Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/michaelianblack/status/1398273679293915143?s=20

There is a thread there with some added insight and comments from him.

I never knew that Michael Ian Black was Letterman’s choice. That would have been a wild show and while I liked Craig, especially the last years where he stopped giving a poo poo and got weird, I think MIB might have been a lot better. Shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Michael Ian Black would have been a great late night host.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The tweet is quoting this article: https://www.thethings.com/the-real-reason-cbs-hired-craig-ferguson/

Which is based on this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLL8dDQ9_NI

The article sensationalizes it a bit. According to Lassally:

- Letterman was sent tapes of the four guest hosts but paid little attention to them.
- He liked Michael Ian Black and "kind of" liked Damien Fahey, but told Lassally he'd go with whomever Lassally wanted.
- Worldwide Pants' Rob Burnett (unnamed in the interview) previously hired Craig Kilborn and now pushed for Black
- CBS preferred Craig Ferguson
- Lassally favored Ferguson, dismissed Black as a "cute" MTV kid with little experience and resented the earlier hire of Kilborn

I don't know what Black is getting so sour about. It wasn't a "power game" -- Dave, by his own account, basically punted the decision to Lassally. Seems a bit sad to still be moping about this tbh.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but late nite tv generally is enough money and exposure to set you up for life.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
This week everybody’s off... except Kimmel! Why?? Who knows! He may take next week off. Obviously he was off last night for Memorial Day but he’ll be new tonight through Friday.

Schedule for the week starting 2021.05.31
Subject and likely to change

Kimmel
Monday - Rerun
Tuesday - David Harbour, William Jackson Harper, Half Alive
Wednesday - Rachel Weisz, Rob Riggle, Willie Jones
Thursday - Michael Che, Cillian Murphy, The Linda Lindas
Friday - DJ Khaled, Florence Pugh, Fousheé

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
ooooo the linda lindas!

pwn
May 27, 2004

NBC shows are back this week, though it remains to be seen if full audiences will return with them. Kimmel continues to not take a break as he enters his 11th week of new shows, which started after Spring Break on March 29th. And Conan starts his final three weeks tonight.

Schedule for the week starting 2021.06.07

Colbert
Reruns

Corden
Reruns

Kimmel
Monday - Aidy Bryant, Katie Thurston, John Mayor
Tuesday - Tom Hiddleston, Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle, Chiiild
Wednesday - Liam Neeson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, T-Pain and Kehlani
Thursday - President Bill Clinton and James Patterson, Wiz Khalifa, Jackson Browne

Fallon
Monday - Robert deNiro, Anthony Ramos, Anne-Marie and Niall Horan
Tuesday - Lin-Manuel Miranda, Phoebe Dynevor, Sharon van Etton and Angel Olsen
Wednesday - Kristen Bell, Dane Dehaan, Migos
Thursday - Jason Momoa, Rose Byrne, Clairo
Friday - Kathryn Hahn, Jon M. Chu, Polo G

Seth
Monday - Patrick Wilson, Quinta Brunson
Tuesday - Joel McHale, Bill Cowher, Carmen Christopher
Wednesday - Will Forte, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Thursday - David Harbour, Josh O’Conner, Garbage

Conan
Monday - Don Cheadle
Tuesday - Sarah Silverman
Wednesday - Kevin Nealon
Thursday - Tig Notaro

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 11, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

Full crowd back on Fallon. Show’s at 95% of pre-pandemic, only missing a few of the Roots who are segregated off-stage, still.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Wait, Colbert isn't new?

pwn
May 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Wait, Colbert isn't new?

Wow, I feel dumb. Dumber than usual, I mean. Welp! Last episode they were making it sound like they’d be back on the 14th. I’m dumb and bad and wrong. Thank god I’ll stop doing these soon once everything goes back to norbal.

Ahem.

Colbert
Monday - Chris Matthews, Cynthia Erivo
Tuesday - Clive Owen, Ziwe
Wednesday - Samuel L. Jackson, Padma Lakshmi
Thursday - Samantha Power, Maroon 5

Corden
Monday - Julianne Moore, Rufus Wainwright
Tuesday - Chelsea Handler, The Wallflowers
Wednesday - Lisa Kudrow, Clea DuVall, Rostam
Thursday - Desus & Mero, Mother Mother

I have let you down, the Something Awful dot com forums slash TeeVee EyeVee Late Night thread. I hope all 4 of you will eventually forgive me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

I have let you down, the Something Awful dot com forums slash TeeVee EyeVee Late Night thread. I hope all 4 of you will eventually forgive me.

Oh, you think you're dumb?

I made my wife prove that Colbert was new. Only after looking at the info on the on-screen TV Guide did I believe her, and right about then, she reminded me about the extremely topical things he'd said in his singular deceased tree trunk. I mean, he mentioned that next week, he'd be in the studio; and I'm pretty sure he had jokes about Bezos going to space. That news came out today.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I forgive you pwn. Thank you for the work you do. And now I'm forced to tell you I don't actually watch tv, I just post in the thread because I'm a hipster.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yess Trevor Moore's talk show is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-xXCiq5gU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I forgive you pwn. Thank you for the work you do. And now I'm forced to tell you I don't actually watch tv, I just post in the thread because I'm a hipster.

Don't watch TV, eh? Can't day I blame you. Personally, I don't even ooooowwwwwwnnnnnn a television.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foYyZifCJAo

pwn
May 27, 2004

The Late Show returns tonight! Colbert and the band will be back in the Ed Sullivan Theater proper, with a full audience for the first time since 11 March 2020. And Conan begins his penultimate week of shows with an audience at The Largo, as well. Will Kimmel and Corden bring back audiences, as well? Will Seth finally join his New York compatriots? Will the 8G Band finally get their asses back in the studio? Tune in! Or don’t! None of this matters!

Schedule for the week starting 2021.06.14

Colbert
Monday - Jon Stewart, Dana Carvey, Jon Batiste
Tuesday - Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Rita Moreno
Wednesday - Mary J. Blige, Sleater-Kinney
Thursday - Nathan Lane, Griff

Corden
Monday - Hugh Grant, Mike Colter, TXT
Tuesday - Governor Gavin Newsom, Migos
Wednesday - Margot Robbie, Rose Byrne, Polo G
Thursday - Will Arnett, Lord Huron

Kimmel
Monday - Elisabeth Moss, Omar Sy, Valerie June
Tuesday - Owen Wilson, Betty Gilpin, Spice feat. Sean Paul and Shaggy
Wednesday - Zooey Deschanel, Sam Richardson, Kodak Black
Thursday - Dax Shepard and Monica Padman, Tony Hale, Saweetie

Fallon
Monday - Ethan Hawke, Ilana Glazer, Jack Ingram, Miranda Lambert and Jon Randall
Tuesday - Selma Hayek, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Jessie Ware
Wednesday - Seth Meyers, Annoe Murphy, Coldplay
Thursday - Helen Mirren, Kenya Barris, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds

Seth
Monday - Luke Wilson, Juno Temple, Marina
Tuesday - Wendy Williams, Paul Rabil
Wednesday - Terry Crews, Ann Margret
Thursday - Peyton Manning, Bowen Yang, Edgar Wright

Conan
Monday - Patton Oswalt
Tuesday - Martin Short
Wednesday - JB Smoove
Thursday - Mila Kunis

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 18, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you have time and haven't seen it I recommend watching JB Smoove's full interview on Conan from this week. I love how serious he is about his nonsense stories.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's really bumming me out that this coming week is gonna be Conan's last on late night TV :smith: I'll have his podcast and HBO Max show when that comes out, but man, he's been entertaining me on late night TV for so goddamn long that this really feels like the end of an era.

I don't foresee myself watching any late night show after Conan's done, or at least not nearly as regularly as I watched his show. Is there any other late night host doing the kind of dumb funny poo poo Conan's done? If there is, I'm not aware of it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I loved the old Conan sketches. Like Celebrity Secrets. Patrick Stewart: "My favorite animal is the bald eagle. Not because it's bald, but because it tastes good.

Or the starting contests, and Andy's last show, where he finally won.

The Syncro-Vox celebrity interviews.

Artie Kendal.

And IN THE YEAR 2000.

In the year 2000...

Sales of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" will decline sharply when the name is inexplicably changed to, "I Can't Believe It's Not... Hitler!"

Can't Frankenstein waste just one more minute of my time?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeYhzlMKxDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wNsKGdYEp0

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Was that Greenpeace... uh, guy (can't say what the whale called him)... Jack McBrayer?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Conan is ending??

THERE'S NO REASON TO LIVE! WHERE'S MY KAYAK?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

wa27 posted:

Conan is ending??

Hes movin to hbo

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pretty rude to call him a hobo just cause he’s leaving his network job, drat.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Sekhmnet posted:

Hes movin to hbo

:thejoke:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

wa27 posted:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This is it, Conan’s last week on TBS. It’s been such a busy day so let’s get to it.

Schedule for the week starting 2021.06.21

Colbert
Monday - Andrew Garfield, Lorde
Tuesday - Wanda Sykes, Craig Melvin
Wednesday - Christine Baranski, Joy Oladokun
Thursday - Robert Duvall, JP Saxe and John Mayer

Corden
Monday - Helen Hunt, Black Pumas
Tuesday - Elizabeth Olsen, Edgar Wright
Wednesday - Josh Gad, Chloe Moriondo
Thursday - Liam Neeson, Anthony Ramos

Kimmel
Monday - Sarah Paulson, Frank Grillo, Lucy Dacus
Tuesday - Quentin Tarantino, Liza Shlesinger, Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real
Wednesday - Billy Crystal, Emma Corrin, Seventeen
Thursday - Chris Pratt, Michael Cohen, The Isley Brothers and Snoop Dogg

Fallon
Monday - Scarlett Johansson, Questlove, Graham Kay
Tuesday - Vin Diesel, Riley Keough, Modest Mouse
Wednesday - John Cena, Henry Winkler, Majid Jordan
Thursday - Charlize Theron, Willie Nelson, Beabadoobee
Friday - TBA

Seth
Monday - Selma Hayek, Jacqueline Novak
Tuesday - Graham Norton, Zosia Mamet, Brandon Taylor
Wednesday - Bill Clinton and James Patterson, Titus Welliver, Weezer
Thursday - John Cena, Kristen Schaal

Conan
Monday - Bill Hader
Tuesday - Seth Rogen
Wednesday - Dana Carvey
Thursday - Jack Black

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Paul Rudd crashed Bill Hader's episode of Conan and showed his trademark Mac and Me clip :laffo:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIp9bEV2-GI

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What does conan call his helpers anyway? I like the one with glasses and the goofy face

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Somehow, he friggin got me with the promise of showing an alternate clip he was going to use. Amazing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Lemming posted:

Somehow, he friggin got me with the promise of showing an alternate clip he was going to use. Amazing.

I know! It really felt like ok, THIS time, since he wants to show the other clip he wanted to troll Conan with, it's gotta be... wait... ok, wow. Well-played.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Baby Geniuses video is not nearly as good so it's good he stuck with Mac and Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Envx2Vju0-8&t=77s

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

It would have been disappointing if was anything else. :)

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

So Norm has to show up on conan right?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXrJNExqIvs

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic posted:

Paul Rudd crashed Bill Hader's episode of Conan and showed his trademark Mac and Me clip :laffo:

This is art, put it in the Museum of Modern Art

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Since Conan is wrapping up his typical show, here's some memory lane poo poo. I'd watched his show at 11pm since mid-1996 on NBC Europe where we got his (and The Tonight Show/Greg Kinnear) one day after they aired in the US and his show was the only one I paid attention to because it was so loving weird and stupid and funny. It would be fair to say that Conan played a significant part in shaping my sense of humor having watched Late NIght in my early teens.

The earliest, and most prominent memory I have of his show is from 1997 in one of his first "let's look at wacky photographs from when I and [insert Late Night people here] got together for this event" bits with Andy, Max and Carl "Oldie" Olsen (William Preston, RIP) at a fourth of July party. I often taped Late Night to show my friends so I had a VHS copy of this bit, and appropriately the only version I could find online is very VHS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvVdHuY3tu8

This bit killed me. I loving lost my poo poo laughing at Pavarotti's corpse at the bottom of the pool. What the poo poo VHS version here hides is a little trickle of blood flowing from his body down into the drain of the pool and that made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe. And I learned what a vestigial tail is. After that I've had nothing but love for Conan. It's so stupid, it's so silly, and I love it. I hope he keeps at it on HBO because the 13 year-old me needs it still.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Double post just for this wonderful thing I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlyWZG4t3Ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Conan did a brief live chat before taping tomorrow show this evening. One of the things he revealed was that he still has the Taurus.