Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

silicone thrills posted:

I can't see his name with out thinking of Gavin Bellson from Silicon Valley and then remember that they're basically the same people so it works.

Gavin Bellson is literally based on Newsom iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

silicone thrills posted:

In the Seattle thread someone said they'd rather vote for the child molester ex mayor rather than our current mayor and it really summed up how libs think about voting for me.

You see the old child molester dem was at least pro 15$ min wage

Lmao vote blue no matter who.

The public transit argument going on in that thread is also great. :allears:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

smdh. all of you leftists complaining about manchin and not a one of you has challenged him to a duel upon the field of honor: de_dust2

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Democrats made this guy president.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVv3KGe6sBE&t=96s

https://twitter.com/SherylNYT/status/1150802287205474305

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idpevmeoK1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhMGs92piH0

The Democrats want so bad to appear like they're not completely racist. But it just comes out every time they open their mouths.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOlvWw8uXs&t=7s

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Jazerus posted:

smdh. all of you leftists complaining about manchin and not a one of you has challenged him to a duel upon the field of honor: de_dust2

One lovely red state senator with a predictable voting pattern votes against the Dem agenda and it's funny how many people came pouring out of the woodwork to tar the entire party with the same brush. Stop ignoring the very good posts that have been made in this thread that the big change comes from local politics rather than federal.

If infrastructure or job opportunities in your state suck, you'll have a far better chance to fix that by working at the municipal and state government level than you would impotently raging about the Democratic party suppressing progressive policies and values. The fact of the matter is that the Democrats are nothing more than placeholders and caretakers of the government at the Federal level. They exist mostly to ensure the Republic stays intact in more or less its current form. It's been the influence of states like California, Texas etc that has influenced federal legislation rather than the other way around. For instance Texas writes a lot of the textbooks for educational institutions across the country while California frequently sets the standards for environmental regulations which get uploaded to the federal level. Now understandably, the California government is going to be a lot harder to progressively take over because California is about the size of a country in and of itself and there's a lot of money there to risk having the state pass progressive legislation. Consider not too long ago the nurse's union supported a universal healthcare bill for CA and it wasn't even permitted to reach the floor for voting because "how you gonna pay for it?".

I'm not gonna write a long effortpost about this but a lot of state and municipal governments are run by part time, underpaid people with a day job or business who lack the kind of staff federal representatives and senators have to craft policy. They're subject entirely to the whims of people who show up to townhall meetings and constituency meetings. You wanna know who shows up? Hardcore crackpots. Parks and Recreation isn't a fictional comedy, it's a documentary on what day to day local politics looks like. Most of you with a bit of preparation could come across as the galaxy brained person in the room who these reps would be very happy to listen to because your "competition" is either a die hard anti government republican or just some local crazy with incoherent and unreasonable policy objectives (I'm being very generous here). Participating in your local government will help change your state and municipal political objectives while driving a party culture and organization that will eventually send better federal representatives in congress... You don't get to bitch and complain about ineffectual Democrats when so many local offices are ripe for the taking. This is how the Republicans did it and if you have a problem, you should be a better citizen and do something about it in very actionable baby steps at your local level rather than impotently raging on a comedy forum where nothing you do actually matters.

Hell I bet there's people right here in this thread who can help you crowdsource political action campaigns that your friends and neighbors and fellow citizens will love you for. This kind of retail meat and potatoes politics affects issues that directly impact day to day lives of people in far wider reaching ways than anything Manchin does in the senate.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Love how it's always the job of overworked powerless citizens to do everything to make the world better in their precious free time than the assholes who's job is to actually vote for the stuff their constituents want who get literally zero culpability for bad voting since what are Senators supposed to do, NOT vote for their own personal interests??

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

rather than impotently raging on a comedy forum where nothing you do actually matters.

Lao Tzu posted:

Therefore the Master
acts without doing anything
and teaches without saying anything.
Things arise and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn't possess,
acts but doesn't expect.
When her work is done, she forgets it.
That is why it lasts forever.

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos

One lovely red state 🇺🇸 senator with a predictable voting pattern votes against the Dem agenda and it's funny how many people came pouring out 😛 of the woodwork to tar the entire party with the same brush. Stop ignoring 😣 the very good posts 📱💻 that ❗😐 have 🈶 been made in this thread that the big change 📈🍆 comes from local politics rather than 😳 federal. If infrastructure or job opportunities in your state 🍆💦🏳️‍🌈 suck, you'll have a far 🌌 better 👍 chance to fix that by 😈 working at the municipal and state government level than you would impotently raging about the Democratic party 👯‍♂ suppressing progressive policies and values. The fact of the matter is that the Democrats 🐴🔵 are nothing more than 💉 placeholders and caretakers of the government at the Federal level. They exist mostly 💁🙋 to ensure the Republic stays intact in more or less ➖ its current ⌚ form. It's been 🙊 the influence of states like 💓 California, Texas 🇺🇲 etc that 💯 has 💰 influenced federal legislation ✍️ rather 👉 than the other 😍🥰😈 way ↕️ around. For instance Texas 🇺🇲 writes a lot of the textbooks for educational institutions across 🤭 the country 🇸🇪 while California frequently sets the standards for 🧍‍♀️ environmental regulations which 👏 get uploaded to the federal 😜👅 level. Now 🫂 understandably, the California government is going 🏃 to be 🐝🐝 a lot harder to progressively take over because California is about the size of a country 🇭🇳🇹🇳🇭🇳🇹🇳🇭🇳🇹🇳 in 🧚🏻 and of itself and there's a lot of money 💶 there to risk having the state pass progressive legislation. Consider 🤔 not 🚫 too 🤷‍♀️ long ago the nurse's 👀 union supported a universal healthcare bill for CA and it wasn't even 🌃 permitted to reach the floor 😩 for voting because 🤔 "how you gonna pay 💰 for 💰 it?". I'm not gonna write a long 😳 effortpost about this but a lot 🧴 of state 🇺🇸 and municipal governments are run 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️ by part time, underpaid people with a day 🍆🍆🎊🎊 job or business 💯 who lack the kind of staff federal representatives and senators have to craft policy. They're subject entirely to the whims of people who show up to townhall meetings and constituency meetings. You wanna ❌🏿 know who shows up? Hardcore crackpots. Parks and Recreation isn't ❌❌ a fictional comedy, it's a documentary on what day ⛅🌁🌆 to day local politics looks 👀 like. Most of you with a bit of preparation 🙍🏿 could come across as the galaxy brained person 💅 in the room who ⁉️ these reps would be 🐝 very happy to listen to because your 👈 "competition" 🏇 is either a die hard ❗ anti government republican or just some 💥💥 local crazy with incoherent and unreasonable policy objectives (I'm being 🎱💾🐉 very generous here). Participating in 👏 your 🐦 local government 💩 will help 🆘‼️ change your 👉 state and municipal political objectives while 🐏 driving 🚦 a party culture and organization ✊ that will eventually send better federal 😜👅 representatives in 🕺 congress... You 😊😊😊 don't get to bitch and complain about 💦 ineffectual Democrats 🐴🔵 when so many local offices are ripe for 😎👻 the taking. This is how the Republicans did it and if you 😊🤟 have a problem, you should 💘👫 be 👎 a better 👍 citizen and do 👏😱 something 😅 about it in 🍑 very 😽 actionable baby steps at your 👉 local level 🔻🆙 rather than impotently raging on 🔛 a comedy forum where nothing you 💞 do actually matters. Hell 🔥 I 💰👀 bet 🤑 there's people right here in this thread who can help you 😀 crowdsource political action campaigns that your 📃 friends and neighbors and fellow 👥 citizens will love 😹 you for. This kind of retail meat 🥩 and potatoes politics affects issues that 🙏 directly impact day 😈😈😈 to day 🌞 lives 💓 of people in far wider reaching ways 🤔🤔 than 😽💰 anything Manchin does ❓❓ in the senate.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1401750520570732546?s=19

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

---As per the general D&D rules, good information is important. Take time to read and vet your sources, and when you post them, make sure that you accurately describe who the source is, why they are trustworthy, and importantly, what it is they are saying. Don't post nonsense from twitter nobodies in this thread. Consider checking out the Media Literacy & Critique thread for information and discussion on how to better critically examine journalism.

If I don't like the information presented I can ignore it and probe you

---While debate and discussion is, of course, welcome in this thread, because this thread is fast moving, lengthy or recurring debates may be asked to move to their own threads. Mods or IKs may point you to an existing thread, or ask you or someone else to make a new one. See the New Thread Thread for information about making and advertising new threads. If you have managed to get yourself banned from USnews, consider yourself on a one strike policy in these spinoff threads.

---This is a thread for good information. Articles with bad or misleading information, or those written as dogwhistles or ragebait should be posted either in the Media Literacy & Critique thread for serious discussion, or Should Have Been Spiked [also Coming Soon!] for just dunking on bad articles.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Eggplant Squire posted:

Love how it's always the job of overworked powerless citizens to do everything to make the world better in their precious free time than the assholes who's job is to actually vote for the stuff their constituents want who get literally zero culpability for bad voting since what are Senators supposed to do, NOT vote for their own personal interests??

Whatever, then don't vote. Jesus Christ, some of you just want to come in here and literally poo poo all over the place and expect no one to complain about the smell. I just went through a pandemic in Texas where, in my city and county, we only HAD mask mandates because of local county and city leadership. We only had a consistent moratorium on evictions because of city or county orders. Just dismissively going "well that poo poo doesn't matter anyway" shows a child-like unwillingness to debate the issue I asked about earlier just so you can continue coming in here wringing your hands about all is lost.

Well look, I have a loving George Carlin av. Don't stunt on me with your cynicism, you're not impressing me one bit. I'm not here to "chide you for not voting" because if you don't want to, you don't have to! Fine, be part of the huge % of eligible voters who can't be bothered, you certainly will have a lot of friends and fellow travelers. But don't come in here and try to tell me local races just don't matter so you can feel better about your choice because I'm going to rub your goddamn face in counter examples every single time. Either vote or don't, don't make up some bullshit along the way to justify it. Own your choices.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

This lady is correct. There's no reason to compromise anymore. It's time to push for a full NHS!

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos
Help me GJB, I’m being stunted on by cynics!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

imagine watching george carlin and not hearing a single god drat word he said

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1261004586359422979

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1401904652950573059?s=20

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the people voted for pain

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/VP/status/1401754616753176576?s=20

shes walking

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
In much the same way that Trump is the perfect avatar of the republican party, Rapey Joe and Kkkopmala could not possibly be more representative of the today's democrat party.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

I mean, at least Biden is actually making a human smile there. You can see the lines at the corners of his eyes, and his mouth is actually smiling.

Whatever the gently caress is happening with her face is not a human smile. I'm not even sure its a human expression. Why is her body stiff and convulsing at the same time? Seriously what the gently caress is that?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Organ Fiend posted:

I mean, at least Biden is actually making a human smile there. You can see the lines at the corners of his eyes, and his mouth is actually smiling.

Whatever the gently caress is happening with her face is not a human smile. I'm not even sure its a human expression. Why is her body stiff and convulsing at the same time? Seriously what the gently caress is that?

It's not a human being, OP.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1401752951224508417

:goofy:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I'm not clicking to learn more about her opinion but nationalizing healthcare and/or pharmaceuticals is outright better than a plan that only nationalizes health insurance.

But it's not like these are exclusive options so idgi

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

good news! medicare for all isn't happening, and neither is nationalized healthcare.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

World War Mammories posted:

imagine having a george carlin avatar and arguing passionately for electoralism

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Nichael posted:

good news! medicare for all isn't happening, and neither is nationalized healthcare.

Vote for either party to ensure this result!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Vote for either party to ensure this result!

Vote.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

readingatwork posted:

This lady is correct. There's no reason to compromise anymore. It's time to push for a full NHS!

doctors should be nationalized and paid the exact same pay rate as public school teachers in their locality. if they want to have a private practice like private schools, fine

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

A Democrat is like someone who says they're a Dolphins fan but then always says "my favorite team is whoever beats the Patriots" and like has framed pictures of the Giants helmet catch up on their wall and posted about deflategate for like 1000 hours and doesn't watch dolphins games anymore and couldn't tell you the dolphins' record with a gun to their head

Nobody likes the dolphins

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Jazerus posted:

the people voted for pain

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

It’s not “excusing” anything, this is some bullshit you guys dreamed up. I’ve actually expressed extreme rage at Democrats in this very thread, today. But I don’t care how much Democrats gently caress up, nothing good can come of them losing. Because Republicans.

It’s just an actual, objective fact: elections in America are won by Democrats or Republicans. If you don’t have any ideas as to how to change that (spoiler: you absolutely don’t), then we should talk about two things: how to make Democrats better, and how to make them beat Republicans.

If you don’t want to talk about those things, and would rather talk about how everybody but you is stupid for for thinking that the difference between Republicans and Democrats matters, then you’re not really talking about politics, you’re just venting and self-aggrandizing. And it’s tiresome.

Now go quote me in your weird thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUGi2X42sQ

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

World War Mammories posted:

When I was 16 I thought life is worth losing was a really funny and edgy bit of standup and now I'm 31 and it's just depressing because it's about how everyone single person is hosed from the moment they're born.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If you cut out the mass death, child torture and police brutality all that sounds wonderful. Also assuming you look at the 1/6 coup is about as bad as it could get. This is dangerously naive my dude.

Mass death child torture and police brutality are famously exclusive to republicans

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

I'm not gonna write a long effortpost about this but

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

goddamn, manchin stating the obvious exploded so many liberal brains lmao

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

is pepsi ok posted:

goddamn, manchin stating the obvious exploded so many liberal brains lmao

wtf,, I love manchin now???

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Its really bizarre to simultaneously hold the thought that a majority of the American electorate is irredeemably racist and stupid and still uphold Democracy as the zenith of virtue in society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

And I'm sick and tired of such people, and wish they would just drop the pretense and reveal themselves as the embarrassed CHUDs they really are, if you want my unvarnished opinion on the matter. Their reasoning tracks exactly with the CHUD type line of thinking from how they describe Biden, how they tout Trump "accomplishments", even down to bringing up the "DEMOCRAT" party bullshit over and over again just to trigger libs. They may be fooling some folks with that but they're not fooling me, they're not fooling you, and I think plenty of people ITT and elsewhere are on to their act. I mean these assholes already moved on to dragging AOC for gently caress's sake.