Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I don't really know what people are trying to point out. Of course cases are going to go up in the UK, people have been freely gathering pretty much for weeks even though the true rubberstamped "Open 'er up" isn't until the 21st. It shouldn't even slightly be a surprise to anyone. Deaths will rise as well, in due course.

The only question of merit is whether the amount of deaths will fall within acceptable bounds and be more or less controlled, or whether letting things go hogwild could actually cause a meaningful spike in serious hospitalisations and deaths or potentially foment some kind of variant that undermines the protection that vaccination currently affords.

I know the idea of an 'acceptable' level of deaths is probably one that will rankle with some, but them's the breaks in public health.

e: :hmmyes: continuing the meltdown for a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Jeza posted:

The only question of merit is whether the amount of deaths will fall within acceptable bounds and be more or less controlled, or whether letting things go hogwild could actually cause a meaningful spike in serious hospitalisations and deaths or potentially foment some kind of variant that undermines the protection that vaccination currently affords.

To most of the world I think it seems incredibly foolish to squander the reduction in active cases, or undercut the usefulness of your vaccinations - the US/UK have such lead of fully vaxx'd people.

Literally the envy of the world.

Letting a variant that significantly reduces efficacy of your most common vaccine rip through a mixed population of partially, fully, and unvaccinated people is practically begging for a new variant with improved evasion.

The rest of the world may never get to catch up if that happens, and to run that risk for the sake of learnincurves doorknob licking desires seems .. incredibly short sighted.

Perhaps that's just me, in a country where relatively few people have had their second shot, and where case counts are very slow to drop, despite good adherence to NPI and climbing vaccination numbers.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jeza posted:

I know the idea of an 'acceptable' level of deaths is probably one that will rankle with some, but them's the breaks in public health.

I'm going to be burying people from this fuckin' thing forever.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Something that folks like our recently-probated friend are either overlooking or willfully ignoring is that this is a disease with widespread consequences for the people it infects that don't require hospitalizations, and can occur even for asymptomatic infections. Exponential case growth even without it being a leading indicator of hospitalizations down the line is still a bad thing and a sign that the situation is worsening and needs to be taken seriously, not doomposting, unless you don't believe in long COVID and the other ills we've seen in the aftermath of a "mild" or asymptomatic infection.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm going to be burying people from this fuckin' thing forever.

I mean, yeah. It’s been obvious this was going to hang around forever since like April 2020.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kestral posted:

Something that folks like our recently-probated friend are either overlooking or willfully ignoring is that this is a disease with widespread consequences for the people it infects that don't require hospitalizations, and can occur even for asymptomatic infections. Exponential case growth even without it being a leading indicator of hospitalizations down the line is still a bad thing and a sign that the situation is worsening and needs to be taken seriously, not doomposting, unless you don't believe in long COVID and the other ills we've seen in the aftermath of a "mild" or asymptomatic infection.

This.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'd be interested in seeing examinations on cases where the person was vaccinated, never hospitalized and asymptomatic yet has long covid symptoms anyway. Is that a thing yet?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’d be more worried about all the unvaccinated children and those who have only been able to have 1 jab yet as they are the ones more likely to catch Covid in the UK right now.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

KakerMix posted:

I'd be interested in seeing examinations on cases where the person was vaccinated, never hospitalized and asymptomatic yet has long covid symptoms anyway. Is that a thing yet?

If there's been a case of asymptomatic COVID causing long term health consequences I haven't seen it. How would you even capture that data without blanket testing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Helith posted:

I’d be more worried about all the unvaccinated children and those who have only been able to have 1 jab yet as they are the ones more likely to catch Covid in the UK right now.

The official UK dashboard shows that 40,573,517 people have received one or more doses (roughly 60.8% of the total population) so there's still something like 26 million people in the UK who are currently unvaccinated. That's more than the entire population of Australia!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Something the glass-half-empty crew misses too is the fact that pretty much everyone said this isn't going anywhere quickly, and you might just have to accept this is a danger of leaving your home. There's a lot of dangers that can leave lasting damage from leaving your home. Lyme disease from ticks, the plague, cancer from exposure to chemicals and other things.

At some point you'll just have to accept a level of risk needed to exist. It's not like you're likely to be eaten by a lion. And if you are, I would bet covid is not high on the list of everyday worries.

And other diseases and stuff. They didn't go anywhere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Another Bill posted:

If there's been a case of asymptomatic COVID causing long term health consequences I haven't seen it. How would you even capture that data without blanket testing.

I bring this up because of comments like these:

Kestral posted:

Specifically calling out how even asymptomatic COVID infections cause long term health "consequences". I have not heard of asymptomatic yet long covid effects ever, so if there is something to be seen there I'd love to see it. This reads, to my ignorant eyes, as doom posting in its most insidious form. Good intentions mixed with probably sounding things that don't make much sense when thought about.
IS there such a thing as no-symptom covid yet now I have bad balls?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

KakerMix posted:

I personally know at least half a dozen people who were asymptomatic positive. Their balls are uniformly awful. Just terrible.

The worst balls.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I bring this up because of comments like these:

Specifically calling out how even asymptomatic COVID infections cause long term health "consequences". I have not heard of asymptomatic yet long covid effects ever, so if there is something to be seen there I'd love to see it. This reads, to my ignorant eyes, as doom posting in its most insidious form. Good intentions mixed with probably sounding things that don't make much sense when thought about.

"Post-COVID syndrome severely damages children's hearts: 'Immense inflammation' causing cardiac blood vessel dilation -- ScienceDaily" https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200904125111.htm

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

"Post-COVID syndrome severely damages children's hearts: 'Immense inflammation' causing cardiac blood vessel dilation -- ScienceDaily" https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200904125111.htm

Yeah, this is definitely bad news.

Does anyone have access to the actual study? All of the summaries I've found mention that this can happen with asymptomatic Covid infection, but I can't find the actual numbers on what percentage of MIS-C cases were linked to asymptomatic Covid, or how/when the Covid diagnosis was made.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

learnincurve posted:

This thread, in general, was 100% telling people not to get AZ, and gleefully telling people how it’s rollout in their country was paused and how it wasn’t as effective while actual virologists were screaming about how the trials were done at the peak and you needed to adjust to reflect that.

You're entitled to your opinion about other people's posts but straight up lying about them to give yourself an excuse for yet another meltdown is incredibly lovely. I've been urging people to get AZ instead of waiting for months and months

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The best vaccine is the one that's in your arm right now.

Get the first vax offered to you as soon as they can give you an appointment. Remember that maximum efficacy takes weeks and weeks to develop after your initial jab so you need to get the process started as soon as possible so 6 to 12 weeks down the road you're protected against whatever the gently caress might happen next.

If I was offered AZ today I'd definitely take it.

Here in Australia we're saving Pfizer for the under 50s and giving everyone 50+ AZ because of the clotting issue but the current outbreak in Melbourne is 100% India variant so I'm seeing a lot of older people showing vaxx hesitancy on social media because they'd really really prefer Pfizer and not AZ, which I guess is understandable. Again, some real lovely luck on how it's all unfolded. But 60% protection is still WAY better than 0% protection, the government really needs to start leaning on that messaging

Get vaxxed as soon as you can, make sure your family gets vaxxed as soon as they can

Etc etc etc

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

Something the glass-half-empty crew misses too is the fact that pretty much everyone said this isn't going anywhere quickly, and you might just have to accept this is a danger of leaving your home. There's a lot of dangers that can leave lasting damage from leaving your home. Lyme disease from ticks, the plague, cancer from exposure to chemicals and other things.

At some point you'll just have to accept a level of risk needed to exist. It's not like you're likely to be eaten by a lion. And if you are, I would bet covid is not high on the list of everyday worries.

we have eliminated a shitload of diseases with attitudes that are the opposite of this and we could do the same with covid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

we have eliminated a shitload of diseases with attitudes that are the opposite of this and we could do the same with covid.

Satanic splash-back could stand to read the audience better, but I think there’s the kernel of a point there.

We, as a society, should not accept the threat of coronavirus hanging over our heads.

We, as individuals, are forced to.

I wear a good mask, but I am under no illusion that I can dodge the virus forever. Society is allowing it to go endemic, and chances are high that sooner or later my immune system will be tested against it. I’m not rushing down to Denny’s to get it over with, but I have accepted that some day an encounter will happen. There’s a ninety‐five percent chance I won’t notice when it does.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Exactly.
I'm trying to be a beacon of hope here. Driving your car is more dangerous if you are fully vaxed in the US and under what 70? 75?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spinz posted:

Driving your car is more dangerous if you are fully vaxed in the US and under what 70? 75?

Car crashes aren't contagious, if you get into a minor fender bender and scratch your bumper that won't set off a chain of events that might directly cause your grandma to flip her car 20 times and explode into flames

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Car crashes aren't contagious, if you get into a minor fender bender and scratch your bumper that won't set off a chain of events that might directly cause your grandma to flip her car 20 times and explode into flames

I hope that I'm more likely to kill a grandma with my car than pass covid on. I'm not sure what the odds are rn.

Funny thing is is I wear my half mask respirator inside stores because eh why not I own it.
And I'm more optimistic than many of you in here

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

:actually: two strains of the common flu may have died because *gasp* people wore masks during flu season.

https://gizmodo.com/the-pandemic-might-have-killed-off-some-flu-strains-for-1847033924

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey remember that pharmacist in Wisconsin who deliberately left 500 doses of vaccine out of the freezer overnight so they'd spoil last December?

https://twitter.com/CBS58/status/1402295177117589506

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Should have gotten three life sentences, IMO.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hey remember that pharmacist in Wisconsin who deliberately left 500 doses of vaccine out of the freezer overnight so they'd spoil last December?

https://twitter.com/CBS58/status/1402295177117589506

Direct article link:
https://cbs58.com/news/former-wisconsin-pharmacist-who-tampered-with-covid-vaccines-sentenced-to-3-years-in-federal-prison

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spinz posted:

I hope that I'm more likely to kill a grandma with my car than pass covid on. I'm not sure what the odds are rn.

The odds of you personally passing it on? Probably extremely small, not zero but still fairly close to zero.

The odds of tens of thousands of people in the same situation as you across the nation passing it on, if they all had the same attitude as you? Pretty high. This "At some point you'll just have to accept a level of risk" bullshit is the Tragedy Of The Commons where everyone comes up with personal excuses to perform actions which have very small chances of bad outcomes for themselves, but when you spread out those actions across the entire population it directly leads to large numbers of avoidable death and suffering.

Currently 13.6% of the US 65+ cohort have not received a coronavirus vaccine, which is 7.4 million people. Current CFR for that age range is between 3% to 27% so we could potentially see another couple hundred thousand additional deaths from that cohort if the pandemic goes endemic and keeps chugging along in the background, and that's not even taking into account breakthrough cases or variants pushing the CFRs higher. Oh well, people wanna go to Applebees, gonna have to write those off as an acceptable level of deaths. Couldn't be helped. Gotta stay optimistic! :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 9, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Smh
This is so nuts. I give up. Grand total of what I do that could add to variant creation: be unmasked outdoors if not in crowds

But ok, I'm a bad guy lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spinz posted:

Smh
This is so nuts. I give up. Grand total of what I do that could add to variant creation: be unmasked outdoors if not in crowds

But ok, I'm a bad guy lol

LOL

You came into the thread to brag about how disassociated you were from the ongoing pandemic and scold the "glass-half-empty crew" who still held a level of ongoing concern, gently caress off with that proselytizing.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I for one am extremely impressed at posters who constantly talk about how not scared of covid they are and just make up poo poo that didn't happen to act like they're the only rational ones

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This thread is very bad.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
We clearly need 2 Covid threads: 1 for optimists and 1 for pessimists.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Melbourne has been in lockdown since May 27 with restrictions on movement out of the city and all that but that didn't stop a couple from leaving the city on June 1 and spending 4 days traveling through several states until they reached Queensland. You can guess how the rest of this story goes already.

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1402522501104603138
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1402522503180738560

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-09/queensland-coronavirus-case-sunshine-coast-woman/100201816

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
yes not a lot of healthy talk going on at the moment.

i think putting anything on individual behavior is fruitless and serves only as a way to make yourself mad and separate yourself from others in your mind. if you will only accept total elimination of the virus - I think it could be possible - you need to focus on government decision making. there will always be hoaxers, people who don't understand that air comes out of their nose as well as their mouth, anti mask convenience martyrs, and just people who cannot mentally live in a state of constant alarm for years on end. If you disagree with those views you waste your energy confronting them because those people do not determine whether covid becomes endemic. this is a political issue. anti maskers will exist whether or not mask mandates exist - but mask mandates will get more people wearing them. anti vax people likewise. the use of political power to guide society through this safely is what is letting you down.

we love to individualize problems and treat them like playstation vs xbox because individual argument is easy, but it's clear from this thread that it isn't mentally healthy for a lot of people

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Melbourne has been in lockdown since May 27 with restrictions on movement out of the city and all that but that didn't stop a couple from leaving the city on June 1 and spending 4 days traveling through several states until they reached Queensland. You can guess how the rest of this story goes already.

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1402522501104603138
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1402522503180738560

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-09/queensland-coronavirus-case-sunshine-coast-woman/100201816

Oh, it's even better than that. She started having symptoms on 3 June and continued travelling instead of staying put and getting tested where she was.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lolie posted:

Oh, it's even better than that. She started having symptoms on 3 June and continued travelling instead of staying put and getting tested where she was.

I know that it’s not true that the virus causes behavioral changes, compelling victims to spread it far and wide, but you gotta admit that it makes a good story.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Lolie posted:

I swear one of the main symptoms of covid is the urge to travel long distances.

Back when we were in full lockdown one of our mps tested positive in London so the first thing she did was catch a train back to Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55924053

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Coronavirus bonds to ACE2 receptors and the testicles contain one of the highest ACE2 concentrations in the body so it can really gently caress up yer nuts

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7377719/

E: it might make you deaf as well, or turn a random body part necrotic. It's never boring, always something new and different!
https://twitter.com/business/status/1402084228771237895

If covid somehow managed to sterilize all the antivaxxers and chuds this will have probably all been worthwhile.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here's some happier UK news:

quote:

Link between Covid cases and deaths has been broken, says senior NHS boss

The UK’s vaccination programme has broken the link between infections, hospital admissions and deaths, and hospitals were reporting fewer and younger patients, according to a senior boss in the NHS.

The NHS Providers chief executive, Chris Hopson, told Times Radio: “What [hospital] chief executives are consistently telling us is that it is a much younger population that is coming in, they are less clinically vulnerable, they are less in need of critical care and therefore they’re seeing what they believe is significantly lower mortality rate which is, you know, borne out by the figures. So it’s not just the numbers of people who are coming in, it’s actually the level of harm and clinical risk.

“It’s important not to just focus on the raw numbers here … you also do need to look at who’s being admitted into hospital and how clinically vulnerable and what level of acuity they’ve got,” he added. However, he said those people who are admitted but survive may still end up with long Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/09/link-between-covid-cases-and-deaths-has-been-broken-says-senior-nhs-boss

This bears out what people were expecting/ hoping to see from the roll-out of the vaccination programme: with all older or medically vulnerable people now double-vaccinated, Covid hospitalisations and deaths among these groups have collapsed, with the remaining hospitalisations being overwhelmingly of younger people, who are much less likely to get sick enough to need ventilators.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

I know that it’s not true that the virus causes behavioral changes, compelling victims to spread it far and wide, but you gotta admit that it makes a good story.

Holy poo poo a second story just emerged - some people snuck out of Melbourne and flew to New Zealand and tried to evade quarantine so they could go to a funeral. So far they've tested negative.

quote:

Three Melbourne residents have been caught trying to get into New Zealand during Victoria's coronavirus lockdown.

Australia and New Zealand still have a travel bubble arrangement in place, but travel from Victoria was "paused" last month after the latest coronavirus outbreak began.

New Zealand director general of health Ashley Bloomfield, told a press conference on Wednesday that the three drove from Melbourne to Sydney and then flew to Auckland last week.

The NZ Herald reported they were going to attend a funeral and they would have to pay for their quarantine stay.

"Those three people were identified when they arrived and were immediately transferred to a managed isolation facility in Auckland where they will remain for a 14-day period," Dr Bloomfield said.

He said they had all returned negative "day zero" tests.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06...7adaCsPljZq1l7E

:doh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Holy poo poo a second story just emerged - some people snuck out of Melbourne and flew to New Zealand and tried to evade quarantine so they could go to a funeral. So far they've tested negative.

See, this is the control group.

People do incredibly reckless poo poo like all the time. It doesn’t take a special disease to make them do it.