Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

new win share stat: the number of games you play in that your team wins.

New new stat: net wins. The number of games you play in that your team wins - the number of games your team loses.

Steph Curry would be a .... plus 5 net win shares.

Rudy gobert would be plus 32.

But lets compare Curry to a point guard to be fair. Christ paul is net plus 30 win shares. Jokic was net plus 22.

Joe Harris went from -2 net wins last season to +24 net wins this season. Wow, Most Improved Player!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Joe Harris went from -2 net wins last season to +24 net wins this season. Wow, Most Improved Player!

obviously the analysis doesnt work for role players. But since no one cares about them (usally) for MVP discussion its fine.

Also Joe has a strong case for MIP but it went to another NYC guy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Asproigerosis posted:

The raptors won a title wtf?

rockford, illinois legend Fred Van Vleet repeatedly isoed up steph curry who had to beg for his teammates to play defense on his behalf

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Actually that's Kevin Durant who only took Ls in the previous season and now is racking up Ws. Who is Joe Harris? Is this a politics joke? If so, I agree, "Joe Harris" is a much better player than Kamala Harris or Joe Biden on their own. For democracy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

rockford, illinois legend Fred Van Vleet repeatedly isoed up steph curry who had to beg for his teammates to play defense on his behalf

when he dunks it's the Rockford flys

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steph Curry Disease is creating an entire sub order of box scores stats to create a moral simulacrum where players you like for fantasy reasons do better then they do in reality. You tend to make normative statements at odds with reality ("Actually steph curry is the best offensive player in the league")

If your "analysis" leads to a result where Steph Curry is the MVP you should throw out your old person fantasy ESPN grandparent stats and start asking questions like "why are fantasy stats so divorced from reality"? and "what is actually important (vauable) in the NBA?" (its not fantasy stats)

I mean its called Fantasy Sports for a reason. its not real.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
honestly the stat I look at in a game is how many times I have to look at a disgusting saliva slobber mouth guard dripping all over the court and if it's 1 or greater that's a huge loving problem

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

honestly the stat I look at in a game is how many times I have to look at a disgusting saliva slobber mouth guard dripping all over the court and if it's 1 or greater that's a huge loving problem

Aethetics are important and point to another inference: steph curry fans do not actually watch him play. How could they?? Hes disgusting.

But they see their ESPN tweets about him and get all hot and bothered

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it's amazing how two 6 hour probes broke your brain so badly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

broke brain ? I’m not the one who thinks Steph Curry is the mvp

it’s like the seminal event in modern nba analytics . they can’t survive this gross monstrosity. it’s like Donald Trump being elected. American “democracy” doesn’t deserve to carry on if that is a possible result. Trump/Curry being elevated is such a manifest evil the whole system needs to be wiped away

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 8, 2021

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

euphronius posted:

Aethetics are important and point to another inference: steph curry fans do not actually watch him play. How could they?? Hes disgusting.

But they see their ESPN tweets about him and get all hot and bothered

You don’t watch him play because west coast basketball is on past your bed time

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

It cannot be emphasized enough how important it is to ignore euphonious’s western conference takes. He doesn’t watch those games lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I do watch west conference games . I watched at least 10 warriors games this year
(they are always on tv)

edit

it was was hard to watch west coast before Covid but now I’m wfh so it’s fine

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 8, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my number one takeaway from following the warriors closely this year is : they won by defense lead by draymond green (who had a magnificent season and was the only reason the warriors were above .500)

stats back this up anyway

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

new win share stat: the number of games you play in that your team wins.

New new stat: net wins. The number of games you play in that your team wins - the number of games your team loses.

Steph Curry would be a .... plus 5 net win shares.

Rudy gobert would be plus 32.

But lets compare Curry to a point guard to be fair. Christ paul is net plus 30 win shares. Jokic was net plus 22.

in 2019 deangelo russel and andre drummond were better players than lebron james because the nets/pistons made the playoffs and lebron james didn't. for some reason their teams didn't compete for the title the next year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

in 2019 deangelo russel and andre drummond were better players than lebron james because the nets/pistons made the playoffs and lebron james didn't. for some reason their teams didn't compete for the title the next year

I assume you are referring to 18-19

the lakers were 20-14 during the part of the year Lebron was healthy and he was trying

doesn’t support your argument much . you should really get your nose out of your ideological stat books and try following the nba. the nba played by humans. you would not get confused so much by your grandparent espn stats

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

I assume you are referring to 18-19

the lakers were 20-14 during the part of the year Lebron was healthy and he was trying

that's a 58% winning percentage which is still not even worthy of a top 10 team in the nba. bojan bogdanovic had as good of a year because the pacers were 48-34 in 2019, roughly the same winning percentage, and he didn't even have brandon ingram playing with him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

34 games is a small sample and good teams usually pick up a lot of wins at the end of the year when other teams tank

you’d know this if you watched games I guess / followed the league

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

imagine winning more games than lebron with tyreke evans and wesley matthews playing 20-30 minutes a game consistently and hell looks like he did it again this year with utah

ergo bojan>lebron i don't make the rules

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

So, just to add some light statistical trolling to this, it looks like Curry's WS/48 was 16th best in the league this year, and that feels pretty accurate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lebron 18-19 is a unique case because that was his first year of coaching the team as well and you have to give him some time to figure out what plays work best for his players

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

imagine winning more games than lebron with tyreke evans and wesley matthews playing 20-30 minutes a game consistently and hell looks like he did it again this year with utah

ergo bojan>lebron i don't make the rules

no that is Gobert

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gobert clearly had a better year than Lebron in terms of value if you ignore that Lebron aslo coaches the team

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

34 games is a small sample and good teams usually pick up a lot of wins at the end of the year when other teams tank

you’d know this if you watched games I guess / followed the league

you're actually wrong. lebron played 55 games and was 28-27 https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01/gamelog/2019

it's even worse than i thought. evan fournier/nikola vucevic had better years on the magic. tobias harris/lou williams absolutely destroyed lebron james leading the clippers to the playoffs post-cp3 pre-kawhi era that year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not wrong

my language was precise and clear

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

no that is Gobert

you ignore bojan's success leading the pacers to a way better record than the lakers in 2018-2019

you claimed lebron only played 34 games when he actually played 55

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

please be more careful at reading

I take time to read your posts and respond in good faith

can I at least expect the same ?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

He was a +4 on court this season (last season). Those numbers are bunk tho I dont use them. I only brought them up because other people did. Plus minus is fimrly a Steph Curry Brain Disease stat.

Do you know what number inst bunk? ORTG. its especially good for determining who is good on offense.

Steph curry only had a 119 orating. Christ paul was 124. That is 5 points better. (christ paul is a better offensive player.). Jokic was 130.

STEPH CURRY WAS NOT IN THE TOP 20 FOR ORTG

Hes a fine role player. Hes is not good at leading your team. Your team will have a bad offense if Curry leads it. FACT. you can't deny this

you lied and got caught

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

since everything is about wins then lebron going 28-27 in 2019 means he was not even a top 16 player in terms of winning percentage and the pelicans with davis weren't even better than 23rd. inexplicable that two players who are arguably not even top 20 won the championship the next year obviously they were both carried by rajon rondo

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

please be more careful at reading

I take time to read your posts and respond in good faith

can I at least expect the same ?

20-14 is still only as good as bojan bogdonavic's year on the pacers because they won 58% of their games

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this is the kind of ad hominem attacks I’d expect from other forums

I know watching espn all day makes your guys Brains bad and posting on face book with other grandparents makes you think attacking character is a good play but we are trying to have an adult conversation here . can you stick to taking about basketball please

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 8, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

20-14 is still only as good as bojan bogdonavic's year on the pacers because they won 58% of their games

I’ve already answered this “critique” please move on

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Azathoth posted:

So, just to add some light statistical trolling to this, it looks like Curry's WS/48 was 16th best in the league this year, and that feels pretty accurate.

i'm super sussed out by win share stats because they consistently overrate high field goal percentages like deandre jordan, who used to be listed as a top 10-15 player in the league consistently

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

this is the kind of ad hominem attacks I’d expect from other forums

I know watching espn all day makes your guys Brains bad and posting on face book with other grandparents makes you think attacking character is a good play but we are trying to have an adult conversation here . can you stick to taking about basketball please

here's an ad hom: you Don't Know Ball

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

I've been watching Dumb Motherfuckers shout Dumb loving Opinions into the Dumb loving Void on these dead forums for like 15 years now, yet Steph Curry is bad discourse might be what finally breaks me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

I've been watching Dumb Motherfuckers shout Dumb loving Opinions into the Dumb loving Void on these dead forums for like 15 years now, yet Steph Curry is bad discourse might be what finally breaks me

he’s not bad he’s just not anywhere close to mvp

he’s perfect as 5th guy sniper when you have a Bunch of good players.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

just take it for the comical poo poo that it is and enjoy the playoffs

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

this thread turned me into a reactionary

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

i'm super sussed out by win share stats because they consistently overrate high field goal percentages like deandre jordan, who used to be listed as a top 10-15 player in the league consistently

It isn't without it's faults, just like any single statistic trying to compare players with disparate playing styles and games.

And you're correct that that style is the part where I would point towards it overvaluing players, along with assists being slightly overvalued as well, and certain kinds of defense being slightly undervalued because it's hard to statify if it doesn't frequently result in blocks or steals.

My read is that players like DeAndre end up getting a decent number of, for lack of a better term "uncontested" rebounds each game just because they're the person the team designates to grab them while the better offensive players run down court and get set up. That said, I'm not convinced that a player like DeAndre who did seem really good at getting contested rebounds isn't criminally undervalued, even if he's not a top 20 player.

Same for PGs and assists though too. There's a decent number of assists where the player didn't actually do anything to help the shooter, but by virtue of the stat, they get a little bump to their value because of it.

That all said, I've found WS/48 to be pretty decent overall, so long as limitations of any single stat are kept in mind. I do feel like Curry, in that example was playing MVP ball during their first title run, which is reflect in the stat, and is still a top 20 player, which is also reflected, but absolutely not an MVP anymore, which is again, also reflected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this thread turned me into a reactionary

admitting that thinking Steph Curry is good is a fascist sentiment is a good first step to healing