Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Faye seems to be doing great but I have no clue who's going to head up WMH now.

PP pay your god drat people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
The fact that they’re still operating after anno Covid 2020 I would count as a miracle. They lost so much business going to a direct order only distribution model. To the point where I posted in amazement a month or two ago that I actually saw their product on a FLGS store shelf, which has been missing from my experience long enough that it was a novelty when it happened.

I don’t know how they’re making money to stay open, let alone to pay employees a living wage in Seattle.

I’d be really interested to find out if Hungy is to the company their previous devs left to start a couple years back.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

You mean the stores have to direct order? I mean I don't think that was intentional but yeah it sucks.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

koreban posted:

I don’t know how they’re making money to stay open, let alone to pay employees a living wage in Seattle.

This is not a thing they have ever done, for the record

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

S.J. posted:

You mean the stores have to direct order? I mean I don't think that was intentional but yeah it sucks.

Around here, initial news was that the major eastern Canada distributor had dropped them. It's seeming it was probably the other way around. End result is that my FLGS still has lots of Privateer Press stuff, but the stocking is now totally bonkers.

As much as their games are good and their models are great, PP can't seem to handle the business end of things in a rational way. My local store sold lots of their product, but had only negatives things to say about dealing with them at a corpoate. Which is probably why they've moved into Kickstarter so hard. It's a much simpler business model to operate under.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

That leaves Jason Soles as the main designer again and that guy sucks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gorefiend posted:

That leaves Jason Soles as the main designer again and that guy sucks.

i kind of wanted to ask about this because i vaguely remembered reading about popular and unpopular designers on the game while i was catching up on the thread, but i couldn't remember who was who or why people felt that way

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i kind of wanted to ask about this because i vaguely remembered reading about popular and unpopular designers on the game while i was catching up on the thread, but i couldn't remember who was who or why people felt that way

Soles is the guy who posted that if he had his way putting too many measuring tools or proxy bases down would be an instant DQ from an event.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Would the last one to leave please put the Gyrmkin starter boxes down by the trash. Thank you...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Soles decided that because DC could create his own faction (convergence, who had been a part of the lore since the iron kingdoms was just a d20 setting, and who perfectly fit the steampunk/clockwork aesthetic of the world) that meant he could do it too (grymkin, which clash horribly with every other aspect of the setting because they’re literally just Malifaux Neverborn).

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Does this mean that the current Warmachine loremaster is the guy responsible for the Grymkin?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

He's also responsible for the awful poetry that introduced them and wears a leather trenchcoat to cons.

Yes he has gerbil skulls in his office, why do you ask?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Soles decided that because DC could create his own faction (convergence, who had been a part of the lore since the iron kingdoms was just a d20 setting, and who perfectly fit the steampunk/clockwork aesthetic of the world) that meant he could do it too (grymkin, which clash horribly with every other aspect of the setting because they’re literally just Malifaux Neverborn).

Who is DC in this?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Who is DC in this?

David Carl. He was the lead designer up until shortly before the MK3 announcement.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I like Grymkin. But then I prefer the Horde aesthetic to Warmachine.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Gorefiend posted:

David Carl. He was the lead designer up until shortly before the MK3 announcement.

Ah, OK, so it shouldn't really be strange for him to design a faction then?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Grymkin loving own actually.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Now I'm reminded of how much I dislike their aesthetic and how they clash with everything else in Warmahordes.

look @ me gettin' mad at toy soldiers ITT

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

S.J. posted:

Grymkin loving own actually.

Not an empty quote

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I mean, it's both. Grymkin are conceptually cool (never played or played against them so no idea there) and their aesthetic absolutely does not mesh with the rest of the game.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Glad to see this thread get lively again, bummed that it's just the grymkin version of PBF's skub comic

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
There's good news too in that the Arcane Assist team had there first game together in a year and what not. Maybe some battle reports will start popping up again soon.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Gorefiend posted:

He's also responsible for the awful poetry that introduced them

I often think about that. It was SO bad. Abysmally so. It was hard to watch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I played my first game of MK3 -- I was running Abyslonia2 vs. my opponent's Crosse2, 25 points each using the Brawlmachine ruleset.

It was purely a tutorial game for teaching purposes, with both of us asking and being allowed to take stuff back or do things in different orders, but I'm still pretty proud of how it turned out -- my opponent hadn't played against Legion very much and underestimated Absylonia's ability to bring all her beasts in for an assassination run on her feat turn, so even though he'd been very careful to spread a bunch of Shield Guard units out to cover for his caster and block places where my beasts would want to land, I was able to clear most of them out with Zuriel and Craelix, tag his Warcaster with Zuriel's sprays, and then finish him off with my Neraph.

(He'd anticipated the Neraph being used for this but hadn't realized how much of a threat Zuriel was going to be -- and for my part I barely knew what Zuriel did myself until I went to attack with him, read his card, and went "jesus christ".)

I got complimented on how well I played for a new player and I'm looking forward to playing more games on the LoS Discord server -- there was one guy being weird in general chat the day I first arrived, but that seems to have been an aberration, overall the community is really friend and helpful.

e: I played almost entirely with models I own in real life, but I don't have Craelix and definitely want to pick him up. As absolutely disgusting as Zuriel is and much as he was the real star of the show, Craelix also seems really good at clean-up for his very modest point cost, and he's potentially free in-theme.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 14, 2021

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm just finding out about this setting.

Where do the Hordes live?

Are Rhul, Ord, and Llael mean to be represented by ingame factions?

1d4chan says there is an evolving storyline that is represented in what minis are made. How are the setting advances broadcasted?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

1d4chan says there is an evolving storyline that is represented in what minis are made. How are the setting advances broadcasted?

Llael is represented by 2 Mercenary casters, a specific type of gun mage and a Mercenary theme force "The Llaelese Resistance" - https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Theme_-_Llaelese_Resistance

Ord is also represented by some Mercenaries (Captain Bart and a few others) but also sort of acts as the home of the Crucible Guard https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Crucible_Guard

Rhul basically only has Mercenary representation as well - thought it has 3 casters so you go to a Masters event with 3 Rhulic lists - https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Theme_-_Hammer_Strike

There's a good high res map you can zoom in on here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3N8elFNx1xvQUMwdVZieDN4WUE/view?resourcekey=0-HiIgtyoHsUDR7XmDSdpNTg

The Hordes factions (with the exception of Minions Farrow/Blindwater who are a lot smaller in scale) all sort of live within the cracks of the big named nations. The Trollblood Kriels have been pushed to the edges of their territories by everyone - see the Thornwood forest, The Glimmerwood and The Gnarls. The Circle live anywhere where there's trees and nature, and travel around geomantically. Legion are always sneaking around, can communicate via Athanc. Skorne are the exception -they've come from the far far east where they have a massive empire, have crossed a massive desert and are setup to invade the rest of the countries at places like the Balaash Fortress you can see in the Bloodstone Marches.

Harkano fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 15, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Harkano posted:

Llael is represented by 2 Mercenary casters, a specific type of gun mage and a Mercenary theme force "The Llaelese Resistance" - https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Theme_-_Llaelese_Resistance

Ord is also represented by some Mercenaries (Captain Bart and a few others) but also sort of acts as the home of the Crucible Guard https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Crucible_Guard

Rhul basically only has Mercenary representation as well - thought it has 3 casters so you go to a Masters event with 3 Rhulic lists - https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Theme_-_Hammer_Strike

There's a good high res map you can zoom in on here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3N8elFNx1xvQUMwdVZieDN4WUE/view?resourcekey=0-HiIgtyoHsUDR7XmDSdpNTg

The Hordes factions (with the exception of Minions Farrow/Blindwater who are a lot smaller in scale) all sort of live within the cracks of the big named nations. The Trollblood Kriels have been pushed to the edges of there territories by everyone - see the Thornwood forest, The Glimmerwood and The Gnarls. The Circle live anywhere where there's trees and nature, and travel around geomantically. Legion are always sneaking around, can communicate via Athanc. Skorne are the exception -they've come from the far far east where they have a massive empire, have crossed a massive desert and are setup to invade the rest of the countries at places like the Balaash Fortress you can see in the Bloodstone Marches.

And the Cephalyx live underground!

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

!Klams posted:

And the Cephalyx live underground!

Yeah everything is done with that nice wargame style "everyone can fight everyone else" universe setup. All the main nations share borders, all the hordes factions can move between the cracks of the proper nations, and then people like Cephalyx, Cryx travel underground and can appear anywhere. Convergence also has a kind of floaty "spinning cog temples hidden in major magical locations in the wilds where we can teleport armies to wherever we need them" vibe.

Man I missed when they did lore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I bought into one three of the PP Mystery boxes and drew Skorne (MKIII Battle Box, cataphract cetari, and desert Hydra), Cygnar (MKIII Battle Box, Trencher Infantry, and Stormwall/Hurricane), and Convergence (Galvanizer, Mitigator, Perforators, Prime Axiom/Conflux). There were also some brushes, template sets, "Thamarite Black" tokens, a bunch of pins, and a plush Deathripper.

I'll probably never use it but that Desert Hydra will look cool on my desk at work, and now I'm really into Skorne :negative:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I've been honestly thinking about trying to offload my Cygnar to someone, but I also desperately want a Storm Knight update that will make me want to use my boys in blue again :negative:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Baron Porkface posted:

There's a lot of great setting material in the RPG line (the one that isn't for D&D 3.5, so stuff like Kings, Nations & Gods, Unleashed, etc.) that will fill you in about the setting - the old MK2 army books also had a lot of general info about the respective factions, but if you want common, everyday stuff you should stick to the RPG line and its many supplements. The newest version of the RPG (for D&D 5e) is different because it represents the current state of the setting, with major changes (like the Protectorate no longer existing as a political entity in the mainland, basically). The setting is kind of in a weird place right now, the main writer for basically the entirety of the setting's history left the company and according to the source (Warcaster, Riot Quest or the newest RPG line) the setting either stopped existing, became a post-apoc wasteland or is chugging along after the Infernal Invasion.

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 16, 2021

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

And I thought Battletech was mismanaged.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The next Warcaster Kickstarter drops July 13: Warcaster: The Thousand Worlds and among other things it finally gives us a real book with lore and rules. Also a bunch of new models, several of which have really heavy Convergence vibes.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

koreban posted:

I’d be really interested to find out if Hungy is to the company their previous devs left to start a couple years back.

He went to Broken Anvil Miniatures as lead game designer for Dungeon Delvers. I never saw the kickstarter for this game, and I did a cursory check of the website, which had a couple of cartoony STL files for 3d printing. Maybe something comes of it.

Also, I had some paypal cash sitting around and figured I'd go for a mystery box, maybe for some inspiration or something, I dunno.. I got the Grymkin kit, which seems to be exactly the same as everyone's grymkin kit: hollowmen, piggybacks, dread rots, witchwood, gorehound, lord longfellow, plus the pins/brush/measuring templates.

I don't know what I expected, but after checking warmachine university, it looks like bad options almost all around and nothing really good toward either of the themes, either for brawlmachine or full-blown warmahordes. It's not the most disappointing $60 I ever wasted on miniatures, not by a longshot, but I sort of asked for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rantmo posted:

The next Warcaster Kickstarter drops July 13: Warcaster: The Thousand Worlds and among other things it finally gives us a real book with lore and rules. Also a bunch of new models, several of which have really heavy Convergence vibes.

Goddamn it, I really need to hunker down and work on the Warcasters I have already :retrogames:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The one Mystery Box I got was the Cygnar one, exactly what I was hoping for, and so I've never pushed my luck again. I've also neither assembled nor painted anything from it (I think, though the Ironclad I turned into Gallant might have come from there.)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

koreban posted:

He went to Broken Anvil Miniatures as lead game designer for Dungeon Delvers. I never saw the kickstarter for this game, and I did a cursory check of the website, which had a couple of cartoony STL files for 3d printing. Maybe something comes of it.

Also, I had some paypal cash sitting around and figured I'd go for a mystery box, maybe for some inspiration or something, I dunno.. I got the Grymkin kit, which seems to be exactly the same as everyone's grymkin kit: hollowmen, piggybacks, dread rots, witchwood, gorehound, lord longfellow, plus the pins/brush/measuring templates.

I don't know what I expected, but after checking warmachine university, it looks like bad options almost all around and nothing really good toward either of the themes, either for brawlmachine or full-blown warmahordes. It's not the most disappointing $60 I ever wasted on miniatures, not by a longshot, but I sort of asked for it.

This all looks dope AF. Definitely glad I went with Marchers, I love the look of those jump packs.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn it, I really need to hunker down and work on the Warcasters I have already :retrogames:

Yeah I've painted none of them, though I did start testing the color scheme I want to use for my AE--not a terribly successful test alas--and I did start building and magnetizing one of my Scourges, which I should finish. Along with all of the rest of them. And finding anyone else who plays it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rantmo posted:

Yeah I've painted none of them, though I did start testing the color scheme I want to use for my AE--not a terribly successful test alas--and I did start building and magnetizing one of my Scourges, which I should finish. Along with all of the rest of them. And finding anyone else who plays it.

I've got my ISA and Marcher starters painted and ready, and a squad of Marcher heavy support half painted. I just don't have a good space to work at the moment, my current work area has been overrun with other things for a minute. I got it cleared and started work on the Desert Hydra I got a few weeks back, but it's covered with clothes for donations right now, I got about 3 days out of it.

My roommate got me a desk for my birthday, 6 months ago, which is about 80% finished, but she won't let me finish it. It's also covered in her stuff now, so I don't think I'm actually going to get it.

Apartment life is not the most conductive for minis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Holy poo poo, they just buffed Cygnar's Storm Division and a bunch of Warjacks (mostly by making them cheaper.) Stormblades sure looks like they've become really good and Stormguard might actually be worth taking now maybe?