Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

xtal posted:

Neil probably said that quote at one point

I'd believe it, ain't it funny how things line up sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Reddit aetheists are insufferable but religion is pretty bad overall IMO.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Elderbean posted:

Reddit aetheists are insufferable but religion is pretty bad overall IMO.

TBH there's a lot of grey area here because people tend to be either heavily religious or not religious at all and pretend the other side doesn't exist as hard as they can manage it. I'm more atheist than anything else but I find religious history to be really fascinating, and there's a lot of depth to the church (and other churches/religious authorities) as a political body that non-religious people tend to dismiss outright.

Believe what they believe or not, the historical significance of the people involved in the world's assorted religions is enormous and largely ignored by the average person.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
i remember my angry atheist phase as a teenager. i thought i had grown out of it. i've realized that it wasn't really that, it's that i moved to the city, and eventually out of america.

these days i don't really need to care about religion too much because people keep it to themselves for the most part. but i've recently been back to my old home town in rural wisconsin, and my urge to burn down some churches has been coming back.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

okay, varg

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Workaday Wizard posted:

Religion is a crime against humanity and everyone perpetuating is is a piece of poo poo. gently caress you.

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

All kidding aside I fail to see how me believing in god and going to a progressive church that does a lot of LGBT charity stuff and BLM protests negatively hurts you or anyone else at all. :shrug:

Workaday Wizard posted:

Facts are facts :shrug:

Ah yes, "FACTS"*

*one online randos opinion lol :jerkbag:

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Flannelette posted:

I''ll settle for just unilaterally banning any kind of religious indoctrination of children.

end religion within one generation with this weird trick

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

Oh no the Reddit is coming from inside the house!!

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Reddit: the Reddit is coming from inside the house

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

low key sex master posted:

Yesssss 2001 internet is BACK baby!

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Workaday Wizard posted:

In religious societies there is always the implication that if you don't follow the "correct" thought you will be expelled from society. They may not say such thing outright. But it is there. So your only option is to wear a mask your whole life. Try not being able to tell your own mother and father your thoughts. Hiding your opinion from your brothers. Acting in front of your coworkers. It's the severing of human connection. It's hell.

Which also accurately describes non-religious societies. Every socially-functioning person has thoughts and opinions that they keep to themselves and from their families for the sake of getting on with their lives, because they value their relationships more than being unfiltered 24/7.

But the notion that people are lying to each other when they compliment bad haircuts was pretty mindblowing to me too, when I was 16.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

je1 healthcare posted:

But the notion that people are lying to each other when they compliment bad haircuts was pretty mindblowing to me too, when I was 16.

Same. I remember being real mad for a while when I noticed my mom used one "voice" to answer the phone and then would switch to something completely different once she knew who was calling. Lies. Deception. Why do people pretend to be like a secretary or something when they answer the phone? :mad:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Same. I remember being real mad for a while when I noticed my mom used one "voice" to answer the phone and then would switch to something completely different once she knew who was calling. Lies. Deception. Why do people pretend to be like a secretary or something when they answer the phone? :mad:

I don't ever sound like a secretary (or at least I don't think I do) but I definitely disguise my voice whenever I can. gently caress being recorded in my actual voice.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i simply do not answer the telephone

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I know I'm a page late on the spherical earth chat but I had a fun moment when I'd done some helicopter photography - we were at 1200ft, exactly in line with the roof of a known building. in the background of my photograph was a building around 800ft high - and behind that the horizon of the ocean, but the roof of the 800ft building was comfortably well above the horizon. Looked wrong until we realised we were seeing the curve of the earth.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Jamie Faith posted:

All kidding aside I fail to see how me believing in god and going to a progressive church that does a lot of LGBT charity stuff and BLM protests negatively hurts you or anyone else at all. :shrug:

it's an exaggeration but this kinda sounds like "yeah I know nazis did bad things in the past and went too far sometimes but their core ideology isn't that bad, I'm part of a group that does jewish charity and minority outreach programs so I fail to see how validating and perpetrating their beliefs hurts you or anyone else"

the history of mankind is built on countless religion-driven (or passed off as such) atrocities and despite all the bullshit talk about coexistence the concept of religion is "my god and fellow believers are the only right ones, sucks to be you but let's pretend that our belief systems and dogmas aren't mutually exclusive and also that we didn't spend centuries slaughtering, pillaging and raping each other for bullshit reasons"

do you need a church to not hate gay people and non-whites?

I hate that religion is so deeply rooted in our societies that pointing this stuff out usually prompts the typical "but think of all the good that we did! we wouldn't have gotten this far without it! without religion there's no morality!" which actively ignores every single horrifying thing that's been done and is still being done

if you want to believe in gods it's your choice but my opinion is that validating the existence of organized religion after everything we've been through because of it is an incredibly dumb thing to do and I hope it dies off quietly

I have a feeling that Jesus was just a chill and charismatic guy who thought that he could steer this whole religion mess into a better direction by exploiting how gullible everyone was, joke's on him I guess lol (and on us)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

furry avatar + atheism = powerful internet energy

necroid
May 14, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

furry avatar + atheism = powerful internet energy

sorry but my avatar's been changed multiple times by the furries in the deviantart thread because I had the audacity of asking them not to swap their jerk-off material in that thread

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

necroid posted:

it's an exaggeration but this kinda sounds like "yeah I know nazis did bad things in the past and went too far sometimes but their core ideology isn't that bad, I'm part of a group that does jewish charity and minority outreach programs so I fail to see how validating and perpetrating their beliefs hurts you or anyone else"

the history of mankind is built on countless religion-driven (or passed off as such) atrocities and despite all the bullshit talk about coexistence the concept of religion is "my god and fellow believers are the only right ones, sucks to be you but let's pretend that our belief systems and dogmas aren't mutually exclusive and also that we didn't spend centuries slaughtering, pillaging and raping each other for bullshit reasons"

do you need a church to not hate gay people and non-whites?

I hate that religion is so deeply rooted in our societies that pointing this stuff out usually prompts the typical "but think of all the good that we did! we wouldn't have gotten this far without it! without religion there's no morality!" which actively ignores every single horrifying thing that's been done and is still being done

if you want to believe in gods it's your choice but my opinion is that validating the existence of organized religion after everything we've been through because of it is an incredibly dumb thing to do and I hope it dies off quietly

I have a feeling that Jesus was just a chill and charismatic guy who thought that he could steer this whole religion mess into a better direction by exploiting how gullible everyone was, joke's on him I guess lol (and on us)

i think it's fair to say that if religion never existed just as much horrible poo poo would've still happened, just under another banner. humanity has a well documented history of being utterly terrible regardless of whether or not they believe in a god.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
In-group out-group thinking is the curse of humanity and atheistic ideologies are just as capable of driving people to evil. Look at what capitalism is doing to us all now.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
this thread used to be cool and now it's "local idiot loudly and repeatedly insists that the way human beings act like jerks in a society is caused by the concept of religion, rather than the concept of religion being a thing humans invented to justify behaving like jerks in a society"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Religion, politics, and culture are intertwined. Yes, people start wars in the name of religion, but it isn't like countries that have the same official religion never engage in wars or genocides with each other. I've played enough CKII to know that if you want your neighbour's stuff you can always come up with an excuse for war.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

necroid posted:

sorry but my avatar's been changed multiple times by the furries in the deviantart thread because I had the audacity of asking them not to swap their jerk-off material in that thread

oh thats fair enough, that tiger guy really ruined that thread

necroid
May 14, 2009

Theophany posted:

i think it's fair to say that if religion never existed just as much horrible poo poo would've still happened, just under another banner. humanity has a well documented history of being utterly terrible regardless of whether or not they believe in a god.

HopperUK posted:

In-group out-group thinking is the curse of humanity and atheistic ideologies are just as capable of driving people to evil. Look at what capitalism is doing to us all now.

please don't misunderstand me, it'd be incredibly stupid of me to think and to say that without religion this world would be perfect or better. after all human nature has animal roots and deep down we tend to be driven by fear, survival instincts and opportunism when nobody's judging us or when we simply break down under stress : just look at how cruel and uncaring nature is. many idiots like to point that out to say that life's just unfair and also to justify idiotic stuff like survival of the fittest (like capitalism).

but our whole history is dedicated to changing the laws of nature in order to improve our lives and to me that means that we should also get rid of all of this divisive, selfish survival of the fittest bullshit and embrace humanity undivided through empathy and awareness.

I'm saying that by now we have more than enough evidence that maybe we should try to build a new, common neutral ground in all of our societies, not based on religion. it's an incredibly complex thing to do because our societies are built upon these beliefs, and we have consolidated them in culture and tradition whether you actually believe in them or not.

that's why I always stress the importance of keeping an historical record of religion, it's stupid to try to erase it completely from our lives : it needs to be preserved, taught and understood just like everything else in our past, but from an objective point of view, just like when we discuss societies like ancient Egypt or Greece or even further back

I hope it's clear that all this disgust isn't caused by pubescent edgy internet atheism, it's born of the infinite sadness of seeing what we have done throughout history

necroid
May 14, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

this thread used to be cool and now it's "local idiot loudly and repeatedly insists that the way human beings act like jerks in a society is caused by the concept of religion, rather than the concept of religion being a thing humans invented to justify behaving like jerks in a society"

hey rear end in a top hat I was trying to have a nice discussion here, don't go around calling people idiots

nice reading comprehension btw

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's seriously baffling to me how a bunch of left leaning forumers are making excuses for Christianity of all things, give me a fuckin break. I guess even goons fall for enlightened centrism bullshit

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's just a recent fad and everyone regurgitates the same posts, like did a popular kid post something about it or what? it's it really just not wanting to look like one of the uncool Reddit dorks? how can you reconcile all the horrible poo poo churches everywhere do? if it was any other organisation, y'all would be dog piling anyone who defended it for brownie points

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

pull up, thread. pull up.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is it time for the scheduled self-immolation that all mock threads go through?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

SirSamVimes posted:

Is it time for the scheduled self-immolation that all mock threads go through?

It's pretty inevitable tbh

One person comes in guns blazing which causes more to come in and then it's a flood and the thread turns into America except no one gets shot for once

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

hawowanlawow posted:

it's just a recent fad and everyone regurgitates the same posts, like did a popular kid post something about it or what? it's it really just not wanting to look like one of the uncool Reddit dorks? how can you reconcile all the horrible poo poo churches everywhere do? if it was any other organisation, y'all would be dog piling anyone who defended it for brownie points

You see, religion is bad, but saying it out loud is being a redditor, which is basically just as bad

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Having strong opinions online is basically the worst thing that you can be doing

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

necroid
May 14, 2009

lmao now this is what I'd call an idiot

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Let's bury the religion hatchet, it seems to ended somewhat civilly and that's rare enough

Post more dumb Reddit poo poo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

but what if jesus was anime?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

but what if jesus was anime?

Apparently it exists as both an anime and a manga!

https://myanimelist.net/anime/15775/Saint%E2%98%86Oniisan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
What about hentai? Some people are really horny for Jesus.