Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

One more! :yotj:

Interviewed for two different openings at the same place. Received two offers, so I got to take my pick. It's an all-AWS shop, heavy on Terraform, Kubernetes, etc. Salary was in-line with my expectations and comes with a benefits package that puts my previous workplace to shame. Cheaper insurance with better coverage, and a 2-for-1 match retirement plan to boot.

Queadlunn posted:

A merry YOTJ to us all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

If you ever feel that you aren't cut out for your job, please know we are on day 8 of having a cisco admin console being opened to the internet and the network team failing to fix it.

First I was told it was fixed and they closed the ticket. My Youngest daughter did the honors of going to the website from her ipad. I had to then tell a network engineer that his network testing was indeed flawed because (shocked face) its still up.

Next I was told that it was fixed for sure this time! Well poo poo, no its not fixed and I had my other child look it up on their ipad. I was then told it must be still cached. I asked my child to login with whatever they felt like typing in the username and password field and SHOCKED FACE, it returned a "password invalid". The network engineer still had the nerve to argue. He actually wouldn't admit defeat until I showed the SEIM log with the failed login from the user "thewebsiteisstillupnetworkteam". The last part wasn't even necessary as basic grade school level troubleshooting could proven otherwise.

I have a special hatred for people who declare things fixed without actually testing to see if it is fixed. If you're checking external access it takes seconds to turn the Wi-Fi off on your phone and drop back to LTE.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its been a complete shitshow at work since last week with several systems being broken, a combination from a 365 migration and group policy probably caused outlook not to work anymore and the only way to fix it was by pushing an update into computers but the update system is broken too. Now our higher ups put a hard deadline on getting all the machines migrated which means I'm just flipping machines the moment I see them log into the network. We were getting a lot of pushback by some of the organizations that they weren't ready because of x y z and now any excuse they have is useless because either you migrate or your account gets disabled. If I was in charge I'd ask each of their directors for a memo for each of their machines that gets disabled thats going to need more work than just a re-image.

I got hired as customer support and the last 4-5 months Ive been doing mostly sysadmin stuff. Im afraid of logging into the ticketing system because its going to have like 80 unassigned tickets we are going to have to sort through

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
How do you even gently caress a 365 migration up, either your coworkers or whoever you’re working with are complete failures

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

i am a moron posted:

How do you even gently caress a 365 migration up, either your coworkers or whoever you’re working with are complete failures

This is the army so everything is rear end backwards. The people that provide the email service are in a completely different organization than the people setting up the group policies for the domains in each region. So suddenly people that were migrated into the regions domain were starting to get a 365 pop up when trying to set up their email when they hadn't even been furnished with a 365 account yet.

I spent like an hour trying to troubleshoot the Department of Public Works director outlook and we couldn't figure out the problem, it looked like his entire mailbox had been nuked. Ended up being that he came in from the pentagon and they ran on their OWN system and they migrated earlier than the army. Its a clusterfuck

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Wait, like the US Army? Or the national guard? Cause i thought they migrated all the active duty orgs to hosted Exchange circa 2011 (was on a division staff at the time so my actual knowledge of what was happening easily could’ve been wrong). Which would make a 365 migration easy.

Edit: and the hosted exchange migration was like ‘hey here’s your new email you loving dipshit good luck logging in’ so sounds about par for the course lmao

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 6, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is the army so everything is rear end backwards. The people that provide the email service are in a completely different organization than the people setting up the group policies for the domains in each region. So suddenly people that were migrated into the regions domain were starting to get a 365 pop up when trying to set up their email when they hadn't even been furnished with a 365 account yet.

I spent like an hour trying to troubleshoot the Department of Public Works director outlook and we couldn't figure out the problem, it looked like his entire mailbox had been nuked. Ended up being that he came in from the pentagon and they ran on their OWN system and they migrated earlier than the army. Its a clusterfuck

I was both in the US army and in Commo, so it doesn't surprise me how hosed up things still are.

I am sure the army still doesn't know what the gently caress to do about technology. They don't recruit technical people to do technical stuff, they recruit soldiers and ask them to sometimes do technical things. Its setup to fail from the start as few people with any of those skills are actually going to join and even less so that the few that do actually end up in the right place to make a difference. Military contractors in this space, in hopes to fill the gaps, also loving suck to the point of it all being laughable and stupid. I haven't met a miltary contractor working in tech that wasn't a bottom barrel worker who was sucking up a paycheck, hoping nobody would ask them to do anything. Somehow 10x as generate as the public sector could possible be!

They just won't let tradition get out of the way and realize that much like the air force, they need recruit passable people, teach them some basic skills, and let them focus on those things instead of trying to make them part time soldiers.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

i am a moron posted:

Wait, like the US Army? Or the national guard? Cause i thought they migrated all the active duty orgs to hosted Exchange circa 2011 (was on a division staff at the time so my actual knowledge of what was happening easily could’ve been wrong). Which would make a 365 migration easy.

Edit: and the hosted exchange migration was like ‘hey here’s your new email you loving dipshit good luck logging in’ so sounds about par for the course lmao

Regular army. I was in the reserves when the shift happened to hosted exchange and we were furnished @mail.mil. Now its happening again and we are getting @usa.army.mil or something like that.

The whole thing has been messy, from the initial rollout of teams cvr and now the O365 change.

Sickening posted:

I was both in the US army and in Commo, so it doesn't surprise me how hosed up things still are.

I am sure the army still doesn't know what the gently caress to do about technology. They don't recruit technical people to do technical stuff, they recruit soldiers and ask them to sometimes do technical things. Its setup to fail from the start as few people with any of those skills are actually going to join and even less so that the few that do actually end up in the right place to make a difference. Military contractors in this space, in hopes to fill the gaps, also loving suck to the point of it all being laughable and stupid. I haven't met a miltary contractor working in tech that wasn't a bottom barrel worker who was sucking up a paycheck, hoping nobody would ask them to do anything. Somehow 10x as generate as the public sector could possible be!

They just won't let tradition get out of the way and realize that much like the air force, they need recruit passable people, teach them some basic skills, and let them focus on those things instead of trying to make them part time soldiers.

I was at a brigade S6 let me tell the vast majority of the 25 series we had in our battalions were not IT people, and we had a signal battalion under us. The only other guys that actually knew what they were doing were our warrant officers and a few of the officers that were dual personas that worked at the nec or commands IT office.

I decided not to reup when they had me be the sgt of the guard for an entire year while mobilized while a higher ranked less capable person manned the IT section. A year after my contract was done I was still getting whatsapp messages on how to fix poo poo that was breaking at the unit.

And not to bring service branches into the equation but the "Not hiring actual IT people" happens to all of them, you are a soldier first, a janitor second and whatever MOS you got third. When maria destroyed most comms on the island we had NG/ANG/AirForce/CoastGuard people come to our unit to use our network because we were literally the only ones in the area that were able to get them up and running on day 1 of the recovery efforts.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 6, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

, you are a soldier first, a janitor second and whatever MOS you got third.

This is how I got into IT by being assigned to some weirdo program as an artillery person assigned to a division staff and luckily got skills I parlayed into a high paying career instead of working in an oil field after my enlistment or something.

The good thing is when people talk about scale or sprawl in the civilian world you can be all oh yea? The bad thing is giving any of your time to uncle Sam’s demented rear end

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
So the recruiter called me about that job again. Apparently they're not going to offer me the full amount, I don't know if they've said a number but the recruiter said "what if they say X". My initial reaction is to say no because gently caress them if they want to stiff me on like £4k... but the number they might be offering is most likely going to be better than what I'm on now and I'd still be getting out of where I am at least. He said I'm the favourite but they have a backup so chances are if I push too much they'll just go with the other guy.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 7, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So they published a salary and they are offering you below it? Tell them to go gently caress themselves, you entered into this whole process in good faith that the job would pay what it was advertised at.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

So they published a salary and they are offering you below it? Tell them to go gently caress themselves, you entered into this whole process in good faith that the job would pay what it was advertised at.

Well it was "up to" a number. But when the recruiter called me first he said that number and I went in based on that number. I assumed he passed that on because there was never a conversation about salary in any of the interviews or after that.

I don't know if he was passing the message onto me or if this was just him saying it, but he said something like they can't offer me the full amount on principle because they have people there already on that amount and they have more experience/are better than me.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

At least you have learnt to never trust a recruiter. They are there to introduce you only, and anything else than that is suspect. Always verify information, especially something as vital as money.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So it sounds like they brought in "Mr. Cidr" to the interview to gently caress with you and justify paying you less. Tell them the number you want and if they won't meet it, then they don't value you anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah combined with that interview technique and being dicks on salary, most likely in collaboration with the recruiter, I'd tell them to shove it if you have the luxury of doing so.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

Where I work is kinda similar, I've had some disapproving exchanges with colleagues when I, for example, did not interview an internal candidate who put literally nothing IT related on his CV - yet people thought he'd be good in IT and were surprised bordering on annoyed when I didn't invite him in.

I always say it's easier to teach people prison life than technical skills, given that all of us managed to start working here with no prison experience it is obviously true... It's a similar principle I guess, people think prison experience is vitally important for some unknown reason.

Bonzo posted:

So it sounds like they brought in "Mr. Cidr" to the interview to gently caress with you and justify paying you less. Tell them the number you want and if they won't meet it, then they don't value you anyway.
I'd 90% go with this, 10% of me says 'If I really like the job and they offer me £x - 4 the question would be 'what do we need to achieve in 6 months time to change £x -4 to £x - such as an objective or qualification' - but i wouldnt have that conversation with the recruiter and that would have to be in writing and id have to feel like i trust them, not sure if that trust applies to the actual manager.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I don’t know which thread to ask in, come someone posty a linky to a good intro to power shell series? I found one that was good on YouTube but the guy only did two episodes or something

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

powershell in a month of lunches

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I don’t know which thread to ask in, come someone posty a linky to a good intro to power shell series? I found one that was good on YouTube but the guy only did two episodes or something

The powershell thread is here just in case you weren't aware https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440, doesn't see a ton of action though.

Most people say get started with Powershell in a month of lunches by Don Jones and Jeff Hicks.

Jeff Hicks is a good twitter follow https://twitter.com/JeffHicks

There's a ton of videos on Pluralsight

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Hell yeah thanks fellas

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

He said I'm the favourite but they have a backup so chances are if I push too much they'll just go with the other guy.

If you're the favorite, they'll pay you the salary you asked for. They don't have a backup.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you're the favorite, they'll pay you the salary you asked for. They don't have a backup.

I'm also willing to bet they haven't found a backup as well, there's no benefit from telling someone that. If they do and won't come to terms on your salary, you found a company who would rather hire someone in their opinion was worse but they got to save a few bucks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also now you know if you work there they don’t give raises if they’re worried the new guy will come in making as much or more.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
“You wouldn’t want to hire someone who folds when negotiating with vendors, or stakeholders for that matter, would you?”

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With all this recent :yotj: talk, I'm looking at hopping on the wagon.

Applied for a job a month back that was a bit of a stretch for my current skillset. I didn't hear anything so I figured they trashed my app.

I heard back from their HR last week and had a quick interview. Nailed that, and they scheduled an interview with two supervisors for this morning. Just wrapped that up, and I'm confident I aced it and feel pretty good that they are going to make an offer.

My current job is easy street, got a great team and a good boss but the pay is low. New job comes with a 'Senior' title and will likely be $20k-30k more. I think its going to be much busier though, and the work won't be as exciting as I was thinking based on the job description.

I'm not sure what I'll do if they make a competitive offer. :ohdear:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Take the money. Don't settle into low paid work where you aren't learning anything because it's easy, one day that job will get automated away from you or the gig-economy VC crowd will come for it.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

You should always assume that your company is just one software purchase away from making your position redundant. Give them a moving target.

Thanks Ants posted:

one day that job will get automated away from you or the gig-economy VC crowd will come for it.

What if Uber, but helpdesk?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
You either manage the machines or you're replaced by the machines

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hughmoris posted:

My current job is easy street, got a great team and a good boss but the pay is low. New job comes with a 'Senior' title and will likely be $20k-30k more. I think its going to be much busier though, and the work won't be as exciting as I was thinking based on the job description.

Take the new job. I spent the last 3-4 years on "easystreet" with a decent boss, great team, and not demanding job. I don't regret it, but I kinda do.

I'm making more money, and feel more fulfilled being busy, and generally am a little happier now.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Just got a job offer to be a branch engineer for an MSP its a 5$/ 20ish percent raise minimum from the CDS stuff I'm working before. I'm thinking I should take it even if theres more responsibility and I'm moving from a corp it to an MSP (as a W2 employee). 1. Should I take it and 2. has anyone worked for or with GadelNet and if so thoughts, they look pretty good on glassdoor and got good vibes at the interview?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know all your circumstances, but generally people leave MSP's for Corp IT work, not the other way around.

I don't know if that's the right move for you or not. MSP's are a great way to get exposed to a ton of stuff, and learn a ton quickly, but I recommend people absorb all they can in 12 to 24 months and try to get out of there. I'm sure there's some good MSP's out there, but in general I've seen they tend to be not great places to work.

I've been a spoiled corp IT guy for my entire career though, so I don't feel like I should make a recommendation one way or another. More responsibility and getting exposed to new technology is a good thing though. Killing yourself 60+ hours a week so the guy that owns the MSP can afford a lake house is not a good thing.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently Fastly expoloded last night, good morning everyone. AWS still appears to be down

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My inbox is full of all sorts of weird error message emails from Varonis now lol

I also picked last night to test if I could mess up the cloud migration tool but pausing and unpausing a bunch and somehow it still worked

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

LionYeti posted:

Just got a job offer to be a branch engineer for an MSP its a 5$/ 20ish percent raise minimum from the CDS stuff I'm working before. I'm thinking I should take it even if theres more responsibility and I'm moving from a corp it to an MSP (as a W2 employee). 1. Should I take it and 2. has anyone worked for or with GadelNet and if so thoughts, they look pretty good on glassdoor and got good vibes at the interview?

Have you ever worked at an MSP before? They're generally awful, and most people just use their time there as a stepping stone for bigger and better less stressful jobs down the line.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
So when I started as manager of the tech support team I had the pleasure of finding out everyone on my teams salary. Our most senior (1.5 years on the team) was hired at 40k, so with the 3% COL he got last year was still under 45k. He jumped ship for an MSP a little bit ago at what I assume was a pretty good pay bump.

We’ve since hired one other person at 45k (just before I started) who at this point I would place as the senior on the team as far as troubleshooting and general enthusiasm goes. And another at 50k and another at 45k. I am given pay ranges for hires and I just default to the highest end because why the hell not, it’s not my money.

I also found out my coworker sysadmin (who’s been here slightly longer than me, was originally hired as tech support and promoted to sysadmin) was making 50k before they bumped him to 60k with a title change when I was promoted with a salary bump equal to his entire salary. So that makes me think he started at 40k.

I haven’t had to fire anyone yet so this poo poo is by far the worst part of the job.

I’ve been here 6 years at this point and we always give the usual 3% COL raise along with an annual bonus, and when I’ve brought it up before I’ve been given serious raises (15k for asking and then 50k with an offer letter in hand) so it’s not like they won’t spend money to retain people.

I just feel like most of my team should at least be pulling in 10k more each for their talent and there probably isn’t much I can do until they come to me with an offer from another company, or yearly review time.

poo poo sucks.

Anyone have any recommendations on reading for ‘management’ in general? I try to be hands off unless something serious is going on or I get another manager CCing up the chain about an unresolved issue.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Apparently Fastly expoloded last night, good morning everyone. AWS still appears to be down

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsOps/status/1309305492628365313

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

So when I started as manager of the tech support team I had the pleasure of finding out everyone on my teams salary. Our most senior (1.5 years on the team) was hired at 40k, so with the 3% COL he got last year was still under 45k. He jumped ship for an MSP a little bit ago at what I assume was a pretty good pay bump.

We’ve since hired one other person at 45k (just before I started) who at this point I would place as the senior on the team as far as troubleshooting and general enthusiasm goes. And another at 50k and another at 45k. I am given pay ranges for hires and I just default to the highest end because why the hell not, it’s not my money.

I also found out my coworker sysadmin (who’s been here slightly longer than me, was originally hired as tech support and promoted to sysadmin) was making 50k before they bumped him to 60k with a title change when I was promoted with a salary bump equal to his entire salary. So that makes me think he started at 40k.

I haven’t had to fire anyone yet so this poo poo is by far the worst part of the job.

I’ve been here 6 years at this point and we always give the usual 3% COL raise along with an annual bonus, and when I’ve brought it up before I’ve been given serious raises (15k for asking and then 50k with an offer letter in hand) so it’s not like they won’t spend money to retain people.

I just feel like most of my team should at least be pulling in 10k more each for their talent and there probably isn’t much I can do until they come to me with an offer from another company, or yearly review time.

poo poo sucks.

Anyone have any recommendations on reading for ‘management’ in general? I try to be hands off unless something serious is going on or I get another manager CCing up the chain about an unresolved issue.

I really like "The Mission, The Men, and Me" as a general go to on how to be a good leader.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I really like Rands' stuff https://randsinrepose.com/

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Im hoping this other job comes in or they go up to 65 thousand which would make this almost a no brainer. This MSP is reviewing pretty well on glass door and elsewhere and they're a certified B Corp with pretty good vibes, I've been in call center hell before nothing can hurt me anymore. 65k exempt postion and no schedule in the offer letter :ohno:

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

LionYeti posted:

I've been in call center hell before nothing can hurt me anymore.

I mean, I would not tempt the fates, but you do you