Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anyone else looking forward to smt5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I mean I've been playing Nocturne HD and the fact that a port of a nearly 20 year old game drops to a single digit framerate on occasion is pretty silly

Every time I use Heat Wave lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Stux posted:

the switch sold out at launch, and then a second time at the start of the pandemic. therefore no one cares about graphics and the ps5 and series x should switch to arm socs and become portable

lmao this thread gets so touchy sometimes.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
arm socs??? socks are for your feet, idiot

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Sudden Javelin posted:

arm socs??? socks are for your feet, idiot

the switch comes with arm socks to make up for its gpu not heating up your house for you

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Science_enthusiast posted:

I am not a technophobe I just find the idea of "need" when it comes to more graphics a little dumb, and an artificial concept planted by big hardware companies that want to sell stuff. I like stuff as well as the next person but also i dont think that an endless increase in graphical fidelity is particularly interesting.

Well as I mentioned it's not just graphics, it's draw distance, it's hit registry, it's units on the screen and stream quality, it's particle effects (even graphically dumbed down) and load speeds. It's also improvements in networking, screen glare, battery life and other factors. Who doesn't want better of these? These aren't demands, these are exciting possibilities to pair with the kinds of software Nintendo also releases.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think the switch could run gta 5 that well

It first launched on the 360 and PS3, which the underclocked Switch is basically equivalent to (but with eight times the ram). It'd run fine if Rockstar cared to do the work necessary (especially given the solid state memory it uses vs the HDDs in the previous consoles) to port it but lol.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

this thread is definitely past mid cycle

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You know what would be funny as hell is Rockstar porting GTA Online but not the single player GTA5 because GTAO is where they make all the money.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mister Facetious posted:

It first launched on the 360 and PS3, which the underclocked Switch is basically equivalent to (but with eight times the ram). It'd run fine if Rockstar cared to do the work necessary to port it but lol.

i'm sure you're right, i forgot how old the original version is. i've just played a lot of bad ports. it's weird how there's basically no rockstar games on the switch. not even chinatown wars, which is the best one they ever made.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

i am excited to play game builder garage on my nintendo switch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nintendo should make more major games imho

Based capcom saved the switch for me with rise this year and it run good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

anyone else looking forward to smt5

Based atlus saving the switch for me this winter

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Postman posted:

i am excited to play game builder garage on my nintendo switch
I'll probably impulse buy it and gently caress around a bit but I'm more excited to see what crazy poo poo some people are able to come up with in a few weeks/months.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i'm sure you're right, i forgot how old the original version is. i've just played a lot of bad ports. it's weird how there's basically no rockstar games on the switch. not even chinatown wars, which is the best one they ever made.

Yeah, the closest to that would be Shakedown Hawaii, though it's more involved.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Stux was right?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Is the GameCube controller the only option for analog triggers? Looking at getting another gamepad and I'm not as married to the Pro Controller or 8Bitdo as a lot of other people, and I know Grid Autosport will make use of analog triggers.

I asked this in the middle of a lot of really good high-value posts so I'm asking again. Pretty sure the answer is "no, and why do you care about Grid Autosport" but I just want to be sure.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Is tony hawks actually confirmed coming out this month? Cant find any European listings for it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Stux posted:

what evidence do you have that they sold well given that the fervor for making the ports dried up immediately. the only sales figures we have show they didnt do as well as would be expected from big name titles, and the absence of more ports even of titles from the same gen as the witcher 3 would seem to indicate there was not enough demand to warrant bigger devs pushing more titles over. however on the other hand, you bought them therefore itss impossible to work out whats going on. if "guy who cant shut up about how the switch is weak" bought them then they must have done well.

I don't own Doom Eternal nor Witcher 3 on the Switch and I was mainly talking about indie multiplatforms of which I have many digitally downloaded. I'm going to pre-empt whatever 'aha!' you think this is and say it isn't and you need drastically better reading comprehension. I don't think the lack of Witcher 4 or Doom Whatever on the Switch will in and of itself doom the Switch to irrelevance. My argument is that the runaway success of the Switch is in part based on the much better support it's had from 3rd party developers compared to previous console generations, and now that the other manufacturers have advanced their hardware, that support will start to dry up unless Nintendo advances their hardware to a level that still allows for indie developers to port over their titles without having to devote more development time and resources than they think is worth it.

Nintendo having excellent first party games is a given, and wasn't enough to make people buy the Wii U. Evidently a huge part of the Switch's success is down to the form factor. I would say an equally important factor was the availability of a shitload of great indie and otherwise multiplatform games. Maybe you disagree and think that the install base is now large enough that Nintendo could take a poo poo on everyone else and keep sales momentum high but history suggests not, and I don't think it's controversial to believe that a Switch Pro or whatever is close to release to give developers a bit more power to carry on supporting the Switch as well as it has been.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I would think the person with 10,000 posts in the Xbox has the wrong kind of RAM thread would be more concerned about the Switch underperforming

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the swithc pwns

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Unless the New Super Nintendo Switch Pro can run all current and future games at 120FPS in 16K, Nintendo is doomed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I don't own Doom Eternal nor Witcher 3 on the Switch and I was mainly talking about indie multiplatforms of which I have many digitally downloaded. I'm going to pre-empt whatever 'aha!' you think this is and say it isn't and you need drastically better reading comprehension. I don't think the lack of Witcher 4 or Doom Whatever on the Switch will in and of itself doom the Switch to irrelevance. My argument is that the runaway success of the Switch is in part based on the much better support it's had from 3rd party developers compared to previous console generations, and now that the other manufacturers have advanced their hardware, that support will start to dry up unless Nintendo advances their hardware to a level that still allows for indie developers to port over their titles without having to devote more development time and resources than they think is worth it.

Nintendo having excellent first party games is a given, and wasn't enough to make people buy the Wii U. Evidently a huge part of the Switch's success is down to the form factor. I would say an equally important factor was the availability of a shitload of great indie and otherwise multiplatform games. Maybe you disagree and think that the install base is now large enough that Nintendo could take a poo poo on everyone else and keep sales momentum high but history suggests not, and I don't think it's controversial to believe that a Switch Pro or whatever is close to release to give developers a bit more power to carry on supporting the Switch as well as it has been.

i dont onw these games, however i will keep yelling about them in the thread where everyone wants me to shut up

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
It seems like New Pokemon Snap really came and went.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Based atlus saving the switch for me this winter

thinking about the windter period. snuggled up with a hot coco and shin megami tensei 5. jack frost, we will meet again

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I would think the person with 10,000 posts in the Xbox has the wrong kind of RAM thread would be more concerned about the Switch underperforming
He doesn't even own an Xbox, that's what's so insane about all of this.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TheScott2K posted:

I asked this in the middle of a lot of really good high-value posts so I'm asking again. Pretty sure the answer is "no, and why do you care about Grid Autosport" but I just want to be sure.

tbh I'm not sure if any controllers other than the GC even communicate analog trigger information to the Switch, regardless if they have them or not

I could be wrong

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the xbox pwns too but thats a story for a differnt thread.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Odd Mutant posted:

Gone in a... flash?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Stux posted:

i dont onw these games, however i will keep yelling about them in the thread where everyone wants me to shut up

gonna take up a lot of your time posting in every single thread on the forums

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Stux posted:

I mean gently caress me for trying to have a discussion in the Switch discussion thread. You think the Switch is solely successful because it's a handheld Nintendo console with lots of good Nintendo games. I think it's successful because it's a handheld console with lots of good Nintendo games and also lots of good multiplatform games. This position doesn't deserve the ridiculous straw manning I got from you and the hyper light drifter av.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I will say "you can play Doom 2016 on it while you and your wife half-watch some Netflix thing after the kids are finally asleep" did get me off the fence on buying a Switch, for whatever that's worth. Probably also never would have played Witcher 3 if it hadn't come out on it, so that was cool.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Better whatevers is a dumb argument simply because everyone seems to ignoring the elephant in the room.

The console is portable, that in itself is the point. The cherry on top is that it is also possibly a home console! But seriously the fact that it's portable makes it a delight. I don't have a new or big smartphone, so I don't know how games work on those these days, but even then I imagine most people prefer games on consoles, and so it really has zero competition on that front. Do you want a portable system? Get a Switch.

I also don't have a good PC, so I'm very happy when games show up on the Switch, performance be damned. There's very little I would personally consider unplayable, and I've yet to encounter it.

Wildtortilla posted:

My nephew got reeeaaaalllly into Mario over the past year from playing Galaxy on his Dad’s Wii. His sixth birthday is in a few months and he will be receiving a Switch from his parents. I’m putting a lot of thought into what game(s) I’m going to get him.

For mainline Mario titles I’m thinking about :
-Odyssey
-3D World
-All Stars (probably not since he has Galaxy already and I’m struggling to adapt to 64 and Suneshine as I play through Allstars).
-the Wii U NSMB (it got a port, right? I played it on Wii U and thought it was great).

I’m also thinking about Mario themed games:
-Captain Toad
-Smash Bros.
-Mario Kart

I’m also considering Link’s Awaking. He is aware of Link and Zelda but is under the misconception that he’s too young to play them. I call bullshit because I was playing original LoZ when I was 4 or 5. I wasn’t good at it and I didn’t know what I was doing but I had lots of fun with it. I completed LA as my first solo Zelda game when I was about 7. My nephew is the smartest kid I’ve ever met so I’m pretty sure he’d handle LA just fine.

I welcome any help narrowing down my list to one or two games, or other suggestions to consider (this is my first time ever buying a game for a kid).

It's a good list, but I would strongly consider getting a Online subscription and letting him hash it out with the SNES classics which still really hold up. Between All-Stars, World, and Yoshi's Island there's plenty, and Link to the Past is a great loving Zelda, I'd argue even more interesting than Awakenings at that age, in the event your nephew can't read super well.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

I mean gently caress me for trying to have a discussion in the Switch discussion thread.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I can't believe this is even an argument nor that everyone is being performatively stupid about it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I mean gently caress me for trying to have a discussion in the Switch discussion thread. You think the Switch is solely successful because it's a handheld Nintendo console with lots of good Nintendo games. I think it's successful because it's a handheld console with lots of good Nintendo games and also lots of good multiplatform games. This position doesn't deserve the ridiculous straw manning I got from you and the hyper light drifter av.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

just trying to have a normal conversation where I say everyone is stupid but me

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

My mistake was evidently that I thought it was performative

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Odd Mutant posted:

I mean it was my top 2 weeks of gaming in 2021 so far but eventually I did everything in it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

My mistake was evidently that I thought it was performative

your mistake was your montior was off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think the switch is successful because it sold out a hell of a lot, the last 18 months. That is true of all gaming kit though, the pandemic has simultaneously screwed supply and increased demand.

As an owner of multiple platforms, I definitely do not consider getting any multiplat on the switch though. I'd only consider multiplat titles relevant for gamers who only own a switch and do not have xbox / playstation / gaming pc available

e.g. I already have Doom 2016, Doom Eternal and Witcher 3 on xbox, I have literally no desire to install them on my switch (even if they were free)