Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I prefer fiction where there are two opposing political entities and people are divided up between them purely through circumstance so there are selfish and cruel and noble and good people on both sides

Also the ones where the "Good" side is actually evil and the "Evil" side is also evil and there are basically no good people in the world at all and trying to be good is foolish and self-destructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

docbeard posted:

Also the ones where the "Good" side is actually evil and the "Evil" side is also evil and there are basically no good people in the world at all and trying to be good is foolish and self-destructive.

No that sucks.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is that a thing outside of Harry Potter?

It’s increasingly common in YA world building. Avatar has its four bending styles/elemental nations which people easily insert themselves into (although those are more thought out, culturally), MtG recently did an expansion set in magic university with five colleges where each college was for a different flavor of sexy nerd, etc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

doverhog posted:

Is there some reasoning by which Slytherin and Voldemort are actually good?

Similar to how in SW the Republic and the Jedi were pretty poo poo and the Empire actually did bring order.

Rowling still wants to make money with expanded universe stuff so they did the usual thing where the explicit bad guys are actually just a land of contrasts. Selling merch from 4 groups is better than 3.

You know how every 3rd person on Twitter today describes themselves as 'chaotic' as if that's a good thing? They're all proudly Slytherin.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gripweed posted:

No that sucks.

Have to agree here. Without hope fiction, and life, serves no purpose.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s increasingly common in YA world building.

This is one of the many reasons YA universally sucks. Terrible authors, terrible fans. The ones over 13 years old anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is one of the many reasons YA universally sucks. Terrible authors, terrible fans. The ones over 13 years old anyway.

:mods:

:razz:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Sweevo posted:

I forget the exact quote, but there was a tweet to the effect of "According to Hogwarts all children are either brave, clever, evil, or boring".

https://mobile.twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/762038953721597953

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrJ5WvUec94&t=34s

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Welcome to Night Vale did this joke at least a few years earlier

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also the books specifically do explain that each of the four house founders got to pick kids they wanted. So the evil dude took evil kids, the other guy valued bravery, the next smarts, and the last was kind and took the leftovers.

It's not a comprehensive list of all possible personalities!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How do you know? I thought all record and memory of that show died with Tumblr?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I prefer fiction where there are two opposing political entities and people are divided up between them purely through circumstance so there are selfish and cruel and noble and good people on both sides

Captain America: Civil War must be the worst example of this.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

King Hong Kong posted:

I listen to “In Our Time” because every other podcast about academic topics is terrible but he cannot process any subtlety in historical interpretation and heaven forbid you suggest that the British were not the best at anything and everything to him.

i think bragg mostly does this to be a sounding board where he comes out with the great man theory or whatever he learned about the subject in school, for the guest to then explain why it's wrong

for academic stuff i mostly just listen to lectures. it's hard to find something that's brief and to the point and not stupid at the same time

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"world building" sucks rear end because if you must have a world that's different from our own in your story it's nearly always better to just have it be implied

like imagine if who framed roger rabbit had a whole explanation of why theres a toontown, where toons come from and how they're born, who judge doom was and so on, that would suck rear end, i accept the premise as it is and don't need to have it justified

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hogwarts except the four houses are Rich House, Frat House, Nerd House, and Stoner House, and none of the overarching problems get solved because the villain wisely carries out his plans either during hell week or finals

(IIRC the Hufflepuff professor teaches Herbology so this is probably already canon.)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

christmas boots posted:

(IIRC the Hufflepuff professor teaches Herbology so this is probably already canon.)

Literally called Hufflepuff, dude.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

harry potter is for morons and i dunno why people bother with that stuff

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shibawanko posted:

"world building" sucks rear end because if you must have a world that's different from our own in your story it's nearly always better to just have it be implied

I remember watching a Tolkien documentary once (it was either when the first movie came out, or may have been the 50th anniversary of LOTR). One of the people interviewed had worked for a publisher since the 60s and joked that Tolkien was the worst thing that ever happened to him, because about once a month he'd get a manuscript from some Tolkien wannabe that arrived in a crate. In the crate would be dozens of maps, dictionaries for made up languages, paintings of swords, fabric swatches for every outfit every character wears, family trees, "concept art", models of castles, etc. Then shoved in the bottom would be ~200 pages of cliched drivel so bad even vanity publishers would reject it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

harry potter is for morons and i dunno why people bother with that stuff

i read the first book by chance when I was 11 (i went to the local library a lot) and it was alright but I didn't really think anything of it and its mystifying to me that there are theme parks and 8 movies

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I feel the same way about Dune.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fizzymercury posted:

I feel the same way about Dune.

:hfive:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i read the first book by chance when I was 11 (i went to the local library a lot) and it was alright but I didn't really think anything of it and its mystifying to me that there are theme parks and 8 movies

This was me with game of thrones. Read the book and thought it was pretty poorly written. Powered through a couple more years later when a friend brought them up. Can't believe that's who got chosen for a big HBO special and don't know why people think he's a good writer.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Have to agree here. Without hope fiction, and life, serves no purpose.

It's possible I was being just the tiniest bit grumpy about a series of books I've been reading, yeah.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Atticus_1354 posted:

This was me with game of thrones. Read the book and thought it was pretty poorly written. Powered through a couple more years later when a friend brought them up. Can't believe that's who got chosen for a big HBO special and don't know why people think he's a good writer.

HBO is cowards for doing Game of Thrones instead of the much superior Amber

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I haven't read Amber in about twenty years and remember basically none of it and also yes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gripweed posted:

The real value of the Amber novel series was that it led to the Amber role-playing game, which was much more fun.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I was browsing the relationships thread in GBS and I'm really wondering how these people don't see that most of the things they dunk on are completely fake posts made up to be outrageous.

Like is it a suspension of disbelief for entertainment thing or are they actually that gullible?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Manager Hoyden posted:

I was browsing the relationships thread in GBS and I'm really wondering how these people don't see that most of the things they dunk on are completely fake posts made up to be outrageous.

Like is it a suspension of disbelief for entertainment thing or are they actually that gullible?

So why are you reading it?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sunswipe posted:

So why are you reading it?

Reading it is fun I guess

The part where people comment on the situations and argue about them like they are real is the part that's baffling me

I am guessing it is some very dedicated kayfabe

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's been hashed out a 1000 times in the thread, and that was years ago when I used to read it. Some people are undoubtedly more gullible than others, sometimes realistic stories are still creative writing, sometimes unbelievable ones are real. There is no way to tell, this is the internet, and piles of meta-posts going back and forth about "This is fake morons!" and "No it's not/Who cares." just wastes everyone's time. It's thread 'policy' to take things at face value and go from there, otherwise where's the fun in it?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If you can show that a story is bullshit by some sort of factual error, fine. "I loaded up my .357 revolver with 30 rounds before answering the door," "He pointed at me with the third arm growing out of his forehead," "She slammed the car into an expert J-turn before transforming it into a jet and flying off," something that just isn't possible is good reason to say "This is bollocks." But if your problem with the stories is the people in them are too stupid to be real, I have some very bad news for you about people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Like the SA ghost story threads before the fifteen gigagillion-part humpermonkey/50 foot ant stories took over

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
If that annoys you why would you even read the internet at all?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sunswipe posted:

If you can show that a story is bullshit by some sort of factual error, fine. "I loaded up my .357 revolver with 30 rounds before answering the door," "He pointed at me with the third arm growing out of his forehead," "She slammed the car into an expert J-turn before transforming it into a jet and flying off," something that just isn't possible is good reason to say "This is bollocks." But if your problem with the stories is the people in them are too stupid to be real, I have some very bad news for you about people.

Like I said, I don't have any problem with the stories. Or really any problem at all I guess. I just get the feeling in that thread of going to a pro wrestling match and slowly realizing everyone in the audience thinks that it's real, right down to getting irl angry at the unbelievably cartoonish bad guy.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

Like I said, I don't have any problem with the stories. Or really any problem at all I guess. I just get the feeling in that thread of going to a pro wrestling match and slowly realizing everyone in the audience thinks that it's real, right down to getting irl angry at the unbelievably cartoonish bad guy.

the burden of being just such a smart goon I guess

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

the burden of being just such a smart goon I guess

I take offense to this because I am in fact dumb as hell

I can prove this by getting upset at white lady cooking tiktok

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Yep, it’s a lot of fun when someone can Sherlock Holmes out why it’s fake but otherwise, just take it at face value. Most of its creative writing but if you’re not gonna engage with the material as written why bother?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And frankly I prefer to live in a world where eagle boyfriend is real so I’ve made the conscious choice to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Denying the existence of Pete should be a bannable offence.