Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Turn in your nerd card. NX isn't a class (outside of the original Enterprise), it's an experimental designation. The Franklin was a "Freedom" class vessel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was just happy Enterprise got some acknowledgment. There was even a Xindi mention!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If you told me ten years ago that I would unironically enjoy a Star Trek film that blows up hordes of alien ships using the power of the Beastie Boys, I would have never believed you. It shouldn't work, but it so does.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Turn in your nerd card. NX isn't a class (outside of the original Enterprise), it's an experimental designation. The Franklin was a "Freedom" class vessel.

If it looks like an upside down Akira then it's an NX class sorry. I don't make the rules

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

09 is 'fun' in a forgetable way. It didn't leave an impression and the only reason I still think about it is the Star Trek tag. It's peak JJ filmmaking, at his best he's forgettable and makes explosions for 2 hours. At his worst he's Into Darkness and Skywalker.

As a Beyond fan, I think like Lower Decks it manages to show that the people writing and making the film understand what Trek is and love it. It's not the best film, but it's consistently fun and it just feels like Star Trek to me in a way that the new stuff just doesn't. (Or hell the TNG movies didn't.)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The weirdest part about ST 09 is when it came out and a ST movie was briefly seen as main stream cool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Marx Headroom posted:

If it looks like an upside down Akira then it's an NX class sorry. I don't make the rules

They aren't even close to the same size!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spacebump posted:

The weirdest part about ST 09 is when it came out and a ST movie was briefly seen as main stream cool.
Then Paramount didn’t know how to capitalize on that and STD got delayed so people cared a lot less by the time it actually came out

syense
Oct 13, 2018

people who play large jenga at bars have nothing of interest in their lives.
Do you think governor kodos got away with it in the kelvin universe

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They got so close to finally getting what they wanted out of the brand after decades of trying to turn it into a dumb shoot em up, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by Star wars and comic book movies. Now they've got nothing left but hardcore nerds who only care about fanservice because everybody else has moved on to other shows that actually offered what Star Trek used to

Of all the shows I have encountered in my travels hiswasthemost

Yooman

syense
Oct 13, 2018

I'm rewatching voyager and had forgotten they did a whole episode about the immorality of making healthcare only accessible to the elite. Honestly not a bad episode over all. It helps it's doctor heavy.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

syense posted:

I'm rewatching voyager and had forgotten they did a whole episode about the immorality of making healthcare only accessible to the elite. Honestly not a bad episode over all. It helps it's doctor heavy.

What's the ep number?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
7x05 Critical Care, good ep. Up there with Past Tense and Bar Association imo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Apparently Playmobil has a Star Trek licence!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Then Paramount didn’t know how to capitalize on that and STD got delayed so people cared a lot less by the time it actually came out

The facts really don't fit your narrative. Into Darkness made almost a hundred million more dollars than '09 did. Beyond was the movie that no one cared about, largely because Paramount completely cocked up the marketing campaign.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 7, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

The facts really don't fit your narrative. Into Darkness made almost a hundred million more dollars than '09 did. Beyond was the movie that no one cared about, largely because Paramount completely cocked up the marketing campaign.

For all its faults, Into Darkness was a rare example of Trek striking while the iron was hot and reaping a big payout for it… which was then immediately squandered by Paramount being Paramount, but still.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The new movies are basically the most modern film thing possible. Ruthlessly exploiting Nostalgia even if that Nostalgia is for something you didn’t watch.

Though Beyond wasn’t really that and it flopped comparatively so they aren’t wrong

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
People didn't go see the third one because a) the second one blew and b) anything those movies were doing were being offered in spades by other properties by the time the third one came out

e: gently caress I forget which thread I've posted in sometimes sorry

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 7, 2021

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

7x05 Critical Care, good ep. Up there with Past Tense and Bar Association imo

Past tense was okay to me. Dax does absolutely nothing in it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I can't remember, did Beyond actually flop, or did it just succumb to the brain parasite that infested all the Hollywood execs that made them think any franchise movie that didn't make "Avengers money" wasn't worth doing?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can't remember, did Beyond actually flop, or did it just succumb to the brain parasite that infested all the Hollywood execs that made them think any franchise movie that didn't make "Avengers money" wasn't worth doing?

It did actually flop, not catastrophically but the studio probably did lose money on it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean in the end Star Trk is a big enough brand that under the current system if it doesn’t make tons of money it’s a flop.

Is it a dumb greedy system? Yeah but that’s just what the industry is

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Terror Sweat posted:

Past tense was okay to me. Dax does absolutely nothing in it

Dax coming along is worthwhile just for the fact that the two brown dudes get immediately thrown in a concentration camp while she gets invited to party with tech bros

syense
Oct 13, 2018

STB took in $345mn on a $185mn budget, so basically the same as ST09 numbers. Heck those three films made a over a billion bucks at the box office.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

09 made 40 million more on a budget that was 30 million less

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ST:ID had significantly more marketing budget behind it to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if it offset the higher box office.

ST:B ran like two TV commercials before shoving it into the theaters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

ST:B ran like two TV commercials before shoving it into the theaters.

That awful teaser trailer released in December 2015 didn't help matters at all, and it did nothing to quell the "lol the fast and furious guy is making this one" sentiment, either.

bull3964 posted:

ST:ID had significantly more marketing budget behind it to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if it offset the higher box office.

Doubtful. All three Kelvin movies had their budgets significantly offset by product placement.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9lkWmcA_vk

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

As I understand it, the biggest issue that led to the Kelvinverse fizzling out was the corporate split led to the movies being created. Trek as a property was split up along with Viacom in 2006, with the TV rights going to CBS and the film rights going to Paramount. Now, Paramount wanted a franchise, so they brushed off TOS and rebooted it and came up with various ways to make it different from the original show. However, what Abrams eventually discovered was that while he could make movies to his heart's content, any attempts to expand the Kelvinverse into a true multimedia brand with TV spinoffs, books, games, and whatever would require negotiations with CBS over what could be made, what elements from TOS and other parts of the TV franchise could be used, and so on. It apparently got to the point that Abrams demanded that CBS stop selling TOS merchandise in favor of Kelvinverse stuff, prompting CBS to tell him to go screw. After that, I imagine Abrams cooled on Trek considerably, and decided to bow out and go for the Star Wars gig rather than try building a franchise with both arms tied behind his back.

Most any Kelvinverse merchandise quietly withered on the vine. Pocket Books commissioned some Kelvinverse novels, but those ended up sitting on the shelf for years before the reunification of Viacom brought Trek under one house again. I don't even think you can buy that terrible third-person shooter that nearly killed Digital Extremes on digital storefronts anymore.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thinking about Trek merch I just remembered I am *sure* I have an unmade model kit of DS9 in the garage somewhere. I should go on an expeditiion to find it. I got the little Micro Machines set from an etsy seller and it's excellent. Galor class, my favourite, a little DS9, and a runabout.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marshal Radisic posted:

As I understand it, the biggest issue that led to the Kelvinverse fizzling out was the corporate split led to the movies being created. Trek as a property was split up along with Viacom in 2006, with the TV rights going to CBS and the film rights going to Paramount. Now, Paramount wanted a franchise, so they brushed off TOS and rebooted it and came up with various ways to make it different from the original show. However, what Abrams eventually discovered was that while he could make movies to his heart's content, any attempts to expand the Kelvinverse into a true multimedia brand with TV spinoffs, books, games, and whatever would require negotiations with CBS over what could be made, what elements from TOS and other parts of the TV franchise could be used, and so on. It apparently got to the point that Abrams demanded that CBS stop selling TOS merchandise in favor of Kelvinverse stuff, prompting CBS to tell him to go screw. After that, I imagine Abrams cooled on Trek considerably, and decided to bow out and go for the Star Wars gig rather than try building a franchise with both arms tied behind his back.

Most any Kelvinverse merchandise quietly withered on the vine. Pocket Books commissioned some Kelvinverse novels, but those ended up sitting on the shelf for years before the reunification of Viacom brought Trek under one house again. I don't even think you can buy that terrible third-person shooter that nearly killed Digital Extremes on digital storefronts anymore.

You're not wrong--licensing was definitely a factor--but the bigger issue was that prior to the reunification of Paramount and CBS, Paramount was in severe financial straits, to the point that Alibaba buying the entire studio outright was an option that was very much on the table, and following the under-performance of Beyond, Paramount's higher-ups saw Trek as a franchise that had hit an extremely harsh wall of diminishing returns (which is why they lowballed Hemsworth and Pine with their contract offers for the Kelvin Trek 4 that never happened).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s kinda funny how they marketed the poo poo out of ST09 and it had a ton of merch for a Trek film, but all of it was awful.

I mean they gave the loving toy license back to Playmates!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s kinda funny how they marketed the poo poo out of ST09 and it had a ton of merch for a Trek film, but all of it was awful.

Paramount's licensing department has been a complete clusterfuck for the better part of two decades. I have absolutely no earthly idea how Michael Bartok has managed to keep his job for so long, because he's utterly incompetent at it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Paramount's licensing department has been a complete clusterfuck for the better part of two decades. I have absolutely no earthly idea how Michael Bartok has managed to keep his job for so long, because he's utterly incompetent at it.
Yeah the merchandising was a disaster and really has been for most of my adult life

We don't even get regular Trek games anymore and things like Star Trek Bridge Crew are the exception. Otherwise it's just mobile trash.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the merchandising was a disaster and really has been for most of my adult life

We don't even get regular Trek games anymore and things like Star Trek Bridge Crew are the exception. Otherwise it's just mobile trash.

Bridge Crew is such a great game. So close to the perfect Star Trek game. I wish we could get a sequel. It was so much fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spacebump posted:

Bridge Crew is such a great game. So close to the perfect Star Trek game. I wish we could get a sequel. It was so much fun.

There's nothing stopping a sequel, it's not like Ubisoft or Red Storm have gone out of business. But as I understand things, it sold incredibly poorly.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Timby posted:

There's nothing stopping a sequel, it's not like Ubisoft or Red Storm have gone out of business. But as I understand things, it sold incredibly poorly.

Like that's not surprising, a game that required VR on release and a bunch of friends who also have VR headsets who want to play with you. Lol. They should've just made Bridge Commander 2.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Playmates original run of Trek toys was great though? :mad:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The sad thing with Beyond is that they had the perfect marketing opportunity with it being Star Trek’s 50th anniversary, and yet nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Playmates original run of Trek toys was great though? :mad:

Oh for sure, but it was also a bit lazy towards the end in terms of sculpts and you can really see that in their ST09 line. Every character has the exact same weirdly rectangular body and all the proportions are off. They even cheaped out on the big bridge set by making the floor a lovely piece of plastic wrap that you just set all the chairs and consoles on. It’s nowhere near the same quality or creativity as their 90s heyday and there’s no way they should have been handed the license.