Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

air- posted:

Excuse the derail - how was that? Was always curious about them and seeing you went twice must mean something good!

I have another buddy heading to Denver over memorial day and he was asking about recs, but I remember really liking Izakaya Den... just that I haven't been there in over a decade

Izakaya is expensive but delicious. Also Weldwerks is very very good except their adjunct beers on occasion get a little too clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sorry, I meant we went out 2x total, not Sushi Den twice. Currently there is just one menu for Izakaya Den & Sushi Den. Everybody in my family says it's the best sushi in Denver. It was good (aside from the spider crab rolls that were meh). One owner lives in Japan and buys fish there to send to Denver express. I'm not sure that's working out great right now. We got there right when it opened at 5 and got a table, when we were leaving the wait was 90 mins+.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

highme posted:

Yeah, I was just wanting a goon brewed Mosaic DIPA from somewhere I don’t normally drink beer from.

i doubt that we can step to Cloudburst in terms of hoppy stuff, but i'm happy to oblige; message me in a couple of weeks!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
hoooo boy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Honestly, that loving rules and is a better idea than 90% of the beers on the shelf.

In pre-Pastry eras, French pressing toasted coconut into a bottle of BCBS was the easiest way to get something like that. Still do it once a year or so!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Tell us more about the ancient lore

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

At least theyre being honest with themselves. I respect it

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

That sounds really cool. If all goes well we should be in that area before the end of summer.

I'm in Dayton, and so far the best breweries are Branch & Bone and Yellow Springs Brewing, with Warped Wing and Toxic Brew Company basically just being there. Alematic in Huber Heights is pretty good from the couple of things I've had there, and Loose Ends down in Centerville has put on some interesting beers recently from the one time I went there. Ton of small breweries to try and its a good scene writ large.

Also there is more pizza than you can reasonably comprehend in the area. Old Scratch has great pizza and great taplists, go there. Don't get Dayton-style. Just...trust me.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Now that people are getting the vax and the weather sucks less, its back to beer patio season.

Doesn't look like much has changed over the last year or so, we're still somewhat frozen in the time, with some pilsners, and various NE IPA. I still do like the fruited sours like what I was able to get from Mortalis, but at this point I'm not anxious to be waiting in line for releases or chasing anything. I guess I'm happy to have solid IPA options until I get sick of them again and want to branch out. It's just so fun to drink a beer near other people again!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If y'all have not been aware of the stories being shared on @ratmagent's Instagram stories you should really check them out:

https://www.instagram.com/ratmagnet/

Tired Hands has staged a production walk out for two days in a row now.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

might be time to finally retire this avatar

whoever commissioned the artwork in sa-mart and bought it for me, please come forth

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yes hello

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

lament.cfg posted:

whoever commissioned the artwork in sa-mart and bought it for me, please come forth

retired hands, c'mon

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Handful of CEOs and owners stepping down the past couple days but still getting their paycheck cause they own the company.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What can you even do against someone like Jean or Shaun? They're the owners, brand, and by all accounts have a hand in their entire operation. I don't see any resolution that would make me comfortable working for someone doing the poo poo they're accused of.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

lament.cfg posted:

That was me. It was my reaction when Sirotan responded to you saying that beer is not pokemon. I just had to create the avatar then. My photoshop skills are nonexistent so I reached out to SA Mart.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Furious Lobster posted:

That was me. It was my reaction when Sirotan responded to you saying that beer is not pokemon. I just had to create the avatar then. My photoshop skills are nonexistent so I reached out to SA Mart.

You are amazing, I’ve treasured it for years

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

I didn't think you could be cooler.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Furious Lobster posted:

I don't remember this and couldn't find the post but lol, amazing

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

lament.cfg posted:

You are amazing, I’ve treasured it for years

You're welcome, I'm glad that it was also a hit with you.

danbanana posted:

I didn't think you could be cooler.

True compliment from an old friend. Thank you.

Sirotan posted:

I don't remember this and couldn't find the post but lol, amazing

I also tried finding the post but maybe it was in a totally different thread? I'm fairly sure it was your post that started the whole train of thought in my head.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Furious Lobster posted:

Amazing :allears: it might have been on the trading thread?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm going to GA and SC (Augusta area) for a week in June, are there any breweries in the area or breweries that distribute in those states but not CO that I should keep an eye out for? I'll drink most kinds of beer, but my general favorite unusual style is a schwarzbier/black lager. I tend to drink lighter types of beer this time of year but if there's something heavy that I shouldn't miss out on I can save it for a cold night or something. I live in the mountains, so there's probably going to be at least one <40 degree night in the next month or two.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Creature Comforts is in GA and puts out really solid beers. They're based in Athens, but have distro throughout the state.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Creature Comforts actually put out a black lager in March called The Silent World, look around and I bet you could find that. It's good. Pick up their Tropicalia IPA and Classic City Lager or order them at a bar, they're both really good and widely available. If you like lager you should also see if you can find some stuff from Arches Brewing in Atlanta. Halfway Crooks is fantastic but I'm not sure how much of them you'd see in Augusta, they don't distribute a whole lot.

Burial's lagers and IPAs are also worth trying if you see them around, they're in Asheville but distro a fair bit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh drat, lots of good recommendations. I'll be flying into and out of ATL so I can make some stops and fill up my suitcase with beer before I fly back if they're not out in Augusta. I'll probably also hit up bars a little bit if my cousins in the area have any recommendations for ones with good beer selection. I have a pretty ridiculous alcohol tolerance at sea level due to being used to something like 30% less oxygen so I should be able to try a wide range even if the place doesn't have flights.

(note to self, pack clothes you want to get rid of in a back-alley Atlanta dumpster to make room for beer).

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Arches is like eight minutes from the airport, Halfway Crooks is like fifteen minutes. I think both of those guys have black lagers available now, even.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I had a neat IPA “Practicus” from Omnipollo last week. Had a heck of a time with some friends trying to decide which fruit from the fruit salad we were tasting. Cantaloupe? Wild Cherry? Turns out beer can still be fun

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

prayer group posted:

Creature Comforts actually put out a black lager in March called The Silent World, look around and I bet you could find that. It's good. Pick up their Tropicalia IPA and Classic City Lager or order them at a bar, they're both really good and widely available. If you like lager you should also see if you can find some stuff from Arches Brewing in Atlanta. Halfway Crooks is fantastic but I'm not sure how much of them you'd see in Augusta, they don't distribute a whole lot.

Burial's lagers and IPAs are also worth trying if you see them around, they're in Asheville but distro a fair bit.

I was just in ATL and went to Halfway Crooks. Awesome stuff. I left with a mixed case.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Looks like my local brewery will no longer sell my favorite craft beer in cans, and will only sell the product in kegs. I found a local store with a distributor that will order the kegs for me.

What's a good Kegerator to purchase that can support one 5 gallon keg, in the USA? I saw Lowes and Home Depot sell Kegerators. I'm only going to support one beer/one tap.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

nnnotime posted:

Looks like my local brewery will no longer sell my favorite craft beer in cans, and will only sell the product in kegs. I found a local store with a distributor that will order the kegs for me.

What's a good Kegerator to purchase that can support one 5 gallon keg, in the USA? I saw Lowes and Home Depot sell Kegerators. I'm only going to support one beer/one tap.

I have this one from Best Buy and I’m happy with it, although for some reason the price on it has gone up a hundred bucks since I bought mine. There’s plenty of room inside for a second keg if you ever want to upgrade.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-5-6-cu-ft-1-tap-beverage-cooler-kegerator-stainless-steel/4223301.p?skuId=4223301

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you don't want to spent that much you can also make your own kegerator really cheaply with a used minifridge and a picnic tap. You would need to remove whatever shelves or can holders are attached to the door, and probably carefully bend down the cooling element to give you enough height clearance, but a 5gal corny keg and CO2 canister can fit inside a >3cuft minifridge no problem with room to spare for plenty of bottles and cans.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

nnnotime posted:

You can build a 'keezer' for pretty cheap if you don't mind getting your hands (slightly) dirty: https://homebrewacademy.com/how-to-build-a-keezer/
Remember that you're going to need a co2 tank and regulator as well if you want to actually get the beer out of the keg ;)

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 2, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I have this one from Best Buy and I’m happy with it, although for some reason the price on it has gone up a hundred bucks since I bought mine. There’s plenty of room inside for a second keg if you ever want to upgrade.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-5-6-cu-ft-1-tap-beverage-cooler-kegerator-stainless-steel/4223301.p?skuId=4223301

I have the 2-tap version of this and it owns. They put these both on sale every now and then. I think I paid $375 for mine a few years ago.

I do recommend swapping the stock 5' beer lines out for 10' to give a bit more line resistance. That way you can run ~10psi without worrying about it blasting out and foaming up your beer.
Get a second CO2 tank as well. That way if you run out on the weekend, or you have a loose connection and it all leaks out, you have a backup.

Also, don't tell your friends you have a keg/kegerator. It'll ruin any "oh this is way cheaper to buy beer in kegs" you may be thinking :v:

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Hey I found some goon beer here in FL today :cheers:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Final Blog Entry posted:

Hey I found some goon beer here in FL today :cheers:

nice! was the italian pils there, too?

honestly, though, i don't know why we sent that stuff down there; the original idea was to have those shipments coincide with festivals, but we're not in any festivals down there and it's beer we don't have a problem selling here, so...

wait, did you put that pack-tech on there or did you buy it like that? wonder if the shop had an issue with the collars when they were stocking

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Didn't see the Italian Pils, unfortunately. Found these at a Total Wine and that's how they were packaged. Both are very tasty!

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica

Tip posted:

I had to Google this to figure out wtf and I guess the beer company pulled that move after NOFX did some stupid stage banter about the Las Vegas shooting while playing in Las Vegas.

https://www.sfgate.com/bars/amp/Stone-Brewing-nofx-cut-ties-punk-in-drublic-12957386.php

https://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/stone-collaborations/stone-nofx-punk-drublic-hoppy-lager#ageGatePassed

June 4 2021 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 8, 2021

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Headed to Denver on Thursday for my first vacation in over a year. Beirstadt is already number 1 on my list of beers to have but what about food? Sushi was already covered a few posts ago, so what else do we have? Anything from food truck to Michelin star is welcome, perhaps great mexican / texmex.

We're staying near 20th and Park but we'll have a car and plan on getting out west of the city during the day too.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Eat at the restaurant on top of The Source. Woods or something like that? Probably need to make a reservation, it was extremely busy when we visited pre-pandemic, I imagine it's still a pretty popular spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

nullfunction posted:

Eat at the restaurant on top of The Source. Woods or something like that? Probably need to make a reservation, it was extremely busy when we visited pre-pandemic, I imagine it's still a pretty popular spot.

Acorn is closed permanently, if that’s what you meant. It was a good spot though! Safta is next door and really good Mediterranean. As far as Mexican, I suppose Tacos El Reydesel. La Calle. Comal Kitchen. Las Tortas for a casual lunch maybe. Work & Class is good too, albeit not really Mexican. Ototo is really good, small plate kinda place by the same people as Sushi Den etc. If you haven’t tried them already, I like Black Project, TRVE & Prost for beer too.

Little out of the loop with the pandemic and all, but I can throw out more suggestions if there’s something specific you’re looking for.