Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oriongates posted:

No, this is the book that they bought back in Mongreltown. It was briefly in limbo after snout got punched and Ink Witch and Arudak vanished with Redactor and Mhorg, but it turned out it was never taken or anything, because Redactor showing up had basically no actual consequences.

The book that Snout has actually been looking for is Dominic Deegan's Intro to Lucid Dreaming...despite this book being exactly the topic they're looking into, it wasn't written by Deegan so it can't be special.

Also not only did the bad guys not hurt them, but they didn't even take the book. So literally all they accomplished was making the good guys travel some unspecified distance away and ditch Snout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Also we've already seen the contents of this book, and not only is it full of transparently redundant magic babble but it's magic babble Snout doesn't even try to understand.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

That's not even the book he came looking for for gently caress's sake. He's supposed to be looking for the book authored by Dominic. This is just another random book they found instead of the right book in mongrel town.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Finally caught up to this thread. I want to say it's been a wild ride, but that would imply anything had actually happened.

On Beelzebufo's readthrough: Seeing these updates really drives home the fact that Mookie's views hasn't changed a single bit over the past two decades: Women's feelings don't matter when there's a Mookie in need of comforting. The writing when it comes to a person with disability is still ableist as gently caress. And while Mookie still makes characters use slurs as a lazy shortcut to paint them as a bad guy, you can tell he relishes in using/coming up with slurs.

The only thing missing in Legacy is the slutshaming, though I suppose Redactrix having a sexier design compared to Ink Witch's occasionally-form-fitting burlap sack counts.

On Legacy: Something that's gross in this current "storyline" is that both POC characters didn't do anything of note whatsoever. There's no focus on Corpsemomwife recovering from the trauma of having the vine yanked through her mouth, despite it being a pressing issue. Hell, Mookie practically said that she's better off dead if it meant preserving Snout's fragile little ego.

Meanwhile, Theolonius was one of the people Arudak called in to help and he didn't do a single thing during that time. Sunflower's the one who pulled out the vine, Daxathar wrote mean things about Snout, and Ink Witch and Arudak were the ones to take care of Corpsemomwife. Theolonius might as well have been a sexy lamp and it would've changed nothing.

It's just hard not to read into it, what with marginalizing them in favor of focusing how sad Snout is and how everyone just has to comfort him.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

oriongates posted:

No, this is the book that they bought back in Mongreltown. It was briefly in limbo after snout got punched and Ink Witch and Arudak vanished with Redactor and Mhorg, but it turned out it was never taken or anything, because Redactor showing up had basically no actual consequences.

The book that Snout has actually been looking for is Dominic Deegan's Intro to Lucid Dreaming...despite this book being exactly the topic they're looking into, it wasn't written by Deegan so it can't be special.

You're absolutely right and that's my bad. That said, you can probably understand why I would make that mistake.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 7, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

a) Snout should be softer, nicer, and have access to a pen and paper
b) whenever Snout is on screen, all the other characters should be writing "Snout, you're such a nice soft boy"

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I say it's at least even money that Mookie honestly forgets Corpse Wife exists until he wants to draw boobies

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I feel like, similar a lot of things in Legacy, Mookie's probly gotten bored of corpsemomwife. Her sole purpose was to be naked and rubbing on Snout, but now that inkmomwife is back in the picture we get a very hasty conclusion to the corpse arc that immediately shifts to being all about Snout. Only reason she didn't completely disappear is it would've been hard to ignore.

Also didn't notice that we're at the start of a new arc!

ok :geno:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Dear loving god...is this going to be a chapter all about getting a new library card for the Maltek library?

That said, I will be impressed if they remember that Thelonious never gave Snout his library card/disability notification back. Although it would mean that would make his sole contribution to the plot stealing something...

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

oriongates posted:

Dear loving god...is this going to be a chapter all about getting a new library card for the Maltek library?

That said, I will be impressed if they remember that Thelonious never gave Snout his library card/disability notification back. Although it would mean that would make his sole contribution to the plot stealing something...

Considering how tone-deaf Mookie was at handling Corpsemomwife, I wouldn't be surprised if he also didn't think of the ramifications of Theolonius doing that.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
It's so lovely that Snout didn't even bother to have a chat with Corpsemomwife or like, even check in to see if she's alright.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

oriongates posted:

It's like it's a series composed entirely of the scenes that got deleted to improve the pacing of a different series.

Like I've never watched the deleted scenes from Lord of the Rings films, but if there was one where like, I dunno, after everyone meets at Rivendell and they decide to destroy the Ring in Mount Doom, and then Boromir is like hang on, I gotta take a leak before we leave, and then there's five minutes of Viggo Mortensen tapping his foot impatiently and then Boromir comes back and says thanks, let's go...and then you made a webcomic that was just that poo poo.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Chapter 51?
He's at chapter loving FIFTY-ONE!?!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Howard Beale posted:

Chapter 51?
It's numbered contiguously with Deegan classic. Legacy started at Chapter 46.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Oh good, so its only been 5 chapters of absolutely nothing happening

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Howard Beale posted:

Chapter 51?

As SubG said, but I also had the same reaction earlier. Then the realisation that there were 45 "chapters" of the original and the read-through was, at the time, on chapter 12, had me reeling in horror.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

GreenMetalSun posted:

It's so lovely that Snout didn't even bother to have a chat with Corpsemomwife or like, even check in to see if she's alright.

He's never had a conversation with her, come to think of it. Closest was Snout attempting to teach her to write letters.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

catlord posted:

As SubG said, but I also had the same reaction earlier. Then the realisation that there were 45 "chapters" of the original and the read-through was, at the time, on chapter 12, had me reeling in horror.

That's wonderful, we've so much left to enjoy together

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Chapter 52: The Clogged Toilet

The next slightly more exciting arc

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chapter 53: Where did I leave the WiFi password?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Chapter 18 Class Action: Part 3

Things start off strong with a joke straight out of an anime. I do find it funny that Runcible's magic was supposed to directly target his beard, so you can imagine it was minor change slipped in, whereas Cassafin's was presumably going to do some clothing alterations (?) to cover up her cleavage, but somehow she didn't notice that the spell was changed to a body modification spell.

Mookie must have been jerking off to watching some anime right before drawing these strips. Deflating Cassafin's boobs feels a little like a punishment, so I'm going to mark it down again as women being punished for sexyness.

I think it's worth noting here that I'm sort of on Nielen's side. He may be a smarmy douche, but he is in a work environement that is openly antagonistic. It's hard to see how he, specifically, is the bad guy here.

Don't worry though, Mookie will make it clear.

I'm going to call out that we haven't seen the Cassafin treats Nielen well. I feel like Mookie only inserted that line because people were probably on Nielen's side in the forums. This is stupid soap opera drama, but it's not entirely awful characterization for Nielen, as a prankster and a jokester. Except..

This is actually all a terrible ploy to lure Luna into bed! Nielen is a smarmy douche, but it's actually sort of hard to dislike him with the little bit of characterization we've seen of him so far. He's like a fun stock character in an ensemble cast, not necessarily a protagonist but someone that you keep around because he creates drama. But, Mookie's black-and-white morality is going to assert itself again, and wait till you see the punishment that this awful woman stealing Jock gets later on.

Not a terrible splash page, except for the fact that it really is just him physically smashing you in the face with the plot that was much better left implied by the last panel. Also, Mookie's dialogue when it comes to merging D&D with his nonsense plots it is always hilarious. I'll leave it to your imagination what Nielen could possibly mean by "all the joys of the elements". I don't know why Nielen would know that Dominic is toothless either.

Check out the perspective on the Nielen's legs too.

Once again Luna's fucks up and needs to feel sad about it. The attempt to compare to Dominic sort of fall flat because Dominic was a pimply faced teen at the time, though I do find it funny that this Dominic is identical to the one who appeared to be in University the last time there was a flashback, implying Dominic was asking his college professor to assign them homework. What a wiener.

This feels like a choice in a bioware videogame. Tradition versus innovation, but not too much! One wonders why the reader should even care who inherits the Magic University if they are so similar

Why would any of these people even apply? Are they teachers at the University? I know this is supposed be jokey but it's again very ham-handed, and makes no sense in the context of what Miranda is doing. It's like she put out an ad on Craigslist to be the headmaster of University.

Mookie endorses alcoholism as a response to depression.

Joking, but it is funny that this is Mookie's attempt to make Luna cooler and less of a wimp. First, terrible fantasy names for drinks. Second, who drink shots of brandy?

Also the wind is foreshadowing, for stupid!

But first, let's get into Melna's horrible relationship drama. This whole strip is gross, and ends in a gross joke. But yes, the reason why Melna is in love with her rapist is that she has horrific daddy issues, bordering on an Electra complex.

Way to go to the clichés Mookie. Still failing that that Bechdel test too.

Mookie sure does understand how women work. This is definitely a normal conversation for two coworkers to have.

This is actually a pretty well realized splash page. I'll give Mookie that.

Once again, it's great how the villains can always be just off panel and totally invisible because of it. But yes this is Nielen's big ploy, he's going to use his magic wind powers to doctor the equivalent of a recording, something only he can make, to convince Dominic that Luna is having a lesbian affair I guess?

Mookie also understands how drunk women talk, always wanting to go have sex with their boyfriends.

They're not feathers, they're just a plant that looks exactly like feathers! We get it Mookie, vegan Native Americans. As of picking up feathers off the ground would be that big a deal.

But it does look like there's a bit of ominous foreshadowing, could there be relationship drama the future for Luna and Dominic?

Of course not! Dominic is unconvinced! But wait maybe this second deception will be the one that works!

As an aside, I actually do agree with Dominic in this case that the incredible skeevyness of this dude doing a magical tape recording in a world where that technology is not commonplace would automatically throw a ton a red flag in terms of trusting them.

But a terrible joke but sort of in the vein of gay panic which I don't really like.

I like how Mookie can never build up to something. He'll waste time with jokey one-off strips, and pointless side conversations, but when the drama is set up it needs to pay off within one or two strips.

I love how transparent Nielen is being here. How stupid would Luna have to be to fall for him? Even soap operas are better written than this.

Of course, it didn't work, rendering all that build a pointless except as another exercise in showing just how lovey-dovey Luna and Dominic are. This is a point where you really realize that the relationship is just pure wish fulfilment on Mookie's part.

This I find it hilarious that Mookie thinks that this is a romantic thing for Dominic to do. He knows that Nielen is deliberately trying to deceive his girlfriend, not just by acting duty but by literally faking an audio recording. But because of the trust and the love, he doesn't tell her anything. This is supposed be evoking the idea of Dominic being secure enough in his relationship that he trusted her not to cheat without having to police her, but it comes up sort of differently when there such a knowing deception involved. Then it does feel like Dominic should say something to Luna to warn her about the fact that her coworkers is a psychopath.

Here comes the comeuppance train for poor Nielen. Here's the payoff to all that smarmy nonsense at the start of this arc about doing research to understand context. I call bullshit on Dominic noticing the smirk as a clue. That is just straight up nonsense. And I like how Dominic apparently can look up the weather from 20 years ago or whatever.

You can see the frameworks of a better mystery story in this. Dominic, gifted with a vision without context, does have to walk through all the steps to find out the truth. Except a) he does is entirely offscreen, and b) he knows exactly how to hone in on the specific information he needs with a laser focus greater than even the dumbest detective drama. None of this feels real because it's all just so explanations for how Dominic understood everything instantly.

See, it's literally a lesson for his students. we get it Mookie, Dominic is a great teacher.

Dominic does something incredibly unprofessional here and basically ruins Runcible's chances of becoming Headmaster.

thankfully Melna was just off panel, safely away from all the debris that runcible man when he smashes through the wall, but able to come in just in time to stop him from doing something bad.

See how stupid the conclusion is to this? Nielen can't even pull the old you can't prove a trope, to remain as an antagonist, the way he should have. Instead, just offscreen somehow the damning evidence was sitting there for someone to open. I guess that bottle just magically plays that doctored sound every time? Mookie is so eager for his villains to be punished that he doesn't give the narrative enough time to justify it.

I guess Melna had to set up already, and was just waiting to torture someone with it? Also flaming poo! Hahahahahahahaha Mookie, that's hilarious.

Now, if this were a sitcom, you'd think the episode would end here, maybe with a little ending stinger with the whole cast going all's well that ends well. Even now this does feel like a natural place to end this arc right? Well no this keeps going for a little while yet, and this is not the punishment that I was referring to at the start of this post.

Tune in next time kids....

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 9, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Nielen's plan is incredibly dumb, "I just happened to be hiding near your significant other with a magical recording device in my hand when they said something damning." At least in Homer Badman when Groundskeeper Willie just happened to be hiding in the bushes recording Homer it was done as a joke.

Do we ever find out why Nielen made Runcible's wife divorce him? Was it just so he could have sex with her?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nielen's plan is incredibly dumb, "I just happened to be hiding near your significant other with a magical recording device in my hand when they said something damning." At least in Homer Badman when Groundskeeper Willie just happened to be hiding in the bushes recording Homer it was done as a joke.

Do we ever find out why Nielen made Runcible's wife divorce him? Was it just so he could have sex with her?

I don't think it's explored any further. Given Mookie's misogyny, that's a plausible motivation. It could also be payback for how badly Runcible treats him regularly throwing fireballs at him and such. Unsurprisingly, there is no HR department at Miranda's school.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
loving lmao at the evil plot of this chapter being the 'ol doctored recording, a trope that's been a punchline long before Dominic Deegan. It's got this unintended effect of making Runcible and his wife look incredibly stupid for falling for it. A rando coming to your wife with an out of context message in a bottle was enough to tear your marriage apart? This marriage had deeper issues.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
yes hello here is the strip that lays out all the things I figured out there was no tension goodbye

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You know how a lot of children's shows in the 90s, like Reboot, often got told by S&P they weren't allowed to do cliffhanger endings because children couldn't handle the tension? That's Mookie.
Reboot was also told that only villainesses could be in any way sexual or have clear female anatomy, so the equivocation of female sexuality with evil is also Mookie.

Mookie is basically Standards and Practices.

Beelzebufo posted:

Chapter 18 Class Action: Part 3

Things start off strong with a joke straight out of an anime. I do find it funny that Runcible's magic was supposed to directly target his beard, so you can imagine it was minor change slipped in, whereas Cassafin's was presumably going to do some clothing alterations (?) to cover up her cleavage, but somehow she didn't notice that the spell was changed to a body modification spell.

I always interpreted it as more she was using magic to make her boobs bigger but felt like she may have gone a bit too far. I mean Mookie was obviously enjoying drawing it so it could just be him putting more effort than usual, but even before they get comically overlarge, Cassafin is looking a bit more busty than she usually is.

So I definitely chalk it up to being punished for trying to be sexy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You know how a lot of children's shows in the 90s, like Reboot, often got told by S&P they weren't allowed to do cliffhanger endings because children couldn't handle the tension? That's Mookie.

Okay I watched like five episodes of ReBoot but wasn't their an entire arc about the main character being lost in the internet and a timeskip of his kid/friend going to rescue him?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
That was later. After they had gotten away from ABC and their insane censors.
https://reboot.fandom.com/wiki/Broadcast_Standards_and_Practices
It's wild the poo poo Reboot had to deal with.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That was later. After they had gotten away from ABC and their insane censors.
https://reboot.fandom.com/wiki/Broadcast_Standards_and_Practices
It's wild the poo poo Reboot had to deal with.

Did they just hate fun and/or Canadians?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

maltesh posted:

He's never had a conversation with her, come to think of it. Closest was Snout attempting to teach her to write letters.

She still doesn't have a name.

Of course, Ink Witch is only referred to by her profession...so I guess her name will be Random Nudist?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Most of Mookie's tropes and 'ideas' come from the anime of the 90s and early aughts; do we know if he watches more modern fare? I'm particularly thinking of Goblin Slayer and a lot of Isekai that have their origins in 2chan VNs and other Dragon Quest inspired media where characters don't have names and are just referred to by their character class.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Most of Mookie's tropes and 'ideas' come from the anime of the 90s and early aughts; do we know if he watches more modern fare? I'm particularly thinking of Goblin Slayer and a lot of Isekai that have their origins in 2chan VNs and other Dragon Quest inspired media where characters don't have names and are just referred to by their character class.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as One of Luna's Sisters

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

That Time I Got Reincarnated as One of Luna's Sisters

The first isekai where the protagonist actually chooses NOT to be reincarnated.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Dragon Quest inspired media where characters don't have names and are just referred to by their character class.

Excuse me all of the party members in The Hero Yoshihiko had names.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Excuse me all of the party members in The Hero Yoshihiko had names.

Also, that show was too hilarious to be an inspiration for any of this.

If mookie were doing a "your class is your name" thing, I'd expect that the inspiration isn't modern manga, but rather 2000s-era webcomics like Adventure! and 8-bit Theater.

That said, I don't think that's what's happening. He's only doing it with Ink Witch and even by the awkward standards of "class as name", a title like Ink Witch is just too clumsy, even for him.

I think what's happening is a pretty basic set of sexist tropes that Mookie is drawing from without any self-examination. In other words: making a male character interesting means making them dangerous, making a female character interesting means making them mysterious. So, female characters are introduced with their identity and origin concealed. The more common version of this trope is opening some kind of sealed, preferably cryogenic, container and finding a naked girl in a fetal position inside (also known as reverse fridging).

The problem is that there's no such thing as a casual conversation in a 'dialogue free' comic and Mookie is incredibly bad at writing character interactions and so these characters remain nameless for long enough that he has to pretend that their namelessness is actually on purpose.

Honestly, he probably had every intention of giving Ink Witch a name the first time she and snout had their dumb Q&A session, but he forgot about it (since he doesn't pre-plan) and having Snout suddenly ask her name later would draw attention to the fact that he hadn't introduced them already (it's still not clear how Ink Witch learned Snout's name), so he was forced to just roll with it and keep calling her 'ink witch'.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The thing that gets me most about this arc is... Dominic's the world's greatest seer?? Why would there be any tension anyway, and why would elemental guy even think his plan would work

But then I vaguely remember that elemental guy's thing is he's dumb as rocks and an rear end in a top hat specifically because of his race and that's not cool

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

LIterally just Curious George now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why are they hugging. Why is snout just a complete anime now?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
How many times does she have to give him that...look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

That look makes me so uncomfortable and so many people give snout that look. It's like the look you'd give a Make a Wish child that doesn't know they're dying yet. And it's all over the comic.