Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Pakled posted:

Dunno how climate change reshaped every coastline in the world except Japan's

dunno if anybody has done any work on the hydrological impact of colony drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tree Goat posted:

dunno if anybody has done any work on the hydrological impact of colony drops

It hit so hard it sunk Ireland and sent England spinning.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

In those maps where they give direct translations from Chinese or Japanese names for countries (so supposedly the Japanese for United States translates to "shining country" or whatever it is), are they actually understood by Chinese or Japanese people in that way, or are they just picked to be phonetically close to the native name? Like no one is saying the English name for Brazil translates to "bra's ill."

Japanese has also used purely phonetic rather than rebus full names for (non-Sinosphere) places since the war, with the pared-from-rebus abbreviations often not even matching the Japanese pronunciation. If the direct meaning or even the old orthography comes up outside of being needlessly Victorian (well, Meiji or Taisho) for style, it's in pop-history mnemonics -to remember the abbreviation-, mostly about Germany having no worthwhile alliances.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

I think looking at the reprehensible things some colonized people do still needs reflection on how those are often things that were enabled only because of their colonizers; way too often you see the argument that "well <colonized peoples> also participated in this atrocity, they're responsible just like <colonizers>."
I feel like this at least partly down to people thinking of history as the history of the upper classes, because the upper classes by definition benefit from whatever system is in place. It's much easier to say they're both responsible for colonialism if you only look at active perpetrators. (Though as noted, the imperial power can effectively impose a reality where it's oppress or be oppressed, where the arrangement is essentially coerced.)
To imply that the periphery in aggregate was equally responsible is basically like saying the serfs of early modern Europe were just as responsible for serfdom as the royalty because the local nobility was in on it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Elyv posted:

apparently this is from gundam wing

Russia has somehow gained a great deal of pacific coast.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm South America's big swinging dick
Now peep the US' microflorida

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

And a zoom-in on NYC

I was actually looking for a map of origin stories, because I was remembering how so many origin stories ended up being in the "mystic east". Dr. Strange is probably the most well-known, but I think Dr. Doom got his mask from a bunch of monks in the Himalayas, Juggernaut got his powers from an ancient temple in Korea, Iron Man got his start when he was kidnapped in "Siancong" a pretty clear Vietnam stand-in, and he met his friend Rhodey to become WarMachine after he fought in real-Vietnam, and Mantis was a Vietnamese girl before she became a green space lady. It's not something you'll see a lot of official stuff about because it's dated in both a dated problematic understanding of other regions and in actual history since most marvel characters are like 50 years old, and it's the sort of thing Marvel wants people to think about.

There's also characters who change their origin story over time, like I think Wolverine's first expansion (of many) onto his origin was when the X-Men went to Japan and it turned out that Wolverine had some kind of history there. And you'll see that Storm on that map is listed as coming from New York, because after her first origin of just being a lady in Africa (I think Kenya) acting as a god, they gave her an origin of growing up as a street urchin in Cairo, but then they went back even further and said that her parents had actually taken her on a business trip to Africa when they got killed by a collapsing building. Weird stuff.

But if you want something more easy to comment on:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-superheroes-worlds-most-popular/

Although there's probably something screwy going on with metrics here.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
the map definitely seems like one of those "noise presented as signal" maps especially given how those figures are all joined at the hip now but lol germany

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Bronx was ceded to Connecticut I guess.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I guess Canada became such big fans of Cap after they annexed Alaska.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

I'm Canadian Captain America America (Alaska)

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

SlothfulCobra posted:

But if you want something more easy to comment on:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-superheroes-worlds-most-popular/

Although there's probably something screwy going on with metrics here.

If it's based on Web searches, Hulk's supposed popularity in Brazil might be somewhat influenced by this guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arglebargle III posted:

Naw, thankfully, it’s the 12th province of Canada in the Marvel universe

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just assumed that there were no heroes related to the Bronx. Or maybe that's outside of the range of areas that this New York City tourism company likes to promote. I know there's heroes associated with Jersey that the map is ignoring. A bit farther north is the X Mansion.

What's a good website for checking out city and state borders? I never really know what to do when I just want a simple reference map from the internet. Google maps doesn't like showing borders because it's optimized to show roads instead.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Turkey cannot loving get enough of groot

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Arglebargle III posted:

and Staten Island, as we all know, is not a real place and has never actually existed, it's like that Berenstein Bears thing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The one marvel guy from France is Batroc the Leaper, and I guess I'm a little surprised that the Abomination was Yugoslavian originally.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Proud to know my particular west texas shithole is an anarchy zone while those hicks in Midland and Amarillo don't register

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So in California do the nuclear targets, high crime anarchy zones, and submersion all cancel each other out, or do you get atomic jetski gangs?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Iron Man got his start when he was kidnapped in "Siancong" a pretty clear Vietnam stand-in.

Originally, Iron Man's origin story was set in straight-up Vietnam. The change to Sian-Cong is a fairly recent retcon to try and make the comics timeline still make sense - if Iron Man or the Punisher are still young men, they can't be Vietnam War vets, so more recent comics have switched to using a fictional conflict instead. It's been a... controversial retcon; the 'sliding timescale' works better if you don't draw attention to it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The new Euro 2020 kit :laugh:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/07/ukraine-new-football-kit-russia-national-team-shirt-annexed-crimea

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

So in California do the nuclear targets, high crime anarchy zones, and submersion all cancel each other out, or do you get atomic jetski gangs?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

You should definitely take various fake flooding areas/nuclear targets as a “threat” but ignore how this shelter is in the middle of what was formerly (?) a target dense area and still in an area downwind of fallout.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

So the submersion zone has overspilled the Sierra Navadas, Cascades, and Rockies, but can't surmount the Appalachians? :raise:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

So the submersion zone has overspilled the Sierra Navadas, Cascades, and Rockies, but can't surmount the Appalachians? :raise:
Yellowstone blew, spewed out all the material holding that area up.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

King Hong Kong posted:

You should definitely take various fake flooding areas/nuclear targets as a “threat” but ignore how this shelter is in the middle of what was formerly (?) a target dense area and still in an area downwind of fallout.

Not to mention immediately downwind of the ash plume from Yellowstone, which for no adequately explained reason is apparently erupting in this scenario. I don't care how fancy your air filtration system is, it's not rated to handle a couple Pompeii's worth of ash just plopping down on top of you.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yellowstone blew, spewed out all the material holding that area up.

Supervolcanos do not work that way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcreTTI9Rew

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The idea that big cities would become anarchy zones instead of the center of whatever society that starts rebuilding after a catastrophe is already bad, but you can't have both that and predict nuclear strikes killing most of the population.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That was very interesting and fun to watch, thank you.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I don't think they're predicting all of the things happening at once, they're just showing a variety of potential hazard zones on one map.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/raylehmann/status/1401958017114030089

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

kinda arbitrary to say Miami and DC aren't Southern

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
If DC were the South it'd be alot easier to get some fried chicken around here

tractor fanatic fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 8, 2021

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

It's always the easy way out to take a sea level map and put anything under X sea level as the submersion zone.

It takes balls to label most of the largest peaks and the driest deserts in the 48 states as being part of the Submersion Zone, and just to be nice have only half of the Rockies be submerged.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The nukes helped squeeze it out, like a huge pimple.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Maxwells Demon posted:

It's always the easy way out to take a sea level map and put anything under X sea level as the submersion zone.

It takes balls to label most of the largest peaks and the driest deserts in the 48 states as being part of the Submersion Zone, and just to be nice have only half of the Rockies be submerged.

It's part of an advertisement for a real bunker company too, and with no explanation for what "submersion zone" could possibly mean when it takes out the Rockies.

https://www.terravivos.com/secure/vivosxpoint.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivos_(underground_shelter)

Hey wait a second... Vivos, also known as The Vivos Group, is a California-based company

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

What’s with the one southern county in Pennsylvania?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
That's Pennsyltucky