Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Domus posted:

At least at my company, there is no backup whatsoever for many tasks. If someone calls off sick or takes vacation, the work just doesn’t get done. They can’t afford that.

They refuse to learn from experience as well. Our lead billing person for the entire company quit unexpectedly. It’s still causing clusterfucks every day that make us look hilariously unprofessional. Are they going to have more people learn to cover the lead billing tasks? No, they don’t have time to do that, and there’s no one to do their tasks if they stopped to train anyway.

Aaaah, you’re talking about lean.

Employing exactly the right number of people to do the job as it is right now.

When anyone going on holiday, being ill, or leaving for any reason means you suddenly become woefully understaffed.

When an unexpected small surge in demand means every single customer doesn’t get what they want because you don’t have the staff to cope with anything outside the exact average workload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Aaaah, you’re talking about lean.

Employing exactly the right number of people to do the job as it is right now.

When anyone going on holiday, being ill, or leaving for any reason means you suddenly become woefully understaffed.

When an unexpected small surge in demand means every single customer doesn’t get what they want because you don’t have the staff to cope with anything outside the exact average workload.

Making me have "6 lean sigma" flashbacks here.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Lol, look at this scrub focusing on results instead of whatever metrics he can pencil whip into looking good.

Amazon is the loving worst about this, they focus on raising a bunch of numbers and per-person numbers but none of it actually translates into how quickly the actual work gets done. Yeah, this department is handling 300 packages per person an hour but they’re cutting so many corners to get an extra ten percent there that it’s making the people that have to use their work go at half speed to unfuck the mess, and the rushing and unsafe conditions are causing injuries or behavior so unsafe it borders on actively suicidal.

That's every warehouse/distribution center for every company. In college I worked in a Staples warehouse for a summer and was literally running 40 pound boxes of paper from one end of a conveyor belt to another to try to keep my metrics up in a 90 degree building. We'd fill up belt that ran five floors with everything we could, and then get admonished for having downtime because other areas of the distribution center didn't/couldn't work as fast.

I quit that job a few weeks early because I was admonished for putting on a harness to step out and bring a pallet forward when I was on the top floor of the rack (50' up). I "took too long" and so my numbers weren't as high as they should have been that day.

Distribution centers are a nightmare.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I grew up with an ethos that there was no problem which could not be surmounted by a Swiss Army knife and a roll of duct tape.

Tbh the hate is doing most of the heavy lifting here.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I keep seeing people talk about agile jira board trello lean six sigma poo poo and I'm just over here like "I just tell people 'no' over and over all day on the phone and I'm alright with it"

Y'all poo poo sounds like a lot of... work?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AHH F/UGH posted:

I keep seeing people talk about agile jira board trello lean six sigma poo poo and I'm just over here like "I just tell people 'no' over and over all day on the phone and I'm alright with it"

Y'all poo poo sounds like a lot of... work?

How frequently does the form and reason for your "no" change? Is it going to potentially become "yes" in a month, or "lemon" a month after that?

All these stupid methodologies are to help turn a very chaotic process into something that, theoretically, a customer will want to purchase.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Volmarias posted:

How frequently does the form and reason for your "no" change? Is it going to potentially become "yes" in a month, or "lemon" a month after that?

All these stupid methodologies are to help turn a very chaotic process into something that, theoretically, a customer will want to purchase.

Nah, they're mostly there to harvest consulting fees and allow managers to justify their pointless micromanaging and completely artificial metrics.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Nah, they're mostly there to harvest consulting fees and allow managers to justify their pointless micromanaging and completely artificial metrics.

Well, yes, but we all politely pretend that's not it.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Volmarias posted:

No stays no, always. It's a perk of the job, I'd say.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CPxDyE2hHKb/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Sorry for Instagram link but it’s good

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Either I don't get it or you posted the wrong link. Is this some hold music that I'm not aware of?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Volmarias posted:

Either I don't get it or you posted the wrong link. Is this some hold music that I'm not aware of?

It’s Cisco’s hold music which is common in enterprise.

Pretty much all federal government and major hospitals

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Somehow that brought to mind the brief stint I did for a company that provided support for AT&T cellular customers.

To find information on stuff like International plans, cruise plans (which were different), promotions, and pretty much anything relating to service, you had to use the AT&T intranet site that was set up kind of like a wiki. I say "kind of," because instead of updating entries, they just created whole new pages. The old pages weren't removed or marked as deprecated, they were just replaced in search by new pages. So every single time you HAD to do a fresh search because if you bookmarked a page then it could be obsoleted and you would have no way of knowing it was no longer current. And the search on the intranet site was maybe as good as the SA forum search, so it was always a crapshoot if the search you are running now will return the same results as the identical search you ran an hour ago.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I grew up with an ethos that there was no problem which could not be surmounted by a Swiss Army knife and a roll of duct tape.

We talking actual swiss army knife, or AR15 "army knife"?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
What the gently caress is assigned to me? Let me check my workflow, sharepoint sites, ticketing system (separate from workflow), assigned KPIs, random notes I scribbled during meetings, emails (focal point for random poo poo :killme:), half-remembered conversations, random tracking Excel sheets, etc...

I'd much rather if everything was assigned to one system even if it was lovely. Hell, give me a classic lovely Java client. I won't complain, not after dealing with this chaotic mess.

e: forgot about the random tracking Excel sheets lol. Just proves I have too many places where my tasks can be hidden.
e2: Oh gently caress I forgot work instant messengers which are a thing now.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 7, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Password field that isn't exact-match sensitive.

I think that stands on its own without explanation.
My high school library in the 90s had a system which accepted wildcards in the username field. So you'd enter * in the username field and an obviously dumb password like "Password" or the name of the school and it would log you in as the first user it could find with that password. :v:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Workaday Wizard posted:

e: forgot about the random tracking Excel sheets lol. Just proves I have too many places where my tasks can be hidden.

I recently worked in a place who didn't want to pay for Slack, so any work or intelligence gathered in it were lost to the winds after 10k posts.

In an organsation of 400, so basically a busy day of posts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

My high school library in the 90s had a system which accepted wildcards in the username field. So you'd enter * in the username field and an obviously dumb password like "Password" or the name of the school and it would log you in as the first user it could find with that password. :v:

That is loving amazing and I love it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

I recently worked in a place who didn't want to pay for Slack, so any work or intelligence gathered in it were lost to the winds after 10k posts.

This has to be the nadir of trying to cram a workflow on an excel sheet.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Our company rules only hold 24 hours of history in Google Chat so to get around this you have very few Chats but 1237213679162 rooms since they let Rooms store history for some reason instead. Awesome system, works great

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Here's something fun my work does all the time:

-I go to do something I've done a dozen times
-It gets rejected by someone I've never spoken to before
-They say I need X attachment or Y form signed off as well
-That wasn't communicated before and now I basically have to restart
-I do it the new way they want
-It gets rejected because I didn't also submit the info to a system I've never heard of
-I go to submit the details but get rejected because I haven't taken the training for the system
-Request training
-Denied because my supervisor didn't request it for me first???
-Wait two weeks for my supervisor to get around to it
-Original report now grossly late
-Get rejected again because my training certificate hasn't populated in the system yet
-Get an average score on my appraisal for not "taking enough initiative"

Seems to happen about once a month. I can't keep up with how frequently the standards change and that I never know where it's going to come from.
There is no one above me who checks my work, makes sure I have the right access to stuff or that digests new policy.
I'm going insane.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DOD?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can not confirm or deny :ninja:
But my productivity is in the toilet because I'm constantly fighting the systems at play. I can't keep the expectations straight and talking to my coworkers, neither can they.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Configuration management teams hire people with the least possible foresight possible. This is to ensure constant process updates that the managers can bill as 'improvements'.

I feel your pain

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh my god.

I wonder if anywhere is still doing the stupid thing my High School did in the 2000s: everybody's password was their birthday :suicide: .

Also letting students have permissions sufficient to use the 'NET SEND *' command which sent a text message to EVERY computer on the domain. Although that one was fixed rather quickly after students discovered it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Sardonik posted:

Oh my god.

I wonder if anywhere is still doing the stupid thing my High School did in the 2000s: everybody's password was their birthday :suicide: .

Also letting students have permissions sufficient to use the 'NET SEND *' command which sent a text message to EVERY computer on the domain. Although that one was fixed rather quickly after students discovered it.

NET SEND brings back so many memories of my highschool teachers getting upset that a student in a computer lab somewhere on campus sent PENIS to every single computer. We'd get an angry announcement shortly after but the adults were barely capable of working an abacus so it's probably still possible to do that today.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Somehow that brought to mind the brief stint I did for a company that provided support for AT&T cellular customers.

To find information on stuff like International plans, cruise plans (which were different), promotions, and pretty much anything relating to service, you had to use the AT&T intranet site that was set up kind of like a wiki. I say "kind of," because instead of updating entries, they just created whole new pages. The old pages weren't removed or marked as deprecated, they were just replaced in search by new pages. So every single time you HAD to do a fresh search because if you bookmarked a page then it could be obsoleted and you would have no way of knowing it was no longer current. And the search on the intranet site was maybe as good as the SA forum search, so it was always a crapshoot if the search you are running now will return the same results as the identical search you ran an hour ago.

Dang. Our internal ticket system allows users to create Knowledge Articles which can be referenced by support to help resolve issues. Good idea, so I created multiple detailed articles to address common issues and set these to published and got a notification that the article was now live! Maybe about a year later after wondering why we were still getting the same tickets I was informed that after publishing a knowledge article it doesn't become visible, it instead goes to your own personal article review queue and sits there until you approve your own article. This queue provides no notifications that there are items there for you to look at, nor does any step in the process tell you to go there.

I asked if this process could be improved to either remove this pointless step or at least let users know it is required, was informed that yep it's a confusing process.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Most of the "training" I get is bloated with stuff like, "All modules are subject to G-H7 review unless an IFRM waiver has been assigned by the COM analyst in the FY in which a Level 3 UO got a divorce."

These dipshits frontload everything with jargon and only give context, if any ever comes, at the end.
It's so infuriating to have to do everything twice because I don't know what the gently caress they are talking about.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Workaday Wizard posted:

What the gently caress is assigned to me? Let me check my workflow, sharepoint sites, ticketing system (separate from workflow), assigned KPIs, random notes I scribbled during meetings, emails (focal point for random poo poo :killme:), half-remembered conversations, random tracking Excel sheets, etc...

I'd much rather if everything was assigned to one system even if it was lovely. Hell, give me a classic lovely Java client. I won't complain, not after dealing with this chaotic mess.

Yes but have you considered that someone owns each of those individual systems and that it is very important that they keep their job so we have to keep all these systems because very important people need to own things so that they can get promoted?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Inzombiac posted:

Most of the "training" I get is bloated with stuff like, "All modules are subject to G-H7 review unless an IFRM waiver has been assigned by the COM analyst in the FY in which a Level 3 UO got a divorce."

These dipshits frontload everything with jargon and only give context, if any ever comes, at the end.
It's so infuriating to have to do everything twice because I don't know what the gently caress they are talking about.

drat, your training documents have words?

Several documents I opened were just a handful of screenshots, no words, no context. One had a single screenshot of the output with the only step basically being "1). Run the program".

Uh, sure. How does one get to the program? What are the parameters? What do I input? :iiam:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Azuth0667 posted:

NET SEND brings back so many memories of my highschool teachers getting upset that a student in a computer lab somewhere on campus sent PENIS to every single computer. We'd get an angry announcement shortly after but the adults were barely capable of working an abacus so it's probably still possible to do that today.

You got me curious and I just looked. Apparently it looks like in Windows 10 SEND is no longer a valid function of NET. It's been buggy whipped!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zarin posted:

Several documents I opened were just a handful of screenshots, no words, no context. One had a single screenshot of the output with the only step basically being "1). Run the program".

Uh, sure. How does one get to the program? What are the parameters? What do I input? :iiam:

Ha, most of the supporting documentation is from before 2008 and is mostly that. Screenshots, contextless arrows, no way of knowing when things are appropriate.
I wouldn't stress so much about it but I'm handling a lot of money and contracts and if they are mishandled, it's my rear end.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BitBasher posted:

You got me curious and I just looked. Apparently it looks like in Windows 10 SEND is no longer a valid function of NET. It's been buggy whipped!

It died with Vista.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Y'all are getting training documents?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Thomamelas posted:

It died with Vista.

PHUO: this is a more legitimate reason to dislike Vista than most others.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zarin posted:

One of the hardest problems in my org is finding the actual URL to get to whatever system.
I normally end up searching the portal and hopefully you find a document that actually has it listed.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So just found out that both the test analysts in my terrible are team are leaving in the next two weeks (outsourced resource so short notice period).

And their test lead is leaving in a month.

... and I have a second interview on Thursday so may be handing in my notice next week.

This is going to go so very, very well!

Hopefully they'll realise the terrible culture of the team is burning people out because there's no way you can keep up with the pace without doing 10-12 hour days every day.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Y'all are getting training documents?

*in my best Rodney Dangerfield voice* "Hey everyone, check out the person fancy enough to get trained by an actual person!"

inb4 I'm corrected that there was no trainer :v:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There are few sources of schadenfreude more pure than that felt by an underappreciated or misused employee as they leave for greener pastures knowing that their former employers are royally hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

*in my best Rodney Dangerfield voice* "Hey everyone, check out the person fancy enough to get trained by an actual person!"

inb4 I'm corrected that there was no trainer :v:

Does "the only person who knows how the system works, and has refused to train anyone or write anything down for the sake of job security, right up until work stress + age was enough they had to" count as a trainer? If so then I got 50% and the other 50% has been "uh, figure it out, here's some complete stuff to look at" that I reformatted as real guides, because I'm keenly aware I'm going to be in the same position down the line if I stay here.