Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
High elf colors: purple and silver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Wyrd's had another painting contest, which also helped me break of out my painting slump. Didn't win anything, but it was pretty fun to make a crazed demolitionist with a wheelbarrow and backpack full of lit dynamite into a happy flower guy.

Looks good! Also gives you a bunch of spare dynamite which may come in handy basing other things. I've similarly been in a bit of a (entirely predicted, work related) hobby slump, but am currently trying to pull myself out of it.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Spanish Manlove posted:

Purple and silver feels more dark elf to me. Blue and silver?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Red and gold.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bronze and seafoam green.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Different shades of white paint whose colors only show up under a blacklight.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Royal purple and silver is high elfy as are lighter shades of purple

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

Yeah like royal purple with lilac highlights and a really bright silver was my idea.

Actually that's literally the night elves color scheme from WoW. poo poo.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Eej posted:

Yeah, between Dark Elves and Night Elves, I'm not a huge fan of purple. Don't get me wrong, that's a nice scheme, just, it's already taken.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Possibly. Thing is, it still feels like original flavor High Elves, just with the colors reversed. :shrug:

Dienes posted:

Red and gold.
Also nice, but also taken by WoW Blood Elves. I have seen an entire army done up in this scheme, though, and it does look good. My only concern is that using gold for the armor means that there's no easy way for elite units (like Phoenix Guard) to stand out compared to the normal rank and file.

sassassin posted:

Bronze and seafoam green.
Sounds like it could be neat, especially for a Lothern-themed army. Gonna have to test it out on a model, see if I like it.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Different shades of white paint whose colors only show up under a blacklight.
Lol, I wish I had those kinds of paints.

So my thought was more of a sunset-theme, with yellow-orange robes, red trim on the armor and almost a cream/bone color for the various leathers (boots, gloves, etc). Thankfully I have a few extra models to test colors in, so once I get a few moments to paint, I'll do up the suggestions here and see how it all looks actually on a model. Appreciate the ideas so far, though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
A lot of colour schemes are taken by other properties already because they work well together though so you can't just evade good colour combos forever

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
^^^^ I painted a whole army of tiny space aliens once with a cool scheme I came up with only to realize on dude #25 that I was painting everyone in the XCOM color scheme.

With all the elf talk, does anyone know of a good guide to painting blue skin or any suggestions? I'm thinking of the Warcraft aesthetic of high contrast light blue and deep purple, but everything I've tried to achieve the effect looks absolutely ghastly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

^^^^ I painted a whole army of tiny space aliens once with a cool scheme I came up with only to realize on dude #25 that I was painting everyone in the XCOM color scheme.

With all the elf talk, does anyone know of a good guide to painting blue skin or any suggestions? I'm thinking of the Warcraft aesthetic of high contrast light blue and deep purple, but everything I've tried to achieve the effect looks absolutely ghastly.

Craftworld studio did a guest video for Squidmar and they do some fantastic skin tones with a variety of colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ehZW-pJ0hs

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Craftworld studio did a guest video for Squidmar and they do some fantastic skin tones with a variety of colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ehZW-pJ0hs

That looks perfect, thanks.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

My primer base coat using Army Painter matt black is kind of.... shiny? is this normal or is this because of humidity?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

12 guardsmen and a Ogryn sergeant. Nearly done with this army, just in time for a tournament this sunday.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

12 guardsmen and a Ogryn sergeant. Nearly done with this army, just in time for a tournament this sunday.

these are incredible. are they Forgeworld of 3D printed?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If I remember previous discussions right they're Valour Korps from the makers cult.
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/miniatures/sci-fi/valour-korps-shock-infantry-builder

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yup, that is correct. I've done 2000 points and change of them in the last couple of months.

I'll probably do some proper photography of the army entire once I'm done with the last model, a third Leman Russ.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I've had these finished for a while, but I finally found a moment to photograph a couple of Reaper Wyverns. I like the brown one better.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

a pale ghost posted:

My primer base coat using Army Painter matt black is kind of.... shiny? is this normal or is this because of humidity?

Mine is also a little shiny. It doesn't come through the finished model. if youre wondering.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Had a productive day.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Quick question about priming.

If im going for a light colour scheme, lots of blues/light greens/whites etc. Is using a black primer a bad idea or does it not really matter?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CyberPingu posted:

Quick question about priming.

If im going for a light colour scheme, lots of blues/light greens/whites etc. Is using a black primer a bad idea or does it not really matter?

It's going to be a lot harder coverage wise to go white-over-black. I'd at least prime grey, or a white primer then a light nuln-oil wash to bring the detail back out and enhance the shadows.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's going to be a lot harder coverage wise to go white-over-black. I'd at least prime grey, or a white primer then a light nuln-oil wash to bring the detail back out and enhance the shadows.

Ok cheers, thats what i figured.

Off to get a grey primer. Ive heard the valejo one is pretty good.,

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Ok cheers, thats what i figured.

Off to get a grey primer. Ive heard the valejo one is pretty good.,

Mr Hobby has really great primers. I use Mr.Surfacer 1500 gray all the time and it's really good.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

a7m2 posted:

Mr Hobby has really great primers. I use Mr.Surfacer 1500 gray all the time and it's really good.

Cheers, i ended up going for the Tamiya spray in the end.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Cheers, i ended up going for the Tamiya spray in the end.

I also like Tamiya, especially their range of colors. I find Mr Hobby a little easier to work with but the difference is negligable.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

a7m2 posted:

I also like Tamiya, especially their range of colors. I find Mr Hobby a little easier to work with but the difference is negligable.

Only reason I went with Tamiya (besides reviews) is that I can get it through Element Games and I was buying some other things through there anyway

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

What is Nuln Oil and why does every talk about it? Is it just a wash, like these army painter washes I have?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Its kinda just a dumb meme based on a lot of people using it as it was one of the first washes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's also in a lovely GW bottle so you get a lot of (Nuln) oil spill disasters.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have never spilled a nuln oil or put a drill bit through my thumb but i have drunk paint water and glued my hands together, so im halfway to being a proper mini painter

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've spilled one GW wash once. But I've had a dropper bottle wash that I didn't realize was clogged, so I'll take my chances with more GW washes because when those go wrong they don't send a spray of brown colored watery paint up onto the walls.

That's when I learned that the Secret Weapon Wash 'Sewer Water' was accurately named.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have spilled regular pots when trying to close them one handed and totally stabbed myself with a paperclip when I was pinning something and it went through the model.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've never owned Nuln oil, so I'll never be a true painter :(
But I have exploded a Scale75 bottle that I thought was open. Not a fun painting session.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my most fun glue story was from thinking a tube was empty instead of clogged and squeezing it real hard. it took me like 2 days to get the last of the glue off my fingers

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wrr posted:

What is Nuln Oil and why does every talk about it? Is it just a wash, like these army painter washes I have?

Its a pretty decent black wash, yeah, its just a shorthand for "black wash" because GW are the giant in the playground. Same reason someone might say "leadbelcher" instead of "dark grey metallic". Army painters washes are also very good (generally agreed even by people who dont like their paints) but you're more likely to see people say "just give that a quick wash with agrax earthshade" than "just wash that with strong tone" because people are far more likely to have a pot of Agrax to hand.

moths posted:

It's also in a lovely GW bottle so you get a lot of (Nuln) oil spill disasters.

I thought the "spilling your nuln oil" was dumb when i started getting back into painting a few years ago; i never spilled my paints when I was a teenager and I'm more careful now. I've since spilled exactly one pot, guess which one it was? Luckily old habits die hard and I put newspaper down before I paint...

In fairness if you are going to spill a GW paint, its almost certainly going to be a wash. They're taller, so have a higher centre of gravity and you are more likely to catch the top by accident, and are more fluid so a spill gets more liquid out faster (I could turn my pot of Abaddon black upside down for 2-3 minutes and basically nothing would come out...). And of the washes a black (or brown) wash are more versitile than say druchi violet, so is going to be open on your desk more often than the others.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Back when I did a lot of rock climbing, I had crazy grip strength. This lead to me trying to get some paint out of a dropper bottle and accidentally squeezing it so hard that I popped the top off and sprayed paint all over the table.

Twice. Once at my girlfriends house, on her parents fancy dining room table when I was teaching her to paint. :whoops:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
At this point I'm just gonna jam a paper clip into each of my bottles as I reach for them in a session because I fear that happening to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

my most fun glue story was from thinking a tube was empty instead of clogged and squeezing it real hard. it took me like 2 days to get the last of the glue off my fingers

Had a loctite tube of glue explode on my fingers once from a burst in a seam, that was fun. Had spend a while scraping it off with a knife after dunking my hand in cold water.