Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Going by the initial post, it seems like he accidentally gave permissions to whatever the person sent him that wouldn't have helped on any new device if said permissions were granted on it as well..

I interpreted it as the catfisher sent OP a malicious image exploit like this one from 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

blunt posted:

I interpreted it as the catfisher sent OP a malicious image exploit like this one from 2019

This

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

June Pixel feature drop.

https://youtu.be/VDz1uX-ueLs

Time lapse astrophotography, private photo folders are the big ones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Time to hide all my nudes from goog

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My wife dropped her pixel 3 and it works fine but the back glass including rear camera lens are cracked. I bought $90 worth of spudgers, tape, camera lens, rear glass for repairing it and watched a video, but lol I am poo poo at this stuff. I just figure it's better to try and fail than shell out 700 dollars for the newest pixel. The fix DOES look fairly simple, but a bit time consuming.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You do know that ubreakifix will do back housing on the Pixel 3 for $119 right?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

And once you're getting to spending $100+ on a couple year old phone, probably better to try to find a deal on a 4a if money is tight

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

no I don't know that. I suppose I do now. I wonder if she can cancel her ifixit order.

edit: 15 minutes too late to cancel!

sourdough posted:

And once you're getting to spending $100+ on a couple year old phone, probably better to try to find a deal on a 4a if money is tight

I figure it's worth fixing the phone since it still works fine apart from some glass damage.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 7, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, Pixels have official repair support through ubreakifix across all models.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
We're just going to send the ifixit stuff back and get the phone repaired tomorrow, since it looks like there are 3 of those shops very close by. Super convenient! Thanks everyone.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redreader posted:

We're just going to send the ifixit stuff back and get the phone repaired tomorrow, since it looks like there are 3 of those shops very close by. Super convenient! Thanks everyone.

Get a new battery tossed in while you're at it!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Good idea on the battery. And Ifixit said they'd just cancel the order, so that's great. The repair shop said to bring the phone in, then they'd order the parts which would take 3-5 days, then we'd bring it in again for the actual repair.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Morter posted:

I'm looking for a simple music player with shuffle. I had Phonograph but that's apparently been abandoned and i'm having trouble simply importing stuff from my download folder into my 'every song i have' playlist.

I tried AIMP and while it is robust, it is missing simple things like a loving 'undo' button or a way to restart the shuffled playlist, apparently? And if either of these things are wrong, it demonstrates how poor it is at communicating such things.

So, anything similar to phonograph where I can just plop my local music files into a playlist and shuffle em? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Try out Poweramp. I found it's UI straightforward without being feeling dumbed down.
If you have Mediamonkey on your Desktop, you can try out the Mediamonkey app, which will let you stream music from the desktop to phone. It's crashed on me on numerous occasions so I wouldn't rely on that one too much.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who isn't regularly taking photos of my dong.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who isn't regularly taking photos of my dong.

Who else is taking pictures of your dong?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Well, stop leaving your dong out for public display then. :colbert:

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
edit

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

blunt posted:

Who else is taking pictures of your dong?
They said they were scientists.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
lets make fun of the fact that the guy ended up texting random people with my last name in my area code (Im not related to). and also ended up texting some random doctor.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Did any of them like your pics

e: did the doctor diagnose anything?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone brought me an android tablet they couldn't get online with, I figured it was something dumb. Its a loving proscan, 4.0.1 that walmart sold them this past christmas. gently caress the world

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Skarsnik posted:

e: did the doctor diagnose anything?

Look at this man. He clearly fucks.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 8, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

So did you have random strangers with your name in your phone book or did he just start throwing your zip code into whitepages.com ?

coke
Jul 12, 2009

codo27 posted:

Someone brought me an android tablet they couldn't get online with, I figured it was something dumb. Its a loving proscan, 4.0.1 that walmart sold them this past christmas. gently caress the world

why didn't it work for just browsing the interweb?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

blunt posted:

So did you have random strangers with your name in your phone book or did he just start throwing your zip code into whitepages.com ?

He clearly was able to find my First and Last name, along with where I lived. He was able to locate my dad's number, but everyone else looked like he was doing a crap shoot - people with my last name in my area, but not at all related. It makes me think he got my location and name, and ran a quick google search to try and find relatives.

Also nothing's worse than being blue balled like this, then knowing you have to finish the business. :byodood:

zaepg fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 8, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

coke posted:

why didn't it work for just browsing the interweb?

Gonna guess TLS.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

codo27 posted:

My sister got my niece a low-end Fire tablet that Best Buy told her was the latest and greatest. My niece even noticed it wasn't very fast. My sister's response of "I know but I can't get another one right now, we'll do better next time." just honestly kind of made me depressed that people will take advantage of others like that.

She apparently found out when she had gotten it but couldn't take it back because I guess he gave her a deal or something, not sure. Maybe was on sale.

This is why I just gave my mother my barely used iPad 10.2 2020 and just gave her my Pixel 4 XL so she doesn't have to waste money on people wanting commission because they can sell some cheap poo poo Android device instead of telling them WHY it's better to spend at least $300 if possible instead of $100 or less.

To me, this is the worst part of Android.

EDIT: When I worked for HSN, I would regularly take time to explain WHY that Samsung phone or iPad was garbage. I made them tons of sales on the most recent Samsung / iPad that way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm still annoyed that there's no decent 8"-9" options and yes, I'm including apple in that (dated design, lightning port.)

I just want a 1440p OLED, 90+hz, USB-c, and a 700 or 800 series snapdragon.

Samsung has the Tab S7 Lite coming, but it's 720 LCD with a quad core mediatek chip and no biometrics.

Right now, if you want a nice cheap 10" Android tablet, buy a Lenovo Chromebook Duet. It will be supported far longer and Android apps run just fine on it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I can't imagine buying a mobile OS tablet. But then I'd take Windows exactly as it is on a phone if I could get it

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

All right kids. Is there any way to brute force my way into a P3XL that the screen has gone completely dead on?

It responds to touch inputs (my kid was able to accidentally hit the emergency call button. The dispatcher was very understanding) and the power button, but I'm not sure how to get into an ADB shell with it so I can pull of whatever he needs an/or wipe it.

I have the android platform tools, so I could probably fastboot it into recovery maybe?

He's got a screen lock, but it's fingerprinted, so he should be able to unlock it if necessary.

Edit: He was able to unlock it, and it shows up in Windows, but the folder shows up empty. It also showed up as an MTP device for a moment, but Windows photos couldn't access it for import. I'm guessing developer options were never turned on, as adb devices never shows anything

Edit 2: gently caress it. We just wiped it from Find My Device.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 8, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a thread to ask about the Chromecast?

I basically just want to ask if the Chromecast apps are pre-installed or do I get them from the general Android play store or maybe there's a special Chromecast play store? I just want to see what apps are available for the Chromecast in Malaysia. Disney+ just came out here but it's a some special Hotstar version which apparently is separate from the normal worldwide Disney+ app and I want to check if it's supported before I drop money on the latest Chromecast.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
There are two types of Chromecast. The "old" Chromecast which does not use any Apps by itself. You just cast to it from the Apps on your phone.

The other type is the "Chromecast with Google TV" which is an Android TV device. You install Apps from the Play Store. Theoretically its the same Play Store the phones use but Apps that don't support Android TV won't show up if you access the store on the Chromecast.
You can however sideload Apps onto that Chromecast. I have no idea if you could sideload the regular Disney+ App or if there are other region locks in place to prevent that.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Chromecast With Google TV uses a subset of the Android TV apps - for example in the UK Channel 4 has an Android TV app that isn't available on Chromecast w/ Google TV.

As far as I've been able to work out there isn't a way to just browse a list of all the available apps - the on-device app store is just a scrolling list (filtered by some categories) that doesn't contain all of the apps that work on the device, and the play store website lists everything that might work on any Android device with you having to click through to individual apps to see if they support the CCwGTV.

It's incredibly frustrating because the actual device is really good.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You can open a "bigger" version of the Play Store by just using the voice command "play store". Its got more options and presumably more apps than the "Apps" Tab on the main menu.

If an app is available for Android TV and you can't just install it from the store you should look into sideloading.

This is a pretty good guide for that stuff:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/07/how-to-sideload-any-apk-on-the-chromecast-with-android-tv/

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Alright, thanks for the info everyone! I'll look up Disney+ Hotstar on the Play Store on my phone and see if I can make sense of it then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

blunt posted:

The Chromecast With Google TV uses a subset of the Android TV apps - for example in the UK Channel 4 has an Android TV app that isn't available on Chromecast w/ Google TV.
I think this is true of most any Android TV device. My Sony TV has Android TV and there's definitely TV apps it simply won't let me install. It's on the app developer to flag devices that can use it, but it's pretty bad if they're not flagging Google's first-party device.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

Is there a thread to ask about the Chromecast?

I basically just want to ask if the Chromecast apps are pre-installed or do I get them from the general Android play store or maybe there's a special Chromecast play store? I just want to see what apps are available for the Chromecast in Malaysia. Disney+ just came out here but it's a some special Hotstar version which apparently is separate from the normal worldwide Disney+ app and I want to check if it's supported before I drop money on the latest Chromecast.

https://soyacincau.com/2021/06/01/disney-plus-hotstar-malaysia-how-to-sign-up-watch-start-streaming-guide/

This google search result indicates it should work.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Artelier posted:

Disney+ Hotstar

I read this as Disney+ Homestar and got really really scared :ohdear:

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Well I've narrowed it down to who it was who attempted to blackmail me and texted my dad pictures of my dong.

It's been three days now, and I've tried to sweep this dumb poo poo aside, but it's not going away easily with time.
He works about three miles from where I live and is a doctor, who likely earns gently caress ton of money.
He is in a position of power.
This guy has a home, a wife, ect.
At this point I don't give a gently caress about a picture of my dick on the internet. I want to confront him personally and make public to his coworkers that he is a doctor who catfishes and blackmails people in his local area at 4am in the morning, and has likely done this on a reoccurring basis for quite sometime.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Morter posted:

I read this as Disney+ Homestar and got really really scared :ohdear:

As long as there's Strongbad, I'm in.