Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Roth posted:

No it wasn't.

There was a short released years after the show where Beast Boy guesses it's Jason Todd, and then they keep unmasking him to increasingly ridiculous results.

In the show itself they never ponder who it is beyond that he's somebody smart enough to steal the suit, and dumb enough to actually use it.

My brain has failed me :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wasn't that a Go short?

Regardless, it was dumb mystery then and a really dumb mystery in the comic now.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Honestly, I am just mad that the writer of the new Shazam series is the same guy who wrote the nearly unreadable Future State Shazam.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Azubah posted:

Wasn't that a Go short?

Regardless, it was dumb mystery then and a really dumb mystery in the comic now.

https://youtu.be/GD9fuqea-Do

The original series never really cared who Red X actually was. It was more of a fandom thing of people trying to speculate on a mystery that the show wasn't interested.

Red X works best if he's just some guy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Crush and Lobo was a pretty fun opening book, but if you are expecting over the top Lobo violence this is probably not that kind of book.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

Crush and Lobo was a pretty fun opening book, but if you are expecting over the top Lobo violence this is probably not that kind of book.

well not yet anyways.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Madkal posted:

didn't read teen titans but i do enjoy a gay disaster so it was good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

but i do enjoy a gay disaster

I have so many questions

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

didn't read teen titans but i do enjoy a gay disaster so it was good

Do not read teen titans. It is a bad book.

Crush and Lobo was enjoyable.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I have so many questions

Sometimes men and women like people of the same gender as them. Hope that helps, Rhyno.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

Sometimes men and women like people of the same gender as them. Hope that helps, Rhyno.

Calling that a disaster seems pretty harsh to me. Tut tut.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Crush is bad at getting emotionally close to people. This obviously hampers her romantic relationships. Crush just so happens to prefer people of the same gender.

Crush's girlfriend's parents were extremely creepy though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was told that LOSH was good so I started catching up and whomever told me that is a lying butt because this book is all the worst things.

Okay that's all!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I was told that LOSH was good so I started catching up and whomever told me that is a lying butt because this book is all the worst things.

Okay that's all!

Yeah. Whoever told you that was either messing with you or has awful taste.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Honestly, I am just mad that the writer of the new Shazam series is the same guy who wrote the nearly unreadable Future State Shazam.

Man, Cap just can't catch a break, comic-writer wise.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Do not read teen titans. It is a bad book.

There's MAYBE a three year stretch that keeps this from being an evergreen post.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Claytor posted:

There's MAYBE a three year stretch that keeps this from being an evergreen post.

The las storyline/volume with Damian, Crush, Kid Flash and the others was a fun read.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Far Sector is a wrap and loving ruled, don't sleep on the hardcover when it comes out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't read the last issue, but I have been shocked how well Jemesin wrote comics. She didn't have the typical prose writer problem of putting in way too many captions.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Space Fish posted:

Far Sector is a wrap and loving ruled, don't sleep on the hardcover when it comes out.

:hmmyes:

Best Green Lantern book in years, and it isn't even close. Grant Morrison might have dared to ask "What if GL was a cop?" but Far Sector dared to ask "What if GL was actually a science fiction story?"

Far Sector has actually gotten me to try out some of Jemisin's novels and so far so good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Far Sector has actually gotten me to try out some of Jemisin's novels and so far so good.
Jemisin is the only author to win the Hugo award for Best SF Novel in three straight years. She's good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Morrison's lantern was one of the biggest let downs in comics for me in years. I was expecting them to go hard like they did on Batman but there was just nothing special about it. I should check out Far Sector.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

All I really remember about Morrison's Lantern in hindsight is the dude who has an exploding volcano for a head.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I remember the cover where he's arresting God. I don't remember anything in the issue itself.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I remember there being a spider alien criminal who got freaked out when she saw people with fewer than eight legs.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the sound lantern was responsible for patrolling the dark sector

that was pretty cool

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I remember the cover where he's arresting God. I don't remember anything in the issue itself.

An extremely obvious global warming parallel where "God" is going to eat the Earth in a few decades and gives everyone on the planet superpowers to distract them from the situation culminating in a scene where Hal asks the UN if they're really going to throw away their children's futures for temporary gratification and the UN rep basically responding with "Yep!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Quotey posted:

the sound lantern was responsible for patrolling the dark sector

that was pretty cool

Wasn’t that from the story that introduced him by Alan moore? I just read morrisons run and it was complete white noise.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

I remember there being a spider alien criminal who got freaked out when she saw people with fewer than eight legs.

That interrogation scene was my favorite part of the book, so it peaked at issue 4.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That issue with Green Arrow was a lot of fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Open Marriage Night posted:

That issue with Green Arrow was a lot of fun.

actually yeah that was the real best issue

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I think we can all agree Blackstars killed the book.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

DC needs to add Gregorio in more books until he somehow becomes their most prominent South American character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Claytor posted:

It is kind of a shame you have to hunt for a run of Titans that wasn't "mediocre, considering" at best.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
TTA just feels like it's written by someone who really loved the cartoon and Red X and just kind of stitched in the relevant comics stuff on top of that to fit the current continuity. Red X really should've been a later arc if they HAD to do it.

It's a shame because I was on board for the TT Academy idea from the outset but the execution and use of page space has been incredibly wanting for anything interesting.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Morrison's run peaked with Bat Manson

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn’t that from the story that introduced him by Alan moore? I just read morrisons run and it was complete white noise.
Much of Geoff Johns' work was taking backup stories Alan Moore wrote and making them into grand events

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Barbara Gordon was a republican house member pre-crisis.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Did they retcon her into a Republican at some point because the initial story of her running for Congress very deliberately avoided using real party names, but she ran on the "Fusion Faction" ticket arguing for prison reform, gun control, and relying on a bunch of counter-culture coded college volunteers and a hip young black lady as her rag-tag campaign team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

Did they retcon her into a Republican at some point because the initial story of her running for Congress very deliberately avoided using real party names, but she ran on the "Fusion Faction" ticket arguing for prison reform, gun control, and relying on a bunch of counter-culture coded college volunteers and a hip young black lady as her rag-tag campaign team.

Yeah. For anyone interested in fact-checking along, the most relevant issues are Detective Comics #422-424, which came out in 1972, and then she appears sporadically as a congressperson until 1980, when she gets a new backup feature in Detective starting with #490. She gets a new job in #491 and is referred to as "ex-congresswoman" by some guy so I guess things she was done with politics.

In those two bookend stories the scripts go out of their way to not specify her as a Democrat or a Republic. As E&C notes, she is running on the "Fusion Faction" platform which at times seems to be its very own third party, sometimes less so. It's you know, possible that in the eight years between #424 and #490 somebody came along and said she was a Republican, or it could have been a later retcon (???) but I'd be honestly surprised by either.