Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oh my god my players finally met Walter Corbitt and they just loving DUNKED on him.

FalseMachine, our occultist/landlord, rolled an impale on a point-blank shotgun blast and shredded his Flesh Ward and all but one of his hit points. And immediately after that, our Eastern European mystic (a replacement character for the statistician who broke his neck) rolls a goddamned critical on his Brawl and suplexed the top half of Corbitt off of his body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell yeah, gently caress Corbitt.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You are both trashing the atmosphere of Call of Cthulhu and, somehow, playing entirely in the spirit of it at the same time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean my players dealt with him with a BAR and a Colt .45.

They don't give you a lot of other options for Corbitt, so it's time for the shotguns!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

He successfully Dominated the bootlegger into thinking they were being raided by the police and he almost killed the mystic. It was just... like, the literal first action of that combat was a Shotgun Extreme success that just shredded him. The critical was the cherry on top.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He was absolutely going to grab the coast guard lawyer with the BAR if he'd gotten a turn and tell him to shoot everyone else. They're lucky as hell they got him round 1. That Dominate spell is mean.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Now run Mr. Corbitt from Mansions of Madness and confuse the hell out of them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I ran Amidst the Ancient Trees last night. It was a lot of fun. Some highlights:

- The first night, one of the players had a Dream of Gla'aki. I sent him a text with the handout from the book, and he didn't share it with anybody until later, when others had had weird dreams. It spooked him though, and everybody knew he didn't sleep well that night. When they found the artist's body the next night they actually suspected him first.

- When they came to the truck hauling dynamite, driven by a more recently converted Servant of Gla'aki (they didn't know this), I made it so that the truck was broken down and he was trying to repair it. They had heard the truck and successfully snuck up on it, so he wasn't trying to hide his chest wound - but all they could see was that he had a jacket on and it had dried blood on the edges. I rolled each servant and this one ended up with hilariously low strength (25) but hilariously high constitution (150). My players didn't trust him at all, since they knew work on the reservoir had stopped because Lucas Strong was concerned about the mysterious metals being toxic. So they really wanted to know why he was hauling dynamite and whose blood it was.

The Servant had been helpful (he just wanted to get back to his job of delivering dynamite. The players didn't know what they were blasting). One of the players, a fighter with only 7 HP due to his low constitution, attacks him out of nowhere. A fight ensues and the player takes a major knife would and drops but not before injuring the servant. He jumps in the truck and locks the doors. He doesn't want to fight, he just wants to do his job. One of my players knifes each tire of the truck. The servant, not being able to do anything else, gets out intending to fight them since they won't go away, and a rifle shot dispatches him. They search his body... find the large hole in his chest... two of them to temporarily insane (one of them lost ten points right there). This was their first real indication that poo poo's hosed in these woods.

- When they got to the hideout that has the kidnapper barricaded inside, they persuaded him into letting them in. He's ranting about losing the girl, about how none of this was supposed to happen, etc... He isn't being super helpful to the players. They found the kidnapper, which was kind of their goal - but he doesn't have the girl and he's raving. One of them asks something to him (I don't remember what) and the kidnapper just stares at him for about twenty seconds, silently, then with eyes locked with the player, blew his brains out with his shotgun. sanity roll. He wasn't about to be converted to one of those... things... That was entirely off the cuff and it made an impact.

- So eventually the players (one of them still badly injured but stabilized) make their way to the dig site. They were trying to pass themselves off as Gla'aki worshippers (based on a previous run-in with the Civil War era Servants, who weren't violent but trying to convert them, promising immortality if they serve their god and help with the crystal). The guard (a servant) didn't believe it - a fight ensured, the player's fighter goes down again and loses consciousness, the other servants come to see what the commotion was (there were gunshots) and the players end up captured.

So the players find themselves bound in a tent with the other captives - the 16 year old girl they were tasked with saving, plus the hunter pair. The fighter succeeds in a consciousness roll, so they're awake and stabilized again, but bound. The book says to get free the players have to make a hard DEX roll, so as they try to free their ties, I call for it. Fails all around. One of them pushes the roll. success. They then succeed in a stealth roll, and free the bonds of the other prisoners. They succeed on a spot hidden, finding a flap in the tent that they can all escape from, thus not alerting the two guards (servants) in the other room of the tent. They then make another successful stealth roll, so the four older servants outside working (it was night now, these were the civil war era servants) don't notice them slipping off into the woods.

So on the plus side, they completed their mission, saving the girl and the other prisoners. On the other side... the servants of Gla'aki succeeded in destroying the crystal imprisoning him, so he's one step closer to freedom. The players never went to the lake so sadly they didn't find the missing artists that all take spines through their chest. I was sad about that.

I was also kind of hoping for a big shootout at the end, since I had character sheets for everybody. The two of my players, plus the injured one, plus a 16-year-old girl, a 12-year-old boy and his father, against a total of six Servants of Gla'aki, who were armed with a combination of knives and sickles. But no, the players must have seen the odds and snuck off was the better option.

Overall it took about six hours (which was less than I thought... I assumed this would take two sessions) and they were trying desperately to figure out what the hell was going on for so long, it was great. Looking forward to the next one. The players are all hurting bad for sanity though (two of them ended up temporarily insane yesterday... one of them disappeared into the woods and the other players had to go find them layer, the other, an artist, furiously drew their dreams all night and was exhausted the next day as a result)

The one thing that's annoying is two of the players have guns, but they never use them until the fighter goes in, gets a couple of punches in, and always goes down with the first hit. So he is always injured and somehow hasn't died.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 5, 2021

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

CornHolio posted:

The Servant had been helpful (he just wanted to get back to his job of delivering dynamite. The players didn't know what they were blasting). One of the players, a fighter with only 7 HP due to his low constitution, attacks him out of nowhere. A fight ensues and the player takes a major knife would and drops but not before injuring the servant. He jumps in the truck and locks the doors. He doesn't want to fight, he just wants to do his job. One of my players knifes each tire of the truck. The servant, not being able to do anything else, gets out intending to fight them since they won't go away, and a rifle shot dispatches him. They search his body... find the large hole in his chest... two of them to temporarily insane (one of them lost ten points right there). This was their first real indication that poo poo's hosed in these woods.

This is hilarious and underlines the sometimes banality of evil. The cultist just wants to do his job, man; don't want no trouble, and he acts like a perfectly rational human being.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is there a published CoC mini-campaign that's recommendable? The prospect of doing something like Masks of Nyarlathotep is daunting, but I want something a bit more than a bunch of one-shots. Ideally I'd like a sort of shortish campaign, about 3-5 adventures, as a model to learn from for making my own campaign.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Is there a published CoC mini-campaign that's recommendable? The prospect of doing something like Masks of Nyarlathotep is daunting, but I want something a bit more than a bunch of one-shots. Ideally I'd like a sort of shortish campaign, about 3-5 adventures, as a model to learn from for making my own campaign.

Flotsam and Jetsam is around 4 or 5. The characters all work for a Weekly World News style newspaper in the 20s. Fun twist in a later adventure when one of the characters learns they are a deep one.

It's free if you're a member of the Cult of Chaos, which is also free to sign up for.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Found this good article on the N@TO (Delta Green) discord.

It describes how real life investigators consider different hypotheses, and revise them when new information comes to light, while investigating a case. It also describes the death of a woman in clinical terms.

https://leb.fbi.gov/articles/featured-articles/overcoming-investigative-assumptions?s=09

Its pretty useful for getting in the head of investigators as a GM or a writer.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

As to study times, I had the reward for beating Crimson Letters be learning to cast dimensional gate (the HPL book the module was based on was all about transdimensional travel via N-dimensional geometry). Abner Wick taught a PC how to draw eldritch geometries necessary for transdimensional travel by carving the example sigil into their flesh.

That solves the problem the book solves by saying you need to study for weeks in two ways. Number one, the PC is sure paying attention as the ghoul wizard carves your forearm up with a scalpel-sharp quill pen, no need for INT rolls every week or whatever, you're gonna remember it forever. Number two, the player has their own body as a reference if they ever get rusty, and also, it means they need to take some time to draw it, looking from their arm to the wall or whatever and back getting all the curlicues right, they can't just phase through poo poo at a dead sprint.

And as for 'how do I give it to only one PC and not have a team of 4 Nightcrawlers BAMFing through cultists' well, the horrifying visions you witness while your flesh is carved is a necessary part of the process, and no one else went through that. Which also helps explain why a rando investigator would be able to draw the designs safely that a professional art forger botched and almost killed the world with.

To be clear, literally none of this is in the module as written.

Unless you're playing with long-time players, no one knows whats in the books. You can always bareface make some poo poo up and if the description of it in the moment is cool enough no one thinks hard enough about it till it's too late to question. And if they are players who've been around long enough to know you 'only' learn spells by reading a book for a month like studying for the bar, well, hopefully they'll be happy for a change of pace.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 24, 2021

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Ok so, question. That homebrew I've been posting on and off about; Garden of Eden was an ancient Elder Thing biotech/magic research lab in Africa, centered on a Mythos Deity with the form of a tree. The Fall of Man is the opening of 28 Days Later, with the human soul essentially a spiritual virus engineered by the tree such that there'd be a species of animal smart and wicked and perverse enough to go poking around into mythos business and occasionally end up back at the facility for processing.

I think I'm going to use this one to end the campaign I'm running. Options are they get a choice to travel with different NPCs, but end up trapped with all of them in the facility. The choice of who to travel with is mostly to flesh out their relationship so the players feel something when at least one NPC is subjected to gruesome experiments. Each NPC will offer a plan to get out

Plan is
1. The super racist, shithead south African soldier of fortune is going to suggest an armed takeover that ends with a PC killing Adam the monkey and taking his place enslaved to the tree for millions more years until they in turn are killed. I doubt anyone is going to choose him, nor do I think anyone will listen to him once jailed, but I can get buck wild with the experiments on this guy, maybe 'force' a PC to kill him, and the group should enjoy it. Roland the Headless Thomson Gunner is going to be heavily mined for material.
2. The nun dispatched by the Vatican to report on the logging camps' development and progress and get instructions from the tree (Oh yea, Church knows the bible is a sham, but of course people would go nuts if they knew, got to appease the tree and keep the secret of the evil alien god for OT6-Clear level cardinals and such) will just let them leave but insist the players shut up and that's it, status quo. "forget it Jake its Chinatown". Bad guys win, basically. They prove they're trustworthy enough to be allowed to live via a quest to poison the logging town's water supply to ensure the secret survives.
3. The witch doctor who's operating off an even older set of oral traditions than Abrahamic religion wants to beat the Tree by curing the virus. All humans lose their souls, revert to animals. No more envy, greed, war (yea I know monkeys fight but come on) inequality, ecological degredation etc etc. It does involve snuffing the conscience of every living person and of course plane crashes, initial mass starvation as agriculture is forgotten, etc. etc. but I don't want a warm fuzzy ending in CoC anyway.

#3 is where I'm stumped. At first I was like, some sort of Chixclub-type superweapon that just wipes out humanity, but I like the idea of just eliminating sapience, going pre-lapsarian. Not sure how I do it either instantaneously, or slowly but inescapably Purple Cloud/On the Beach style.

One options is humans with their souls extracted will exist as monsters to fight, mostly in the jungle outside the facility walls. These are the missing loggers who start the action. I already have a mechanism where they try to steal the PCs soul by 'Green Mile'ing them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIa2ob3zHdA&t=149s
Doesn't exactly work as a 1-1 transfer though, it's lossy. So eventually there'd be no souls left. Zombie Plague seems kinda 2006 though.

Like I said in my comment above, it doesn't have to be logical or anything it just has to sound cool enough in the moment that as I describe it to the players it's engrossing and a satisfying conclusion.

I also get there's only a 33% chance the PCs even explore this avenue, but I want to be prepped.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 24, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stephen King had a pretty good story on the topic of everyone losing their higher thought processes, although it was not a full-fledged return to monke. "The End of the Whole Mess." To give away the gimmick, they distilled a chemical from a regional water supply with anomalously low levels of human-on-human violence and put it in a volcano just as it was fixing to erupt, spreading it across the world. The problem is that the chemical made you happy, but also gave you dementia later in life... or, in the quantities which the heroes used... "in a few months."

If you are positing a literal virus you have a little bit of trickery here if you intend it to be more or less scientifically accurate. This may not really matter: It's a chemical treatment, in this case, and the guy's probably able to give a reasonable plan on how to distribute this chemical worldwide, or at least "worldwide enough that it will get pretty much everybody." A volcanic eruption might well do it, as would a surprisingly small number of high altitude jetliners flying in unusual areas. Possibly, he intends to use the same chemical that the Jack Chick Nun wants the PCs to use on a logging town, just a lot more of it and distributed worldwide.

You also may want to consider the question of: So why did these space-gods come down to make it so there would be 'an evil animal, who would meddle in the Mythos'? What do they get out of it? Even Nyarlathotep, who laughs at the folly of man, would be rather mean spirited and low-down to make humans this way just to laugh at them. Maybe they have a specific reason. One easy one would be that such an animal would be a useful slave-race for, for instance, the Insects of Shan or similar entities. You may be able to think of something more. Your summary made me think of the novella "Protector" by Larry Niven, though it is not really a horror story -- but it could be!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'm looking at a hack, but I need some feedback and ideas: I've got an idea for...basically 99.999% of Call of Cthulhu 7e, but with MASSIVELY simplified skills. I'm talking less skills than Delta Green - I want maybe a broad selection of skill categories and penumbras like Unknown Armies, but I can't get over the hurdle of how skills are tied into occupations (i.e. skill points and personal interest points).

I'll elaborate more if need be, but so far my ideas are
--5-6 skill categories tied into characteristics and ranked by their percentage
--Freeform skills like Unknown Armies, tied into the profession's governing Characteristic
--Skill categories as above, but rolled on 3d6 like Characteristics

I'm still figuring out EXACTLY what I want, but I know generally I just think every Cthulhu game (that isn't Cthulhu Dark) needs WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY less skill bloat. Thoughts?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Do the 13th Age skills (they called em backgrounds, I think): everyone writes a set number, say five, and names them as they see fit. “Used to be a pirate” was one they gave in the book, and could be applied to sailing, rope tying, aerial swashbuckling, you name it, so long as it made sense.

Maybe give everyone three ones related to their occupation and two related to personal interests? You can still assign a % chance to each of them, but make sure they’re broad enough to get real use out of em.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Do the 13th Age skills (they called em backgrounds, I think): everyone writes a set number, say five, and names them as they see fit. “Used to be a pirate” was one they gave in the book, and could be applied to sailing, rope tying, aerial swashbuckling, you name it, so long as it made sense.

Maybe give everyone three ones related to their occupation and two related to personal interests? You can still assign a % chance to each of them, but make sure they’re broad enough to get real use out of em.

Very much in line with what I was thinking - maybe have a little more structure along the lines of like

[The Occupation Itself]
[Occupation Background]
[Education Background]
[Personal Interest 1]
[Personal Interest 2]

My other thought I've been sticking to is, like, basically collapsing the skills on the actual character sheet into broad categories, like Violence, Education, Hardware, Investigation, and Occult. Or some poo poo like that?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I'm looking at a hack, but I need some feedback and ideas: I've got an idea for...basically 99.999% of Call of Cthulhu 7e, but with MASSIVELY simplified skills. I'm talking less skills than Delta Green - I want maybe a broad selection of skill categories and penumbras like Unknown Armies, but I can't get over the hurdle of how skills are tied into occupations (i.e. skill points and personal interest points).

I'll elaborate more if need be, but so far my ideas are
--5-6 skill categories tied into characteristics and ranked by their percentage
--Freeform skills like Unknown Armies, tied into the profession's governing Characteristic
--Skill categories as above, but rolled on 3d6 like Characteristics

I'm still figuring out EXACTLY what I want, but I know generally I just think every Cthulhu game (that isn't Cthulhu Dark) needs WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY less skill bloat. Thoughts?
To a certain extent the skill bloat is what lets people define characters, although you are quite right that rules as written you have a ton of things and it is easy to have it be along the lines of 'Oh, you don't have MIDDLE Sumerian? Guess you're hosed, you only have LOW Sumerian.'

Having a few skill categories is good. I am not entirely sure about associating them with a characteristic, but this is mostly because (for instance) Violence would include both the random karate skills and firearms. What do they have in common? Dexterity, I guess; but now we're reinventing Dex as the god stat. However, the idea OF categories is really good...

Maybe you have your categories, which have percentages in them, and then for every 25 points in a relevant characteristic, (or fraction thereof) you can take a specialty in a skill, which grants some flat bonus. You can use the skill check mechanic to either pump up specialties (at a fairly generous but narrow rate) or your base skill (at a much less generous but broadly applicable rate). This would allow you to model specialists without a ton of default bloat, and would reward a high characteristic while de-emphasizing a centrality of ability scores.

If you have, say, five categories you might just give people flat starting percentages and be like '60, 50, 40, 30, 30: Pass 'em out how you like.'

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Nessus posted:

To a certain extent the skill bloat is what lets people define characters, although you are quite right that rules as written you have a ton of things and it is easy to have it be along the lines of 'Oh, you don't have MIDDLE Sumerian? Guess you're hosed, you only have LOW Sumerian.'

Great points in this post and strong opener, kinda knows exactly what my problem is. Gonna go a little at a time!

Nessus posted:

Having a few skill categories is good. I am not entirely sure about associating them with a characteristic, but this is mostly because (for instance) Violence would include both the random karate skills and firearms. What do they have in common? Dexterity, I guess; but now we're reinventing Dex as the god stat. However, the idea OF categories is really good...

Yeah, I think that's one for the scrap pile. I was thinking of tying it to the stats that the Occupation calls out as important, but at that point why not just use the stat?

Nessus posted:

Maybe you have your categories, which have percentages in them, and then for every 25 points in a relevant characteristic, (or fraction thereof) you can take a specialty in a skill, which grants some flat bonus. You can use the skill check mechanic to either pump up specialties (at a fairly generous but narrow rate) or your base skill (at a much less generous but broadly applicable rate). This would allow you to model specialists without a ton of default bloat, and would reward a high characteristic while de-emphasizing a centrality of ability scores.

If you have, say, five categories you might just give people flat starting percentages and be like '60, 50, 40, 30, 30: Pass 'em out how you like.'

This could be pretty easy to tie to the Occupation system - since not every Occupation ties skill points to EDU, you could just as easily say "Your skill points are what your Occupation calls out, they're the only ones you get at the beginning" and remove personal interest points altogether.

You could also tie the specialties to the occupation - say you select X (or all?) of the Occupation skills as specialties tied to their relevant "skill". As for what the specialties do, I'd keep it simple - having a specialty just gives you a Bonus die when using that skill to do that thing. Have them cap out at 2 and have them not count towards any ability/other rule's maximum number of bonus dice.

Still pretty in-progress, but I have something to stand on now. Thanks!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Good thought and good use of the bonus die idea. If someone is a past master of some very narrow field like XIVth dynasty Egypt you can just say "OK, automatic success on Know Egypt Thing."

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I'm looking at running Shadows of Yog Sothoth in the near future. My player's investigators have recently been offered invitations into the Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight - their leader knows they have seen some poo poo at this point, and are going to want to either a) try to bring them into the cultists, or b) just kill them if they don't get along.

I'm going to use that as a backdrop for a little bit while running one-shots (Missed Dues is on the docket) that I make related - in the case of Missed Dues, instead of a criminal organization looking for certain stolen artifacts, it's the Order that ultimately wants them and are the buyer. Over a few scenarios the investigators will be able to rise in the Order and we'll go from there into Shadows.

One thing I kind of want to do is give the entire campaign an Eastern Philosophy tinge - the Order doesn't recognize Cthulhu as Cthulhu but as Kali Ka, The Black One promised to bring about the end of the universe and cleanse it from evil. I can even go from there into some of the weirder sects of Christianity related to it, such as Saint Sarah (aka Sara-la-kali, or Sarah the Black). Seeing as this is already something that's actually worshipped in the real world, having a religious order accidentially waking Cthulhu seems like a fun take on it.

I could even bring in the lost continent of Lemuria (thought to be off of the Indian coast, so it tracks) as being Ry'leh.

This is all still in the early stages of thought, but I can drop real subtle hints as to the reality of things, and there's enough texts and stuff out there to support the Kali side of things that I think I can make it work, despite not knowing a whole lot about eastern philosophy.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 25, 2021

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

One thing I kind of want to do is give the entire campaign an Eastern Philosophy tinge - the Order doesn't recognize Cthulhu as Cthulhu but as Kali

:v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I'll be honest, I'm debating whether to throw in something from that as well :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I'll be honest, I'm debating whether to throw in something from that as well :v:

I think it would be very cool. :getin:

More to the point, you mentioned you weren't too familiar with Eastern philosophy/mythology -- have you looked into The Children of Fear? It's a 7e Chaosium campaign all based around adventures in China, Northern India and Tibet. I haven't run it myself, but it looks interesting and relevant, and even if you don't run the campaign itself, maybe it could give you inspiration and ideas?

Reading this review about it, it seems great and like it might be right up your alley:

quote:

In a campaign of this kind, ranging from China in the turbulent 1920s along the Silk Road to Tibet and colonial British India, questions of colonialism and racism, not to mention cultural appropriation, are almost sure to arise. All I can say is that Lynne Hardy and her fellow writers have done an extremely sensitive, painstaking, respectful and even reverential exploration of the traditions and cultures involved, even when they’ve turned a dark mirror to some of their most alarming aspects to create the villains of the piece. Almost every creed or social fabric is presented on its own terms, whether the strictures of the Hindu caste system, or the extremes of Tibetan Bon lore – in authentic terms that nonetheless will at times push your Culture Shock meter up to 11. Racism in the British colonial context is presented unflinchingly, with no attempt to handwave or airbrush over its impact on the campaign.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 25, 2021

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

DrSunshine posted:

I think it would be very cool. :getin:

More to the point, you mentioned you weren't too familiar with Eastern philosophy/mythology -- have you looked into The Children of Fear? It's a 7e Chaosium campaign all based around adventures in China, Northern India and Tibet. I haven't run it myself, but it looks interesting and relevant, and even if you don't run the campaign itself, maybe it could give you inspiration and ideas?

Reading this review about it, it seems great and like it might be right up your alley:

Ooh I like that. I don't think I'm going to drop fifty bucks on it right now but later if I can swing it, I'm sure I can find a way to incorporate it. That just looks awesome.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Help me out guys I'm getting bit by the DG bug again; what do I need to watch in addition to this list of things I have, already watched to get in the ~mindset~?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1409658046880518147

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hard Ticket to Hawaii. Hear me out, it's basically a DG scenario (played by people who usually play D&D) through and through.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I feel so bad for my players.

They're now members of the Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight. All of them joined. One of them even penned a long response to the invitation.

The response was intercepted and, several days after the ceremony initiating them, his character receives a puzzle box and a riddle. They don't have enough clues to be able to really figure out the riddle (yet) and they know this, but the fact that they have a riddle and a puzzle box is driving them absolutely insane. They're trying every six letter word that comes to mind. It's great. At the rate they'e able to play, I'm not sure if they'll be able to get it open by the end of the year.

Inside are some hints for defeating the end scenario of Shadows Over Yog-Sothoth.

Also that puzzle box is pricey but awesome. It's basically pure metal and heavier than poo poo, but really well designed. I'll get a lot of use out of it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So as a followup to my previous post, my players absolutely loved the puzzle, but it did cause a little bit of conflict that I didn't see coming.

The player that has it was researching the puzzle using his computer.

I expected this (it isn't really a puzzle that can be solved without some research) and figured instead of rolling for 'library use' for his character, he would actually get to investigate himself, bringing the roleplaying a bit closer to home. I figured his character would be at the library researching and his own use of Wikipedia would translate to this.

One of my other players disagreed and doesn't think he should be allowed to use the internet.

I explicitly said it was allowed (and why) and it seems to be resolved, but it does kind of blur the line between player and character in a way I hadn't thought about.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Night10194 posted:

Call of Cthulhu: Where a d6 of damage is actually real bad for you!

Did the bed get any of them, I love stories of the death-bed and its triumphs.

Can't remember if it was my character or someone else's(as this was like the better part of a decade ago) but definitely remember that bed causing my party trouble when we played that adventure(in fact it's basically the only thing I remember about that game besides the fact that my character carried an Elephant Gun as one of their weapons)

Also surprised no one has posted about this yet;

Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter

I'm probably going to back this for the full set

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Elendil004 posted:

Hard Ticket to Hawaii. Hear me out, it's basically a DG scenario (played by people who usually play D&D) through and through.
A serpent man crazed from eating cancer infected rat-things suddenly exploding out of a toilet in the third act is some classic "Oops, I forgot to add a mythos angle!"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just became aware of that kickstarter myself!

I need to sit and look at it, but I can't really tell what value the Thick and Thin level has - just completion?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

moths posted:

I just became aware of that kickstarter myself!

I need to sit and look at it, but I can't really tell what value the Thick and Thin level has - just completion?

The difference between the two versions of the box set are A) one comes with the five extra books they're remastering alongside the box set proper and B) the two versions have different size boxes to better accommodate the extra books(though design wise they're otherwise the same beyond one being taller than the other)

So yeah it pretty much is just for collectors who want both versions of the actual box(since presumably it'd be too expensive to print up a bunch of extra empty boxes, probably also why they aren't offering the extra books by themselves as part of this Kickstarter*)

*though they'll be released as POD later on like most Chaosium books are these days

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok thanks for that clarity, I don't especially need an extra box and redundant components. But it's cool that they're offering it.

I'm inordinately excited about printing the standees on cardstock when the PDF arrives.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m just going to gift the 1” box to the longtime keeper of my current group. It’s worth it in some sense.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

drrockso20 posted:

Can't remember if it was my character or someone else's(as this was like the better part of a decade ago) but definitely remember that bed causing my party trouble when we played that adventure(in fact it's basically the only thing I remember about that game besides the fact that my character carried an Elephant Gun as one of their weapons)

Also surprised no one has posted about this yet;

Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter

I'm probably going to back this for the full set

Oh man that's cool. Gonna think long and hard about this one...

edit: nevermind, dropped $99 for the two inch box. I already have (and am currently running) Shadows of Yog-Sothoth but that's it. Shame they're not being updated for 7e but it shouldn't be too hard to convert.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 6, 2021

Warthur
May 2, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Oh man that's cool. Gonna think long and hard about this one...

edit: nevermind, dropped $99 for the two inch box. I already have (and am currently running) Shadows of Yog-Sothoth but that's it. Shame they're not being updated for 7e but it shouldn't be too hard to convert.

Honestly, "multiply attributes by 5" and you are 90% of the way there already, especially if you're just converting NPC stats and stuff (so there is no compelling requirements for them to be auditable, exact, legal PCs based on 7e character gen parameters). Chaosium have a fairly full conversion guideline document as a free PDF but honestly, you could do a rule-of-thumb conversion guidelines summary that could fit on a business card.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Warthur posted:

Honestly, "multiply attributes by 5" and you are 90% of the way there already, especially if you're just converting NPC stats and stuff (so there is no compelling requirements for them to be auditable, exact, legal PCs based on 7e character gen parameters). Chaosium have a fairly full conversion guideline document as a free PDF but honestly, you could do a rule-of-thumb conversion guidelines summary that could fit on a business card.

Oh yeah I've gone over the conversion rules in my 7e book and it isn't too bad, just kind of weird that they're rereleasing 2e stuff as-is new, that's all. I get it for the historical context, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Nessus posted:

Stephen King had a pretty good story on the topic of everyone losing their higher thought processes, although it was not a full-fledged return to monke. "The End of the Whole Mess."

Big King fan, this is actually what I was thinking about when I got the idea.

Nessus posted:

If you are positing a literal virus you have a little bit of trickery here if you intend it to be more or less scientifically accurate... Possibly, he intends to use the same chemical that the Jack Chick Nun wants the PCs to use on a logging town, just a lot more of it and distributed worldwide.
I guess - and of course this is a tall order - that I'm hoping for something that is *recognizable as* a virus, or a nuke, or any such world-ender but *described in such a way* that it has a mystical eldritch type air about it. 'Sufficiently advanced technology indistinguishable from magic' and all that. Like, I'm tickled just all to hell at the idea of the soul as an analog for electricity and/or faulty, malicious code - mentioned it before but I'm going to try to have one player get his soul forcibly 'recycled' and if he escapes will be more or less Shodan once he's 'integrated into the mainframe'.
Honestly, my main problem might be not recognizing Stephen King completists are rare and I could probably just rip off The End Of The Whole Mess wholesale. gently caress, brainstorm - purifying water? Holy Grail? I'm sure I can smush this all together that it hangs for as long as the PC's are being chased through hallways by screeching Elder things and a million year old evil gorilla and can't think too hard about it. There's going to be a priest at a weird old church with 'blasphemous' stained glass murals at the edge of the forest who's gonna prime the story - John the Revelator got in the facility and out again - all those seven winged, seven armed, seven faced angels and dragons in Revelation map directly onto Elder Things. So I have him mention the holy grail that purges people of 'sin' is also in there, that's all we need. Nice, that should do.

Any other suggestions still more than welcome.

I think the nun is just gonna use straight poison, then call in bulldozers. It's a plausibly-deniably-Belgian-chartered wildcat logging camp illegally encroaching on ~~a small isolated african kingdom that has never been colonized~~ ya know, Wakanda/Prester John, but is of course untouched and independent because very powerful interests want people kept out. That thread is them turning their backs on the evil, letting the bureaucracy continue to run things, makes sense to have it be mundane like the end of Raiders.

Nessus posted:

You also may want to consider the question of: So why did these space-gods come down to make it so there would be 'an evil animal, who would meddle in the Mythos'? What do they get out of it? Even Nyarlathotep, who laughs at the folly of man, would be rather mean spirited and low-down to make humans this way just to laugh at them.
Got that covered: Trees are immobile. This thing is still a Great Old One, just not able to stomp around like Cthulhu. It can influence creatures that get near it but once they're away they're free. Elder Things are slaves to it as much as anything else - stupidly set up a permanent facility around it, tree incepts some lines of research, bing bang boom. Maybe queen bee/ant/termite is a better analogy for what it's doing. As to why? HPL built a ready-made escape hatch, it's incomprehensible. Maybe we're just packets in some SMS he's sending to Dagon. "U up?". I mean, it's loving stupid as hell, but I'm fine with that. I think half the Mythos are directly related to one another so the Old Ones do 'interact'.