Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hello, my name is BitBasher and it seems I have a problem.

I just realized I can't stop doing the Cayo Perico heist. I'm Cayo heisting all the time now. I've done it like 70 times and I'm sitting on 93 million GTA bucks even after buying a bunch of stuff, and I still keep doing it. I think it's that money was so hard to come by for so long They are gonna realize how badly they hosed up the economy with this and nerf it then I won't be able to get money any more. Thanks, Rockstar! You loving broke me!

What time is it right now? It's Cayo Perico time it looks like...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

BitBasher posted:

Hello, my name is BitBasher and it seems I have a problem.

I just realized I can't stop doing the Cayo Perico heist. I'm Cayo heisting all the time now. I've done it like 70 times and I'm sitting on 93 million GTA bucks even after buying a bunch of stuff, and I still keep doing it. I think it's that money was so hard to come by for so long They are gonna realize how badly they hosed up the economy with this and nerf it then I won't be able to get money any more. Thanks, Rockstar! You loving broke me!

What time is it right now? It's Cayo Perico time it looks like...

I feel like if they were going to nerf it visibly they would have by now. I do think they might have made some stealth changes, like making cocaine far less common at the Main Docks, but that's just anecdotal evidence from my ~50 runs of it.

The only week things have been really wild was when the heist had a 50% bonus payout, and they likely won't do that again.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

mp5 posted:

I feel like if they were going to nerf it visibly they would have by now. I do think they might have made some stealth changes, like making cocaine far less common at the Main Docks, but that's just anecdotal evidence from my ~50 runs of it.

The only week things have been really wild was when the heist had a 50% bonus payout, and they likely won't do that again.

I do think that very recently they upped the penalties for restarting or dying in a heist. I'm now losing consistently 100k+ per restart in the last few days when I never did before. This isn't a blind guess, I've tracked my last 47 heists over the last month for a lot of data points, and failures in the last 4 days or so net around 100k less profit than failures more than 4+ days ago, even with the exact same secondary/primary targets and Hard mode/elite bonus factored in.

Successful heists are pulling in almost exactly the same profit, within the margin for error. Failures took a dive.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Whelp, I figure at this rate with another 50 or 60 weeks I can add another comma to that...

Thanks Cayo!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I really wish they put commas in the number so it's actually readable.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Floppychop posted:

I really wish they put commas in the number so it's actually readable.

Me too! then I could have made a Tres Commas on 50-60 weeks joke, which I can't do when I have no commas at all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Me too! then I could have made a Tres Commas on 50-60 weeks joke, which I can't do when I have no commas at all.

But you can still afford doors that go like this

https://i.imgur.com/G1TuCN7.mp4

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

But you can still afford doors that go like this

https://i.imgur.com/G1TuCN7.mp4

Yeah, but now I'm out of the Three Comma Club. Jesus, gently caress, that's depressing.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
"Why can't you assholes be on time for once, eh? Arms out, let's go."

Couldn't they have recorded even one alternate set of lines for that guy?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Presto posted:

"Why can't you assholes be on time for once, eh? Arms out, let's go."

Couldn't they have recorded even one alternate set of lines for that guy?

I just like to think of it as a groundhog day reference.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BitBasher posted:

I just like to think of it as a groundhog day reference.
I really wish there was a crossover between the writing in Westworld season 1 and this game cuz explaining how the park works leads to a lot of funny pieces of lore, and the NPCs being stuck to their loops like groundhog day is funny

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Some day, when you fly in, it’s gonna be El Rubio himself waiting for you. “Thought you could loving rob me again, did you?!” Rifle butt to the face, you wake up in the cage across from the panther, and English Dave is going to spring you and you have to escape.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Preechr posted:

Some day, when you fly in, it’s gonna be El Rubio himself waiting for you. “Thought you could loving rob me again, did you?!” Rifle butt to the face, you wake up in the cage across from the panther, and English Dave is going to spring you and you have to escape.

...And loot the place on the way out. Again.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Preechr posted:

Some day, when you fly in, it’s gonna be El Rubio himself waiting for you. “Thought you could loving rob me again, did you?!” Rifle butt to the face, you wake up ...

Thought this was going to end as "you wake up bound riding in a prisoner cart destined for Helgen" so consider me pleasantly surprised.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Preechr posted:

hell yeah that'd be incredible

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

In my groundhog's day I run up to the hardhat, but I get there too fast and have to walk away and then re-approach. The place varies, the guards change, but always it is the hardhat which taunts me.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

I have no idea what the hardhat is in this story. Is it a euphamism? A metaphor?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

no, its the hardhat

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

just an in game hardhat that you have to pick up but the real question is - is the hardhat accepting that you want to pick it up?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Real Control vibe going on here...

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Just got back into the game since it's on gamepass again and my friend group decides we want to do the Cayo heist. I'm the only one with sub money so I buy it and we expect to start the heist... I just gotta do this one little setup mission first.

IN THEORY.

In reality I spend about 2+ hours getting spotted at the tower or climbing up the tower because there's nowhere you can go on top of that hill where passing enemies won't immediately see you. then sometimes the enemy placement when you load in makes it so you can't even get to the drat tower. Then in the midst of all this, my xbox crashes and now I have to do this loving annoying party scene and everything over again.

It has been years since a game has gotten me this tilted by being a piece of poo poo. Who greenlit this first mission as a solo thing?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

zimbomonkey posted:

Just got back into the game since it's on gamepass again and my friend group decides we want to do the Cayo heist. I'm the only one with sub money so I buy it and we expect to start the heist... I just gotta do this one little setup mission first.

IN THEORY.

In reality I spend about 2+ hours getting spotted at the tower or climbing up the tower because there's nowhere you can go on top of that hill where passing enemies won't immediately see you. then sometimes the enemy placement when you load in makes it so you can't even get to the drat tower. Then in the midst of all this, my xbox crashes and now I have to do this loving annoying party scene and everything over again.

It has been years since a game has gotten me this tilted by being a piece of poo poo. Who greenlit this first mission as a solo thing?

It gets much, much easier after that first one. The first one is annoying.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It’s not a solo thing, you can bring friends. There were a bunch of bugs the first few days and my first run probably took me over 5 hours of constant fuckery and frustration.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

BitBasher posted:

Unless you're me. I can now scope the island quite well, even though I keep driving my motorcycle into the ocean and having to run cross-country to the tower.

But doing that actual heist solo? I have found DOZENS of innovative ways to mess it up. Shoot a pillar by the guards head? Check. Sneeze in real life, making me walk out in front of a patrol? Done it. Drive into a tree on the way out of the compound? Yep.

Four successful missions so far... thanks to about 40 blown ones.

Sometimes I wish you could just grab the secondary targets and call it a day.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Unless you're me. I can now scope the island quite well, even though I keep driving my motorcycle into the ocean and having to run cross-country to the tower.

But doing that actual heist solo? I have found DOZENS of innovative ways to mess it up. Shoot a pillar by the guards head? Check. Sneeze in real life, making me walk out in front of a patrol? Done it. Drive into a tree on the way out of the compound? Yep.

Four successful missions so far... thanks to about 40 blown ones.

Sometimes I wish you could just grab the secondary targets and call it a day.

If you scroll back in the thread I posted a video of a way to do it with zero shots on meaningfully moving targets and a pretty mellow difficulty level with a specific plan. Page 131, the more recent video is near the bottom.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

BitBasher posted:

If you scroll back in the thread I posted a video of a way to do it with zero shots on meaningfully moving targets and a pretty mellow difficulty level with a specific plan. Page 131, the more recent video is near the bottom.

Trust me, I’ve probably already watched it. I just seem to find unique ways to mess up in each attempt. Pre-Cayo I was the type of player constantly dropping grenades at his own feet in heists.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BitBasher posted:

annoying doesn't seem to cover it. as far as i can tell there's no way to stay out of sight on the hill, which means you need about a 2 minute window to get there and climb il the tower where no one looks at the hill at all.

besides, it'll be a while until i can sit through that long cutscene and dance party sequence at the beginning again.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Preechr posted:

It’s not a solo thing, you can bring friends. There were a bunch of bugs the first few days and my first run probably took me over 5 hours of constant fuckery and frustration.

the intro mission where you fly to the island and have to sneak away from the dance? afaik that's solo only. it never gave me a chance to invite my crew.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

the intro mission where you fly to the island and have to sneak away from the dance? afaik that's solo only. it never gave me a chance to invite my crew.

theres a chokepoint not far from the dance with cams dudes and a guard tower and a gate. i found that was the worst most finnicky spot. there is a gate directly underneath the cam there. u can sneak thru and into some bushes.

then u are faced with a guard tower and some roving patrols but the river there gives a blind spot and u can swim past the tower and up the river, past the tower. from there you can shrub hop to the radio tower and do the thing.

its weird and infuriating because other than in story mode you are never expected to be solid snake except for this one bit. even worse its mgs1 where i had to literally just dodge vision cones on the map

Preechr
May 19, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

It’s definitely something you can do with friends. Make sure you have them in your CEO or motorcycle club when you take the mission, and you can bring them with you.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Sleekly posted:

theres a chokepoint not far from the dance with cams dudes and a guard tower and a gate. i found that was the worst most finnicky spot. there is a gate directly underneath the cam there. u can sneak thru and into some bushes.

then u are faced with a guard tower and some roving patrols but the river there gives a blind spot and u can swim past the tower and up the river, past the tower. from there you can shrub hop to the radio tower and do the thing.

its weird and infuriating because other than in story mode you are never expected to be solid snake except for this one bit. even worse its mgs1 where i had to literally just dodge vision cones on the map

read further up. i get caught while climbing the tower. every. single. time.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

zimbomonkey posted:

read further up. i get caught while climbing the tower. every. single. time.

I swear I don't even remember that being a problem.

There should be a total of one single guard that patrols on foot between the tower and the road. Just wait till he is walking away and climb the tower. As soon as you are up the first ladder he can't see you. Or am I thinking of somehting totally different? The hard part is getting to the tower.

Also for all the other Cayo heists after the first one there is never a guard facing that tower.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Preechr posted:

It’s definitely something you can do with friends. Make sure you have them in your CEO or motorcycle club when you take the mission, and you can bring them with you.

No it’s definitely not. The very first time you ever visit Cato Perico you have to do a scout mission and it HAS to be solo. You can’t invite anyone with you on that first mission.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Forum Joe posted:

No it’s definitely not. The very first time you ever visit Cato Perico you have to do a scout mission and it HAS to be solo. You can’t invite anyone with you on that first mission.
Is it different on PC? Because here's a screenshot of the Rooster Teeth "Let's Play" crew scoping out Perico together:

EDIT: Also, pretty sure my first time on the island was a four-person scoping, with one guy modding and teleporting us all over the island.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I did the first scope-out with friends, music festival and all. Then I helped them do their first scope out, so I had to watch the cutscenes way too many times. They give friends that come with you delightfully ridiculous floral outfits, which I appreciated.
This was all on PC.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

My solo heist game skills are improving somewhat... got out undetected, with a full loot bag on my second attempt tonight. Did kind of over-estimate the me-concealing powers of the guard uniform, the first time.

Has taken me over $5 million, although I’ll probably blow some of that in something fun and pointless, like a Vigilante.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Vigilante is not fun and pointless its fun and awesome. No regrets on the batmobile

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Is it different on PC? Because here's a screenshot of the Rooster Teeth "Let's Play" crew scoping out Perico together:

All those gaming channels are scripted and planned in advance to get what they want on video.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Zesty posted:

All those gaming channels are scripted and planned in advance to get what they want on video.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, just posted that to show that, yes, you can scope in a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I know it's FiveM instead of GTA:O, but a few days ago I got whitelisted on the NoPixel RP server and have been having fun when I've gotten lucky enough to squeeze through the massive queue. I'm curious about how many goons are also into GTA RP?