Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I imagine Guns and Gears will have more alchemist support in it given how closely it ties into inventor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I wouldn't be surprised.

Honestly I'm not sure making the alchemist a core class was a particularly good idea at all...

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Golux posted:

I wouldn't be surprised.

Honestly I'm not sure making the alchemist a core class was a particularly good idea at all...

It’s a perfectly good and usable core class in 1e;

The decision to remove the spell-like alchemy and replace it purely with enhanced access to crafted items that any character can access and use is a neat idea that ultimately hamstrings the balance of the class itself though, because it becomes really hard to give alchemists anything where you don’t have to ask the question “isn’t it better to just have a fighter with a bunch of gold buy a bunch of these items?”

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

It’s a perfectly good and usable core class in 1e;

The decision to remove the spell-like alchemy and replace it purely with enhanced access to crafted items that any character can access and use is a neat idea that ultimately hamstrings the balance of the class itself though, because it becomes really hard to give alchemists anything where you don’t have to ask the question “isn’t it better to just have a fighter with a bunch of gold buy a bunch of these items?”

Honestly I feel like it kind of works for the bomber because the admixtures you can do with bombs are pretty good, but there's nothing comparable for the other builds, at least not past one or two feats that interact well. I think if there were more of that it could work. Where you use a lower level item and add a special effect.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zarick posted:

Honestly I feel like it kind of works for the bomber because the admixtures you can do with bombs are pretty good, but there's nothing comparable for the other builds, at least not past one or two feats that interact well. I think if there were more of that it could work. Where you use a lower level item and add a special effect.

Basically. The bomber mostly comes together but has this weird stair step of feat taxes and really coming online at key levels rather than feeling that way consistently from 1-20, but it gets there, eventually

They clearly tried to do the same thing for the mutagenist with Feral Mutagen as a feat, but it’s kind of too little too late at 8th level, and worse yet, the other mutagens don’t have similarly great feat options (and they’re all even higher level. It would go a long way to have, say, a +AC effect added to Juggernaut mutagen as a 4th level feat or whatever.)

Surprisingly, the Poisoner also has pretty drat good options; the errata change to let poisons use class DC really does actually make that subclass really good. It’s probably the strongest alchemist. It’s just that the rules for poisons are enough of a pain that it’s hard to want to bother.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm finally going to get to play in Pathfinder 2e soonish and I am going to play an Elf/Tiefling Ranger. I want him to be at least somewhat Witcher-esque, so wields a sword, knows a lot about hunting monsters and fucks around a little bit with potions/magic. Current plan is the elven ancestry feat for the free arcane cantrip for shield, the monster hunter ranger feat, the outwit hunters edge and then take alchemist dedication at level 2 (we are doing free archetype). I plan on using my third action to recall knowledge a lot or use shield. I might pick up more spells later through ancestry feats or a second archetype when available.

The thing I'm least sure about is what alchemical formulas to pick up with the dedication since I'm limited. I was going to pick up a bunch of mutagens but I'm not sure which of them is actually worth it. Any suggestions on what I should be grabbing?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm finally going to get to play in Pathfinder 2e soonish and I am going to play an Elf/Tiefling Ranger. I want him to be at least somewhat Witcher-esque, so wields a sword, knows a lot about hunting monsters and fucks around a little bit with potions/magic. Current plan is the elven ancestry feat for the free arcane cantrip for shield, the monster hunter ranger feat, the outwit hunters edge and then take alchemist dedication at level 2 (we are doing free archetype). I plan on using my third action to recall knowledge a lot or use shield. I might pick up more spells later through ancestry feats or a second archetype when available.

The thing I'm least sure about is what alchemical formulas to pick up with the dedication since I'm limited. I was going to pick up a bunch of mutagens but I'm not sure which of them is actually worth it. Any suggestions on what I should be grabbing?

tl;dr: Good ones are Silvertongue, Lesser Cognitive, Energy if your GM allows it, Drakeheart if your GM allows it. Most of the rest have their uses, so take them if you want to.

Bestial Mutagen: Bonus to Athletics & unarmed attack rolls, as well as a claw & jaws unarmed attacks, in exchange for a -1 penalty to AC and a -2 penalty to Reflex saves. 100% not worth it for you.
Cognitive Mutagen: Bonus to Int-based skills & recall knowledge, and cannot critically fail on Recall Knowledge, in exchange for a penalty to weapon & unarmed attack rolls, Athletics checks, Acrobatics checks, and carrying capacity. The lesser version is useful for the guaranteed "no critical failures", while with the higher level versions you run into the risk of the mutagen still being active when you get into a fight.
Juggernaut Mutagen: Bonus to Fortitude saves and temporary hit points, in exchange for a penalty to Will saves, Perception checks, and initiative rolls. Antidotes and Antiplagues give you larger bonuses to saves vs. poisons and diseases earlier without a drawback, which will make up a large chunk of the Fortitude saves you'll end up making. I wouldn't bother with it.
Quicksilver Mutagen: Bonus to Acrobatics, Stealth, Thievery, Reflex, Dex-based attack rolls, and land speed, in exchange for a penalty to Fort saves and HP. The bonus to attack rolls is only going to be higher than your potency rune from levels 6-9, and the Cheetah's Elixir gives you a speed boost without a penalty, so I'd skip it unless you really really need that boost to Reflex saves or skills.
Serene Mutagen: Bonus to Will saves, Wis-based skills, and an increased bonus against mental effects, in exchange for a penalty to attack rolls, spell save DCs, and weapon and spell damage. I don't think it's worth the tradeoff.
Silvertongue Mutagen: Bonus to Cha-based skills, and cannot critically fail on these skills, in exchange for a penalty to Int-based skills, losing 1 trained skill for the duration, and turning failures on Recall Knowledge into critical failures. Given that you're taking Monster Hunter, you won't want to use this yourself, but it in your formula book for the party face probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
Drakeheart Mutagen: Gain a bonus to AC (it's an item bonus, so it won't stack with your armour) and Perception, and the ability to stride twice in a single action to end the mutagen early, in exchange for a penalty to Will saves, Reflex saves, and Recall Knowledge, and a Dex cap of +2 to AC. The fact that it has a built-in option to end it early puts it head-and-shoulders above most other mutagens, since it means that if you're in a situation where you really don't want to deal with the penalties, you don't have to. The armour bonus is, at worst, on par with what you'd get from on-level magic light or medium armour, and will be higher for a good number of levels.

Other mutagens are uncommon or rare, so will require GM permission to take them.
Energy Mutagen (Uncommon): Resistance to one energy type (fire, cold, electricity, or acid), a bonus to melee damage based on the energy type chosen, and for the Greater version, the ability to end it early to do a cone of damage, in exchange for weakness to the other three energy types. It's a direct numerical boost to your damage, and again it has an option to end it early, which is always a plus. The only problem is that oftentimes enemies that do a particular type of energy damage will resist that damage, and enemies weak to a specific type of energy damage won't use it and will use a different type of energy damage, so sometimes you'll have to pick between resisting the enemy's damage and doing more damage to the enemy.
Stone Body Mutagen (Uncommon): Resistance to physical damage (except bludgeoning), in exchange for a penalty to your movement and Reflex saves. Definitely has its uses.
Applereed Mutagen (Rare): Bonus to Athletics and land speed, in exchange for a penalty to AC and Reflex saves. You also grow larger, which may or may not be a bonus, depending on the situation. Again, Cheetah's Elixir is there if you need a bonus to land speed without a drawback, and the rest is identical to the Bestial Mutagen, which already wasn't worth it.
Ichthyosis Mutagen (Rare): Fast Healing 2 and auto-succeed at flat checks to end bleed, in exchange for a penalty to Reflex saves and making you easier to track. Good if you know you'll be dealing with bleed and not Reflex saves, otherwise there's better options..

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Epi Lepi posted:

If you’re using Dex based attack rolls, Quicksilver will probably be your bread and butter. Juggernaut is quite good at low levels, but the penalty is an oof. Bestial really wants to be built around with feral; you should probably skip it.

Energy Mutagen starts out as good, becomes great if you have the ability to plan around elemental weaknesses (or just quick alch it), and becomes absolutely broken when you get access to the Greater version.

Drakeheart, Stone Body, Serene and Silvertongue can all be situationally useful; serene especially so if you know what you’re headed up against, are planning ahead, and it’s appropriate.

Cognitive Mutagen is not worth it’s penalty. Applereed is a trap; it’s Cheetah’s Elixir but extra lovely.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Epi Lepi posted:

Honestly, if you are going outwit, I don't think you'll have that free 3rd action for shield almost ever, and you won't get the AC bonus against your Hunted Prey, so it's of dubious value already.

If you are interested in picking up just a bunch of video-game-style potions/elixirs, you'd be better served with the Herbalist archetype than Alchemist.
It gets you all of these with a more straightforward method:
  • Antidote
  • Antiplague
  • Elixir of Life
  • Focus Cathartic
  • Sinew-Shock Serum
(the last 2 need the Expert Herbalism archetype feat at 6)

Otherwise, I'm not overly impressed by multi-classing into mutagens, but maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Red Metal posted:

Drakeheart if your GM allows it.

Drakeheart's not restricted.

I wouldn't assume access to Energy elixir, and even if you got it, you wouldn't get the greater version until 16, so it's not worth banking on (it's also not that good at 16).

And again, a lot of the utility in combat is going to come down to whether you are Dex or Str based, which you haven't specified.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Strength based, will be using a bastard sword.

I see what you mean about outwit and shield overlapping. If enemies don’t last more than a turn then I’ll be doing Hunt Prey every turn and probably not be able to shield. So the question is better to keep shield or switch hunters edge to precision.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Epi Lepi posted:

Strength based, will be using a bastard sword.

I see what you mean about outwit and shield overlapping. If enemies don’t last more than a turn then I’ll be doing Hunt Prey every turn and probably not be able to shield. So the question is better to keep shield or switch hunters edge to precision.

The basics of Hunter's Edge:
  • I plan to be making 2, preferably 3, attacks (either strikes or athletics stuff like Trip/Grapple/Shove) per turn, either by using a Flourish feat, or by having long range so I don't need to reposition. (Flurry)
  • I plan to be up close and personal, using Intimidate/Feint to stack penalties on my opponent so my fewer strikes have better chance to crit, and also making my allies hit better. (Outwit)
  • I plan on making 1 big hit each turn and using the rest of my actions for non-skill stuff, like casting spells or ordering my animal companion. (Precision)

Which of these sounds more like how you want to play?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Outwit is more what I want to do with this character I think.

My thought was that combat would go like this for me:

First turn, Hunt Prey w/recall knowledge->Move in->Shield if I'm not in range(either from lack of speed or deliberately to cause the enemy to move in), Attack if I am in Range

Subsequent turns, Move (assuming I need to)->Attack-> either shield if enemy is not dead or hunt prey for next turn. If I don't need to move then I'll make 2 attacks.

That's my thought but I honestly haven't planned out like the rest of my build at all yet.

Red Metal posted:

tl;dr: Good ones are Silvertongue, Lesser Cognitive, Energy if your GM allows it, Drakeheart if your GM allows it. Most of the rest have their uses, so take them if you want to.

This is extremely helpful thank you.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Question for people in the thread who have played/are playing/DMed/DMing the Age of Ashes Adventure Path.

Yesterday we had our session and I ended up in a short discussion with the DM (to be honest, I regret how terse it got and apologized for it, but this is another can of worms) about the totems you are supposed to neutralize in Book 2.

The book section (shown by the DM) describes that you can neutralize them with dispel magic (4th level, DC 22), but it is not specified whether the 4th level is the level for the spell or the item.

In my opinion it's the latter, given that otherwise there would not be a clear indication of the totem's effect level and also because the balance would be extremely off, as you arrive in Mwangi at level 5 and do not get access to a dispel magic at level 4 until level 7, making using magic to dispel the Totems rather hard outside of lucky crits, but the DM had interpreted it differently. He conceded after a discussion about it, so this isn't an attempt to bring more proof, but rather just trying to get an idea of the conventions of how this stuff is written, given I can see how both interpretations can be arrived at, and given it's honestly a little unclear.

Otherwise, I'm having a blast, even if the adventure path is certainly on the grindy side. I've never played 4th edition, but this system appeals to my desire to make unique builds without the constant worry of falling into trap options (there are still a few, although they seemed kinda obvious to me... which also makes me wonder how they ended up in, but eh, everybody makes mistakes) and without the huge power level disparities I'd constantly encounter in 3.5/Pathfinder 1st ed. Also the action economy is a ton of fun.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The spell level of the magical hazard is 4 as per the statblock. The GM is right that you'd need a crit to pass a DC22 dispel at level 6 unless you cast Dispel using a 3rd level spell slot (the counteract chart is below). You're right that those totems are probably a bit too difficult to dispel at your level so probably better off just letting the other players use Athletics or Thievery to mess up the runes.

Critical Success - Counteract the target if its counteract level is no more than 3 levels higher than your effect’s counteract level.
Success - Counteract the target if its counteract level is no more than 1 level higher than your effect’s counteract level.
Failure - Counteract the target if its counteract level is lower than your effect’s counteract level.
Critical Failure - You fail to counteract the target.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I did use a level 3 Dispel Magic, which is why I found it weird that I'd need a crit even then, but this makes sense.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I did use a level 3 Dispel Magic, which is why I found it weird that I'd need a crit even then, but this makes sense.
Oh! With a level 3 Dispel you'd only need an ordinary success since the spell effect on the hazard is level 4. So if that was what you used, the GM is wrong. Assuming your spell casting modifier is +12 at your level you'd only need to roll a 10.

Also they really missed the chance to have spell levels not be called "level" because it is confusing. Should be spell tiers imo

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

whats confusing about spell level?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

sugar free jazz posted:

whats confusing about spell level?

Pretty easy for new players to get confused, like the level you are, and the level spells you cast being different is pretty unintuitive and naming it something different would help.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My fourth level wizard went down to the third level of the dungeon to kill a fifth level monster using second level spells, with the aid of a tenth level item to deal with the differences between monster level and spell level and to help with penalties from the floor not being level.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Roadie posted:

My fourth level wizard went down to the third level of the dungeon to kill a fifth level monster using second level spells, with the aid of a tenth level item to deal with the differences between monster level and spell level and to help with penalties from the floor not being level.

This joke is next-level

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014
Hello, I'm planning to play a wild shape druid, and I have some rules questions.
The spells animal form and so on mention that the listed attacks are the only ones you can use.
I think this excludes me from doing actions like trip, but also other actions that let you strike, like tumbling strike from the acrobat archetype or attack of opportunity from e.g. multiclassing fighter archetype.
Do I have that right? Besides demoralize with Intimidating glare, are there any obvious other actions to do in combat while polymorphed?

Also, the rules text for polymorphed (Your gear is absorbed into you; the constant abilities of your gear still function, but you can’t activate any items.) seems to indicate that the activate effect of Gorget of the Primal Roar just doesn't work? Is this a bug or am I misreading something? Thanks in advance.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gnapo posted:

Also, the rules text for polymorphed (Your gear is absorbed into you; the constant abilities of your gear still function, but you can’t activate any items.) seems to indicate that the activate effect of Gorget of the Primal Roar just doesn't work? Is this a bug or am I misreading something? Thanks in advance.

It literally says you have to be in a polymorph to use it. Specific beats general, as always.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
We knocked it over and I buried it upside down.

When we first arrived there was one pre-knocked over and I tried to set it back up because I didn't realize...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
My players just finished the first book of Age of Ashes and we're going to do a downtime session before breaking to do a different game for a while. Mild spoilers:

I know a few of them want to do some research on the different Elven gods that are depicted in Alseta's ring to determine where the Elf Gates go. Obviously there's no way for them to figure out from research where the elf gates go but I want them to learn something. They specifically want to speak to someone at the Temple to Desna in Breachill as Desna is depicted in relation to the Dreamgate. I just don't know what they should learn. Their logic is if they know of any regions that particularly revere each of the gods then that's more likely to be where the gates go. A good thought but I don't know what to do with it that would be satisfying.

Less minor spoiler for book 2:
How exactly is the Dahak hazard supposed to work in the waystation? Are the PCs supposed to just run past or is there supposed to be a combat? If you've done this part I'd like to know how it went and if you would approach it differently.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Epi Lepi posted:

Less minor spoiler for book 2:
How exactly is the Dahak hazard supposed to work in the waystation? Are the PCs supposed to just run past or is there supposed to be a combat? If you've done this part I'd like to know how it went and if you would approach it differently.

I'm in a similar place, my players are about to fight the Doorwarden and find the citadel deed then repair the Huntergate and head in. There are 3 ways to disable the Dahak hazard so I took it that I need to telegraph this to the players (or emphasize that it doesn't seem to be moving from the center of the tunnel if they need a nudge to run away from it).

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Uhhhhh.....
A character got highly drunk and jumped through the gate while the rest of the party had a panic attack and ran through the dragon haphazardly....
As for your players ideas:
Im not sure how that would work. The gates as far as I am aware have never had any real relation to the gods depicted in on the gate system and even if they did that would be thousands of years old.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

MadScientistWorking posted:

As for your players ideas:
Im not sure how that would work. The gates as far as I am aware have never had any real relation to the gods depicted in on the gate system and even if they did that would be thousands of years old.

The gates have iconography that matches each of the deity statues that faces the gate in the room which is why they got that idea but yeah, in truth it seems to be just decoration. Though the fact that it would be thousands of years ago could make it work. I hate shutting down creative ideas so I don't want to be like "This is a pointless line of thinking," but I could put them off for now and say it needs much more research to find a clue, and then pull this line of inquiry back out if they ever get stuck in the future. I don't know if they'll ever need to know where they're going before they go through a portal going forward but this will be a way to do it.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Does anyone else use physical flip mats/tiles here? I was wondering if anyone's come up with a good method of storing/organizing them. I'm thinking maybe if I cut them along one fold and then fold it up in opposite directions they'd fit in a clear page protector and then set up a 3-ring binder of those.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Pathfinder 2e released the Mwangi Expanse as a PDF today. It's a big setting expansion to the sub-Saharan Africa region of the Golarion setting.

Found out via the Paizo storefront.

It's already generating discussion over there, but for those who have it, what are your thoughts?

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 8, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Libertad! posted:

Pathfinder 2e released the Mwangi Expanse as a PDF today. It's a bit setting expansion to the sub-Saharan Africa region of the Golarion setting.

Found out via the Paizo storefront.

It's already generating discussion over there, but for those who have it, what are your thoughts?

Is there a rundown anywhere yet of what/how much rules content is in there? (As in, a count/listing of new archetypes/feats/spells/items/monsters?)

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I got my hardcopy like a week ago but I haven’t had time to crack it open yet, that’s not helpful, but I’d expect someone on Reddit has read it pretty thoroughly by now and it might be worth checking there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Is there a rundown anywhere yet of what/how much rules content is in there? (As in, a count/listing of new archetypes/feats/spells/items/monsters?)

TOC:

It seems like a cool book, but if you are looking for rules content, there's not much, it's largely setting.

Rules content:
• New Sorcerer Bloodline
• Rare Ancestries
• Bestiary creatures

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

I feel like that stuff kinda doesn't matter with how permissive Paizo's license is. All the ancestries and other rules stuff will be on AoN within a day or 2. The lore and art are supposed to be fantastic. I decided to start a setting subscription with it, but now I have to awkwardly wait for them to ship my physical book before I have access to the PDF for whatever reason.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was thinking of learning and running my own Pathfinder 2e game, but there's something I do in Roll20, and I don't know if I could do it in Foundry.

When I DM, and someone's in a mansion, or talking to an NPC or whatever, I stream a window from my computer and just kind of sketch out a picture of the scene, or the person, or whatever to give the players a general idea of what they are looking at. When they go into a dungeon or battlemap I draw it out live and get input from the players and put some stuff they want "Oh we had a cart can we put it here?" Or, "There were trees can we have one here?"

Then upload it straight to roll20 almost instantly.

Does Foundry let me either draw straight on the map with a tablet pen, or alternatively, upload pngs very quickly from my art program to a map situation?

e: I also am coming to PF2e from a 13th age / 4e perspective, I've been forced to run a few 5e games, but I wanted to learn pathfinder to see if I could grab people who don't want to play 5e. I had a few issues with the monster cards and player powers being more vague then I like.

Is it easy to make encounters?

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 8, 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The spider people ancestry is adorable

(they also have a humanish form but who cares about that)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 8, 2021

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Andrast posted:

The spider people ancestry is adorable

(they also have a humanish form but who cares about that)

A Kumo-tan race? Sweet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh hell yeah! I am set to move from GM to player on the next book of Extinction Curse, and I am totally going to roll up a SpiderMan to join the circus.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Foundry question:

My group is switching off DMs for a bit. I was the DM, I own the Foundry license and a Forge subscription to host our game. I should be able to just create a world for my friend who's the new DM and give him the gamemaster password to the world and that's that right? I will still have to make sure that foundry and all addons and modules are updated but he should be good otherwise right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Epi Lepi posted:

Foundry question:

My group is switching off DMs for a bit. I was the DM, I own the Foundry license and a Forge subscription to host our game. I should be able to just create a world for my friend who's the new DM and give him the gamemaster password to the world and that's that right? I will still have to make sure that foundry and all addons and modules are updated but he should be good otherwise right?
Yep, just create a user, assign it the Game Master role, and they can manage modules and do everything in that world. It's up to the server admin to do module and game system updates though (via the configuration and setup area)