Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

who is watching raw every week and then buying tickets to the upcoming live raw shows. its gotta be just the guys who carry around multiple replica belts and have the limited edition fiend merch, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Like 5 women have been fired since Eva got signed (none of which are Nia). We finally get to see if it was worth it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You know I thought nothing would touch Bray for the worst awards this year but hey look at WWE proving me wrong again

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The most disturbing thing about that Alexa/Lilly/Shayna segment are the camera cuts that break the 4th wall. Good god. Like, it's not just a bad idea, but they actively had to edit the thing to make it worse.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

who is watching raw every week and then buying tickets to the upcoming live raw shows. its gotta be just the guys who carry around multiple replica belts and have the limited edition fiend merch, right?

When you've made your entire personality "WWE Superfan", at what point do you start to reject it? Or all you just all in for life? These are the types of fans that buy commemorative piece of the mat from random episodes of Smackdown. I don't get it.

Are these super fans also attending AEW events? Like I remember green shirt guy only being at the first Dynamite episode and that was it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They camera cuts makes sense, they were multiple camera people in every room she entered

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Very bad show with a decent Cedric match and a decent Kofi match (starting to be a theme). I did laugh at the end stuff though. WWE should be remaking Hammer films with their wrestlers as stars.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Golden Bee posted:

They camera cuts makes sense, they were multiple camera people in every room she entered

As a video editor for the past 15 years, it really bugs me.

I was specifically referring to the shots Shayna stepping on the doll @ :40, where the are both high and low angles of the doll being stepped on. It just reeks of a client that has some stupid comment like "Why isn't there a close up of the doll!" and then you have to go back and shoot something to hide the cut, so you just do this awkward extreme close up of here foot that is not physically possible with the camera being there so close to cut out to the full ring a second later. Or the stuff at @ 1:23 to 1:27 where the camera is behind Shayna then in front of her and you don't see the camera behind her anymore. Because they needed to square up the camera and the entrance ramp for the pyro reveal.

https://streamable.com/k1wugq

It's like... something as simple as walking away from the ring that should be one take in a live event had a level of detail put into it that there were at least two additional takes that were cut in to make the final edit for Shayna walking up the ramp. And it's still horrible. And then someone saw that and went' That's the segment we ant to close out the show!" It just instantly loses the look and feel that the show is live as well, because it exposes that it isn't.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
How embarrassing.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Where is Slapjack

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NXT UK

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Blaise330 posted:

Where is Slapjack

Slapped back (to catering)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You either slap with the best or jack with the rest.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cerebral Bore posted:

You either slap with the best or jack with the rest.

wasn't that what Chris Benoit and Jamie Noble proposed doing in a hotel closet while Paul London had sex with a waitress?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This has probably been said before, but the Alexa+Lily vs Shayna stuff could be silly and fun.

Could be.

If they treated it as a silly little bit of spoopy nonsense. Wrestling has had a man who was friends with a pantomime riding horse, (Chavo and Pepe), and that poo poo ruled! But that ruled because everyone involved knew it was silly, and they did fun stuff with it.

But Spooky Alexa has been drawn out for so long with no sort of actual story, that it has lost it's novelty, and by taking it seriously as a legitimate paranormal storyline, it has lost it's fun.

Like, lets say Lily was still there as Alexa's imaginary friend. And Alexa was still doing her too much eye make up scary child thing. She could still have a feud with serious legitimate fighter Shayna, and Shayna could still get "heat" by calling the doll stupid. But instead of having the doll go all Shining on her, you should have had Lily turn her head, (magically or no), whisper to Alexa and Alexa saying something like "Yeah Lily, that was rude. We should teach ehr some manners in the ring." Bing bang boom. Feud set up between polarized opposite characters that want to fight, it leads to a match, AND if you want to believe in all the magic evil doll stuff, there is enough there for that. All wrapped up in a fun simple story.

WWE is exceptionally bad at the things it purports to be good at. It can't even do the things it is trying to do.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

That Lily poo poo is amazing (for all the wrong reasons) and I'm flabbergasted that they put that to end the show. Who is into this poo poo?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

So cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

imagine if they were jobbing Brock to the Fiend

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

This has probably been said before, but the Alexa+Lily vs Shayna stuff could be silly and fun.

Could be.

If they treated it as a silly little bit of spoopy nonsense. Wrestling has had a man who was friends with a pantomime riding horse, (Chavo and Pepe), and that poo poo ruled! But that ruled because everyone involved knew it was silly, and they did fun stuff with it.

But Spooky Alexa has been drawn out for so long with no sort of actual story, that it has lost it's novelty, and by taking it seriously as a legitimate paranormal storyline, it has lost it's fun.

Like, lets say Lily was still there as Alexa's imaginary friend. And Alexa was still doing her too much eye make up scary child thing. She could still have a feud with serious legitimate fighter Shayna, and Shayna could still get "heat" by calling the doll stupid. But instead of having the doll go all Shining on her, you should have had Lily turn her head, (magically or no), whisper to Alexa and Alexa saying something like "Yeah Lily, that was rude. We should teach ehr some manners in the ring." Bing bang boom. Feud set up between polarized opposite characters that want to fight, it leads to a match, AND if you want to believe in all the magic evil doll stuff, there is enough there for that. All wrapped up in a fun simple story.

WWE is exceptionally bad at the things it purports to be good at. It can't even do the things it is trying to do.

takes one to know one. fooling around with ya

bartok
May 10, 2006

Majinfoose posted:

That Lily poo poo is amazing (for all the wrong reasons) and I'm flabbergasted that they put that to end the show. Who is into this poo poo?

Alexa Bliss is the only star WWE has anymore. What’s left of the casual fanbase eats that poo poo up with a smile on their face.
I don’t get it but I stopped watching after the first KSA show.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

collocation posted:

I like books and like foreshadowing and symbolism and bullshit like that, but it's fuckin' wrestling, and he's an emo dork who kicks. It's not that serious.

arent you the person that made multiple threads cataloguing every microaggression you could find from raws that aired 20 years ago

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

My mental image of today's WWE fan is the creepiest and saddest dude. The kind of guys who bid thousands on women's used gear and stuff like that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Paper Lion posted:

arent you the person that made multiple threads cataloguing every microaggression you could find from raws that aired 20 years ago

lol

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BrigadierSensible posted:

Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Reminder: There is an NXT Takeover this weekend.

WWE is doing a way worse job than usual advertising this one, probably because the match card sucks and is ultimately predictable.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 8, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Are they just cramming in this horrible Alexa stuff because they know none of it will work in front of a live crowd?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

DarkstarIV posted:

Reminder: There is an NXT Takeover this weekend.

WWE is doing a way worse job than usual advertising this one, probably because the match card sucks and is ultimately predictable.

I think they had one small video of Scarlett talking about it and Graves mentioned it?

Guess it's just too hard to make a small graphic to appear throughout the whole show reminding people.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are they just cramming in this horrible Alexa stuff because they know none of it will work in front of a live crowd?

they're cramming it in because it pops the geriatric dumbass who makes all of the decisions

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Digital Jedi posted:

I think they had one small video of Scarlett talking about it and Graves mentioned it?

Guess it's just too hard to make a small graphic to appear throughout the whole show reminding people.

Possibly. But I think this is probably the least advertised/hyped NXT Takeover I can remember. A combination of the storylines being awful, not to mention the top two champions being absolutely massive steps down from the previous title holders is a problem.

I'm also looking at the women's divisions across all of WWE right now, and I don't think it's ever really been lower since the "Evolution" started than it is now. You have dumb as hell supernatural stuff that isn't getting over in the RAW scene, along with the top two women feuding over the title being completely idiotic on top of both being shithead unlikable heels. That's putting aside the fact that WWE seems more fascinated with putting the spotlight on Reginald.

Smackdown's division has a whopping 7 women right now, and Bianca's reign has already run out of gas a result because they made the mistake of having her completely run over the entire division before winning the title. She has zero credible contenders until Sasha returns, and even then no matter who wins, they have no one left to face really.

NXT's division is awful because Raquel is Shayna 2.0 (except worse in every aspect) and isn't getting over with viewers, not to mention they keep flip flopping on how they want her to be perceived. Two weeks ago she was supposed to be the "biggest badass in NXT" and now she's a massive chickenshit heel who can't get anything done without Dakota helping her. And then you have the women's tag champs who have literally no teams to feud with because they are either complete jobbers (Kacy/Kayden) or tied up with other things (Ember/Shotzi).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
remember when the horsewomen vs the horsewomen was going to be a thing and now shayna is playing with a doll

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Raskolnikov38 posted:

remember when the horsewomen vs the horsewomen was going to be a thing and now shayna is playing with a doll

I'll be fair here about the horsewomen vs horsewomen thing with WWE. Marina and Jessamyn are not good. At all. Like if you can't get carried to an even remotely passable match by Kairi and Io, something is fundamentally wrong. Marina especially had a case of two left feet in the ring.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
NXT had a years long lead on AEW in having the best Women's Division in North America and blew it pretty fast.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wouldn't be shocked at all if NXT gets shuttered in the next year or two

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Whenever the USA contract is up, if they don't re-up, it's done.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

wouldn't be shocked at all if NXT gets shuttered in the next year or two
It's doubtful, it'll just serve the same purpose as Nu-ECW did and USA are probably totally fine with the ratings that comes with it. Unless Nick Khan cuts another 50 people soon they've got to do something with their still, hugely inflated roster and tons of trainees (Unless they trick Gabe into running Evolve for free)

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

RealFoxy posted:

NXT had a years long lead on AEW in having the best Women's Division in North America and blew it pretty fast.

It's like...putting the title on Raquel who is bland as gently caress and the most corporate champion in all of WWE outside of maybe like...Kross is a bad idea! For all the faults NXT has, Io Shirai and Finn Balor felt legitimately interesting and worth watching (as both of them had direct input into their characters and as a result felt leagues above every other performer). I can't say the same for Raquel or Kross who come across as the most corporate choice champions. And so far she's been a complete failure both from an interest and viewership perspective. Same goes for Kross.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

It's funny how many times this company recreates the HBK/Diesel dynamic and then goes, "okay this time when we push our Diesel it will work". The more things change, the more they stay the same.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Do not even ask posted:

It's funny how many times this company recreates the HBK/Diesel dynamic and then goes, "okay this time when we push our Diesel it will work". The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Like I'm pretty sure the only people in the company who have actively talked up Raquel are Road Dogg, Triple H, HBK, and...Braun Strowman (although to be fair, he's no longer with the company).

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

Last year's SummerSlam was when I gave up on WWE

Three strange things in retrospect about that show:

- Fiend/Braun was the main event, man, 2020 WWE was almost as dire as 2021 WWE!
- Fiend won the title for some reason to hold it for just a week, because
- They decided to bring back Roman, now a heel, for a feud between two, uh, other heels, which resulted in him entering the feud, taking the belt, and immediately leaving the feud

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

D.N. Nation posted:

Three strange things in retrospect about that show:

- Fiend/Braun was the main event, man, 2020 WWE was almost as dire as 2021 WWE!
- Fiend won the title for some reason to hold it for just a week, because
- They decided to bring back Roman, now a heel, for a feud between two, uh, other heels, which resulted in him entering the feud, taking the belt, and immediately leaving the feud

Hey now, rumors are that Roman didn't want to feud with The Fiend, which if true, makes him the smartest wrestler in the company right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DarkstarIV posted:

Hey now, rumors are that Roman didn't want to feud with The Fiend, which if true, makes him the smartest wrestler in the company right now.

Absolutely