Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Sekigahara is a great game and I highly recommend it for two players. Keep in mind the game's depth comes out more in repeated plays because you have to learn a bit about how the two sides play and where the big decision points are. However, if you're looking for economic this game has a resource aspect, but is heavily weighted towards the tactical end of things. The whole point of the game is that it plays out in about seven weeks of real life time where a massive civil war was basically resolved by one side's leadership conveniently dying after a major battle.

It is a game about husbanding your resources and then spending them at the precise moment to have the greatest impact if that is what you are looking for.

edit: what I'm trying to say is that it's not what is generally thought of as an economy game. Because it doesn't really have economic aspects beyond managing existing resources.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Quiz posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for an introductory wargame? I'm quite familiar with board gaming generally but not really this genre. Axis & Allies is probably my only exposure and I am attracted to the larger-scale, economic side of things more than the tactical. Fantasy, historical, doesn't matter to me. Also would like to avoid games in which one side plays from the perspective as the Nazis or other genocidal regime.

Thoughts?

You should look at Space Empires 4X. Economic engine and wargame rolled into one, one of my favourite games of any type.

I wouldn't have suggested Sekigahara but if it appeals to you at all go for it, it's such a good game.

Ogre is a good lighter wargame but scenarios with economic focus tend to get more lengthy and complicated.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Quiz posted:

I had my eye on Conquest of Paradise as well. Does anyone have experience with that? Or Sekigahara? Thank you guys for the suggestions!

Others have spoken to sekigahara, so I’ll just add in that it is a very intuitive and clever design - it’s held up with my regular war gaming partner and we are at about a dozen plays.

Related, you can try it out at Yucata.de.

As for Conquest of Paradise, I think thread consensus was negative due to the randomness in island exploration draws. I won’t deny that it can be very swingy, but I enjoyed it personally. It plays fast while encompassing basic 4x aspects. It’s comprehensible enough that my partner enjoyed playing it, despite her aversion to overt conflict or complexity in games.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I am definitely seconding Sekigahara and QMG1914, the former is an excellent 2 player operational game and the latter is pretty much exactly "what if Axis&Allies was good?" It's got the same feel of a team game about pushing little dudes around on a pretty abstract map, but the random elements are entirely in the deck of cards that let's you do actions- combat is just "you win unless the other guy discards more of a specific card than you." The game has both a hard time limit and a limited deck for each player, which gives a great sinking feeling of gradually realizing your country is running on fumes and maybe you can survive if only the other guy is too.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Would a COIN of one flavor or another fit the bill? The only one I have is Fire in the Lake and that's prob a no-go due to complexity.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Compass’s Korea reprint arrived today. The map quality is terrible, with the creases looking like they’ve been folded and unfolded a hundred times — the print “coating” is flaking off, exposing the white paper beneath. This is happening at the map edges as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Compass is always really sketchy in terms of quality. My copy of Crusade and Revolution was alright but the components still felt really flimsy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah Compass is definitely one of those "quantity over quality" companies, much like Decision Games. I swear every month they email me with 5 new games they're releasing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's still worth sending photos to their customer support, you might get a new map.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I got Lamps and that map had the same problem at the creases. I think they heard the criticism and went overboard with the 2nd edition. The counters are crazy thick and pre-rounded, mounted maps, primo cardstock. It's a really nice game.

In Korea, every vertical fold in the map is worn at the creases in such a way as to create faint white lines on the map when unfolded. Just holding the folded maps, you can feel something's hosed. This is a 4-map game and the "oversized maps" aspect of this reprint was one of the selling points, but on the other hand I'm gonna enjoy it all the same and total first world problems, y'know.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 6, 2021

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Also, the three counter sheets are misaligned on the backs and can’t be used so great job all around by Compass on this one.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm going to put these up for sale on BGG but I'm happy to sell to you nerds first. PM if interested.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I've only just recently found this hobby, and having watched people play through and talk on stuff, I bit the bullet and got 1914 Serbien Muss Sterbien a while ago. Austrian history has long been a special interest of mine, so it seemed a perfect way in, since I'm not super sold on WWII or ACW Stuff. I already knew I'd be into this type of game and grabbed the american revolution tri pack on a sale. Now I've just had my birthday, and decides to celebrate by cracking into 1914. It's been a blast, sure, but it's also been difficult remembering all the rules since I'm playing solo. The way this rulebook is written also keeps confusing me, but I'm pushing through. The hardest concept for me to grasp with this is for sure the CRT. Not as much the table itself, just. . . having to simplify ratios. It's beyond my math skills. I found an old Avalon Hill insert that calculates ratios though, so it's good enough for my purposes!

I've just wrapped up the austro-hungarian counter movement phase of the second turn- and I realize I've already blundered into enemy attacks. If I can ever find someone to play with me, it's going to be insane fun.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Quantumfate posted:

I've only just recently found this hobby, and having watched people play through and talk on stuff, I bit the bullet and got 1914 Serbien Muss Sterbien a while ago

Right on, and welcome to the hobby! I've got 1914 as well, but I haven't even opened it yet -- I've been waiting on the counter updates which should be shipping any day now:
https://www.gmtgames.com/p-890-12-countersheet-for-1914-games.aspx

Some of these wargames are great windows into history and I've learned a lot. I plan on setting up Der Weltkrieg -- the whole thing -- and kicking off a game on July 28. I enjoy gaming out the WW1 and Vietnam periods, for some reason. I'm a bit meh about WW2 and find Napoleon and ACW totally uninteresting.

I never knew much about the Korean War, so I bought the new one by Compass Games. It's a fascinating conflict and I never knew there was so much back-and-forth. Naturally, I had to order the upcoming reprint of the MMP OCS title.

Nobody in this godforsaken town plays these things, so it's just me pushing cardboard around in the garage and making pew-pew noises.
My dog's in the garage with me, so it's not like I'm alone and this is weird or anything.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The OCS Korea game *is* good but struggles once you get to Chinese Intervention. The game mostly revolves around both sides having units that are at least somewhat mobile, and by the time you reach that particular stage in the war, the name of the game is simply attrition. Also, the method used to try to emulate the suprise factor of that stage in the war doesn't really work all that well. The starting part of the war and the US amphibious landings are pretty fun, though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I see and I get it. I’m also interested in the mechanics of these games and how they do (or don’t) replicate history. The element of surprise is a tough one to implement in an historical game. I’ve seen triggers of various sorts used, die rolls, card-driven events, etc. I consider card-driven events lazy game design tho.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
Are there any podcasts that deal with non-miniature wargames?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Three Moves Ahead does a whole lot of strategy game stuff and occasionally does h&c war games.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Arvid posted:

Are there any podcasts that deal with non-miniature wargames?

COIN designers have gone on several podcasts

https://www.owltail.com/people/jckI8-brian-train/appearances
https://www.owltail.com/people/cYkPc-volko-ruhnke/appearances

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Some of these wargames are great windows into history and I've learned a lot. I plan on setting up Der Weltkrieg -- the whole thing -- and kicking off a game on July 28.

:stare:

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Finally finished our game of the Russian Campaign. Really fun game. Where I wound up not being aggressive in the beginning of the game to conserve my offensive strength or consolidating beyond the Pripyat Marshes, my opponent bogged down on the Vistula wasting six months probing and trying to pry open my flanks. He even admitted on the second to last turn that he should have gone for a full-front hammer because I couldn't replace any of the units I lost. Lessons learned! He cracked the Vistula after some back-and-forth over Warsaw but by then it was a clear spring and I scurried behind the Oder to end the game in a draw.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Cheeky question perhaps but spring of which year?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Cheeky question perhaps but spring of which year?

March/April of 1945 so in an alternate history Hitler didn't kill himself until a month later.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
lmao decision announced their revised ed of axis empires will be $320

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Holy poo poo. I never pulled the trigger on TK because even by itself was expensive.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What is a good civil war game that actually reflects the importance of politics throughout the war?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

lmao decision announced their revised ed of axis empires will be $320

Yeah that sounds like decision. It'll probably be janky and full of typos and rules errors too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

fr0id posted:

What is a good civil war game that actually reflects the importance of politics throughout the war?

Which country’s civil war?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

All of them!

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
lol, the US Civil War, sorry. Blame American schooling for that one.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It’s difficult to be able to create a game that is both interesting in terms of strategical play and apps focuses on the quite difficult political issues that were present during the war. For The People has some political elements while still being a war game proper, but they are still kind of minimised in comparison to running military campaigns.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think if i buy another OCS, i'd like to see some kind of quad, rather than a huge campaign.

Something like a release that's 3-4 different operations with scopes like Third Winter's Scorpions in a bottle- fully fledged but briefer, smaller scope games that don't need a massive table and time commitment.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
I know that Avalanche Press has a bit of a reputation for poor customer service but I enjoy their daily content and particularly Mike Bennighof's unflinching willingness to call Nazis and the SS criminals, and to highlight the injustice of segregation in the US Army. I mean he should call the whole Wehrmacht a criminal organization too but it's definitely progress.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Carbolic posted:

I know that Avalanche Press has a bit of a reputation for poor customer service but I enjoy their daily content and particularly Mike Bennighof's unflinching willingness to call Nazis and the SS criminals, and to highlight the injustice of segregation in the US Army. I mean he should call the whole Wehrmacht a criminal organization too but it's definitely progress.

I love how in this day and age calling Nazis criminasl still isn't the default state.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Edit: I’m a moron non American and obviously conflated war of independence with civil war due to being tired. Disregard post!!!

Tekopo posted:

It’s difficult to be able to create a game that is both interesting in terms of strategical play and apps focuses on the quite difficult political issues that were present during the war. For The People has some political elements while still being a war game proper, but they are still kind of minimised in comparison to running military campaigns.

Washington’s War is awesome IMO for this - it tilts a bit towards being more of a board game than a full wargame, as id say the political side has slight prominence over the military side. It also plays very fast. I love it but its hybrid nature is a turn off for some I think. That said it may also not be political in the sense you mean/you want, it’s more that it blends a somewhat abstract go-like game representing political control with marching armies around.

I haven’t played For the People but I understand Washington’s War is a step or two simpler. I think it’s super underrated in any case.

Edit: as above disregard as I’m an exhausted idiot and just thought “US war” and conflated civil war with war of independence

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 6, 2021

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

covid really did a number on this hobby huh?
not many new games, not many after action reports.
kinda bums me out, there is the Herman Pacific thing coming but even thats an old game.

hopefully lots of things are cooking, i cant say i keep up with the market other than noise from here or twitter

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Last weekend was the first time I had an IRL gaming moment in about a year and a half. Me and tomdidiot managed to do about 5 turns of OCS Hungarian Rhapsody, which is actually quite an interesting scenario. The Axis basically have no option of creating a strong frontline, and they don't have enough troops to even exploit an openings they create, and don't have enough supplies to really mount an offensive of any size. So the dynamic is quite peculiar in that the Russians have incredible strength, with the only issue is that it is very easy for them to overrun their supply network, so they can't go full-pelt: there are also some crucial cities that are basically network hubs that need to be captured in order for them to unlock certain parts of the map. Meanwhile, the Axis player needs to do all they can to stall the Russians and get quite a sizeable part of their army out of the east before the Russians have a chance to tighten the noose and cut them off from Budapest.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

More COINs for the COIN God! gently caress it, put 4 COINs in a single box!!!!!!

(I'm still getting it just for the Palestine game :negative:)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HerraS posted:

More COINs for the COIN God! gently caress it, put 4 COINs in a single box!!!!!!

(I'm still getting it just for the Palestine game :negative:)

Four two player games in one box sucked me into the P500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It wont have any kind of bot tough, even of a whack-a-mole variety.