Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

I got to register for dose 1 a couple of days ago and you know I was there at 5 a.m. and have been hitting :f5: a lot ever since. Depending on where you are, turnaround can be very quick. Cork City seems to be the place to be for the fastest dosing. I've seen multiple people reporting that they registered on say, Wednesday this week and got their appointment for this Saturday.

Little update: I registered on 02/06, I got the update on 07/06 and my appointment is for 10/06 at Shoreline in Greystones - so the turnaround is pretty speedy in Bray too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pookah posted:

Little update: I registered on 02/06, I got the update on 07/06 and my appointment is for 10/06 at Shoreline in Greystones - so the turnaround is pretty speedy in Bray too :)

How are you registering?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shoehead posted:

How are you registering?

Via the HSE portal - https://vaccine3.hse.ie/s/login/SelfRegister

It's still on 40+ but it'll hopefully move to 35+ in the next week or so - it seems to take a couple of weeks after each age group opens up for the next to open. Also, Ive heard online that getting the update texts can be a bit hit or miss so once you get registered, it's a good idea to log back in every day to check for updates.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 8, 2021

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I tried registering and they told me that someone else was registered using my pps and now i have to wait until they investigate it even though it was probably some old typing in the wrong number.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pookah posted:

Via the HSE portal - https://vaccine3.hse.ie/s/login/SelfRegister

It's still on 40+ but it'll hopefully move to 35+ in the next week or so - it seems to take a couple of weeks after each age group opens up for the next to open. Also, Ive heard online that getting the update texts can be a bit hit or miss so once you get registered, it's a good idea to log back in every day to check for updates.

GD I'm only 33, hurry up HSE

(I will keep that link handy though, thanks)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

so Paul Givan seems like a bit of a shithead, lmao @ the possibility of things improving for NI then

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Givan is probably the biggest eat poo poo option going, he's p despised for his decision as communities minister to cancel the lìofa gaeltacht bursary scheme which was probably one of the biggest triggers for the last assembly collapse. It usually gets blamed entirely on cash for ash but SF kind of fumbled their reaction to that and it was public outrage among their supporters over the lìofa scheme being done away with leveraged by an dream dearg into a wider movement over the failure to secure an Irish language act that really lit the fire under SF to pull out (and became the crux of their subsequent assembly campaign).

He still needs confirmed after Foster tenders her resignation and there was some mumbled talk of an early election if SF decide that Givan is too toxic and they refuse to nominate a deputy candidate. Seems unlikely though, Poots went out of his way to reiterate the DUP are still committed to Irish language legislation of some description as previously negotiated so it's likely Givan will be allowed to assume his position - though he's definitely not a popular pick for nationalists.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shoehead posted:

GD I'm only 33, hurry up HSE

(I will keep that link handy though, thanks)

No problem, hope it keeps moving on p. quickly. There's some comfort in knowing the vast, vast majority of people 50+ are at least partly vaccinated are are hopefully less likely to be able to spread covid :unsmith:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Apparently 30-39 open next week

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wait, the entire decade... Its going to be a nightmare to book.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All you young cunts (≤35) can kiss my piss, I'm taking 10 jabs and you can't stop me

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anyone super antsy should try calling their GP on Friday mornings. Mine had so many no-shows and cancellations that they just started calling patients alphabetically. The 20-something kid next door to me got in sometime in April thanks to this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Biden arrives with demand that UK settle Brexit row over Northern Ireland

quote:

Senior US embassy diplomats in London, backed by the US national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, have directly warned the UK’s Brexit negotiator, Lord Frost, that he will inflame tensions in Northern Ireland if he does not compromise over border checks.

A meeting between the US charge d’affaires Yael Lampert, currently America’s most senior diplomat in London, and Frost led to an urging by the US for Britain to come to a negotiated settlement with the EU, according to an internal UK government note.

However, US officials questioned whether a formal demarche had been issued by the US to the UK, a rare reprimand between two such close allies. The US has said its role was to urge compromise from all sides.

Sullivan told a briefing on Air Force One before Joe Biden landed in the UK on Wednesday evening: “Any steps that imperil or undermine the Good Friday agreement will not be welcomed by the US.”

He declined to say if this is what he thought Boris Johnson was doing, adding: “The president was not issuing threats or ultimatum … [he] has been crystal clear about his rock solid belief in the Good Friday agreement as the foundation for peaceful coexistence in Northern Ireland. The agreement must be protected.”

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arquinsiel posted:

Anyone super antsy should try calling their GP on Friday mornings. Mine had so many no-shows and cancellations that they just started calling patients alphabetically. The 20-something kid next door to me got in sometime in April thanks to this.

Happened to our apprentice in work. Lazy do-nothing Gen-X can't even show up for their jabs smdh

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://twitter.com/ReadaCronin/status/1402912858367840256

State of journalism in this country with all the journalists outraged yesterday and aghast that SF carried out political polls. So many of them were definitive in claiming it's not standard practice look like eejits this morning.

Suppose that's what happens when journalists are hired on the basis of which politician is their relative.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Marenghi posted:

https://twitter.com/ReadaCronin/status/1402912858367840256

State of journalism in this country with all the journalists outraged yesterday and aghast that SF carried out political polls. So many of them were definitive in claiming it's not standard practice look like eejits this morning.

Suppose that's what happens when journalists are hired on the basis of which politician is their relative.

Carried out political polls? SF created a fake polling organization, issued their volunteers fake badges, and told people on doorsteps they were from this fake organization - not SF. Its highly disingenuous to all that "carrying out political polls".

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

How is it a fake polling company? How are the badges fake?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Because they claim to be badges from "an independent organization that is dedicated to the compiling of accurate political and social information in Ireland". For an organization that doesn't exist.

Its attempting to represent the people carrying out the polls as being from a fake organization, in an effort to mask who was actually gathering the information. When the people doing so were actually SF members, doing official party business, on orders from headquarters.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

That's standard practice for every political party, though. You may think it is immoral, but there is honestly little wrong with it. They aren't collecting any personal information beyond opinions, so there is no real concern of data being used incorrectly or hijacked.

You also cannot just go to someone's door or call them up and say "Hi, I am from Sinn Fein/Fianna Fail/Fine Gael and I am doing an opinion poll" because you are just going to get completely biased opinions straight off the bat. You are putting yourself at risk of getting completely trash data. I worked in a polling place and we were not able to give out the name of the company who we were polling for - political party or institution, it did not matter - until the end of the call because of how it influenced people's answers.

Regardless, this is a complete non-scandal and it is astonishing how many so-called political journalists have run with the story. Literally every major party does this, and the minor parties would absolutely do it also if they had access to the resources. This isn't even a uniquely Irish thing! It is universal widespread practice!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Blut posted:

Because they claim to be badges from "an independent organization that is dedicated to the compiling of accurate political and social information in Ireland". For an organization that doesn't exist.

And fine Gael printed fake business cards to do internal polling and I doubt it's much different for the others.

It's a big hullabaloo about nothing in my opinion. People are acting like there's an ethical difference between polling for yourself pretending to be a company versus paying for a company to poll for you. Materially there's no difference IMO.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Lmao anytime sinn fein does anything. Media reaction is straight out of the tory playbook.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Personally I think inventing a fictious independent market research company to cover private polling is a bit dodgy, the fact everyone was clearly at it doesn't really make it grand.

Considering the amount of indirect political campaigning you can do through leading structured questions it could border on concealing doorstepping through misrepresentation. At least nominally private companies are meant to adhere to industry guidelines to avoid explicitly plugging viewpoints (how much they do so again a bit unknown with private polling) but with the Totally Real Not Fine Gael Board of Market Researchers who would really like to hear your opinions on this quote from the local SF candidate we found on twitter it's not even remotely accountable.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I think it's grand actually, if you can be effectively propagandised via push-polling you're probably a slug anyway

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The funny part of all this is the media we're doing this because they had evidence it was SF doing so. And they thought "we can use this to bring back up that whole polling database story from a few weeks ago* and really get the boot in."

But then it turns out that publishing the story just made every political party tug their collars and say "we all do it. So we won't really comment."

* = The electoral database thing is funny. From my understanding all the big parties, basically do have pretty accurate electoral databases they have built up organically though participating and monitoring elections from the last 70 plus years.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's a little shady, but all the other parties scrambling to spill the beans before someone else spilled them first is pretty :allears:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I suppose I hadn't thought of the parties using their secret polling as an opportunity to bad mouth the opposition.

In that instance I can see it being big problem.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news...d-40526102.html

So Leo used a fake polling company with fake business cards for his re-election bid.

He also stiffed them on their payment.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Marenghi posted:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news...d-40526102.html

So Leo used a fake polling company with fake business cards for his re-election bid.

He also stiffed them on their payment.

Leader of FG used this One Weird Trick he learnt off Donald Trunp, polling companies hate him.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Marenghi posted:

And fine Gael printed fake business cards to do internal polling and I doubt it's much different for the others.

It's a big hullabaloo about nothing in my opinion. People are acting like there's an ethical difference between polling for yourself pretending to be a company versus paying for a company to poll for you. Materially there's no difference IMO.

Labour, the SocDems, PBP etc... lots of parties haven't sunk to this, apparently. Which means "but FG do it too!" isn't really a good defense. That just makes both parties (and FF, since they've also been engaging in similar shenanigans) equally guilty.

It'd be great to see all three get fined heavily for fraud, or data mismanagement, over it. At least something just to discourage this sort of sketchy lying to the public.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

They should really write something into law because it doesn't sound like it's against it right now. It's definitely shady as gently caress but I can't see anything coming out of it because this was just muck raking and nobody really intended anything more than that and it blew up in a lot of their faces when they had to admit to doing the same thing.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Nothing can stop them setting up polling agencies but it should be a legal requirement for them to declare who commissioned a poll.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Brass Hand posted:

Nothing can stop them setting up polling agencies but it should be a legal requirement for them to declare who commissioned a poll.

They shouldn't be allowed to say they are independent if they're not. I'd say this started out as a way for them to try and save money instead of paying for polls but it is definitely shady.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1403247352446656514?s=21

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You know it's bad when Blue Hugh isn't trying to spin it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Blut posted:

Labour, the SocDems, PBP etc... lots of parties haven't sunk to this, apparently. Which means "but FG do it too!" isn't really a good defense. That just makes both parties (and FF, since they've also been engaging in similar shenanigans) equally guilty.

It'd be great to see all three get fined heavily for fraud, or data mismanagement, over it. At least something just to discourage this sort of sketchy lying to the public.

I thought labour were also implicated. And the greens.

Right now it's only PBP and SocDems haven't been outed as doing it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

The commonality there is probably being too skint to afford any polling, nefarious or otherwise

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Marenghi posted:

Aodhan Ó Ríordain is on the record saying Labour haven't done it. So its still SF that are the only left-wing party to have engaged in it.

SF and FG appear to have been the most organized, and centrally planned, doing it too. It'll be interesting to see if there GDPR issues for the party headquarters in both cases as a result.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Forgive me for not believing anything that comes out of O Riordan's mouth.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/vaccine-registration-for-people-aged-30-39-set-to-open-within-week-1.4593880

Looks like registration for 30+ is starting later this week :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

A number of my friends are 40+ and registered two weeks ago have still not gotten vaccinated yet. Even if the 30-39 opens, I'm not expecting to get a jab until July at this rate.