Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

RFC2324 posted:

my childhood church explained creationism, or the logic that allowed that, as being that satan planted a bunch of very convincing evidence of evolution to trick people. worth noting that it was explained as a silly belief because 7 days obviously wasn't 7 literal days, and once you accept that it makes sense to accept that god guides evolution.

the anti-science religious nuts annoy me so much because there is no need

The devil's greatest trick was convincing the world he didn't exist

There. That's all you need to know why people believe this poo poo

EDIT: I will say for the record I'm christian but I absolutely understand why people are leaving religion behind all together when I look at this poo poo

God created a universe of wonder and exploration. If you deny science you deny God's works imo. We're meant to be constantly questioning how the universe works but when we generally agree on a set of principles it's like... Just because the Bible doesn't say that the earth is round doesn't mean it isn't. Evolution and the Big Bang happened. I mean... It's undeniable proof!!

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
made the mistake of browsing /r/all

loli comic guy had a loli comic with full frontal hit r/all

why are people

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, not sure this is the recommendation those of us in that sub are really looking for.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, not sure this is the recommendation those of us in that sub are really looking for.

Lmao owned by Reddit

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dabir posted:

I mean. maybe not the cannibalism, but

I'm just saying this one seems more plausible than the others

Well, yeah, but that's one of the foundational conspiracies of Qanon so, uh, enjoy your new Frank account I guess.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

why do you think I always found it so weird that everyone talked about a church that didn't teach them to actually question things? it took me years to really wrap my head around southern baptists

it was a methodist church full of teachers. it had its downsides, but stifling a desire to learn wasn't one

If you dare to question at southern Baptist gatherings you get very unpopular at Sunday school. Ask me how I know. I wasn't even trying to be contrarian.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

low key sex master posted:

EDIT: I will say for the record I'm christian but I absolutely understand why people are leaving religion behind all together when I look at this poo poo

God created a universe of wonder and exploration. If you deny science you deny God's works imo. We're meant to be constantly questioning how the universe works but when we generally agree on a set of principles it's like... Just because the Bible doesn't say that the earth is round doesn't mean it isn't. Evolution and the Big Bang happened. I mean... It's undeniable proof!!

Yeah, I'm quite religious too and I agree with everything you just said :)

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

I’m not Christian, hell until a few years ago I considered myself an atheist, but I can’t find anything to disagree with here.

necroid
May 14, 2009

even more infuriating, think how unbelievably complex, immeasurable and unknowable a creator entity capable of giving birth to the entire universe would be

then think if they really would be out there constantly checking if you're touching your weiner or if your wife doesn't wear a headcover or if you're mixing meat and milk

the anthropomorphization of a creator entity into a petty controlling bitch sounds so loving ridiculous when you stop to think about it, and it'd be funnier if it hadn't meant thousands of years of religion-driven wars and atrocities all over the planet

the natural death of all religions and religious thought can't come soon enough

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm a cradle Catholic and one of the weird things I realised as I've learned more over the years is just how different that experience can be depending on where you are, what the schooling was like, what your priest is like etc. My schooling was very progressive and critical and questioning was encouraged, and I've had good talks with several priests about my bisexuality. And then in some places the Church is like the worst nightmare of a medieval institution. Also the tradcaths. And the converts! Converts worry a lot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

necroid posted:

lol

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

necroid posted:

I was on this train until the first time I did acid and now as long as folks decentralize their belief's power structure and chill the gently caress out and don't negatively impact others I don't really care what they believe

e: VVVVVVVVVVVV yes

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 7, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I''ll settle for just unilaterally banning any kind of religious indoctrination of children.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
People can think and believe what they want, so long as we murder God.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Willatron posted:

People can think and believe what they want, so long as we murder God.

:hfive: I'll bring the rope

necroid
May 14, 2009

zgrowler2 posted:

I was on this train until the first time I did acid and now as long as folks decentralize their belief's power structure and chill the gently caress out and don't negatively impact others I don't really care what they believe

I'm not saying that mankind needs to become a society of robot-like atheist automatons overnight, what I'm saying is that I think that there is a better, more neutral way to teach empathy and sympathy without appealing to any kind of religious thought, and also without saying "your empathy and sympathy are for your fellow believers only, the rest are fair game"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

what I despise is the fact that religion has always been a very natural and very primitive way to make sense of the unknown natural world, but thanks to the fact that we're petty animals at heart it quickly and invariably gets turned into a malicious power structure meant to herd and guide masses through mysterious voices and directives from above (hint : not really from above). I recognise its purpose in shaping what we are through thousands of years of strife, just like every experience through childhood and adolescence builds the core of the adult, but maybe it's time to downgrade religions to the status of vestigial traditions, to be taught and preserved as part of our history and sort of like cautionary tales?

the thing I despise the most is that every (e : not every because I don't know too many in depth, but the big 3 monotheistic ones for sure) religion gives plenty of ways to shift personal responsibility and accountability (I can always pray for forgiveness, it's written here so it's right and not immoral, etc.), which is a very childish thing to do and extremely dangerous when it starts controlling non-childish things like the human experience at huge economic, social, political and temporal scales

just be a better, kinder and more understanding person ffs, you don't need religion to do that

necroid fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 7, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

zgrowler2 posted:

This is what I practice and believe too

Believe what you want or don't believe what you want - as long as it doesn't impact me or others I don't give a poo poo

or if you insist you're right because really, no one's right and we're going to find out when we die God is a sentient mass of dark matter and we're forced to post in the TV/IV Star Trek thread for eternity as punishment for our sins, which honestly sounds worse than hell to me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I'm laughig that you think religious thinking is going anywhere

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

necroid posted:

I'm not saying that mankind needs to become a society of robot-like atheist automatons overnight, what I'm saying is that I think that there is a better, more neutral way to teach empathy and sympathy without appealing to any kind of religious thought, and also without saying "your empathy and sympathy are for your fellow believers only, the rest are fair game"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

what I despise is the fact that religion has always been a very natural and very primitive way to make sense of the unknown natural world, but thanks to the fact that we're petty animals at heart it quickly and invariably gets turned into a malicious power structure meant to herd and guide masses through mysterious voices and directives from above (hint : not really from above). I recognise its purpose in shaping what we are through thousands of years of strife, just like every experience through childhood and adolescence builds the core of the adult, but maybe it's time to downgrade religions to the status of vestigial traditions, to be taught and preserved as part of our history and sort of like cautionary tales?

the thing I despise the most is that every religion gives plenty of ways to shift personal responsibility and accountability (I can always pray for forgiveness, it's written here so it's right and not immoral, etc.), which is a very childish thing to do and extremely dangerous when it starts controlling non-childish things like the human experience at huge economic, social, political and temporal scales

just be a better, kinder and more understanding person ffs, you don't need religion to do that

quality post, thank you for clarifying

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
We ultimately don't know anything, this could all just be a joke by a god or maybe we're stuck in a simulation or there's no greater perspective to anything. I'm siding with the folk who say "believe wahtever you want, just don't bother others with it."

Just don't be an rear end about your beliefs. Unfortunately people are only human so they gotta be cunts about everythin

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

zgrowler2 posted:

Same here lol

Flannelette posted:

I''ll settle for just unilaterally banning any kind of religious indoctrination of children.

Yes, 100%.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm starting to think we should give acid to children to inoculate them against indoctrination of any variety.

holy poo poo can you imagine all the children on earth being on an acid trip at once, just being completely loco?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

I'm starting to think we should give acid to children to inoculate them against indoctrination of any variety.

holy poo poo can you imagine all the children on earth being on an acid trip at once, just being completely loco?

Someone's got admin aspirations

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Children are already tripping balls, they don't need drugs to reach that state of pure wonder and joy like us miserable, broken adults.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Biplane posted:

Children are already tripping balls, they don't need drugs to reach that state of pure wonder and joy like us miserable, broken adults.

broke: college straight out of HS
woke: gap year straight out of HS
bespoke: gap year straight out of HS involving a trip to an ayahuasca center

gotta kill the brainworms early

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well, yeah, but that's one of the foundational conspiracies of Qanon so, uh, enjoy your new Frank account I guess.

Clearly Qanon are nuts, but it's undeniable that there's a long history in the west of power structures protecting rich and powerful pedophiles by refusing to do anything about them. Even beyond Epstein, look at Jimmy Saville and Cyril Smith in the UK. Look at the weird poo poo around Larry King (not that one) in the US. Look at the perennial acceptance movements like NAMBLA and the PIE in the British parliament and recently the way they're trying to redefine themselves as "Minor-Attracted Persons". poo poo, in a civilised world Reddit would have been burned to the ground and the earth beneath it salted years ago for the r/jailbait thing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

zgrowler2 posted:

broke: college straight out of HS
woke: gap year straight out of HS
bespoke: gap year straight out of HS involving a trip to an ayahuasca center

gotta kill the brainworms early

i'm in full agreement here.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

You have my axe

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dabir posted:

Clearly Qanon are nuts, but it's undeniable that there's a long history in the west of power structures protecting rich and powerful pedophiles by refusing to do anything about them. Even beyond Epstein, look at Jimmy Saville and Cyril Smith in the UK. Look at the weird poo poo around Larry King (not that one) in the US. Look at the perennial acceptance movements like NAMBLA and the PIE in the British parliament and recently the way they're trying to redefine themselves as "Minor-Attracted Persons". poo poo, in a civilised world Reddit would have been burned to the ground and the earth beneath it salted years ago for the r/jailbait thing.

I don't disagree but they aren't protected because they're pedophiles but because they're powerful. I'm sure just as many are regular ol rapists and domestic violence types, but society is fundamentally tolerant of those crimes (even if the perpetrator is poor!)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't disagree but they aren't protected because they're pedophiles but because they're powerful. I'm sure just as many are regular ol rapists and domestic violence types, but society is fundamentally tolerant of those crimes (even if the perpetrator is poor!)

Well yes, but does it make a material difference why they're protected?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Religion is a crime against humanity and everyone perpetuating is is a piece of poo poo. gently caress you.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Oh no the Reddit is coming from inside the house!!

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Workaday Wizard posted:

Religion is a crime against humanity and everyone perpetuating is is a piece of poo poo. gently caress you.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Colonel Cancer posted:

Oh no the Reddit is coming from inside the house!!

Ironically your reply is the real reddit poo poo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

plz have enough sense of decorum to pretend religion isn't bad

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
In religious societies there is always the implication that if you don't follow the "correct" thought you will be expelled from society. They may not say such thing outright. But it is there. So your only option is to wear a mask your whole life. Try not being able to tell your own mother and father your thoughts. Hiding your opinion from your brothers. Acting in front of your coworkers. It's the severing of human connection. It's hell.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

I'm genuinely sorry that happened to you but I feel like it's important to point out that group think and tribalism are not exclusive to religion and people have been and are gonna be lovely about nonconformity to societal norms until the end of time whether or not a sky daddy is involved hth

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Workaday Wizard posted:

Yesssss 2001 internet is BACK baby!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Yesssss 2001 internet is BACK baby!

Facts are facts :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy