Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Trip reminded me how much I love riding in wales. It’s beautiful and quiet and the roads are generally decent quality. I’d like to do some of those climbs again without luggage though!

:hmmyes:

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I didn’t really take enough photos, here are the only 2:

For long trips with a frame bag, I'd recommend a side loading bottle cage instead - much easier on the go and means you're less likely to get dehydrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

52oz of water was definitely not enough for this one. My usual route is an out and back fairly shady trail and I ride at like 6:30am. Went to the airport trail at noon so I was never more than 2-1/2 miles from the car due to threat of rain and just did 7 loops. Aiming for 8, but the wife called at halfway through 7 to ask when I was going to be done.

Also, gently caress cicadas. I took several to the chest and arms, then I took one to the glasses at just under 40kph. Then another one got in one of the helmet vents and started screaming.

Lastly, <modem noises>. Not intentional, but made me lol when I finished.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I was going maybe 12 mph today when a cicada landed on my stomach. I let him chill there till I made it home.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Trip reminded me how much I love riding in wales. It’s beautiful and quiet and the roads are generally decent quality. I’d like to do some of those climbs again without luggage though!

So good. My last decent ride before leaving the UK was a loop out of Cardiff. Saw maybe a dozen cars the whole day.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

That's just about the most you can get of prime English countryside without actually cycling on the grounds of Windsor Palace

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
One of the photographers at the race on Saturday actually managed to make me look cool.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
This is indeed a very cool photo !

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

e.pilot posted:

One of the photographers at the race on Saturday actually managed to make me look cool.

Are those......

ANKLE SOCKS

(nice photo)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I took everything apart on Saturday and my squeaky bike bits were the pedal springs

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got mansplained at :(

Took the e MTB out for a shakedown and there was a squeak. Boomer man sees me tightening the pannier rack bolts I say “there is a squeak” and then the bastard grabs the 23kg bike by the seat and then the rack and bounces it up and down.

It was the headset.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

Thats a level of color coordination and sock length I'd expect at one of my races!

That race and road surface looked like hell, and it is a very nice photo

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Took the e MTB out for a shakedown and there was a squeak. Boomer man sees me tightening the pannier rack bolts I say “there is a squeak” and then the bastard grabs the 23kg bike by the seat and then the rack and bounces it up and down.

It was the headset.

He shouldn't have done that without you asking first but at least now you won't be taking everything else off the bike and greasing it first.

I gotta play another round of make the squeaking stop and it's probably another dry BB/crank spindle but ugh I'll do that later.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

e.pilot posted:

Absolutely destroying the competition so hard that no one can be seen behind you. Good job!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:hmmyes:
For long trips with a frame bag, I'd recommend a side loading bottle cage instead - much easier on the go and means you're less likely to get dehydrated

That’s a good idea, my current ones are flexible enough that I can get bottles out but it’s a bit of a faff getting them back in.

Does anyone ride regularly with SPF arm screens? I’m wondering if it’s a better solution for all day rides than sun cream

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

serious gaylord posted:

Are those......

ANKLE SOCKS

(nice photo)

it was too hot to wear fun long socks :saddowns:

learnincurve posted:

It was the headset.

what the gently caress

Good Dog posted:

Thats a level of color coordination and sock length I'd expect at one of my races!

That race and road surface looked like hell, and it is a very nice photo

However bad you think the road was I can assure you it was worse

poemdexter posted:

Absolutely destroying the competition so hard that no one can be seen behind you. Good job!

That or I was so far back no one was behind me the second place guy I was riding with got a flat and we both dropped the rest of the field way before that

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Like 2 or 3 weeks ago I posted ITT asking a dumb question about removing my front wheel and someone shared a link that has a bunch of DIY basics for bike repair but I forgot to bookmark it :( I know that's really vague but hopefully you guys will know the site I'm talking about? :downs:

Also is ones front brake supposed to have a giant kink in it? I'm guessing the answer is "very no"

I took it out of my car the other day and the front wheel is all locked up. I assume the caliper is just stuck or something, but yea as I said I don't know squat about bike repair. Just looked at it more closely and noticed that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sab669 posted:

Like 2 or 3 weeks ago I posted ITT asking a dumb question about removing my front wheel and someone shared a link that has a bunch of DIY basics for bike repair but I forgot to bookmark it :( I know that's really vague but hopefully you guys will know the site I'm talking about? :downs:

Are you talking about https://www.sheldonbrown.com/diy.html

or maybe https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/wheel-removal-and-installation

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ahhh, yea it was Park Tool. thanks.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anyone in here had any experience with dog trailers and training their dogs?

No i dont want to bring my dog on gravel rides.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ElMaligno posted:

Anyone in here had any experience with dog trailers and training their dogs?

No i dont want to bring my dog on gravel rides.

My dog hates them sadly :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Same. Also when they move the weight shifts quite dramatically and is a bit unnerving.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If the wizard of oz taught us anything it’s that if little dogs wish to escape from your bike then they will find a way.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I bought my dog a trailer and tried to acclimate her to it and it was a total no go. Its a beer/ grocery trailer now.

My dog is kind of high strung though. If your dog is already chill it could work.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I thought about getting one for my dog but hes 33kg.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My dog is ok around bicycles (mostly when i am the one riding it or the one that i store inside), i have taken her around on a dog bike leash but she aint a runner. I figure if i get a really cheap trailer i can get her used to it, after some time of training and treats.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sab669 posted:

Also is ones front brake supposed to have a giant kink in it? I'm guessing the answer is "very no"

I took it out of my car the other day and the front wheel is all locked up. I assume the caliper is just stuck or something, but yea as I said I don't know squat about bike repair. Just looked at it more closely and noticed that.

Yeah, the kink in that curved metal noodle is trapping the brake cable with the brake arms tight, which is why the wheel's locked.
If you want to ride the bike, I would extremely carefully use pliers to squeeze open the kink only just enough to allow the cable to slide inside of it.
You don't want to snap the noodle, as it would lead to very inconsistent cable movement and braking force.

If I were on tour, I'd do the above, wrap a bit of electrical tape around the kink, and ziptie before and after the kink. If the noodle snaps, as long as the two ends don't move too much relative to each other, you'll still have braking. I'd be more casual about it if it were the rear brake.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

If you want to ride the bike, I would extremely carefully use pliers to squeeze open the kink only just enough to allow the cable to slide inside of it.
You don't want to snap the noodle, as it would lead to very inconsistent cable movement and braking force.

:toot: I think that fixed it. Thanks Can't even visibly see a difference in that little casing, but the wheel's spinning freely and the brakes seem to feel fine. Sweet. I was bummed not going for my ride last Friday or today.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
My first gravel race is this coming Saturday. They've released this year's course... it's 166km instead of 145km.

it feels that going over the 150 threshold takes it from "I can do this in an afternoon for fun" to "ooo poo poo that's a bit serious".

(jokes on me really; I'm the one who surveyed and added a lot of the missing local footpaths and bridleways to Openstreetmap/Garmin/Strava/Komoot that they've used to extend the race with - at least i'm definitely familiar with the new bits!)

meltie fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 8, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Does anyone ride regularly with SPF arm screens? I’m wondering if it’s a better solution for all day rides than sun cream
I do and I like them. I really hate sunscreen though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

meltie posted:

My first gravel race is this coming Saturday. They've released this year's course... it's 166km instead of 145km.

it feels that going over the 150 threshold takes it from "I can do this in an afternoon for fun" to "ooo poo poo that's a bit serious".

(jokes on me really; I'm the one who surveyed and added a lot of the missing local footpaths and bridleways to Openstreetmap/Garmin/Strava/Komoot that they've used to extend the race with - at least i'm definitely familiar with the new bits!)

Just pedal longer. Simple!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I love the Pearl Izumi Knee and Arm SPF guards. I hate having cream on for a long ride since it just turns into a paste eventually. Worst weather I’ve survived with them on is around 95 degrees in Napa. They’re okay for cold weather as well - they definitely won’t replace a nice set of thermals, but they’re okay for slightly warmer summer nights (I survived a night ride to Davis with them).

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Yes and they rule especially in dry heat when they seem to have a cooling effect. In humidity they can get slightly uncomfortable.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
How does the bike hive mind feel about brass colored fenders on a hybrid/commuter bike?

Note that that brass would match the bottle cage and the seat rails.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

spf3million posted:

I used sunscreen today and my face and arm were covered in little dead flies which I noticed after my ride. Maybe I didn't rub enough which isn't a problem I normally have. (ha no dumb joke for you I beat you to it)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

spf3million posted:

I can't tell if this is great or terrible post/name synergy.

Edit: I need to buy more Watery Essence, it's the best sunscreen by a mile

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a decent combination folding lock around? I wanted to have a small one on my mountain bike just for impromptu stops.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Abus Bordo is available as a combination lock. Probably not going to pass as "small" though.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a decent combination folding lock around? I wanted to have a small one on my mountain bike just for impromptu stops.

There is a Hiplok which is basically an armoured zip-tie lock - one model of which comes with a combination lock end on it.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/hiplok-z-lok-combo-security-tie

Reviews are mixed though with some people saying the combo jams or can reset itself.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

meltie posted:

There is a Hiplok which is basically an armoured zip-tie lock - one model of which comes with a combination lock end on it.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/hiplok-z-lok-combo-security-tie

Reviews are mixed though with some people saying the combo jams or can reset itself.

You can also go through them with a pair of tin snips so they are basically just a reusable cable tie and shouldn't be used for anything other than making your bike marginally less difficult to steal than the one next to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I bought the onguard combination U Lock for my lawnmower in the shed and it’s as useless as a chocolate teapot. Flaw in the reset mechanism that means one hit with a hammer on that part would break the lock. Shame because their solid secure gold/diamond locks are awesome.