Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
america hasn't had a good x-rated comic since larry welz's cherry poptart and itt goons are trying to spin that as a "good thing"

edit: so much for the "horny left"

Anime Bernie Bro has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

can you really be a ghost death squad in a series where no one ever dies

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rip Gin

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Raiad posted:

can you really be a ghost death squad in a series where no one ever dies

The head captain dies

As does every fluff villain

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Retromancer posted:

on one hand, I get why Demon Slayer got huge. It has charming characters and decent fight scenes and the anime is fantastic looking. On the other, I don't get how it was the manga that finally broke the One Piece streak and sold a ridiculous 82 million volumes.

it's fairly simple, one piece is still quite the seller, but it's already a known thing, most people reading will just buy the latest volume. meanwhile yaiba is new, so a shitton of that 82 million is people seeing hype and starting reading, thus buying volumes 1-n.

it's an insanely good achievement regardless, but it's not going to last as people catch up.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
the anime's pacing is something i always thought was exceptional, it really does not dillydally at all. there were things wrapped up in 2-3 episodes that other series would have definitely stretched out into 6 or 7

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

goku is the villain in dragon ball super

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bootleg Trunks posted:

goku is the villain in dragon ball super

when you're a child you idolize Goku

when you're an adult you idolize Vegeta.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
gently caress that I idolize krillin. 3 foot tall bald dude ends up with a smokin hot wife? way more impressive than beating up hyper frieza or Duracell or whatever

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
all the guys at my old job agreed that krillin would be the best guy to be friends with in real life followed by piccolo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

all the guys at my old job agreed that krillin would be the best guy to be friends with in real life followed by piccolo

Hey now, Mr. Satan is an excellent friend.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
yeah except hanging out with mr satan also means hanging out with the weird fat kid that eats all your food.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

gohan is identifiable because i too turned out to be a big disappointment

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

pillsburysoldier posted:

The head captain dies

As does every fluff villain

Quincies are the only people who have the capability of actually annihilating a soul rather than just pushing it forward through the cycle of reincarnation, so pretty much the only ones who actually die during the series are the losers who get owned in the final arc and the miniboss villain in Hueco Mundo that's there just so Uryu can be not useless for a couple chapters.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

All shonen series tend to do their supporting casts dirty to one degree or another but Bleach was particularly bad. The only side characters that got good fights were the ones that were still kinda villains like Kenpachi and Kurotsuchi.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite thing about bleach is how it never introduced terminology for a ghost dying despite that being pretty much the only thing the manga was about. most of the ghosts did not die, due to popularity or kubo's bad writing habits. but this does not change that the various ghosts were constantly brought to the edge of ghost-death. another funny bit was how most of the important ghosts were nobles, meaning they were the result of ghosts bumping ghost uglies and pumping out ghost babies. they were never human. ghost

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my favorite thing about bleach is how it never introduced terminology for a ghost dying despite that being pretty much the only thing the manga was about. most of the ghosts did not die, due to popularity or kubo's bad writing habits. but this does not change that the various ghosts were constantly brought to the edge of ghost-death. another funny bit was how most of the important ghosts were nobles, meaning they were the result of ghosts bumping ghost uglies and pumping out ghost babies. they were never human. ghost

Burn the Witch implies that there are multiple afterlives and where you go when you die primarily depends on your geographic location at time of death.

Kubo's cosmology is wild.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Retromancer posted:

on one hand, I get why Demon Slayer got huge. It has charming characters and decent fight scenes and the anime is fantastic looking. On the other, I don't get how it was the manga that finally broke the One Piece streak and sold a ridiculous 82 million volumes.

it attracted an older audience by appearing more mature than it actually is, and managed to capture the same kid audience that wanted the new cool thing. and it was like a perfect hype cycle, with the first season, the end of the manga, and the movie all coming out within a year.

it's pretty good and consistently so throughout so that helps too. I was a little surprised when it became that big a phenom but I think in the end it makes a lot of sense.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Retromancer posted:

Burn the Witch implies that there are multiple afterlives and where you go when you die primarily depends on your geographic location at time of death.

Something about a tourist who hates curry dying in like India or White Americans learning that the afterlife of the Americas is based on native cultures instead of transplanted european ones and having to spend eternity larping as the locals seems like it could make for a great story.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Retromancer posted:

It's just Wraith: the oblivion, but anime-ified.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Retromancer posted:

Quincies are the only people who have the capability of actually annihilating a soul rather than just pushing it forward through the cycle of reincarnation, so pretty much the only ones who actually die during the series are the losers who get owned in the final arc and the miniboss villain in Hueco Mundo that's there just so Uryu can be not useless for a couple chapters.

are you talking about the domme lady because she was brought back to life by the war-crimes captain in the final arc

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

an actual dog posted:

it attracted an older audience by appearing more mature than it actually is, and managed to capture the same kid audience that wanted the new cool thing. and it was like a perfect hype cycle, with the first season, the end of the manga, and the movie all coming out within a year.

it's pretty good and consistently so throughout so that helps too. I was a little surprised when it became that big a phenom but I think in the end it makes a lot of sense.

I think its key selling point is competence and consistency which is kinda rare in the industry at large. It kinda felt like it came out of nowhere. Add the excellent animation and adaption work ufotable have done and it was a hit for good reasons. I think people find an earnest good hearted main character refreshing at this point. The last anime I remember being talked about similarly was Attack on Titan and I'm glad that a show that has an unambiguous good guy at the heart of it is getting similar attention.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Southpaugh posted:

I think its key selling point is competence and consistency which is kinda rare in the industry at large. It kinda felt like it came out of nowhere. Add the excellent animation and adaption work ufotable have done and it was a hit for good reasons. I think people find an earnest good hearted main character refreshing at this point. The last anime I remember being talked about similarly was Attack on Titan and I'm glad that a show that has an unambiguous good guy at the heart of it is getting similar attention.

It's a cyclical thing. You get too many nice do-gooders, and people start looking for more complicated anti-heroic types, and then those get too saturated, and then the obvious good guy becomes appealing again.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Tanjiro feels like he works cause he's cartoonishly nice and that's his most defining trait but his niceness doesn't get in the way of his goals or his effectiveness, doesn't stop him from standing up for himself, and ends up becoming a boon for him more than anything.

Contrast that to Deku from MHA who started out as the nicest, purest, most best little guy in the world and then he stays that way, doesn't change at all, constantly breaks his body into little tiny pieces for the sake of being a nice guy (it was cool the first time, but come on. how many times can he break his arms going past his limit), and constantly eats poo poo from his "best friend" who viciously hates him.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
tanjiro works cause he's the responsible parent

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Casey Finnigan posted:

Contrast that to Deku from MHA who started out as the nicest, purest, most best little guy in the world and then he stays that way, doesn't change at all, constantly breaks his body into little tiny pieces for the sake of being a nice guy (it was cool the first time, but come on. how many times can he break his arms going past his limit), and constantly eats poo poo from his "best friend" who viciously hates him.

Yeah he's a huge pushover dweeb and it rules to see him get walked on. The victories feel all pretty well earned though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

tanjiro works cause he's the responsible parent

Maybe for Zenitsu and Nezuko, but I always thought it was way too easy to read him and Inosuke as having a mutually-reciprocated crush. C'mon, he specifically tells the guy his face is sexy.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

are you talking about the domme lady because she was brought back to life by the war-crimes captain in the final arc

Oh yeah I forgot Uryu doesn't actually kill her. She gets killed by the assassination guy.

I almost thought Uryu actually accomplished something at some point in the series.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

I couldn't get too into MHA for some reason. I think I got to the point where the protagonists get in trouble for saving people without a license and just thought "that's dumb I'm out"

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

Tanjiro feels like he works cause he's cartoonishly nice and that's his most defining trait but his niceness doesn't get in the way of his goals or his effectiveness, doesn't stop him from standing up for himself, and ends up becoming a boon for him more than anything.

it seems like every fight in KNY ends with the demon telling a sob story about how they eat humans because no one loved them or whatever and Tanjiro's like "that's super sad but you still gotta die, dude."

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Retromancer posted:

it seems like every fight in KNY ends with the demon telling a sob story about how they eat humans because no one loved them or whatever and Tanjiro's like "that's super sad but you still gotta die, dude."

Yeah that's pretty much it every single time. It's no Berserk.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

KillerQueen posted:

I couldn't get too into MHA for some reason. I think I got to the point where the protagonists get in trouble for saving people without a license and just thought "that's dumb I'm out"

While that specific point isn't necessarily part of it, that hero society is kind of hosed up and broken is a deliberate plot point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Retromancer posted:

TBH, it's kind of a shame that we don't get more heroic demons, given that one of the two main characters of the series is living proof that it's difficult but possible, and that the main villain is a total charisma-devoid rear end in a top hat who can only motivate his minions through blackmail, intimidation, and the promise of greater power. Like, there's the alchemist lady and her assistant, and that's it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KillerQueen posted:

Iunno man season 4 actually owns though i kinda dont care for the 2nd half of the season's villain. Inventing a dark inversion of Buddhism as a capitalist-minded villain is brilliant.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Bleach was really cool when it was just shinigami ghostbusters, but then it meandered way too much in the afterlife arc and then I gave up when it got to the vampire filler arc. Whatever happened to the hollows, man? The hollows were cool. Anyway that's my Bleach opinion.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the best part of mha is when the artist became obsessed with the muscle bunny lady he created

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

whom amongst us

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking of rewatching eva

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Bleach was really cool when it was just shinigami ghostbusters, but then it meandered way too much in the afterlife arc and then I gave up when it got to the vampire filler arc. Whatever happened to the hollows, man? The hollows were cool. Anyway that's my Bleach opinion.

right after the vampires the hollows came back and they were even cooler and then stuff happened and things got lame even though the hollows were still pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Grimmjow was pretty cool