Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

cruft posted:

Hi I'm on a road trip. DC charging right now.

I'm realizing that a 250kW supercharger would actually suck here because I wouldn't have time to run in to Starbucks, I'd have to sit out there so I don't rack up idle fees.

Hmm.

Idle fees only kick in if the station is at least 50% in use, plus there’s a 5 minute grace period after charging completes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

borkencode posted:

Idle fees only kick in if the station is at least 50% in use, plus there’s a 5 minute grace period after charging completes.

Holy poo poo, you're right.

A whole new world of sandwiches and outlet mall shopping just opened up for me!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, the app gives you alerts when you’re nearing charge completion and then as you get closer to acruing fees, as well. They don’t want your money, they just want you to clear the charger.

Unlike say, hotel managers with ChargePoint stations set to go into $20/hr mode after an hour of charging, even if you’re still charging.

You know who you are…

…Thunderbird Inn, Savannah. (Whose stations are no longer there I loving WONDER WHY)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hello from Albuquerque, where two interstates cross and there are six whole V2 superchargers, at 150kW per pair! Also, Applebee's!

I might just buy a CCS or Chademo converter. Waiting at this charging point blows.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cruft posted:

Hello from Albuquerque, where two interstates cross and there are six whole V2 superchargers, at 150kW per pair! Also, Applebee's!

I might just buy a CCS or Chademo converter. Waiting at this charging point blows.

Assuming you're from out of town... you're like a quarter mile south of La Cumbre brewing, which is very good and next door to a pretty decent Hawaiian place. Otherwise if you head a little bit east on Menaul you'll find Mac's Steak in the Rough, a drive-in restaurant that specializes in battered steak strips. Of course there's also shitloads of New Mexican food around but that goes without saying.

Man, I miss Albuquerque.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Assuming you're from out of town... you're like a quarter mile south of La Cumbre brewing, which is very good and next door to a pretty decent Hawaiian place. Otherwise if you head a little bit east on Menaul you'll find Mac's Steak in the Rough, a drive-in restaurant that specializes in battered steak strips. Of course there's also shitloads of New Mexican food around but that goes without saying.

Man, I miss Albuquerque.

Yeah I grew up here. I only need 15 minutes of charge though, after the 40 minute wait for a charger.

Oh, no, make that 30 minutes. Shared 150kW. I forgot.

:argh:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Is this thread for hybrids too? Looks like Ford had another shot left in the chamber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW9n234a1M8

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Is this thread for hybrids too? Looks like Ford had another shot left in the chamber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW9n234a1M8

Looks great!

Now make it a BEV so I can get my Mega Power Frunk on this much nicer body size.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hell yeah, time for small trucks to make a comeback.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It'll probably be a while until a truck that size comes as an EV here in the states since nobody wants to offer one with less than 200 miles at the moment, but who know what they'll offer down the line.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It'll probably be a while until a truck that size comes as an EV here in the states since nobody wants to offer one with less than 200 miles at the moment, but who know what they'll offer down the line.

Yeah, which makes sense. Still 40mpg is pretty solid for that kind of aero profile. My Ford Escape doesn't average much better. Kinda want to know how they are pulling that off when the Explorer and Toyota Highlander hybrids are stuck in the low-mid 30s.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I would totally be all over a BEV or even a decent PHEV Maverick.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yeah, which makes sense. Still 40mpg is pretty solid for that kind of aero profile. My Ford Escape doesn't average much better. Kinda want to know how they are pulling that off when the Explorer and Toyota Highlander hybrids are stuck in the low-mid 30s.

It looks like its basically car size despite looking like a truck. In this one shot it barely comes to the guy's shoulder. Best guess is its a Baja with truckier styling.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

It is basically an Escape with a truck bed.

And FWD only helps with the milage too.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Why can't they just make that a single cab pickup???

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

MrYenko posted:

Ya, the app gives you alerts when you’re nearing charge completion and then as you get closer to acruing fees, as well. They don’t want your money, they just want you to clear the charger.

Unlike say, hotel managers with ChargePoint stations set to go into $20/hr mode after an hour of charging, even if you’re still charging.

You know who you are…

…Thunderbird Inn, Savannah. (Whose stations are no longer there I loving WONDER WHY)

Lol, my wife and I have stayed at the Thunderbird a few times, and I always thought it was cool they had an EV charger. But I guess...not.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Humerus posted:

Lol, my wife and I have stayed at the Thunderbird a few times, and I always thought it was cool they had an EV charger. But I guess...not.

It was either the owners (or more likely to me, the manager) being completely ignorant of why an EV charger at a hotel is an attraction in the first place, or it was flat out maliciously scammy.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Zero One posted:

It is basically an Escape with a truck bed.

And FWD only helps with the milage too.

My wife loves our Escape.

She was giving me huge push back on the lightning because it was going to be to big for her to drive (4'10") and would barely fit inside our garage. Also dealing with getting home charging up and working. Also the price was an issue. I just specced out a lariat first edition on the reservation page and it came out $500 bucks less than our escape we bought last year as soon as that hit the market. $32,855.

Showed her that pick of the dude standing next to it for ride height.

Looks like i'm probably gonna put in a reservation for it!

FWD only kinda stinks, but honestly I know that I just need to get over myself and get winter tires instead of relying in all-seasons all the time.

Just fyi, the non lariat editions really cut back on the tech. No sync3 at all on the two lower base models. Honestly, the $32,855 pricing version is probably the one to get if you want decent quality of life stuff, but honestly at the price your still like 20 grand less than an F150 of similar features. Yeah it can't haul and tow like an F150, but man for your average soccer mom or weekend warrior it's plenty.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I really want a Rav4 Prime but I physically cannot bring myself to pay over MSRP for one. Sad times.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I'm surprised that VW hasn't made a version of the ID-whatever EV that is a retro Caddy. FWD single cab trucklet.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

stellers bae posted:

I really want a Rav4 Prime but I physically cannot bring myself to pay over MSRP for one. Sad times.

I am thinking about going with a RAV4 Hybrid for the same reason. I’d love to have a Prime, but I’m just about as lucky to find one of those in the wild as I am a unicorn or a jackalope.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I am really interested in the hybrid baby Ranger/Ridgeline bastard that is Corolla priced. I have an aging Honda Fit that I will need to replace someday and this seems perfect for it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Look at that cute fuckin' truck!

LOOK AT IT!

I would seriously consider replacing the LEAF with this thing if it were full electric. Don't want another gas car though.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Anyone had experience with a Volvo in the T8 plugin hybrid trim?
What are some of the other PHEVs that have full electric heaters for staying full EV in the cold?

My Leaf is totaled and I'm considering a plug-in hybrid. Could go new or used on a phev. Otherwise, may go with a used EV since fast charging is awful around here and nothing is gonna really let me do weekend trips with the winter range drop. PHEV would let me get rid of my second vehicle.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 8, 2021

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

stellers bae posted:

I picked up a Honda Clarity PHEV recently and have been very happy with it.

e. The Clarity's climate control does not require the ICE, as well.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The Clarity seems to have another much worse downfall, no battery heater and it won't let the car start if it gets below -20F, which happens for weeks at a time in my area. This was all 2018-2019 info, so maybe that's been addressed.

Those have some nice EV range and mpg in hybrid.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there a recommended PHEV with the battery charger on the right side? I have street parking so I can't always grab a spot in front of my row house in Philly, but I can get it some times, usually once a week, which is all I really need to get a car charged to full for the driving I would typically use it for over that period of time. My thought is to just drop down a (thick gauge) extension wire from my house down to the car across the sidewalk, and top it with one of those little ramps you see being used to cover power cables at state fairs so people don't trip on it.

A charger that locks to the car so someone can't just run off with it is essential too.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
My range on the Niro has, according to the dash, been getting larger and larger. I have a 100% charge and supposedly 280 miles of range instead of 240. I know it gets better range in the summer but this is crazy. Last year it was 250 which was close enough to original that I didn't care. Is this a thing?

I've had it for 2 years and 38k miles.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 8, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sure is! It takes a lot less energy to use the AC than a heat pump or aux heater. Also, the warm air is less dense. Since EVs are very efficient vehicles plug-to-wheels, any efficiency loss is magnified compared to ICE vehicles.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

My range on the Niro has, according to the dash, been getting larger and larger. I have a 100% charge and supposedly 280 miles of range instead of 240. I know it gets better range in the summer but this is crazy. Last year it was 250 which was close enough to original that I didn't care. Is this a thing?

I've had it for 2 years and 38k miles.

Not completely sure about the Koreans' software, but the range display is probably based on some simple stuff like your recent drives plus ambient temperature. If it got updates recently they might have changed that algorithm as well.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The Ford Maverick is insane. 20k for a hybrid truck with 40 mpg? They are gonna sell so goddamn many. And it's small!!!!

Bring back the small trucks!!!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hopefully the maverick is the kick in the rear end Toyota needs to glue a synergy drive to a Tacoma engine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What is that, a pickup for ants?!?

(Looks pretty neat actually, but I question the utility of a short bed rather than an enclosed suv/cuv style hatch)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mate Rimac is one of the AIest guys alive and this interview is brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CSiIfwC5DI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxu2pjVozVM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

priznat posted:

What is that, a pickup for ants?!?

(Looks pretty neat actually, but I question the utility of a short bed rather than an enclosed suv/cuv style hatch)

good news if you want a CUV style hatch with the same underpinnings Ford already sells the Escape

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Maverick is still the size of an explorer and you can’t get AWD with the hybrid power train so I’m not sure how popular the base model will actually be. It’s small for a truck but big for a FWD CUV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Maverick is still the size of an explorer and you can’t get AWD with the hybrid power train so I’m not sure how popular the base model will actually be. It’s small for a truck but big for a FWD CUV.

it seems very odd to me that Ford declined to offer the AWD / Hybrid powertrain when the Escape already has it. I know there are some pretty substantial differences between the vehicles but that seems like a major oversight.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Hah, I think I spotted Elon's stage for Model S day:

It's really windy here. It'd be funny if the wind fucks it up before Thursday.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it seems very odd to me that Ford declined to offer the AWD / Hybrid powertrain when the Escape already has it. I know there are some pretty substantial differences between the vehicles but that seems like a major oversight.

Motortrend has an article on it, but basically the electric motor and CVT are different than the ones in the Escape so it’s not just a matter of swapping in the Escape AWD system.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Motortrend has an article on it, but basically the electric motor and CVT are different than the ones in the Escape so it’s not just a matter of swapping in the Escape AWD system.

Probably didn’t want to invest the engineering and tooling on a new design before getting legitimate sales figures to show it has a roi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Any thoughts on the Hyundai IONIQ Plug-in hybrid? It seems to have a pretty close efficiency to the Prius prime, about $2,000 cheaper, and it looks like they're offering another 3 grand off for the Hyundai over the next month.

Given that I'm thinking about charging it with a level 1 charger, it really has the largest battery I could really feasibly run with that charging speed, able to recharge it overnight to full.

Looks like no heat pump for winter and it runs the gas engine to heat the cabin, but then again, I imagine if you're trying to heat the cabin in, even with the efficiency gains you get from a heat pump, you'll probably burn through so much of the tiny battery that you're going to need to revert to the gas engine unless it's a REALLY short trip, so it probably is a wash, and maybe even simplifies the design.

With all the discounts and tax credit, it would come down to less than 20 grand for me, which seems like a pretty good deal.