Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can you give some examples? I'm trying to think of like PS1/N64 games or earlier that I would want two sticks for

wolfenstein 3d, doom, heretic/hexen, duke 3d and quake all have native source ports that support dual sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

wolfenstein 3d, doom, heretic/hexen, duke 3d and quake all have native source ports that support dual sticks

oh that's neat

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

Here is the list of ps1 games that require two analog sticks:

Ape Escape

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can you give some examples? I'm trying to think of like PS1/N64 games or earlier that I would want two sticks for

Medal of Honor and Mega Man Legends 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Medal of Honor and Mega Man Legends 2

Mega Man Legends needs a whole new control scheme, yes

Weedle
May 31, 2006

note also that retroarch lets you bind controls to the analog sticks even if the game you're running doesn't support them natively, so you can create your own dual stick control schemes and for some games it actually works great. king's field and armored core are way more playable this way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve posted about these hand held PCs before and I currently have the GPD winMAX.

I like it but I’m not a fan of the intel processor and what a pain it was to change the TDP.

I saw the Aya Neo crowd funding and managed to get in on the cheapest version. Yay right?? Well…….

I get this email today,

quote:

In order to improve the performance of WIN Max,

we will upgrade WIN Max and name it as WIN Max 2021.

It is planned to crowdfund in indiegogo at the end of June.

WIN Max 2021 will support two types of processors for three types,

namely Intel Core1185G7/1165G7, and AMD Ryzen 7 4800U.

Details can be viewed through the IGG preview link:

https://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/f5a4200c#/

WIN Max 2021 Official Website:

https://www.gpd.hk/gpdwinmax2021

At the same time,
considering the upgrade issues of WIN Max old backers,
we will provide old backers with the opportunity
to purchase motherboard upgrades chance.
Backers who participated in the WIN Max crowdfunding,
as well as backers who purchased at the official AliExpress store,
can upgrade by purchasing a new motherboard.
We will provide instructional videos for
disassembling and upgrading the motherboard,
as well as the auxiliary materials needed to
upgrade the motherboard, such as screwdrivers,
silicone grease, and flashing USB flash drives.

So lol I could just upgrade with an AMD motherboard lol.

It’s actually really drat cool that they are even offering it and it does make the device a lot more powerful. I’m just curious how much the upgrade is going to actually cost because I think the ram is actually soldered down so it’s not like it’s gonna be a sub $200 upgrade.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Weedle posted:

note also that retroarch lets you bind controls to the analog sticks even if the game you're running doesn't support them natively, so you can create your own dual stick control schemes and for some games it actually works great. king's field and armored core are way more playable this way

If King's Field doesn't feel like you're controlling a human by yelling commands down a hallway then you're not playing King's Field.

But yeah, the second stick has more utility than it initially seems if you're into custom layouts or playing native ports, but I just can't deal with the lower-res 3:2 screens on the 351P and M, and after having my RG350M for almost a year I can still count the number of times I've actually used the right stick on two hands.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

flavor.flv posted:

Here is the list of ps1 games that require two analog sticks:

Ape Escape

i’d rather die than not be able to play ape escape

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Declan MacManus posted:

i’d rather die than not be able to play ape escape

Jeffrey Epstein's last words

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sethsez posted:

If King's Field doesn't feel like you're controlling a human by yelling commands down a hallway then you're not playing King's Field.

But yeah, the second stick has more utility than it initially seems if you're into custom layouts or playing native ports, but I just can't deal with the lower-res 3:2 screens on the 351P and M, and after having my RG350M for almost a year I can still count the number of times I've actually used the right stick on two hands.

why didn't they just make the 351p/m 480p... :negative:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Barudak posted:

Mega Man Legends needs a whole new control scheme, yes

MML2 has dual analog controls already

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Weedle posted:

why didn't they just make the 351p/m 480p... :negative:

I've bought a 350m since getting my 351p, solely because of the screen (and pushed over the edge by your comparison posts earlier in the thread).

The 351v doesn't appeal at all because of the form factor, but I'd love a 350m with rk3326 guts. Having the two of them covers all bases but syncing saves between them is a PITA.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Are there no plans to make a horizontal one with the better screen? They do seem to iterate them all the time

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are there no plans to make a horizontal one with the better screen? They do seem to iterate them all the time

Doubtful, there's already info coming out about the rg552, which is the next chipset they're working with.

Of course they also released the 280v after the 351p so who knows

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does the 552 require lots of juice and active cooling? That would be getting into “meh” territory for me.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The “leaks” so far say yes, unfortunately. I’m hoping we’ll get. 5.5 inch device that still uses the current processor because honestly it plays all of the system I’m interested in but I’d love a bigger screen.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
finally had some time to setup emuelec on my odroid go super. super easy to do! only genesis so far, but time to revisit some of the terrible games I used to play as a kid (maybe i'll finally beat the taz mania mine cart level lol)

thanks thread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there any alternate firmware that’s good for the RG280V?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So there's this hack of rhythm heaven ds that replaces the touch controls with buttons, has anybody tried it on any of these devices?

https://skelux.net/showthread.php?tid=963

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any alternate firmware that’s good for the RG280V?

I've been using Rogue and that hasn't given me any problems like the base FW or beta versions of OpenDingux have: https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/cfw-rg280v-'rogue'/

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Someone just (very nicely!) gifted me the new-ish Nintendo Game & Watch. It seems like hacks/mods for it are still very early days, but my dream would just be in someone could add SMB3 instead of the ball game. From what i've read it seems like it'll always require a fairly in-depth process to change anything on it, but one can dream. The form factor is great, and I love the screen.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
What should I buy for my 5 yr old? My old DS disappeared.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

sonatinas posted:

Considering their age probably should just go with a GBA SP off eBay and some flash carts for both Game Boy/GBC and GBA games

Or for that matter if you can find an early model DS or DS Lite in reasonably good condition get that as well since DS flash carts are ludicrously cheap and you'd still be able to use a GBA flash cart as well

As for why I'm not suggesting a proper 3rd party retro handheld, well even though many of these are quite durable, it's still something I wouldn't recommend leaving in the hands of a five year old for any truly significant amount of time, while old Nintendo handhelds are generally built like tanks and will probably survive most things a five year old could do short of being dropped in a toilet or pool

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nintendo had some 2ds for 49.99 the other day. I’d just do that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a hankering to get caught up on Metroid/Castlevania/Pokémon DS games but the thousand different models confuse me.

If I buy the newest flip 2DS can I flash cart original DS games?

Edit: these are more expensive than Switches. Hey Nintendo you jackasses make some DS games for Switch.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 17, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rolo posted:

I have a hankering to get caught up on Metroid/Castlevania/Pokémon DS games but the thousand different models confuse me.

If I buy the newest flip 2DS can I flash cart original DS games?

Edit: these are more expensive than Switches. Hey Nintendo you jackasses make some DS games for Switch.

Yeah 2DS will accept DS flash carts no problem since they're backwards compatible with most DS games*(and even before Nintendo stopped updating the 3DS family they hadn't bothered with blocking DS flash carts in years), indeed 3DS flash carts are often the exact same thing as modern DS flash carts, just a matter of different software(though using it for 3DS games requires hacking the system)

*indeed they usually work by tricking the system into thinking it's a real DS game(most commonly a specific Bomberman game but I'm sure others have been used for that purpose as well)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The only retro console that is really at "so cheap you don't worry about giving it to a kid" prices is the FC3000 Family Pocket, which goes for about $20-something USD on AliExpress and $30-something USD on Amazon

https://obscurehandhelds.com/2020/11/the-value-proposition-a-look-at-the-family-pocket-fc3000/

For that low low price you get something with a 3 inch screen and 4 buttons that can do NES, GameBoy (Color), Master System, GameGear, Genesis, and old Capcom arcade games. Naturally for something so cheap it requires some work to get it working and looking right with screenshots and everything, but you can't beat the price. Just be careful, most cheap Family Pockets you can find will just be cheap famiclones (NES only) instead.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MarcusSA posted:

Nintendo had some 2ds for 49.99 the other day. I’d just do that.

Where did you see that? I can’t find them at that price.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sonatinas posted:

Where did you see that? I can’t find them at that price.

They were refurbished ones last week. They’ll probably add more as they get more in stock.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

They were refurbished Blue 2DS's, the flat kind not the 2DS XL which is has the clam shell and has the upgraded processor. They tend to go for cheaper because everyone wants the upgraded ones XL ones. Can't beat $49 and they are hackable right out of the box. You don't even need a flash card for DS games, everything can be run off the internal SD card. Allegedly not every DS game is compatible but it's run everything I've thrown at it which includes most major Nintendo releases.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Here's where you find them when they are available: https://store.nintendo.com/refurbished.html

They're great for kids and very easily hackable.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

They were refurbished ones last week. They’ll probably add more as they get more in stock.

I know this isn’t the Nintendo thread but if anyone sees this again please post.

Modding old systems for retro gaming counts :colbert:

sonatinas posted:

The chicken boi of course

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52lTuozWPYA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

I know this isn’t the Nintendo thread but if anyone sees this again please post.

Yeah I should have posted it but it slipped my mind. I saw it posted in the 3DS thread as well.

Next time I see it pop up I’ll post it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Weedle posted:

Any game that puts horizontal panning on L/R greatly benefits from the second stick, and that's a lot of RPGs and action games.

Also, it's a Dreamcast/Wii game, but Crazy Taxi works much better with twin sticks as well. That's how I have it running on my Vita and it's a sheer joy to play.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
What's my best bet for good solid built in D pad and buttons, but also phone functionality? I want to live the N-Gage/Xperia Play dream.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beffica posted:

What's my best bet for good solid built in D pad and buttons, but also phone functionality? I want to live the N-Gage/Xperia Play dream.

Probably this.

https://youtu.be/H-8f7CGEODw

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Walla posted:

Also, it's a Dreamcast/Wii game, but Crazy Taxi works much better with twin sticks as well. That's how I have it running on my Vita and it's a sheer joy to play.

I'm interested, what's the control setup you've got here then? (i.e. what have you mapped to the right stick, presuming left is the default for steering)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Froist posted:

I'm interested, what's the control setup you've got here then? (i.e. what have you mapped to the right stick, presuming left is the default for steering)

I just mapped Drive/Reverse to Up/Down. Makes dashing and power braking much easier than trying to use X/O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

So there's this hack of rhythm heaven ds that replaces the touch controls with buttons, has anybody tried it on any of these devices?

https://skelux.net/showthread.php?tid=963

I tried it but as far as I can tell (on the rg351p) it's still unplayable; the title screen needs a flick to bypass and it just doesn't seem possible with Drastic's stick controls for the virtual stylus.

Walla posted:

I just mapped Drive/Reverse to Up/Down. Makes dashing and power braking much easier than trying to use X/O.

Ah yeah, I missed the "Vita" part of your original post. Just tried this out and it does feel a lot more natural, but running in RetroArch (to get configurable controls) is far lower performance than RetroRun on arkOS. Shame.

Froist fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 17, 2021