Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like running winters in Central Illinois. I would use Continental DWS tires for my summer/all season and they would be trash in the snow long before they were bad in the rain, so I got an extra year out of them. I did run into poorly plowed country roads on the regular.

Though snow tires are less and less useful every year. I think they got actual use twice two winters ago, once three winters ago. (I only did 1,000 miles last winter...)

If you can avoid driving when it is actively snowing, they're less useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
central illinois has worse weather and more snow than Baltimore, I bet

Baltimore's probably good for a shellacking every other year or so but the whole joint is pretty shut down at that point anyway

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, other than a vague sense that running two sets of tires is better or competent and handy or some bullshit like that, I don't have any motivation to make the move if there isn't a major benefit to it. It's just something that I figured "well, I could do that if I ever move into a house" and now I've moved into a house.

It didn't snow a single flake in Baltimore in winter 2019-2020, but there were a few decent storms this most recent winter. It snows more in my hometown in Ohio though and I always just used all season tires and didn't have a problem. Seems like it's probably not worth it. Thanks everyone!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Racing Stripe posted:

Yeah, other than a vague sense that running two sets of tires is better or competent and handy or some bullshit like that, I don't have any motivation to make the move if there isn't a major benefit to it. It's just something that I figured "well, I could do that if I ever move into a house" and now I've moved into a house.

It didn't snow a single flake in Baltimore in winter 2019-2020, but there were a few decent storms this most recent winter. It snows more in my hometown in Ohio though and I always just used all season tires and didn't have a problem. Seems like it's probably not worth it. Thanks everyone!

Just FYI. Winter tyres is not about it snowing or not. It's mostly about temperatures with the possibility of snow / ice . That being said, all seasons are pretty good nowadays so if it's legal to run them during winter and you are comfortable with the added risk I guess why not?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

Just FYI. Winter tyres is not about it snowing or not. It's mostly about temperatures with the possibility of snow / ice . That being said, all seasons are pretty good nowadays so if it's legal to run them during winter and you are comfortable with the added risk I guess why not?

I'm looking at the CrossClimate 2s for when I have to replace the tires on my EV. I use the Subaru with Blizzaks for real snow but I'd like to be able to move the EV around if I need to during snow. They look good, although don't brake as well as the Blizzaks in videos I've seen and I haven't seen an ice comparison yet. Otherwise they're really good with little compromise

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Idk what the winters are like in Baltimore but if you're keeping the car for a few years and can swap the wheels over there's no real downside to having a winter and summer set. You're only wearing one set at a time. If you're only keeping it a year then financially the all seasons may be a better bet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
effort is the main downside

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You wear winter tires because even all-seasons start to lose traction below ~45°F, even in dead-dry conditions.

(They’re certainly good to colder temps than that, but that’s where the traction starts to fall off.)

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Yes look for all weathers not all seasons if you want a safe all year compromise.

Not too many to choose, but they seem to be well regarded.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

smooth jazz posted:

Yes look for all weathers not all seasons if you want a safe all year compromise.

Not too many to choose, but they seem to be well regarded.

This hopefully is outdated information but Nokian all weather tires used to be very very picky about wheel alignment. Especially toe. They would wear really quickly if your alignment was off in any way. Usually this isn't an issue since it's always a good idea to get an alignment before tossing on new tires. Plus, since abnormal wear patterns tend to jump out on a larger treat block tire, it's a good warning. The tires will let you know very quickly.

Quite a few of my friends and family have all weather all terrain tires on their vehicles and all of them quite like them. I'll be tossing a set of my truck very soon as well. Neither the Cooper or Yokohama's in question have any of the wear vs alignment issues.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Toe will kill any tire quickly, not just Nokians. I'd say it's probably the #1 reason people try to claim mileage warranties, even when we tell them to have their alignment checked after seeing the condition of the old tires. Excessive camber will wear a lot slower, but excess toe will scrub the poo poo out of a set of tires in very short order.

Regarding all weather tires, look for the Goodyear Weatherready or the Michelin CrossClimate 2. They've both been very well received here in MN, and the Goodyear have been doing well with respect to mileage warranties.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Quoting myself from a few pages ago below, but I can’t recommend Cross Climates highly enough. Unless you are planning on regularly driving on unploughed & untreated roads, or live somewhere where you have bad conditions for months not days you’ll be fine without dedicated winters.

stump posted:

My wife’s Fiesta sized Peugeot has first gen, half worn Michelin Crossclimates and once the worst of the snow had been plowed we cleared the foot of snow off the roof and took it shopping. Honestly, I would have still been very impressed if they were dedicated winters. When we got back a mini was stuck on our narrow hill, so I took the pug up a steeper, narrower and very snowy hill to get in, drove half over a curb past the now sideways mini half blocking our entrance, all with no bother whatsoever. I did use the landrover to unstick the mini though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The benefit of having a having winter/summer set is that you can run some nice sticky rubber in the summer, which are absolutely dogshit in the cold and even the smallest amount of snow.

I just ordered a set of Nankang NS-2R tires to replace the old and worn Yoko AD08s. I couldn't find any hard data on performance but most anecdotal evidence seems to suggest they're pretty good, and for $50/corner less, I'm willing to give them a shot.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Porsche thread already heard this, but here's good too. I put the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus on my Cayman back in March. Since I daily it I needed something that wouldn't hockeypuck in average Seattle weather.

They are fan-loving-tastic and anyone who says an all-season can't perform is a parrot or a shill. This Plus version came out just back in January so the reviews are a little indirect and sparse. My only gripe is that they kinda 'bong' on bumps at speed, but one hears everything in a Cayman with the stereo down and windows up.

I was coming from well-worn Potenza S001s which were hot garbage and tried to spin me on a wet but straight section of I-5. Even in dry mildly chilly weather they'd break loose on every onramp.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Not to say the DWS06's aren't a good tire, but an all season tire will not perform as well as a dedicated winter tire, especially when things get cold. Average Seattle weather is neither cold nor snowy, with average temperatures never being below freezing for a month and average snowfall of <5". Your conditions are perfect for an all season tire, but if you live somewhere it gets cold / snowy for real, an all weather or winter tire is a far better option.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use DWS tires as "three season" tires (mostly as a summer tire, but I want something that can handle cold snaps and random snow falls in the late spring and early fall). After two or three seasons, I find them useless in even light snow falls.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
how stiff are the sidewalls on the conti extremecontact sport?

I want something that has a bit more steering feel, but isn't super grippy (no RE71R, Z3, etc)

e: on the topic of the bridgestone S001, i liked them a lot as the OE tire on my ND. stiffish sidewall and pretty low grip made the car a lot of fun to drive, but I'm not spending $200/tire on the OE replacement. The DWS06s I put on the car completely killed the steering feel because the tire is so floppy.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I just picked up a set of BFG Sport Comp 2 A/S + (What is it with tire manufactures and such long product names?)

The sidewalls are noticeably stiffer than the Hankook V12's I was running before. Let alone the winter set of Gislaveds.

I'm overall very happy with them. Especially with how linear the traction breakaway and respective feedback is. They are however very noisy at low speed and sticky enough that they pick up rocks like an R comp despite the 400TW.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Phone posted:

e: on the topic of the bridgestone S001, i liked them a lot as the OE tire on my ND. stiffish sidewall and pretty low grip made the car a lot of fun to drive, but I'm not spending $200/tire on the OE replacement. The DWS06s I put on the car completely killed the steering feel because the tire is so floppy.

Different beast entirely I think. I'm on the Carrera 20" wheels so the bit of squish smoothed things out a bit for daily driving. They just feel a little different in the same way that electric steering feels different from hydraulic: Anyone who says there's a hindrance or impact or whatever is probably full of poo poo and not as good a driver as they think for the difference to actually matter. It's the car's job to feel the road and maximize grip, not mine.

Forgot to mention I just had to go 10-over (235/265 to 245/275) to get the 06 Plus onto my Cayman. I think it put me into common Audi sizes. The extra section and rim protection makes them look beefy as gently caress.

(Later realized this is comparing front to rear, whatever)

I think it also really needed the alignment I got at the same time. The Bridgestone's shoulders were initially a little bald but plenty in the ribs, especially the front passenger, so I probably shouldn't compare grip too much. I'll have to recoat my rims once I decide what color too.

Also: Don't be a dumbass like me. On the bars is on the bars.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 12, 2021

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Impreza, just a daily driver

I'm looking to buy a set of wheels for my summer tires and leave the winters on the oems. I've been looking at Tirerack, is there some other site I should check out?

I don't know any of these companies, does it matter? I assume I want the lightest I am willing to pay for, is that the gist of it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dukket posted:

Impreza, just a daily driver

I'm looking to buy a set of wheels for my summer tires and leave the winters on the oems. I've been looking at Tirerack, is there some other site I should check out?

I don't know any of these companies, does it matter? I assume I want the lightest I am willing to pay for, is that the gist of it?

Enkei RPF1s are really light, although I managed to bend one on a gravel road, probably when I was doing 60+ mph 🤷‍♂️. It managed to hold the air for the ~400 miles home.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been buying rashed up OEM wheels from the junkyard.

They're a little more expensive than the cheapest Tire Rack set, but I know there's millions of them out there if I need to replace one.

(I broke a wheel from Tire Rack and couldn't but an identical replacement because they changed the width for some reason, so I had to buy a whole new set as a replacement and that sucked.)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Charles posted:

Enkei RPF1s are really light, although I managed to bend one on a gravel road, probably when I was doing 60+ mph 🤷‍♂️. It managed to hold the air for the ~400 miles home.

Seconding the RPF1. I have a set on my ‘19 Si and they’re great. Not terribly expensive and pretty darn light.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motegi and Method Race Wheels both also make light and strong wheels in Subaru fitments.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I can't find PS4Ss for love or money anywhere, so I'm thinking of getting Cup 2s to replace the stock PZeros on my car. I'm not too afraid of the cold, since I'll never drive it in anything but 50+ degree weather, but does anyone know what they're like in the wet?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wish I could get RPF1s for the miata for a reasonable sum, as much of a cliche as it is. Right now I'm still on the curbed and corroded OEMs for the summer (which I tried to restore as much as possible) and other OEM Enkeis I got for cheap for winter. I actually wanted to get another set for the NS-2Rs that will hopefully arrive this week and keep the old Yokohamas on this set to use up on track, but there's hardly anything that is almost nothing that's reasonably priced, not heavier than OEM, and looks decent.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Thanks for the replies.

The RPF1's are more than I was hoping to spend. :(

Bleh, maybe I'll just get a set of OEMs

I haven't been able to find the weight of the OEM's.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:yeshaha:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I thought that was one tire at first and was like "no way is that only a 195!"

I need more coffee.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol yeah these are actually pretty tiny by modern standards. But it's the only legal size and in any case seems like a good size/weight/grip as far as I'm concerned. Curious how these will compare with the AD08, they were pretty old and worn down by now but still seemed to grip well.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
There must still be some problems with tire supply chains, I just tried to order a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/As for a 68 Cutlass and was told it would be 8 - 10 weeks! Now this is for 14 in wheels and I’m in Canada but I wasn’t expecting it to be that bad.

I’ll just put Cooper Cobras on instead, they can get those overnight, it will be fine. It’s my third choice, what I really wanted was Coker redlines but those were going to be 400$ cdn per tire!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Fornax Disaster posted:

There must still be some problems with tire supply chains, I just tried to order a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/As for a 68 Cutlass and was told it would be 8 - 10 weeks! Now this is for 14 in wheels and I’m in Canada but I wasn’t expecting it to be that bad.

I’ll just put Cooper Cobras on instead, they can get those overnight, it will be fine. It’s my third choice, what I really wanted was Coker redlines but those were going to be 400$ cdn per tire!

everyones supply chains are hosed in everything

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Fornax Disaster posted:

I ordered a set of four radial t/as last week from a local shop and the smaller front tires were at the shop already the next morning. The larger rears a few days later. So I guess the supply chain varies

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steve French posted:

I ordered a set of four radial t/as last week from a local shop and the smaller front tires were at the shop already the next morning. The larger rears a few days later. So I guess the supply chain varies

Probably just stock levels at the local/regional warehouses

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oops, just found this thread. Crossposting from the general questions thread:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Help I don’t know anything about tires!

I need some new tires for my 2010 Xterra OFF ROAD EDITION. It’s had BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA tires on it it’s whole life and that’s the OEM tire. They’ve been fine I guess but nowhere seems to have them at the moment, and at around 40-50K miles wet weather performance definitely drops fast. I go on muddy woods roads sometimes, but not like extreme mud off-roading or anything, and they did fine for that. I’m on the gulf coast and it never ices or anything but we get ALOT of heavy rain- good wet weather on the interstate performance with okay off road capability is really my top priority. I don’t want big loud mud tires or anything. One place I called looking for the Rugged Trail suggested a Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3, and google says they are fine but I always trust goons over google.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm also curious what A/T tires people like. I'm leaning towards the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws because they seem super popular and are well reviewed, but it's hard to tell what the actual difference is between the various A/Ts.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I've mentioned in the thread before that I am a huge fan of the Yokohama Geolander G015's.

They're the lightest by given size of any snowflake / mountain peak rated all weather all terrain tire.

They also come in two different ply counts per size. Sadly only the higher ply count tire is available with raised white letters.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm also curious what A/T tires people like. I'm leaning towards the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws because they seem super popular and are well reviewed, but it's hard to tell what the actual difference is between the various A/Ts.

There's still a big range within A/T tires of "how A/T is it". I've had some that were slightly knobbier than highway tires.

I had the AT3Ws on my Grand Cherokee at the end, I liked them a lot. I like my BFG AT KO2s better offroad, but I liked the AT3Ws everywhere else more.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I went with Geolandars but haven't installed em yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I was going to mount my new tires on the stock Miata wheels, but even though I cleaned up some of the rash and scratches, there's still paint peeling off on the spokes and around valve stems so I'm thinking I might treat myself to some new wheels.

The ones I found are 15x7.5 ET30. Would this be too wide for the 195 tires?

https://www.nankangusa.com/passenger-tires/ns-2r-sportnex/

It's not an approved width and I'm not a huge stretching fan, but would this work? The wheels aren't exactly the legal anyway so whatever.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 24, 2021