Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lurikeenrock posted:

do i miss out much in using a 3.0 riser over a 4.0?
Can someone recommend me one that is well priced and not crap? Just the cable, not a whole mounting kit.

Performance wise there's really nothing in it, but if you use a 3.0 riser to join a 4.0 card to a 4.0 motherboard it can cause stability issues if they negotiate a 4.0 connection

You can work around it by going into the BIOS and forcing the link speed to 3.0 before installing the card but that's a hassle if you don't have an iGPU or another card to use temporarily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

repiv posted:

Performance wise there's really nothing in it, but if you use a 3.0 riser to join a 4.0 card to a 4.0 motherboard it can cause stability issues if they negotiate a 4.0 connection

You can work around it by going into the BIOS and forcing the link speed to 3.0 before installing the card but that's a hassle if you don't have an iGPU or another card to use temporarily

cool I assumed as much, I can do the bios stuff no problem.
Who makes the good riser cables

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I really wish Lian Li would make a white metal version of their vertical bracket with a 4.0 cable even though I'm still using a Z390. It'd be nice to 1) have the option to vertically mount, and 2) have an upgraded cable for when I move to a PCIe 4.0 (or even 5.0) board.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lurikeenrock posted:

cool I assumed as much, I can do the bios stuff no problem.
Who makes the good riser cables

These are a bit pricey but I have one and it works perfectly on 4.0, they validate them on real GPUs:

https://www.amazon.com/LINKUP-RX6900XT-High-Speed-Gen4%E2%94%83Universal-Compatible/dp/B08XN26DRZ/

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I used to use https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/accessories/riser-cable-pcie-30-x16-ver-2-300mm/ on a 4x 1080 Ti setup

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Bundling might be getting a bit out of hand

I'm sure these will all go to people who want to do hardware transcoding in Plex on the APU while someone else does games on the GPU.

(I had to google the former to see if it was even possible but it looks like the answer is yes.)

Buy a card to scalp, end up with a free computer, is that the idea here? Does HP just not understand their own SKUs? :confused:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 7, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I bought a 2060 Super because I saw one in stock. I'm free.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

I bought a 2060 Super because I saw one in stock. I'm free.

Aren't they all like 600 quid though?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

freedom is priceless

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Lots of the little one-shop computer stores have stock, the prices are bad though.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Where's our goddamn arr-tee-eks 3050, nvidia?!

No, it’s definitely pronounced as
because it makes you sad if you don’t have one.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The 3050 and 3050 ti are already in laptops, who knows if they'll bring the SKU to desktops

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Overclockers in the UK now straight up telling people 'cancel your 3080 preorder and get your money back, it is mathematically impossible for us to satisfy the queue before the point in 2022 where the product will become EOL.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hardware Unboxed did a retrospective on the RX 580 and found that it still delivers a perfectly fine 1080p experience on most games... except Cyberpunk 2077

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
You know, the game that's a dumpsterfire of poor optimization and rushed coding decisions.

Big shocker it's not running well on gpus where the overhead from the hardware won't make up for the rushed sloppy coding.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hardware Unboxed did a retrospective on the RX 580 and found that it still delivers a perfectly fine 1080p experience on most games... except Cyberpunk 2077

Yeah I wanted to wait for a better card, but played Control on mine a few months ago.
It does fine even undervolted and with a -30% power limit.
Hopefully I can afford a replacement when Cyberpunk Ultimate Edition goes on deep sale in 2 years or so.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

change my name posted:

The 3050 and 3050 ti are already in laptops, who knows if they'll bring the SKU to desktops

I never understood the product stacks & why there are so loving many types of cards, it's getting crazy. Like, what ever happened to having 3-4 cards in a lineup that went from low end up to enthusiast?

Personally I think that any time Nvidia or AMD change a series name/number, just stop being weird with the naming. Wouldn't be hard to have a lineup where the 3090 is top dog, then 3080, -70, -60, -50, -40 with maybe the 3040-50 being low profile or laptop SKUs while the rest are nice bumps in performance or amounts of memory. Even looking at things now, most of the Ti cards are close enough in performance to the next model up that it's pointless to buy unless there's a significant price difference making it a better deal.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
The Ti cards exist so they can rectify their mistake of releasing the original cards at too low of an MSRP

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I got selected for the Newegg shuffle but gently caress paying nearly ~$1700 for a 6800 and a 590 Aorus Ultra

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah the Ti cards make sense from a manufacturing standpoint (use more of a lower-tier die as the product matures and you're certain about yields) and from a marketing standpoint (new products and new prices to optimize revenue). Also, the idea that you could satisfy the market with only 3-4 SKUs is ridiculous.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The more cards they can muddy the waters with the easier it is to fleece confused buyers

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Overclockers in the UK now straight up telling people 'cancel your 3080 preorder and get your money back, it is mathematically impossible for us to satisfy the queue before the point in 2022 where the product will become EOL.

EOL because they'll be making the next gen of cards or EOL because they're going to stop making the 3080 non-Ti and only sell the super expensive Ti version instead?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

EOL because they'll be making the next gen of cards or EOL because they're going to stop making the 3080 non-Ti and only sell the super expensive Ti version instead?

The former (although the latter plays into the calculation). Around 800-1000 people in the queue, they're now hoping to get at most 250 units in the rest of the year, the math says they won't have fulfilled orders by Q4 2022 (which is when we would reasonably expect to see the next gen come out).

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
prices seem to be going up not down after the 3080ti launch. Is supply getting worse?
The 3060s that were selling for 900 a month ago are now 1100
3080s went from 2k to 2.4k
The only ones that didnt go up are AMD but you still gotta pay hundreds over retail pricing

I thought mining was heavily down, who is buying them at these prices?

Lurikeenrock fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 7, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I never understood the product stacks & why there are so loving many types of cards, it's getting crazy. Like, what ever happened to having 3-4 cards in a lineup that went from low end up to enthusiast?

They make more money by offering more products at different price points, even if the stratification is small. It also allows them to maximize the amount of performance they can squeeze from imperfect dies, but the vast majority of dies are purposefully crippled to maximize the margin/sales volume balance. The names don't mean anything, and never really have.

It is similar to why the Toyota will sell you twelve (12) different Camry models. It helps if you don't think of these products as engineering exercises with names that mean anything and are worth remembering and instead treat them as what they are: consumer products.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Godspeed to the guy in front of me at the gym trying to buy a 3080 on his phone while doing leg presses

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lurikeenrock posted:

I thought mining was heavily down, who is buying them at these prices?

1) mining is still profitable, just not as profitable. as long as you can make a dollar a day there will be an endless supply of morons who think it's fReE MoNeY!! even though it will take three years just to pay for the card.

2) scalpers are still buying them purely because they're scarce and can be scalped to make money. that will continue regardless of the crypto situation until there is no longer scarcity.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Oh hey day like 60 of not winning the shuffle. Lmao.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

change my name posted:

Godspeed to the guy in front of me at the gym trying to buy a 3080 on his phone while doing leg presses

if he succeeds it will be the final nail in the coffin that gamers are the most oppressed group in the world and chads have it all.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
unless he is a chad gamer. which is epic.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Smythe posted:

unless he is a chad gamer. which is epic.

He was ripped as gently caress

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i hope he gets one

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

change my name posted:

did he get the card bro?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i hope he gets one

i dont. YOSPOS BITCH

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
More power to him. Cards for everyone.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

change my name posted:

If you see him trying again ask him for a pic while he's "working". Chad-"Thunder-Thighs"-gamer would probably enjoy making the pose.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 8, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

nnnotime posted:

If you see him trying again ask him for a pic while he's "working". Chad-"Thunder-Thighs"-gamer would probably enjoy making the pose.

I don't need to see buff gym rats doing the Nazi salute.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I've been moved along to step 2/5 of the step up process, does anyone have recent experience on how long it takes them to check over an invoice?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It took them less than a day for me. I've heard others take a few days. Shouldn't be long, I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

stump collector posted:

I've been moved along to step 2/5 of the step up process, does anyone have recent experience on how long it takes them to check over an invoice?

people itt have said maybe two or three days.

Do you mind sharing what card you put in for and when you signed up? Looking to see where they're in for the queue.