how many times per year does the average canadian hear the national anthem outside of sports?

my guess is 0

they should play it at the movies, and at everyone's place of business. maybe if people had to hear it more we could get rid of it

edit: my teacher friend said they do land acknowledgement followed by the anthem every day.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

ghosthorse posted:

I don't know about hockey but I know that in the nfl if you're a bottom of the roster/practice squad player you get paid about 150k a year. But you also pay out of pocket for all your camps, training, travel, medical visits, gear etc because the team only covers that for their main roster. I've read some former players say that they were making about $25k+/- a year all while sustaining life long injuries in the pursuit of nfl contracts.

This part is definitely wrong. PS players get the same health benefits as players on the main roster, and that includes their family dependents as well.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

prom candy posted:

they should play it at the movies, and at everyone's place of business. maybe if people had to hear it more we could get rid of it

edit: my teacher friend said they do land acknowledgement followed by the anthem every day.

forgot that's a thing in (some?) schools. barf

ok new guess 0.1

Kopitar
May 21, 2009
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/brayden-bushby-sentencing-decision-1.6054337

Bushby threw a metal trailer hitch from a moving car, striking the 33-year-old Indigenous mother in the abdomen while she was on an evening walk with her sister in a residential neighbourhood.

Defence lawyers for Bushby said a lengthy sentence would be"too crushing" and suggested, in turn, a four-year term.

whatever this assholes sentence will be, it will be way to short

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kopitar posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/brayden-bushby-sentencing-decision-1.6054337

Bushby threw a metal trailer hitch from a moving car, striking the 33-year-old Indigenous mother in the abdomen while she was on an evening walk with her sister in a residential neighbourhood.

Defence lawyers for Bushby said a lengthy sentence would be"too crushing" and suggested, in turn, a four-year term.

it’s not obvious from your post but to elucidate the woman died after six months of pain thanks to this

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

jettisonedstuff posted:

This part is definitely wrong. PS players get the same health benefits as players on the main roster, and that includes their family dependents as well.

Yeah but you're only covered while on the active roster. Practice squad players are on a week by week contract so teams routinely cut players and swap them out depending on position strengths and who they're playing. They can cut you at any time and you lose all benefits and facilities access immediately. You then have 24 hours to get signed to another team's squad and move or wait it out and hope the team picks you back up the next day. If you're cut for three weeks you still need to be training and dealing with any injuries during that time and you're paying for that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

pokeyman posted:

ok new guess 0.1

in the States we didn't listen to the national anthem every day, but we did recite the "pledge of allegiance" in unison every single morning throughout elementary school. it was p indoctrinating tbh

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

how many times per year does the average canadian hear the national anthem outside of sports?

my guess is 0

do school children get counted in the average?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

in the States we didn't listen to the national anthem every day, but we did recite the "pledge of allegiance" in unison every single morning throughout elementary school. it was p indoctrinating tbh

we had to do through loving high school

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Our public grade school had a plastic flag in each classroom that one student was picked to hold during the anthem every day, which we all sang right after the lord's prayer :barf:

I told my mother that a first-grade teacher had given me poo poo for not saying the prayer even though I knew all the words. I remember seeing my dad at the school a few days later, and that night they told me to stand still during the anthem and not to say fuckall during the teacher's prayer time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Kopitar posted:

If not for the fact that given the power it'd definitely be abused by the state, I'd be all for people like this being made slaves to the state for the rest of their lives.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

pokeyman posted:

ok new guess 0.1

My Jr high made us all stand and sing along to the national anthem every morning, just before the morning announcements. The only school in my entire city that I knew of doing that.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Kopitar posted:

Maximum sentence for manslaughter is life in prison I believe. But yeah, I don't want to get my hopes up for this piece of poo poo.

Edit: 8 years. Yeah, I read the victim's statement, and honestly I wouldn't have been happy with anything less than 15.

mom and dad fight a lot has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Jun 7, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
from kindergarden onwards we just stood for the national anthem, i cant remember if i did in high school because most of the time i arranged my schedule to have a spare first thing in the morning so i could sleep in

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
O Canada is straight up a terrible anthem tbh

Fashionable Jorts posted:

My Jr high made us all stand and sing along to the national anthem every morning, just before the morning announcements. The only school in my entire city that I knew of doing that.

My 4th grade teacher had a tape recording of the anthem she'd play because nobody was willing to sing. She subbed for another class then came back and admonished us because there was one girl who sang the anthem "beautifully" and apparently we weren't patriotic enough and didn't love Canada or something :canada: For context, this is around the time we're bombing Bosnia :v:

So many fond memories of being compelled to sing against my will. But boy oh boy do grownups get pissed off when you purposefully gently caress around in mandatory choir by singing in an exaggerated Russian accent :shrug:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Maximum sentence for manslaughter is life in prison I believe. But yeah, I don't want to get my hopes up for this piece of poo poo.

Don't worry, "jury of your peers" means other racists

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

DariusLikewise posted:

from kindergarden onwards we just stood for the national anthem, i cant remember if i did in high school because most of the time i arranged my schedule to have a spare first thing in the morning so i could sleep in

I moved around a lot as a kid, and it basically followed this:

"Wikipedia posted:

Presently, provincial law in Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Prince Edward Island mandate the national anthem be played daily in public elementary and secondary schools. "O Canada" is to be played in British Columbia schools at least three times a year at assemblies. Other provinces and territories do not have legal provisions around it playing in schools.

I remember in Nova Scotia, we'd alternate the English, French, and English-French versions. Probably the only reason I ever learned the French version. I don't think I heard it very often in High School.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Edit: 8 years. Yeah, I read the victim's statement, and honestly I wouldn't have been happy with anything less than 15.

Oh wow I bet nobody's going to be completely emboldened by this

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Kopitar posted:

What is the reasoning for reducing this to manslaughter? Throwing a heavy object at/from a moving car is a deliberate attempt to kill or very seriously injure someone, and the person ended up dying...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

jettisonedstuff posted:

What is the reasoning for reducing this to manslaughter? Throwing a heavy object at/from a moving car is a deliberate attempt to kill or very seriously injure someone, and the person ended up dying...

you just described the charge of manslaughter

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

jettisonedstuff posted:

I read it a few months ago the reasoning was that the victim had pre-existing conditions and the injury took 6 months to kill her. Basically the direct A->B connection wasn't easily proven.

e: Sentence is 8 years. I'd like to see more but that's higher than I expected.

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Jun 7, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

you just described the charge of manslaughter

manslaughter is when it isn't done on purpose

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

they looked into his soul and decided that he did not intend to kill her, only maim her so that deserves a lesser punishment. even though she died anyway

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Yinlock posted:

no

quote:

232 (1) Culpable homicide that otherwise would be murder may be reduced to manslaughter if the person who committed it did so in the heat of passion caused by sudden provocation.

234 Culpable homicide that is not murder or infanticide is manslaughter.

the prosecution would have had proven that he had planned on hurling a trailer hitch at someone that day for it to be murder one or two

one of the billion canpol lawyers can probably explain it better than me but if they pursued murder one or two he probably would have gotten off, manslaughter carries the same max sentence as far as i know

DariusLikewise has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Jun 7, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

seeing an indigenous woman provoked a heated driver moment

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

seeing an indigenous woman provoked a heated driver moment

a Heritage Moment

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

Trending in Canada
#CancelCanadaDay
Trending with Ryerson, Catholic

:hmmyes:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

no
the prosecution would have had proven that he had planned on hurling a trailer hitch at someone that day for it to be murder one or two

one of the billion canpol lawyers can probably explain it better than me but if they pursued murder one or two he probably would have gotten off, manslaughter carries the same max sentence as far as i know

these are some bizarrely narrow conditions

i'm not doubting what you say, mind you

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rutibex posted:

they looked into his soul and decided that he did not intend to kill her, only maim her so that deserves a lesser punishment. even though she died anyway

"your honor as my client thinks of native life as less than insects, there could not possibly be malice on his part"

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
It is actually this section "234: Culpable homicide that is not murder or infanticide is manslaughter." I think the level of force used does not automatically signal that the offender did intend death. An example is that people die from being punched or shoved but that does not mean that someone set out to kill them. Often people will plead out to manslaughter because it is sometimes hard to prove the mental element of murder.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Yinlock posted:

these are some bizarrely narrow conditions

i'm not doubting what you say, mind you

the whole point is murder is a completely premeditated act, im not say it's not murder or the guy doesnt deserve it but theres a fairly high level of proof needed in courts and if you cant prove the guy was driving around looking to murder someone with a trailer hitch all you have is manslaughter, but also manslaughter is still an incredibly serious charge that can carry a max of life

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

like half the post in this thread are indistinguishable from the comments on any of the court stories from my local rural manitoba newspaper and thats bad lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this happens ever single time any sentencing gets reported and then people get powerfully indignant when you suggest that their personal opinions on sentencing are at best completely irrelevant

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7928411/hyde-park-south-carriage-pedestrians-dead-london-ontario-police/amp/

Speaking of hate crime. gently caress this loving pig, guy essentially wiped out an entire family.

Edit: Of course it was a pick up truck aka a hate-crime-mobile.

ToxicAcne has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Jun 7, 2021

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
another made-in-Canada muslim-targeted terrorist attack, another round of my co-workers shaking their heads and saying "this sort of thing is only supposed to happen in America"

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
"how can this happen here" I say with a sad shake of my head as countless children's corpses float to the top of the dirt all around me.

"how"

CrcleSqreSanchz has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Jun 7, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yea i noticed a lot of locals talking about how "this isn't london" (wrong)

i also saw a bunch of pro-cycling people use this as an opportunity to bitch about bike infrastructure which, ew

anyway just more proof of how a majority of people here stick their heads in the sand whenever someone asks about racism in our local community and usually manages to drive them away from the discussion

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe you'll get concrete barriers on all your sidewalks like we did in toronto after alek minassian killed 10 people with a van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

how potato shaped is this honkeys head and/or how lifted is his truck?