Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://futurism.com/new-york-times-watermelons-mars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

what if the US is using "aliens disabling our nukes" as a cover for their crumbling infrastructure at nuclear silos

why say anything at all in public, if critical stuff was having problems. Also, a lot of these reports were from the cold war days when those silos were pretty new

and if you do have a cover story, why is it one with ufos, that makes u look crazy or like you cant protect your own airspace from chinese hyper drones

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

WEH posted:

Re: them doing the same to submarines, well, a couple ballistic subs were lost in the 60s for reasons unresolved...

Early submarines were lovely, and some modern submarines continue to be lovely. Yeah, it’s possible, but it’s a lot easier to explain lost submarines than decades of people seeing the same 2-3 types of weird aerial stuff.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rah! posted:

why say anything at all in public, if critical stuff was having problems. Also, a lot of these reports were from the cold war days when those silos were pretty new

and if you do have a cover story, why is it one with ufos, that makes u look crazy or like you cant protect your own airspace from chinese hyper drones

yea anything short of aliens would be very embarrassing for the usa

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

China's progressed enough that they've got good data on ufos and was gonna spill the beans so the US needed to start covering their rear end about their lying for the last 80 years is making a lot of sense to me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bob Socko posted:

Early submarines were lovely, and some modern submarines continue to be lovely. Yeah, it’s possible, but it’s a lot easier to explain lost submarines than decades of people seeing the same 2-3 types of weird aerial stuff.

I will never loving set foot in a submarine
man is not meant to live in underwater steel coffins
no thanks

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

yea, i was just joshing around

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it's in the usas best interest for it to be aliens rather than risk people thinking a fellow earth colony has been owning us for decades in secret

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Bob Socko posted:

They didn't even have ballistic nukes on em, I got my sub disasters mixed up

nvm one did, gently caress!!

WEH has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Jun 9, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

also yes gently caress being on a submarine

not even once

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

After 3 mahattans I've come around to thinking Delonge is just a convenient figure that was used by military officials to help further there agenda of disclosure, which I further validate by the fact that Elizondo has disowned him

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Bob Socko posted:

Early submarines were lovely,

some europeans built them with screen doors,

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Wheeee posted:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3136078/china-military-uses-ai-track-rapidly-increasing-ufos

China's speaking out publicly on this topic as they've also been experiencing an increasing number of UAP incidents, at this point it looks like the American government is trying to get out ahead of something

or a sign they're seeing our counterintel & disnfo and buy that they are ufos :tinfoil:

edit:
also this

Ratios and Tendency posted:

China's progressed enough that they've got good data on ufos and was gonna spill the beans so the US needed to start covering their rear end about their lying for the last 80 years is making a lot of sense to me.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

some europeans built them with screen doors,

The English removed the rest of the sheep

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

it is my firm belief that aliens would be friendly or at least passive. but try not to think about what hostile aliens would mean after smoking a lot of weed

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

WEH posted:

Whatever they are were weird enough back then that no one seriously thought they were soviet; honestly if they did our response would have been far more aggressive, right?

Re: them doing the same to submarines, well, a couple ballistic subs were lost in the 60s for reasons unresolved...

The UFOs are Soviet tech, which Howard Hughes recovered with the Glomar Explorer when it successfully lifted K-129, contrary to public reports that it malfunctioned and lost most of the sub. The US was shocked to find that the tubes were not filled with nuclear missiles but several examples of this unknown tech. However, they now just have the tech, and maybe some operating manuals, but none of them have even the barest hint at how they function.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Elizondo has also been disowned by portions of the community and apparently has threatened legal action on some of them. My read is that people have been fed different info assuming differing outcomes for years and now that the writing appears to be on the wall everyone is scrambling for the scoop without having a clear idea of what exactly is coming.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WEH posted:

Elizondo has also been disowned by portions of the community and apparently has threatened legal action on some of them. My read is that people have been fed different info assuming differing outcomes for years and now that the writing appears to be on the wall everyone is scrambling for the scoop without having a clear idea of what exactly is coming.

Well whatever happens I feel pretty confident I will read it here first and then post about it for several pages as the ships descend into my skyline outside my window before joining the shitposting nexus of the futureworld

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

ufo influencers (alienfluencers?) are definitely going through a social shakeup with lots of backbiting and drama. I mean, imagine if the US gov and scientists started suddenly doing an about face on bigfoot. There'd be shootouts in the PNW between cryptid authors

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Log082 posted:

they probably don't honestly, i just thought the idea of poor aliens having to repeatedly save the dumb apes from themselves with ever increasing amounts of exasperation was funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4uunFgO1k

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh my god my childhood

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bullfrog posted:

ufo influencers (alienfluencers?) are definitely going through a social shakeup with lots of backbiting and drama. I mean, imagine if the US gov and scientists started suddenly doing an about face on bigfoot. There'd be shootouts in the PNW between cryptid authors

that basically describes the state of ufology since...well as long as they're have been ufologists there's been lots of backbiting and drama

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ufology is equal parts hustle and op

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bullfrog posted:

I WANT TO
BELIEVE

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Back to submarines, I've been in a small WW2-era sub that's maintained at a maritime museum, and I couldn't imagine spending a few days in it let alone weeks or months at sea with other people.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

imagine if suddenly, the Scottish government was like "yeah, we have no evidence that it's nessie but there is something in the Loch Ness that can't be explained

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Tekne posted:

This is the first place I've talked about my silver cigar over the refinery siting. My friend who was driving lives in that town, and none of her family or friends saw anything that night. None of my folks witnessed it either. From that point you just don't talk about it unless you took pictures or made a video.

It's a cool story, thanks for telling it

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
here's a fun theory - jeff bezos somehow made contact with whatever is out there and managed to set up some sort of very public rendezvous in space, with himself as humanity's self-appointed ambassador!

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Hirsute posted:

here's a fun theory - jeff bezos somehow made contact with whatever is out there and managed to set up some sort of very public rendezvous in space, with himself as humanity's self-appointed ambassador!

i hope they blast him out an airlock

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Hirsute posted:

instead of making contact, he probably would have won it in some top secret government auction where certain individuals could pay for the privilege of being the public contactee. he would have won it by attrition

Dastardly_Crapsack
Oct 17, 2008
Oh my loving god jeff bezos is bob dobbs and the xists are coming. Get ready to set your calenders to 7-5-98

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Hirsute posted:

pancake rabbit posted:

jeff bezos, ambassador of humanity, initiator of first contact

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

imagine if suddenly, the Scottish government was like "yeah, we have no evidence that it's nessie but there is something in the Loch Ness that can't be explained

honestly this would be way more believable than aliens

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

pancake rabbit posted:

honestly this would be way more believable than aliens

i want a loving living plesiosaur just as much as I want aliens but, in this current day and age, I am forced to admit that the latter is somehow more likely.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I want to see borg queen bezos with the tits and all that

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

I want to see borg queen bezos with the tits and all that

i think you want the deviantart thread in gbs, not the ufo thread here

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Bill Clinton now saying ufos are real.

https://twitter.com/Deepneuron/status/1402288478616842246

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

what does disabled mean?
they somehow neutered the required atomic process for explosion? mechanically hosed with the bomb? beamed it up and subbed in some bananas?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

eh

his statement and obama's statement are both super vague. it just seems like they're hedging because they don't want to look like rubes if it turns out their own government was keeping information from them while they were in office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Bullfrog posted:

irn bru?