Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Owlspiracy posted:

hah well they are profitable - not that early stage - but yea gonna counter

and its .. ok just to do it in a friendly email? or better to do it over the phone?

I have always done it over email when looking and hiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yeah you want e-mail for the paper trail. Also, it makes it easy for the hiring manager to forward your e-mail to the person that actually makes the decision.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

thank you thread :)

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 13, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Edit: well, fine then

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Owlspiracy posted:

thank you - that makes sense, but feels so strange. I guess feeling uncomfortable about saying you want more money is how employers get away with lower offers.
Trick is, either they DO want you and will move their price happily to secure your eager cooperation, or they're blowing smoke and want to just wring you out like a dishrag.

Or, possiblity three, they are as hard up for money as they claim to be, in which case you're a bad month away from being let go anyway. Would you want to work in that situation?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you are not a confident, experienced negotiator DO NOT negotiate over the phone.

Hell even if you are one, still don't.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you are not a confident, experienced negotiator DO NOT negotiate over the phone.

Hell even if you are one, still don't.

Seconded

Even if you get the upper hand, not having a paper trail means whoever you were speaking to gets to spin it however they want to the people making the final decisions

I got screwed by this hard in a negotiation a few years back. Asked for $5k more or some more time to consider the offer, and the offer was straight-up pulled. Learnt through the grapevine later that the HR person I'd been speaking to characterized that as "being combative" to the hiring manager, even though afaik I was speaking in standard office-ese.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If so, that HR person probably saved your rear end from unwittingly stepping into a couple years of misery.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Current role is countering my senior director offer, I'll see later today/tomorrow what they come up with.

Now, I get it. Essentially everyone says to never take a counter. However my current role is chill af (and it's on the client side, vs. the other role on the agency side, aka probably at least 2x more work), current boss is annoying but not sapping my soul, and the health benefits are excellent and MUCH cheaper.

I'd be extremely tempted to keep posting during 90% of my workday while never being contacted on nights or weekends if they came up to a TC of $175ish (vs. $200k at the new role). I know this is a bad idea but I'm as lazy as I am greedy so it may be a hard decision.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
It’s a tough game: who is the bigger foe, the company or yourself? Double negotiation!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 8, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

stellers bae posted:

Current role is countering my senior director offer, I'll see later today/tomorrow what they come up with.

Now, I get it. Essentially everyone says to never take a counter. However my current role is chill af (and it's on the client side, vs. the other role on the agency side, aka probably at least 2x more work), current boss is annoying but not sapping my soul, and the health benefits are excellent and MUCH cheaper.

I'd be extremely tempted to keep posting during 90% of my workday while never being contacted on nights or weekends if they came up to a TC of $175ish (vs. $200k at the new role). I know this is a bad idea but I'm as lazy as I am greedy so it may be a hard decision.

I mean, you can take the counter as long as you're okay with and prepared for abruptly becoming unemployed (with severance or unemployment comp for a while) in about 4-6 months.

If Newjob's benefits package is worse/more expensive than Currentjob's you definitely need to take that into consideration when determining how much salary you need to make the jump.

IMO if laziness/contentedness is as big a factor as you say, you're probably better off declining the offer and remaining at your current salary than you are shopping the offer to your current employer to match. The latter gets you more money for a few months but very likely results in them bouncing you once they've prepared to replace you more cheaply.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 8, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have something interesting about to happen. After fully remote work due to COVID, my company is bringing people back to the office.

I'm planning to negotiate to stay 3 days remote permanently.

When is the right time to bring this up? The plan is to go to 1 day on next week, then 2 on the week after that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Asap I'd imagine. Why wait?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xguard86 posted:

Asap I'd imagine. Why wait?

I was weighing over 'now' or 'once we're at 2 days on-site just ask if I could stay that way'.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Quackles posted:

I was weighing over 'now' or 'once we're at 2 days on-site just ask if I could stay that way'.

100% now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

stellers bae posted:

Alrighty, we've been watching you do this find a new job/don't find a new job dance for like 3 months now. The potential new job met all your demands, you should feel very validated right now, but you still want to go back to your current job and push them for even more?

Like I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you've already won a couple times now. What exactly are you looking for?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think you're better off asking up front. Are you worried there might be more repercussions than just a no?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xguard86 posted:

I think you're better off asking up front. Are you worried there might be more repercussions than just a no?

No. I just suspect that I'll have a better shot once I'm already at 2 days remote because "I'd like things to stay this way" is usually an easier sell than "I'd like to change things" in general.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

skipdogg posted:

Alrighty, we've been watching you do this find a new job/don't find a new job dance for like 3 months now. The potential new job met all your demands, you should feel very validated right now, but you still want to go back to your current job and push them for even more?

Like I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you've already won a couple times now. What exactly are you looking for?

Wait, was there already an ask for the current company to pay more this year? Or was that just considered and then discarded when the decision was made to not leave?

I'm so confused now haha.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stellers bae posted:

why are you loving about with staying with a company that you have very clearly described as going in to a death spiral in the corp thread?

you have a decision making and complacency problem as far as I can tell

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Walking away from a bridge that's on fire isn't the same as burning it.

Chiasmus
May 17, 2008

stellers bae posted:

If your post history is to be believed, you've gone from making $75k to $200k (potentially) in 30 months time. That's a pretty incredible feat. Without sounding like a prick, it seems like imposter syndrome is creeping up on you and you're trying to split the difference by making more money where you are already comfortable.

If you are really "doing nothing" for a big part of the day at your current job, then you should know that's not going to last forever either. Your organization could hit hard times or even just bring it a new executive who figures out that there is a lot of slack in your department and you could end up putting in much more work with the same salary.

It's easy for strangers on the internet to tell you what to do (take the job), but take a long hard look at my first two sentences and see if that's what you're really wrestling with. What is it that you really want?

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Chiasmus posted:

If your post history is to be believed, you've gone from making $75k to $200k (potentially) in 30 months time. That's a pretty incredible feat. Without sounding like a prick, it seems like imposter syndrome is creeping up on you and you're trying to split the difference by making more money where you are already comfortable.

If you are really "doing nothing" for a big part of the day at your current job, then you should know that's not going to last forever either. Your organization could hit hard times or even just bring it a new executive who figures out that there is a lot of slack in your department and you could end up putting in much more work with the same salary.

It's easy for strangers on the internet to tell you what to do (take the job), but take a long hard look at my first two sentences and see if that's what you're really wrestling with. What is it that you really want?

I think this is accurate. I'm nervous about two things, a.) I really value my free time with my family and would definitely bristle if I had to routinely work outside normal hours, and b.) I'm nervous that I'm not going to be able to do this job well, and that it'll be harder to handwave that away due to the prominence of this role in the org.

Then again, I can make anything work for 9-12 months and like everyone has said, on paper, everything should be gravy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Quackles posted:

No. I just suspect that I'll have a better shot once I'm already at 2 days remote because "I'd like things to stay this way" is usually an easier sell than "I'd like to change things" in general.

I mean same logic except my detail is that whoever made this plan is already living in that future in their head.

So the sooner you ask the less intertia.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why are you loving about with staying with a company that you have very clearly described as going in to a death spiral in the corp thread?

you have a decision making and complacency problem as far as I can tell

Oh poo poo, I didn't make the connection that it was stellars in the corporate thread.

Yeah that is some world class complacency-driven cognitive dissonance going on there.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't make the connection that it was stellars in the corporate thread.

Yeah that is some world class complacency-driven cognitive dissonance going on there.

Just because you've consistently offered good advice doesn't mean you can describe me accurately now

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

stellers bae posted:

I think this is accurate. I'm nervous about two things, a.) I really value my free time with my family and would definitely bristle if I had to routinely work outside normal hours, and b.) I'm nervous that I'm not going to be able to do this job well, and that it'll be harder to handwave that away due to the prominence of this role in the org.

Unless it is explicitly stated in your offer that you have to work uncompensated overtime every week, just take the new job, work 8-5, make bank, and gently caress anyone who tries to tell you that you need to work more. :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cognitive dissonance is a bitch, we all go through it from time to time and by definition we can never perceive it when it's happening to us. Others perceive it when our actions don't align with our words.

Trying to help you as best I can here. Can you pull what you've said in the two threads together and write out the best case you can make for staying where you are?

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

thank you thread :)

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 13, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

Unless it is explicitly stated in your offer that you have to work uncompensated overtime every week, just take the new job, work 8-5, make bank, and gently caress anyone who tries to tell you that you need to work more. :shrug:

that ain't really how it works at a Senior Director level at a professional services firm in the USA

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that ain't really how it works at a Senior Director level at a professional services firm in the USA

Coincidentally, it's probably also why I don't enjoy early promotions...

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Yeah, you'll be new. That's the time to set a precedent for your methods of working. Every time I've started a new job, I make it a point to never check my email on the weekend, evenings, or during vacation. When I'm on vacation (whether it's for a single day or a whole week), I make my out-of-office reply state that I likely won't have email access. If you start off with that (unspoken) policy on your end, you have a really good chance of achieving a pretty normal schedule.

I've done this at pretty much every job I've been at and it's never been a problem. If I'm taking a longer vacation, I even let people know that if there's an absolute emergency, they can text me- which only ever happened once, on the first day of my planned vacation, and the request was literally 15 minutes of work to just email someone a file so they could work on it. There have certainly been times where there were legitimate emergencies and I had to work for part of a weekend or later into the evening than normal, but it is very rare (once a year or less). All of these were well after I had (again, unofficially) demonstrated that I am not an evening/weekend/vacation email checker for quite a while.

If you start your new job and immediately are in overachiever mode, rushing to respond to every email no matter when they come in, replying to emails on vacation, working on the weekends, etc., it will be very hard for people not to expect that from you permanently.

Granted, this all relies on you not working for an rear end in a top hat/sociopath, but barring that, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting decent hours that you want if it's a new job. (That said, I have no experience in a role as high up as Senior Director, so there may be a little less leeway there.)

TL;DR- Right off the bat, set a precedent of not checking your email after hours or when you're off. If you come in new and are working all hours of the day, people will assume that is how you work for the rest of your time being employed there. Since you're a Senior Director, if someone does ask you to work more though, you probably can't go with the "gently caress off" method.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm looking for new work either full remote or in the bay area, and am currently employed full time. A lot of the applicable job postings I see are for contract positions, some on w2 some not.

Due to my partner I have the ability to work contract as I can get health insurance through them, but obviously would rather have a full time gig rather than contract. I also don't have to get a job for up to 6 months as we don't need to move to the bay till then.

How do I evaluate pay rates for contract positions, and is there a difference between on w2 or not? I've heard it needs to be at least double what you would expect as a salaried employee, is that still the case?

If it matters this is for a somewhat specialized computer toucher role in pharmaceuticals.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

stellers bae posted:

If I was the hiring manager of the company offering 200K and you turned me down to stay where you were after all that back and forth I would be beyond pissed. Not that me being pissed matters to you but you will definitely be burning that bridge to the ground.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It seems much better to take $200k, give it a shot, and start looking elsewhere after 6-12 months if it’s not a good fit.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There are probably a lot of reasons at your current job why you went through all the effort of interviewing and negotiating a new job. Is a raise really going to fix those problems?

I don’t know your situation, but in general people who are already one foot out the door ought to follow through if they were put in that position in the first place.

Change can be really good. It can also be scary. And if it turns out to be a bit poo poo you can look for a new job with a higher baseline title and comp target. I’ve never regretted leaving an old job, even when I waffled about it in the moment.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Sr director in prof services might be a lot but you're setting up for Sr director in a corp job. Which could very well be decent hours plus the better money.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Well I was talking w/ Company C Thursday night, asked a few questions last night, and they come back today and tell me they hired somebody :wtc: this whole thing has been so weird, I ain’t that mad about it since they came to me (twice), but whatever. I did mention the “offer” (which they never made formally despite pushing for new discussion) to B, we’ll see if it ends up leveraging me up at all.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

If it matters this is for a somewhat specialized computer toucher role in pharmaceuticals.

Could you expand on the kind of role you're targeting? Data management, data science, something else entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
LIMS (laboratory information management services) admin / business analyst. Also known as LIS in some places, laboratory information services