Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't he the lead in Vinyl? I never saw that one, and it only lasted one season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

things i remember about boardwalk empire

-harrow went hotline miami on the great gatsby house and died under a pier
-they fridged the hot irishman

There was a full season between Harrow's rampage and his death where they dangled the prospect of a blissful family life in front of him :smith:

Also they fridged Angela Darmody (AND her girlfriend), never really forgave that. I assume everything Darmody had to go once they realized working with Michael Pitt was a nightmare

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't he the lead in Vinyl? I never saw that one, and it only lasted one season.

Yep, and it sucked! It sucked on levels beyond comprehension. Canavale was one of the worst parts of the show, too, a very bad combination of a too-big performance being applied to a paper-thin character.

I don't know that there was a way for the show to really work, but if Canavale had been a supporting character and Ray Romano was the lead, it would have at least been a more watchable failure. (Romano turned in some pretty solid performances week after week.)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

JethroMcB posted:

I assume everything Darmody had to go once they realized working with Michael Pitt was a nightmare

Was this ever verified? I've heard the rumours and I'd love to know.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Michael Pitt has left every television show he’s ever worked on prematurely.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vichan posted:

Was this ever verified? I've heard the rumours and I'd love to know.

I don't think anybody has gone on the record and said definitively. Winter maintains that he'd always intended for Nucky to kill Jimmy, which I believe. I also think he found a convenient way to move that event up in the show's timeline dramatically to rid himself of a production headache. In any case, UTA stopped representing Pitt during the production of Season 2 and issued a hell of a broadside to Deadline about it.

Yeah, I think his resume over the last decade tells the real story.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I remember feeling the Michael Shannon role was pointless from maybe the second season onward. Compelling actor, compelling character premise... but then it turned out there was little use for him as written so instead he's sent on an odyssey of wacky situations with no substantive pay off and minimal connection to the main story.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ah, come on!

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

things i remember about boardwalk empire

-jimmy banged his mum
-harrow went hotline miami on the great gatsby house and died under a pier
-they fridged the hot irishman
-they hired michael k williams and then had him just sort of be there
-bobby cannavale played someone who was maybe brain damaged
-scottish = irish sure why not
-nuckys not looking for redemption?

oh

-michael shannon and shea wigham together are loving gold

that's about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhaOsF7F050

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I just remember looking forward to the Margaret / Rothstein stuff at the end of season 4 and then being real disappointed by the start of 5 (AR was my favorite, basically that show's Johnny Sack).

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsbX-VLkHhQ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That time skip sucked, same with the fewer episodes. They could have skipped to ‘27 and then ‘31 if they had a full season because the former year is when the first meeting to attempt the organization of what eventually became the Five Families and beyond took place in Atlantic City with Capone there. And that’s also the year Arnold Rothstein and Frankie Yale were murdered. Instead it was just “Hey, remember one of the best characters in the show? Here’s a throwaway line you may miss about how someone killed him a few years ago.”

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Would Tony Soprano watch anime, important questions on the last page

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m still pissed. It’s as though season four of the Sopranos took place eight years after the third and you found out through a brief mention via dialogue that Ralphie and Gloria were dead.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Even though I mostly remember being annoyed by it at the end, this conversation IS still making me want to go back and watch some BW.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

indiscriminately posted:

I remember feeling the Michael Shannon role was pointless from maybe the second season onward. Compelling actor, compelling character premise... but then it turned out there was little use for him as written so instead he's sent on an odyssey of wacky situations with no substantive pay off and minimal connection to the main story.

Definitely. There's some good moments in there but overall its a mess of constant twists and turns.

Shannon said he was disappointed that they had his character drink in the first season, and I agree. Getting him off the prohibition team so early cut out a lot of potential story of having him still investigating Nucky, and having him brew hooch in his apartment with his 3rd not-wife just felt random and never seemed to amount to some point.

Same problem I have with Mad Men, just characters doing things without really a feeling of coherent narrative or theme.

Also Boardwalk seems to almost revel in reverse karma, the good characters all die brutally and the shitheads live on to divide the spoils, again and again. You keep getting built up for someone to get their comeuppance and it never feels like it pays off enough. I guess in some ways that's a more realistic story, but it also feels confused.

Randallteal posted:

I just remember looking forward to the Margaret / Rothstein stuff at the end of season 4 and then being real disappointed by the start of 5 (AR was my favorite, basically that show's Johnny Sack).

AR was great.

I would have liked to see a lot more of AR and Capone and less of Nucky personally.

Stephen Graham did a great job of being a total loving maniac as Capone, a vicious blood-thirsty gangster, and yet also giving him significant heart with how he interacted with his son and other characters like Van Alden.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Definitely. There's some good moments in there but overall its a mess of constant twists and turns.

Shannon said he was disappointed that they had his character drink in the first season, and I agree. Getting him off the prohibition team so early cut out a lot of potential story of having him still investigating Nucky, and having him brew hooch in his apartment with his 3rd not-wife just felt random and never seemed to amount to some point.

Yeah, his arc was completed in the first season prematurely and the rest is 'watch Michael Shannon do his shtick.' Kinda fun, but empty.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
I'm at the Finn part now and I forgot how funny this was. When he's not into the chili for dinner after witnessing the beating, seeing The BJ before work, the constant "if you want. no if YOU want" back and forth with Meadow. We've all been there!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Would Tony Soprano watch anime, important questions on the last page

Like maybe if aj was watching Gundam wing he'd give it a cursory glance

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

King Cocoa Butter posted:

I'm at the Finn part now and I forgot how funny this was. When he's not into the chili for dinner after witnessing the beating, seeing The BJ before work, the constant "if you want. no if YOU want" back and forth with Meadow. We've all been there!

I related to Finn falling asleep mid argument due to sheer exhaustion from arguing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Finn my boy you can never really know the fate you were spared. count your fuckin blessings.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I forget, do they ever explain specifically why Finn & Meadow broke up, whatever happened there, or is it just left to our imagination to figure out why the shaky relationship we got to see in previous seasons didn't work out

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

I forget, do they ever explain specifically why Finn & Meadow broke up, whatever happened there, or is it just left to our imagination to figure out why the shaky relationship we got to see in previous seasons didn't work out

i don't remember if this was ever straight up explained but i think he went off to school and their long distance relationship eventually died.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Finn told Meadow that he saw Vito blowing a security guard; she told Carmela, who told Tony. This lead to Finn being interrogated in the back of Satriale's, which of course lead to Vito's death. Finn and Meadow fought about it. A few episodes later, Finn and Meadow's relationship is on the rocks, and he eventually moves to California without her.

Finn wasn't a babe in the woods, he wisely made the decision to get the gently caress out. It's ultimately part of Meadow's story, where she embraces Carmela's value system while being an independent woman.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He wanted to stay in California and would have preferred her move out there because he couldn't stand being in Jersey anymore. He went from fearing for his life from Vito to being forced to provide evidence that eventually led to his death. They have a big fight about it a few episodes before Vito is killed. I can only imagine that he said "See? They killed him!" and she responded with more of her poverty of the Mezzogiorno bullshit and that's when the engagement and relationship was over. The only mention after that is in "Stage 5" when Meadow mentions wanting a normal guy, Tony asks if Finn wasn't normal, and she hisses "I don't intend to discuss Finn."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't think Finn's testimonial led to Vito's death though? Iirc Phil Leotardo got a tip about where Vito was hiding out and sent one of his guys up to New England to search him out.

It was a big part of the New Jersey - New York crime war, that Phil killed one of Tony's captains without permission.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Finn was an eyewitness to Vito actually having sex with a man, everything else was rumors before that. Phil specifically says to Marie "an independent witness with no reason to lie witnessed him with another man" so that was what he needed. And Tony had gotten fed up with the issues Vito's return had caused and had already sent Carlo to kill Vito when he finds out that Phil had already done it. Nobody knew where Vito was when he was in New Hampshire, his coming home and visiting people like his wife and Tony and that other guy is what clued in Phil and then somebody figured out what motel he was staying at in Jersey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Tony actually arranged to have Vito taken out quietly, and Phil beat him to the punch to make a point.

But that doesn't matter to Finn; as far as he knew, his testimony was going to lead to Vito getting hurt or killed. And that was after being intimidated by Vito and interrogated by Tony and his capos. He wanted out, and his relationship with Meadow went south after he called her out for hypocritically whining about how society persecutes rich Italian mobsters.

Looking back at some of these episodes, it reminds me just how lazy and selfish these guys are. Christopher doesn't get Adria killed out of loyalty, he does it because he sees a poor family at a gas station and doesn't want to be them. Vito goes back to Jersey and gets himself killed because he doesn't want to work a real job.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Certain people had the ability to see right through all the bullshit and stay the gently caress away or get out once they found themselves involved. Finn, Charmaine, Jim, Vic Musto, etc.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The " you picked up your suit case" argument might be the most realistic depiction of an early 20's relationship ever put on screen

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Meadow will, one day, have a Twitter account where she just argues about how it's white privilege to criticize the Mafia for being homophobic.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
poverty of the Mezzogiorno:lmao:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The " you picked up your suit case" argument might be the most realistic depiction of an early 20's relationship ever put on screen

Absolutely

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Finn could have lived on the fringe scoring some sweet football ticket benefits like Barbs husband if he had been smart about it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Finn was an eyewitness to Vito actually having sex with a man, everything else was rumors before that. Phil specifically says to Marie "an independent witness with no reason to lie witnessed him with another man" so that was what he needed. And Tony had gotten fed up with the issues Vito's return had caused and had already sent Carlo to kill Vito when he finds out that Phil had already done it. Nobody knew where Vito was when he was in New Hampshire, his coming home and visiting people like his wife and Tony and that other guy is what clued in Phil and then somebody figured out what motel he was staying at in Jersey.

Okay, right I remember now. I think I was mixing up "Tony going to look at colleges with Meadow" with the Vito thing.

e: Maybe the suburban stashhouse stakeout on the Wire in there too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There was no abundant intentionality in me posting about the suitcase!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are you sleeping?!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

There was no abundant intentionality in me posting about the suitcase!

God, that line sent me into hysterics. It's so Psychology 101 and I love it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i do wonder what kind of hosed up life David Chase has lived through to have such a dead eye for the various types of horrible dysfunctional relationships. hope u are ok David.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Meadow will, one day, have a Twitter account where she just argues about how it's white privilege to criticize the Mafia for being homophobic.

Finn wasn't much better, dismissing a McJob as crappy and also he'd be taking a spot "a minority" would need.

They were both a different flavor of terminal lib brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Halloween Jack posted:

Finn told Meadow that he saw Vito blowing a security guard; she told Carmela, who told Tony. This lead to Finn being interrogated in the back of Satriale's, which of course lead to Vito's death. Finn and Meadow fought about it. A few episodes later, Finn and Meadow's relationship is on the rocks, and he eventually moves to California without her.

Finn wasn't a babe in the woods, he wisely made the decision to get the gently caress out. It's ultimately part of Meadow's story, where she embraces Carmela's value system while being an independent woman.

Ding Ding DIng.

We see Meadow gradually taking on Carmela's rationalization tactics that allow her to continue to be a spoiled person and we see Finn very clearly wondering exactly who the gently caress it is he's getting involved with. To make matters worse, Meadow didn't believe him when he said he was frightened and intimidated by Vito or freaked out at the beer bottle assault.

Finn was smart.