Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

Wow the HR manager at my partner's work just sent her a calendar invite titled Exit Interview. That sure is one way to break the news to your staff.

Jeez, a coworker I worked with at my last place got similar treatment. Got invited to a meeting with our boss and they’d left the reply chain leading up to that rather than starting a new one for that meeting suggestion.

It had stuff like “I don’t care how you do it, I want him gone by the end of this month” and poo poo like that. So he quickly knew this was not a good meeting or even a potentially salvageable situation. They were poo poo anyway and he’s gone on to something better as well so eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Seems like a situation they could salvage some money from.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Do you think Britain is irredeemably evil?

Yes
No
I'm English.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Do you think Britain is irredeemably evil?

Yes
No
I'm English.

*those who select the third option will be arrested and thrown in jail

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so Boris doesn’t think that people should be harshly punished for having said racist things in the past

I can’t imagine why

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The difference between Ollie Robinson and Boris Johnson is that one of them actually apologized and got less lovely opinions, whereas Boris would never do either.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCkShFVsc4M

What's with this 'don't take the knee' thing, have I missed something?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Love it when TBEU leaks into reality

politics 4 all is a painfully unfunny "satire" account that is probably just trying to hitch itself on the TBEU to be associated with something entertaining

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCkShFVsc4M

What's with this 'don't take the knee' thing, have I missed something?

Footballers have been "taking the knee" since it returned last year, as soon as fans got back into the stadiums they've been booing it as a criticism of marxism, or something.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

politics 4 all is a painfully unfunny "satire" account that is probably just trying to hitch itself on the TBEU to be associated with something entertaining
why would you want to hitch yourself to the tonty blair european union

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Heads up, the vaccine website seems to be allowing under 30s to book. My gf just managed to get an appointment this week!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When it's extended to under 16s Rod Liddle will be able to say the same thing.

Because he is a nonce, you see.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

why would you want to hitch yourself to the tonty blair european union

trying to get that andrew adonis certificate of approval

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Sat waiting for my second AZ now. Pretty buzzing tbh.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Just watched a royal mail guy drop a "missed you" note through the door while sitting about 2 meters away from the door, never bothered to knock or ring the doorbell (or my number for that matter). By the time I got out of chair and opened the door he was already driving away.

Look I know they are busy but that kinda pissed me off tbh.

On a positive note I'm booked for vaccine on the 12th, yay and all that. Hoping I get pfizer.

e: Looks like they're only doing AZ. Ah well, it'll probably be fine.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 7, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
David Davis trending :ohdear:

But it looks as if he's used one of his two correct opinions per year tokens :toot:

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1401801832687669248

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Welp the Speaker says no MPs don't get to vote on an amendment keeping foreign aid at 0.7%. He really thinks there should be a vote though!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Love it when TBEU leaks into reality

Is that "Politics4Ali" account "reality"? Seems it's been followed by loads of people and masquerades as legit news, but regularly just posts total bullshit without any proper source?

Maybe thats_the_joke.gif but I think a lot of people seem to think it's a legitimate news source.

E:F;B.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 7, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It would probably be a less broken way of selecting people to get into the House of Lords than the current one. For political balance though half of the intake are selected from the people with the lowest incomes in the country.

Finally, some people would get a House

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

sonia sodha wrote a piece about how calling them bigots hurts their feelings
This sent me on a hell of a journey, because it opened with

quote:

It was never going to be an ideal Pride month for Stonewall. The protests and parades, with their joyous celebrations and flags are, by necessity, on hold until later in the year. But how did it happen that its chief executive, Nancy Kelley, came under fire last week for likening a strand of feminism to antisemitism?

We all know which 'strand of feminism', but who is comparing it to antisemitism and why? According to the BBC

quote:

Challenged as to whether it might be considered offensive to compare anti-Semitic beliefs to gender-critical views, she insisted it was appropriate.
('Challenged' by Matthew Parris in the Times going on about how it's quite a bit better to be a gay man nowadays so we shouldn't concern ourselves with anyone else, fygm.)

So why were Stonewall making the comparison in the first place? People have in the past brought up the connection between transmisogyny and antisemitism in Nazi foundations, but I don't think it's that. I do think that whoever made those statements for Stonewall would likely be aware of this recent piece on the links between the two though, which shows that the people involved not only use the same arguments but also attend the same events and follow the same conspiracy thinking.

Which in turn gets you (thumbnailing stupid terf bullshit)

I... what?

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1366489983574413317
(thread)

gently caress me, there really is like half a dozen serious weirdoes right at the eye of the whole thing. When I said earlier that JKR's rant had the exact same cadence and context as any other conspiracy rant, I was thinking that it said something about the underlying mental attitude towards fact and reality, not that they're all literally going around syncretizing each others' poo poo. This is Alex Jones, Icke, and Randy Weaver all ending up at that small church in Waco levels, and it's very bad that none of the British press except maybe PinkNews even wants to start addressing that, they'd rather poke it or encourage 'compromise'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yet again the right being anti-Semitic and turning to us and calling us the Nazis b/c Jomory Cobbin two genders

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
On that topic, the E&W Greens can continue to gently caress themselves https://twitter.com/GreenLee_Anne/status/1401892793342103556?s=09

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
its the matrix preconditioning us all into getting ready to get into the matrix? Is that the gist of it?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Well folks I had my jab yesterday afternoon and it seems I’ve rolled a 2. Got sent home from work this morning and have spent the vast majority of today passed out on the sofa. Probably won’t be in tomorrow.

As it happens I’m 33 and got given Pfizer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

its the matrix preconditioning us all into getting ready to get into the matrix? Is that the gist of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5IYT9FdTRk
but with a Guardian column.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

mfcrocker posted:

On that topic, the E&W Greens can continue to gently caress themselves https://twitter.com/GreenLee_Anne/status/1401892793342103556?s=09

What'd he do? I've actually had to have contact with him in the past and google doesn't bring up much.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Reality is chaotic, arbitrarily unfair, and frequently mean to me on twitter.

The universe couldn't possibly be a rudderless eternal battle between entropy and chaos, because that would be terrifying.

Therefore, this is definitely a simulation, and my blue tick means the AIs are moving me to a deluxe amniotic pod as we speak.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Miftan posted:

What'd he do? I've actually had to have contact with him in the past and google doesn't bring up much.
Here's a Twitter thread of his that I found linked in this article, here's an even worse (e: possibly, imo, actions/words & all) one.

Dude looks loving rabid.

e2: wtf the app hosed up all my bbcode & made the tweets imbed, posting :nws: might fix it

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 7, 2021

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Tory mp on c4 news tonight saying he supported footy fans booing the knee because BLM openly admit to wanting to destroy capitalism?

While this is obviously a noble endeavour, Im pretty sure it's also not true.

Really awesome how the government are really ramping up the culture war stuff with this plus criticising that (possibly formerly) racist cricketer getting suspended.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
From the same account, a list of 'gender critical' persons and orgs that have bought way in to Bilek's dangerously stupid AS conspiracy BS. Spoiler: It's all of them.
https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1399849561301131265

Except for Jane Clare Jones, who apparently doesn't like Bilek, but clearly has familiarity with her work and that of the other (gay frogs) Jones.

Bilek cribbed off of Icke with the holographic universe/secret rulers poo poo, Icke in turn cribbed off of her and now believes (or believed at one point, apparently) that trans people control the lizards who control the secret societies who control the world, and there's another commonality in that both used to be members of various Green parties.

This is something of a scales falling from the eyes moment, I knew that the relationship to factual reality and much of the writing style was the same between the conspiracy movement and gender critical, but I thought (ironically) it'd be needlessly conspriatorial to start drawing lines all over the place.

I guess the pandemic really brought all this out into the open for medical conspiracy theory reasons, mass social uncertainty, and good old fashioned Crank magnetism, but I didn't expect quite such a close line of events from the 90s UFO craze and militia black helicopters to terfy British columnists.

Piers Corbyn thankfully seems not to have waded in.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

(gay frogs) Jones.

Please, do not deadname Geronimo Frost.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Borrovan posted:

Here's a Twitter thread of his that I found linked in this article, here's an even worse (e: possibly, imo, actions/words & all) one.

Dude looks loving rabid.

e2: wtf the app hosed up all my bbcode & made the tweets imbed, posting :nws: might fix it

Cheers. It doesn't surprise me that he's a poo poo given what I know of his academic opinions but man, what a poo poo.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tried to do that thing people recommended of cancelling my second vaccination to get the date moved forward. Cancelled my appointment on July 31st and got offered... July 30th. Took July 31st again anyway at the same time as before because it’s a weekend.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/gavinmuellerphd/status/1401495962313502728

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Noxville posted:

Tried to do that thing people recommended of cancelling my second vaccination to get the date moved forward. Cancelled my appointment on July 31st and got offered... July 30th. Took July 31st again anyway at the same time as before because it’s a weekend.

I tried it as well and got five days later than my original appointment, so I'd honestly just take the date you get and not bother trying to change it.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1401992467017252865?s=21

Even compared to the company she keeps, Priti Patel really is spectacularly vile

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Juche Couture posted:

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1401992467017252865?s=21

Even compared to the company she keeps, Priti Patel really is spectacularly vile

If it's any consolation, her vindictiveness' may come back to bite her. Again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/extinction-rebellion-protest-priti-patel-printworks-b1861106.html

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

It won’t make much difference, sadly, other than perhaps result in acquittals. She would have made a splendid Nazi.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1401954294283259910

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

therattle posted:

It won’t make much difference, sadly, other than perhaps result in acquittals. She would have made a splendid Nazi.

While it won't harm her career, there is a certain satisfaction to be gained from watching people be aquited because she couldn't keep her mouth shut.

Like the time that marine got a reduced sentence for deserting because Trump said he should have been shot and the judge said he had to push back against that.