Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I'm particularly fond of that issue of Sandman by Alpha Neil Gaiman where Dream wins the riddle contest in hell by putting out his cigar on the devil's face.

I really love that story arc where he single handedly takes down that drug cartel in Nicaragua.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HMS Beagle posted:

I really love that story arc where he single handedly takes down that drug cartel in Nicaragua.

"Do you mean Neil Gaiman or Dream?"

"Yes."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neil Gaiman: “Listen bud...”

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Neil Gaiman: “Listen budbub...”

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Was it Flaming Carrot that had that panel about the Neil Gaiman of Earth-2?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I love the part of Sandman where Dream sends a lady to hell for rejecting his advances and suffers no consequences for it.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Uthor posted:

I love the part of Sandman where Dream sends a lady to hell for rejecting his advances and suffers no consequences for it.

his sister called him a stupid bitch and he died though -_-

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I love the part in Sandman where a woman isn't allowed to participate because she happens to be trans, but it's okay because it's only the moon that's being transphobic and rejecting her.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alright that's enough Sandman talk. Move that elsewhere. Keep this thread on topic, which in a ideal world would mean no new posts ever but we know better than that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/pvponline/status/1402711240648974336

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Imagine being so broken that Scott loving Kurtz scores a clean blow on you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Imagine writing your own pull quote the only thing you can come up with is a factual description of the book.

"Endless Mike has many posts on the Something Awful Forums." - Endless Mike

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"A...Book" - NY Times

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I know it's EVS so the answer is almost certainly no but was the original Cyber-Frog from the 90s any good/ popular enough that non-GG would have been interested in buying an updated book?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

poly and open-minded posted:

I know it's EVS so the answer is almost certainly no but was the original Cyber-Frog from the 90s any good/ popular enough that non-GG would have been interested in buying an updated book?

I literally didn't know about it's existence until the relaunch, and I know about Gen 13 and Supreme.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I literally didn't know about it's existence until the relaunch, and I know about Gen 13 and Supreme.

Ah yes, obscure indie comic “Gen 13”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I own a copy of Cyberfrog: Reservior Frog #1 because Erik Larsen did the variant cover and I’m a huge mark for Larsen, but the book itself is pretty dire, and that’s not taking into account the uninspired subtitle.

The cover was done decades ago and Larsen wants nothing to do with Sciver or Comicsgate and I don’t blame him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Ah yes, obscure indie comic “Gen 13”

Supreme eventually had Alan Moore writing for it an you call me out about Gen 13?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Supreme eventually had Alan Moore writing for it an you call me out about Gen 13?

I distinctly remember Gen 13 being the thing Wizard was touting month in and month out during its run. Maybe they were pushing Supreme, too, but I don’t think it really got it really got its day in the sun until after it was done. Granted, I was exactly the right age to be into Gen 13 then, so I will accept that my recollection is fundamentally biased.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I distinctly remember Gen 13 being the thing Wizard was touting month in and month out during its run. Maybe they were pushing Supreme, too, but I don’t think it really got it really got its day in the sun until after it was done. Granted, I was exactly the right age to be into Gen 13 then, so I will accept that my recollection is fundamentally biased.

Yeah I only read it in trades much later.

I think we can both agree Cyberfrog was uniquely forgettable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, no argument there!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Gen 13 had an animated film. Not a very good one, but still. And as noted it was pushed heavily in comic media. The property was well known.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EVS himself in a rare moment of self awareness ran down the original Cyberfrog as a amateurish but I’m sure he doesn’t do it anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Gen 13 had an animated film. Not a very good one, but still. And as noted it was pushed heavily in comic media. The property was well known.

Okay fine, I also know about flaming carrot but didn't know about Cyberfrog until EVS tried to make it a thing again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It may be a footnote now but in terms of ranking the significance of properties:

Gen 13 was a Top 10 selling book for much of its first few years, sometimes taking up two Top 10 slots thanks to various mini-series/specials. They were popular enough to warrant a second anthology title (Gen 13 Bootleg) which had stories by a ton of people including Alan Davis, The Simonsons, Terry Moore, James Robinson & Scott Hampton, Mike Wieringo, Warren Ellis & Steve Dillon, etc. They had crossover one-shots/minis with Spider-Man and Superman, and were generally Wildstorm's top title for several years. All of this got burnt out quickly though a combination of being sort of of-the-moment (one of the main characters is named Grunge. GRUNGE) and a series of not particularly well conceived relaunch attempts once DC purchased Wildstorm. But in its prime it was a big book with spinoffs, action figures, t-shirts, and a direct to video animated film. It was a fad, but it was a big fad.

Supreme had its Alan Moore run, but at the end of the day it was a bad Superman pastiche for a few years, then became a good Superman pastiche under Alan Moore and a bric-a-brac of artists of wildly varying quality across like four publishers and never actually ended. It's relatively well known, but any details about SUPREME are really secondary to "Alan Moore" and "Superman".

But both books outsold (and had exponentially more issues) than Cyberfrog, which prior to the whole Comicsgate bullshit I frequently got mixed up with Creed. Which is my main point, for a few years Gen 13 was legitimately a phenomenon, and Cyberfrog was a weird self-published thing that got picked up by a flailing Harris Comics to prove they made more than Vampirella and HARSH REALM for a few issues.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Creed was the Capullo book with cool art right?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

Creed was the Capullo book with cool art right?
Creed was a book from Hall of Heroes, which seemed to be some weird company set up to 'publish' teenagers' self-published Image pastiche books for unclear marketing/svengali reasons. Its two "breakout" books were Cyberfrog (by EVS) and Creed (by Trent Kaniuga). When I initially looked up how Trent is doing I saw his bio said that he was a concept artist for Blizzard, and I thought "good for him!" Then I clicked through to his Twitter and saw that he no longer works for Blizzard, but he does offer art and digital coloring tutorials on Parler, and has reprinted Creed through EVS's 'publishing house', so I feel much less bad about confusing the two artists.

Greg Capullo's book was The Creech. Not to be confused with Phil Hester's book from the same period, The Wretch.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really liked Trent Kaniuga’s issue of Scud Tales From The Vending Machine, but I never saw Creed on the racks back in the day so never had the chance to pick it up.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

In Industry Terribleness books, DC is once again publishing comics by anti-choice, pro-genocide, and all around piece of poo poo Bill Willingham.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I only remember thinking of him as a creep over a decade ago and I can’t even think based on what outside of some of his writing choices in Fables. Where did he reveal he was even shittier?

Is there a games industry version of this thread?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Bill Willingham's series of columns for Breitbart are are a pretty good place to start for "bad things Bill Willingham has said".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's funny how it started with Bigby supporting Israel and one could go, "Okay, I can see that, he's an ancient might-makes-right jerk cop who wouldn't really pay attention to anything but a country's military so of course he would-" and then it got... worse.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Is there a games industry version of this thread?

Kind of. It is nowhere near as chill due to, uh... Everything about the challenge of moderating Games.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Edge & Christian posted:

Bill Willingham's series of columns for Breitbart are are a pretty good place to start for "bad things Bill Willingham has said".

my favorite is "we'd get to live in blade runner if everyone wasn't such a loving Pussy"

quote:

If cars and airplanes were introduced for the first time today I’ve no doubt that a vast hue and cry would go up about how dangerous they are. They’d never get government approval. They’d never be able to jump through all of the regulatory hoops any new product has to overcome today. The problem with jetpacks and flying cars is that they aren’t already 100% safe to all potential users. They don’t get, and never will get, the time to develop and perfect that we’ve given our airplanes and ground cars. We have our jetpacks and flying cars and we simply aren’t going to use them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tell me you didn't understand a movie without telling me you didn't understand a movie."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I know Umberto Eco's quote about how fascists must describe their enemies as being simultaneously weak and strong at the same time, and Sartre's comments on the frivolous arguments anti-Semites use, but is there not another good quote about fascists not getting commentary in fiction? I seem to remember something like that...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Samovar posted:

I know Umberto Eco's quote about how fascists must describe their enemies as being simultaneously weak and strong at the same time, and Sartre's comments on the frivolous arguments anti-Semites use, but is there not another good quote about fascists not getting commentary in fiction? I seem to remember something like that...

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/JoeOtterson/status/1404495349520244736

Weird that going down on someone elicits this responce versus something like biting someone's head off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anora posted:

Weird that going down on someone elicits this responce versus something like biting someone's head off.

Which episode did Batman bite someone's head off?

I do think it's odd since DC also published a book where you could see Batman's dick, and I disagree with this particular line being drawn for this act, but I understand the general concept of "there's things you can portray villains doing in your adult comic book cartoon, but not Batman," just it should be based on stuff like cruelty and violence, not consensual sex acts among adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anora posted:

DC suits thinking eating pussy is gross and weird explains every single thing about the company over the last thirty years.