Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Furism posted:

I got my Kragnos box today. It's heavy.

You get like 4 different options for his face, which is pretty nice.

How derpy are the other faces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Picked up a bunch of plastic bretonnian Knights to use as Flesh Eater Courts today: when I read about them I had the idea of modelling an army of Bretonnian Knights as what the FEC think they are, for something a bit different. As a plus, dudes on horses can be Crypt flayers or horrors as needed/as I feel like game to game.

Going to paint some of them different colours to make them look a bit special so they can be a Varghulf and the flayer/haunter hero and stick one on a griffon I can find to be a terrorgheist.

I guess that leaves an abhorrent archregent and some ghouls - Is there anything that might work for men-at-arms? Preferably a kitbash I could do as opposed to a proxy.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

For the grognards here, whats the best Starter Box. Is it Dominion?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

MinistryofLard posted:

Picked up a bunch of plastic bretonnian Knights to use as Flesh Eater Courts today: when ...

It’s such a cool army. If I ever come across a bret army that’s what I’m doing, despite having a most full FEC army.

I saw someone who used the green knight as a vargulf, which I thought was cool, but I think that model is expensive. They also did a small diorama-style thing, with Louen and the fay enchantress on horse/unicorn, as a terrorgeist/zombie dragon with spell-casting rider.

I feel like you can probably get the shields on the spearman from the normal state troops with a little fiddling (iirc the box comes with halberd, spear and sword/board option), to make bretonnian spear/shield guys, but it would need a head swap to look like brets, which I don’t know where to get by itself.

If you’re interested in going outside of GW, Perry miniatures has a bunch of boxes that are perfect I think - and historically accurate to the time period bretonnia is based on. They’re slightly slimmer than state troops but close to the same height. Agincourt french army box is probably the best choice, but the European mercenary box’s is a really cool.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 6, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Dominion will be the best starter box yes.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
6th Ed starter was great, those empire spearmen with the Roaring lion shields were wonderful. But The Skaven/Highelf Isle of Blood starter box I think was the best one.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mr.Booger posted:

6th Ed starter was great, those empire spearmen with the Roaring lion shields were wonderful. But The Skaven/Highelf Isle of Blood starter box I think was the best one.

Why was it so good? Tons of models? New sculpts?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

If you’re interested in going outside of GW, Perry miniatures has a bunch of boxes that are perfect I think - and historically accurate to the time period bretonnia is based on. They’re slightly slimmer than state troops but close to the same height. Agincourt french army box is probably the best choice, but the European mercenary box’s is a really cool.

IIRC, the Perry brothers sculpted the original bretonnian range when they were employed by GW. The aesthetic is entirely compatible.

Somewhat relatedly, Gary Morley has done work for Avatars of War and Chris FitzPatrick went on to found Crocodile Games if you're looking to expand on other classic collections.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Obviously, the miniatures quality goes up with every release, so if you look at it from that viewpoint, yeah, each starter is better than the last.

But "Best" is a relative term. If you don't like the armies, it's not going to be the best to you. Personally, I liked Soul Wars better because 1) I liked the ghosties; and 2) AOS 2 was an incredible reboot of a game system that was widely considered a joke by almost everyone.

I also have a place in my heart for the 6th ed WFB starter because those Empire sculpts still hold up today.

I'm still not on board for the aesthetic of the Krule Boyz, and not sure if we needed a third green skin faction, and I'm also not huge Stormcast fan (though the centerpiece for both armies in this box are really nice) so I'm not super into Dominion, myself.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

MinistryofLard posted:

Picked up a bunch of plastic bretonnian Knights to use as Flesh Eater Courts today: when I read about them I had the idea of modelling an army of Bretonnian Knights as what the FEC think they are, for something a bit different. As a plus, dudes on horses can be Crypt flayers or horrors as needed/as I feel like game to game.

Going to paint some of them different colours to make them look a bit special so they can be a Varghulf and the flayer/haunter hero and stick one on a griffon I can find to be a terrorgheist.

I guess that leaves an abhorrent archregent and some ghouls - Is there anything that might work for men-at-arms? Preferably a kitbash I could do as opposed to a proxy.
Here you can see a battle report with a full army of Bretonnians used as FEC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEebBws6axQ

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
The Broken Realms: Kragnos campaign is nice but it seems complicated to actually play. I have no idea if that's how it usually works with GW. But for the campaign you need a Sylvaneth Army (including Alarielle), Stormcasts, Cities of Sigmar, Slaneesh, Orruks, Sons of Behemat, Gloomspite, and probably more. Do people usually play these campaigns in clubs/shops?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Furism posted:

The Broken Realms: Kragnos campaign is nice but it seems complicated to actually play. I have no idea if that's how it usually works with GW. But for the campaign you need a Sylvaneth Army (including Alarielle), Stormcasts, Cities of Sigmar, Slaneesh, Orruks, Sons of Behemat, Gloomspite, and probably more. Do people usually play these campaigns in clubs/shops?
Well, we actually finished the one in BR: Be'lakor just yesterday. We used Stormcasts (with Gardus), KO, Seraphon, Nighthaunt, Nurgle, Slaves to Darkness (with Be'lakor), and Tzeentch. We only did it because within the narrative players, we actually have all the armies needed... with some lending in a couple of games, but it was fun.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Why was it so good? Tons of models? New sculpts?

New Skaven sculpts for clanrats, a badly needed update, the best rat ogre models (still the only way to get them), a very dynamic high elf hero on flying mount (I think the same, not sure he was ever sold separately).
Good amount of troops and heroes/non-troop units, so it gave a good sample of lots of different possibilities. The quality was the more modern style and a large improvement on the technical abilities of injection molding at the time.
I am probably a little biased as I love Skaven as well, but it did have a bit more variety in unit type than the 6th ed set, though it was close.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I watched a battle report that had the sides rolling random objectives every turn out of a list of 66 or something like that. Is that in one of the broken realms books?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
has anyone come across some 3D printable alternatives to the rogue idol? Kinda want one for my ironjawz now.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

GIRL BRAINS posted:

I watched a battle report that had the sides rolling random objectives every turn out of a list of 66 or something like that. Is that in one of the broken realms books?
If it was that Rerolling Ones game that they played in their backyard, they used something called Battle Strategies, it's an rare way to play Matched Games.

You can find the rules for that with the 2D6 table in the Core book... or you could use this link: https://wahapedia.ru/aos/the-rules/matched-play-games/#Battle-Strategies

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Furism posted:

Narrative campaigns like this tend to only exist as a set of fun options some people play with and for people who don't play the game to list as a thing that harms it.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Man these Mega-Gargants sure can be built quick, huh? Big pieces are apparently my favorite.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lasting Damage posted:

has anyone come across some 3D printable alternatives to the rogue idol? Kinda want one for my ironjawz now.

Buy some XPS foam

Make you own golem

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah, frankly this is the best option for a Rogue Idol. I would just look at photos and cut pink foam into small boulders and glue them together.

There is this though: https://hexy.store/monsters/1304-ork-demigod-ahle-ghruda.html?search_query=Idol&results=2

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/green-dwayne-the-rock-johnson

Found this fella

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-endless-spells

*waves fingers* Magic!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It looks like Prayers are being folded into the magic system, and priests are essentially their own limited form of wizard. Interesting change.

Having more control over Predatory Endless Spells is pretty fantastic. Keeping the wizard nearby is pretty paramount and dispelling the endless spell or sniping the wizard is going to be pretty important, if we see more Predatory spells out there.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

I have to buy a Wardokk for my Ironjawz now I guess. I always preferred the Big Waagh! anyway but it still feels wrong.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
ward saves are back in some form I suppose.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To me priests feel like wizards+.

Sure they don't get access to the generic spells like arcane bolt, but their 'prayers' can't be dispelled by wizards and they can dispel endless prayers and endless spells.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I suppose now a priest can pray harder than the opponent.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Do Soulblight have a priest? Its the main hole in my plan to keep playing Legions of Nagash.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beerdeer posted:

Do Soulblight have a priest? Its the main hole in my plan to keep playing Legions of Nagash.

Nagash used to be a priest, but lost the keyword with Soulblight.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
feel like its easier to count the armies with priests.

Stormcast, Khorne, Orruks, DoK, Fyreslayers, and Idoneth. I'm assuming skaven still have a plague priest and I want to say the Chaos Warshrine counts as one? Edit: and skinks, duh.

edit: sucks for soulblight but also if there were one army where it'd make sense they'd be weak to priests...

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 7, 2021

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
ogres have a priest too!!!!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like making priests more of a thing so long as gw commits to spreading them around a bit more

The dichotomy of Tzeentch having wizards but no priests and Khorne having priests but no wizards is fun but Maggotkin, Hedonites and Slaves to Darkness should get both

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
If that rumour about the Duardin factions getting merged together is true I think I might play that. I'm not a Fyreslayer fan but the magmic invocations are cool as heck.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So I went into Games Workshop for the first time in 14 years the other day

And today bought a Tzeentch Demons army...

gently caress

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

So I went into Games Workshop for the first time in 14 years the other day

And today bought a Tzeentch Demons army...

gently caress
Just in time for 3rd edition!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Talas posted:

Just in time for 3rd edition!

Yep..

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

reading this makes me feel a bit bent out of shape about Orruk Warclans never getting their own endless spells.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lasting Damage posted:

reading this makes me feel a bit bent out of shape about Orruk Warclans never getting their own endless spells.

That could change. The foot of Gork could be on the way.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lasting Damage posted:

The leaks did mention that Orruks were getting some new toys (aside from the new faction) and since those can be allied into Orruk Warclans *and* get their own centerpiece shaman model I'd be very surprised if we didn't see something for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The leaks did mention that Orruks were getting some new toys (aside from the new faction) and since those can be allied into Orruk Warclans *and* get their own centerpiece shaman model I'd be very surprised if we didn't see something for them.

The Kruleboyz are part of Orruk Warclans so it’s a step up from allying in.