Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

What sound are you looking for? How do you define boutique?
John Fogerty’s sofa-looking Kustom is the sound of my childhood. Albert King has a wonderfully awful tone on his Fillmore records.

"Boutique" to me means one dude in a garage with Opinions About Turret Boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Siivola posted:

John Fogerty’s sofa-looking Kustom is the sound of my childhood. Albert King has a wonderfully awful tone on his Fillmore records.

"Boutique" to me means one dude in a garage with Opinions About Turret Boards.

Yeah ive never heard of boutique solid state and I work in the industry

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

So you're saying there's an untapped market:thunk:

Quilter is about the closest there is to it.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Given the surge in apartment players these days, you'd think there would be a market for premium solid state amps that don't cheap out on speakers or cabinets. There are Quilters, Bandits, Crush Pros, Tone Masters, Blues Cubes, and the Katana Artist - am I missing anything else? Would love it if Marshall released a a solid state amp better than the awful MG series

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You don't need SS for apartment playing. I live in an apartment and play all my tube heads ranging from 5-100 Watts. Just need a good attenuator.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Roland and DV Mark both make amps for the jazz crowd, and Friedman (!) just released a high-gain head. Blackstar, Vox and probably every other amp brand in the world also have their modeler competitors for the Katana, but those aren't really high-end.

I realize it's probably really stupid from an effort-to-profit perspective, but I would love to see someone clone those old Kustoms. :shobon:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Apartment player here, it's all about digital modeling for me. Doesn't fully replace the feeling of a wall of air hitting my chest from my Orange but it's the next best thing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Siivola posted:

Roland and DV Mark both make amps for the jazz crowd, and Friedman (!) just released a high-gain head. Blackstar, Vox and probably every other amp brand in the world also have their modeler competitors for the Katana, but those aren't really high-end.

I realize it's probably really stupid from an effort-to-profit perspective, but I would love to see someone clone those old Kustoms. :shobon:

Getting the cabinets upholstered in the old tuck-n-roll would cost more than the circuit inside.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Thumposaurus posted:

Getting the cabinets upholstered in the old tuck-n-roll would cost more than the circuit inside.

This is true for all guitar poo poo though, the circuitry is universally the cheapest bit

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
I took a big step up from my modeling amp:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Kinda following in the post above me, I have 15 guitars but I’ve never really spent money on amps.

I’m a relatively well off guy, and I want to blow about 2-3 grand to get two or 3 good amps.

I’m thinking I want the quintessential models from Vox, Fender, and Marshall.

Help me out? I don’t want big amps, but small gigs and bedroom applicable models. I want tube amps.

So Vox, ac15 with alnico?

What about for Fender or Marshall?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Do you want a fender with reverb or just like a plain Jane champ?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

None of the famous amps are fit for bedrooms. They're famous because people played loud gigs with them before PA was invented.

Invest in a nice load box like the Universal Audio Ox or the Two Notes Torpedo, and then buy whatever huge amp catches your fancy. You don't even need a big cabinet, you can run the load box's audio out to some nice studio monitors.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Captain Apollo posted:

Kinda following in the post above me, I have 15 guitars but I’ve never really spent money on amps.

I’m a relatively well off guy, and I want to blow about 2-3 grand to get two or 3 good amps.

Help me out? I don’t want big amps, but small gigs and bedroom applicable models. I want tube amps.

For Marshall I can recommend the studio series heads they put out recently ish. There's a plexi (60s classic rock) a JCM 800 (80's rock through hardcore/metal with a bit of a push) and a silver jubilee (slightly more modern/shreddy). Half the physical size of standard Marshall heads, 20 watts with a low power mode.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the princeton reissues fender has out right now are pretty good, i've been around the stores recently and played all of them. the 65 is fine if you aren't feeling super spendy, the 64 hand wired will probably last for 50+ years if you want an heirloom and the 68 has a modified high gain tone stack if you'd like something a little hairier.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Fender the Deluxe reverb sound I prefer to the Fender Twin sound and its 22 watts rather than 100.

Marshall have a 20watt JCM800 now.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Or you could spring for the Katana Artist with that unlimited budget.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

>Bedroom amp
>Classic old school tube sound

Pick one, as others have said. You can try all you want but youll never get the sounds youre thinking of with tiny bedroom amps, tube or not.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For bedroom amps, the Boss Katana Mk II works pretty well. I myself am super partial to the Yamaha THR 10-X which, while old, still lends itself super well to making demos and even great final tunes!

Funnily enough, the THR10X, along with its "specialized" brethren seem to be actually going up in price now that they've been discontinued. Might want to look at your local Craigslist, ebay or FB groups to see what you can snatch!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the HiWatt Hi-5 has a goofy name but is the greatest bedroom amp if you like distortion. Gives you heavy tube tones at reasonable volumes.

Otherwise as others have said the Katana is great for more clean stuff.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Honestly, if you really feel like splurging, you should look at Mesa - something like a Triple Crown 50 or Fillmore 50 will give you a wide variety of sounds, with the former more Marshall-y and the latter more Fender-y. Mesas typically have excellent master volumes too, so you can use them at any volume.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

newer mesas have some really good DI stuff built in too, 'cabclone' i think they call it. I usually have my triple crown plugged right into the MPC and use headphones because of my apartment

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Mesa Cali Tweed can go from 40w down to 2w and a lot of different power settings in between

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

mesa makes good stuff :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nth'ing Mesa stuff. Because even if expensive, it'll make you shake real good. :rock:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
If I was looking to buy a small gig/bedroom tube amp:
Fender: Blues Jr. combo (15W)
Marshall: DSL20C combo(10W/20W switchable) or Origin 5 combo (5W/0.5W switchable)
Vox: AC4TV (4 watts, 1 watt, or ¼ watt)

If not committed to a tube amp:
Boss Katana 50

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
well, be warned, once you get out of the big 3 and into various boutique companies the rabbit hole is deep.

not calling mesa boutique, but especially for fender and vox stuff there are just about a zillion companies out there doing takes on their classic designs.

i've never had a chance to play one, but apparently tone king is the cadillac of fender style self attenuated tube amps (and priced accordingly).

*edit*

betterinsodapop posted:

If I was looking to buy a small gig/bedroom tube amp:
Fender: Blues Jr. combo (15W)
Marshall: DSL20C combo(10W/20W switchable) or Origin 5 combo (5W/0.5W switchable)
Vox: AC4TV (4 watts, 1 watt, or ¼ watt)

If not committed to a tube amp:
Boss Katana 50

i'd add the blackstar ht-1r to that list of bedroom tube amps. i've got one and i've been extremely happy with it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Stringent, somebody just listed a HT-1Rh for 250 locally on Craigslist. Easy pickup you think? Like, should I do it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Captain Apollo posted:

Stringent, somebody just listed a HT-1Rh for 250 locally on Craigslist. Easy pickup you think? Like, should I do it?

I don't know the market there at all (I'm in Japan) so I don't know if that's a good price or not, but the amp is great, I love mine to death.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

I don’t think that’s a great deal, but it’s not horrible. Used ones seem to go for somewhere around $200, though there’s tax and shipping for most of it. I’d go try some amps personally. Blackstars are worth considering, but there are a number of options in that space.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It’s the head and the 1x12 cab…

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why is this even a question, then?! Do it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not trying to sound like an rear end without a reason but it's the head and the cab. That's a no-brainer if you ask me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, I've got the combo and the weak link is definitely the speaker. I hooked it into a 1x10 cabinet I had laying around and it was significant improvement (obviously, but still).

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Today I bought a

Fender Blues Deluxe (tweed)

Black star HT-1R head and cabinet.

My journey towards good tone begins!

I’ve never had a anything other than a combo. Can I get a cool Marshall head and play it through this black star cabinet?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You can play any head through any cab as long as its rated correctly for impedance and such

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Kvlt! posted:

You can play any head through any cab as long as its rated correctly for impedance and such

How much should I care about the cab. Is the process find a head you like then get a matching cabinet?

Or mix and match?

What are the guiding principles?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

How much should I care about the cab. Is the process find a head you like then get a matching cabinet?

Or mix and match?

What are the guiding principles?

You should care about cab since it affects tone a fair bit (how *much* you should care is subjective)

Size matters with a cab, a 4x12 will obviously sound 'bigger' than a 1x12, but whether that's desirable is up to the player. Rock and Metal players like 4x12s (though most settle for 2x12s these days) cause they go 'thunk' in a statisfying way in the 100hz range. Players who don't find that important in their music may find that that extra bass is undesirable and muddy and prefer a smaller amp. Personally I think you need at least a 1x12 for a little punch, anything smaller than that like the blackstars 1x8 is for portability rather than pleasure.

Speakers matter, lots of entry level cabs come with cheap speakers that are kind of bland. Vintage 30's are the go to metal speaker because they have a pleasing snarl quality to them that pairs well with gain. Greenbacks/creambacks are a little more woody and vintage but still punchy, T75s are kind of focused and nasal, then there are the eminence and fender ones I don't know much about.

Whether a cab is open or closed back will affect how it disperses. Rock guys tend to like closed back for the focused aggression. Players who are cleaner like the extra dispersion of an open back cab.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I almost exclusively go 2x12 or 2x10 these days-

4x12 are nice to have but unless you have a roadie, they are not loving worth it, even with good casters. They are just... so loving cumbersome.

Also you know what's been the biggest revelation to me as a guitar player? Sometimes you have a find so grand, you completely eschew common sense and stan for it.

You know what's that for me? The Boss Katana 2x12 that I bought for 150 buckaronies and basically ended up sending both my Zilla and my Orange to the storehouse. Legit there's no better companion for my Mesa heads.

Which Mesa heads, you ask?

All of them. :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
drat, that's one hell of an endorsement for the Katana.