Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Vastakaiun posted:

My first EXO comeback is finally here. :neckbeard: I doubt I'll obsess over this like Obsession, but I like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IkoKhr6Tss

EXO with the upbeat EDM banger? Just in time for hot girl summer??

This was basically Power 2.0 and all I wanted from a summer release. It’s obvious Chanyeol and Kai’s solo releases have made them more confident singers and hearing DO, Lay and Xiumin together on an EXO track again feels extremely nostalgic. Laughed out loud at Sehun coming through with the meaningless party lyrics too, 24/7 all day gonna be okay shawty about to turn it UP :amen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I watched every episode of that yuqi learn way show on youtube. It’s so loving good

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I watched every episode of that yuqi learn way show on youtube. It’s so loving good

Yuqi is the variety queen :allears:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Vastakaiun posted:

My first EXO comeback is finally here. :neckbeard: I doubt I'll obsess over this like Obsession, but I like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IkoKhr6Tss

Absolutely made my month that Lay has lines on every track :allears:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://youtu.be/ZGIY1agr3gg

I never would have expected a bossa nova title track from Twice but I love this sound

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Honestly even if you aren't super into their music, the show is just comedy gold constantly. I think there was only 1 or 2 episodes I didn't like really, but that was more the subject matter than anything else.

Also feel the need to expose people to Keembo. If you've been around a bit you probably remember Spica, two of their members (BoA and Bohyung) went on to make a duo after the group's contracts expired and all that. They've released a pretty broad section of types of songs so far, but they're definitely a couple of the strongest kpop singers. Scandalous is one of my favorite tracks from 2020.

Whatever - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll8akHNe4NY
Scandalous - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OwfwHwcmUE

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCa9uX6IpfM

jyp management still going with the interesting strategy of making Twice do things that involves English while still clearly not giving them time to properly learn english from someone, also it irritates me to no end that so many youtube shows have figured out how to manage a bilingual host behind the camera in things like this but that's still too hard for american media

Centusin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 7, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/BraveGirls/status/1401554475421114378

hell yeah

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Laughed out loud at Sehun coming through with the meaningless party lyrics too, 24/7 all day gonna be okay shawty about to turn it UP :amen:

This is the actual best part of the song

The new trailer for A.C.E's upcoming comeback is extremely my poo poo, I love it when k-pop gets artsy, because it always ends up being really beautiful even when you have no idea what's going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KVHZbj41Dg

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Really happy that they had this happen, and since Sistar disbanded there's been a bit of a void in terms of a consistently big summer hit group, though a lot of groups have sort of taken swings at it. I think they'll be able to claim that slot pretty easily as long as brave bros don't gently caress it up again. Still low key annoyed at him basically deciding to toss them on the back burner and farm out songs to groups that were doing well (which leads into a discussion about management styles of aiming to improve the company first or artist first, which maybe I'll expand my thoughts on at some point).

I remember when EXID had theirs happen, which was also great. Even better was they were doing a sort of self-filmed wrap up reality series for their fans and stuff at the time it happened, which was pretty amazing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Honestly even if you aren't super into their music, the show is just comedy gold constantly. I think there was only 1 or 2 episodes I didn't like really, but that was more the subject matter than anything else.

Also feel the need to expose people to Keembo. If you've been around a bit you probably remember Spica, two of their members (BoA and Bohyung) went on to make a duo after the group's contracts expired and all that. They've released a pretty broad section of types of songs so far, but they're definitely a couple of the strongest kpop singers. Scandalous is one of my favorite tracks from 2020.

Whatever - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll8akHNe4NY

thanks for posting this. freakin smooth

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Centusin posted:

Yeah so far all the b side teasers sound pretty good but that one stood out for me as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uq3P7zeYyU

Tempering my hype but wow this sounds so so solid.

Really excited now and relieved given I was rly let down by ITZYs last mini album (I somehow maybe only liked one song from that)

Edit: quoted the wrong post. The bike song is cute tho

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 8, 2021

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Speaking of summer queens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODhJSl-uGJo

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea basically everything she has done since she started solo stuff has been amazing, I'm really looking forward to it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the audacity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjcjMQI2kxs

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

:drat: they really did that

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Having not heard the original, that seems like a good song/cover.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

STAYC singing "I feel like fuckin something" and "wishin' that the pussy was a kissin' booth" were not anywhere on my Bingo card for 2021 KPOP :lol:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao STAYC owns

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
lmao I did NOT expect Sieun to just drop f bombs hahaha this kicks rear end

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea I'm pretty hype on the most recent sort of swarm of girl groups that debuted - stayc, tri.be, pixy, purple kiss, aespa. I figure in a year or two it'll swing around the stuff more like apink/gfriend/oh my girl, which is a little less my taste in music despite being good from a technical standpoint. But for now, I'll enjoy it and hope they all get traction.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Wheein's apparently not renewing her contract and leaving RBW, but is gonna stay in MAMAMOO

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nope. dont like that.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

https://twitter.com/theseoulstory/status/1402498029643440132?s=21

What a gut punch. I’ll need a minute

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
she gone bro

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I kind of can't get over this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18m8r3OBacI

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
rbw released a statement saying its still final round talks and nothing is finalised yet, it makes sense she'd leave though I think, she hasn't done much variety, and no acting either so leaving to go somewhere that will prioritise her as a solo singer seems like it would make sense

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

this one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNWCZLKdaek

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Hrmm, I thought she had resigned already? Dunno, I'll wait for something a bit more official. If its actually the case, rbw is one of the few companies I could see actually keeping the group doing stuff with split members.

Studio choom does a really good job with performance videos. Top notch cameras, but also they do a good job showcasing the performance without too much .. extra camera junk? Like there will be some, but it usually feels like it fits well and isn't overdone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

Studio choom does a really good job with performance videos. Top notch cameras, but also they do a good job showcasing the performance without too much .. extra camera junk?

Yeah Choom is pretty great. I love geeking out over well done camera work but a lot of stuff in kpop is so over the top and nausea inducing. Itzy's Mafia practice videos were egregious with the camera movement making it look like the building was a rocking boat. I really look forward to post covid show and award show stuff so they'll get away from multi takes with an up close handheld cam which is where most of that stuff is done.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Aespa's comeback has had some insane SM shot performances as well that are going a bit too overboard with the camera. Watched them react to their own video and they praise the camera, which yeah for sure but also idk. Its tough

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Aespa, for me, is the weakest in that list. Which is a bit weird, but SM hasn't really known what to do with a female group for like 8 years or something now. I don't know what it is, just feels like outside of girl's generation they haven't been able to just knock a female group out of the park. They do keep trying different sorts of things at least, and its SM so its not like they flop or anything, but dunno. Especially if you compare to what they're doing with male groups the different to me feels pretty stark.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/balloon_wanted/status/1402519705001234432?s=19

speaking of

I kinda like how wild SM is with their artists. Both Aespa songs really grew on me after the first few listens and even though SM is too pretentious with concept stuff they have the talent and budget to push past that silliness and still deliver (more credit to the talent than the company for that too).

Girl groups are definitely in an evolutionary period industry wide though. It feels like they have much broader styles represented now than boy groups, who have much more defined templates for success. It's good to see more darker style groups coming out and finding success alongside cute stuff like Weeekly (who are innovating that style at the same time). Twice is a good example too, they've become genre variety queens over the past two years after starting out as the cute girl group concept, and I think it's mostly been a success, especially for broadening their international fanbase which is all they really have left as far as growth. IZONE ending so fast left a big hole that someone needs to fill stylistically and I don't know of any groups that fit that yet.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 9, 2021

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

So drat excited for new RV :D

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's a shame if Wheein is leaving RBW, but I'm not at all surprised by it tbh. And it's not like this is the end of MAMAMOO. If anybody is going to carry the torch of BEG, it'll be them, and BEG has survived just fine the past fifteen years with members in different agencies at different times, and though most of them are all under one umbrella again now, Narsha is currently a free agent. They've been consistent, as well, with a full album every two years. There was a longer break between Basic and RE_vive, but only because of Gain wanting extra time off for mental health and to focus on getting her voice even stronger for when she can't fall back on her bomb rear end choreo as often.

It'll mean fewer MAMAMOO comebacks, for sure, but with all four girls working on their solo careers now, that was going to happen whether she stays with RBW or not.

At any rate I could see Wheein going the route Yenny did when WG disbanded-- singer first, idol a very distant second. In fact, an agency like Amoeba Culture would be a great fit for her and her vibe.

ZypherIM posted:

Studio choom does a really good job with performance videos. Top notch cameras, but also they do a good job showcasing the performance without too much .. extra camera junk? Like there will be some, but it usually feels like it fits well and isn't overdone.

They usually released a focused cam version after the fact, too, if you just want the choreo with none of the closeups.

ZypherIM posted:

Aespa, for me, is the weakest in that list. Which is a bit weird, but SM hasn't really known what to do with a female group for like 8 years or something now. I don't know what it is, just feels like outside of girl's generation they haven't been able to just knock a female group out of the park. They do keep trying different sorts of things at least, and its SM so its not like they flop or anything, but dunno. Especially if you compare to what they're doing with male groups the different to me feels pretty stark.

Whatever your personal preference may be aside, the only girl group SM has ever really fumbled has been CSJH The Grace. f(x) and Red Velvet are (or were, in f(x)'s case) both incredibly successful groups critically and commercially. I'd consider them both counting as being knocked well out of the park. Though obviously nothing will ever reach SNSD height, at SM or really any other company tbh.

The difference in success between boy groups and girl groups is always ridiculous and vast, and SM's boy groups are especially prolific-- with TVXQ and EXO being considered the markers for when the second and third generations of kpop began-- so it's hard to ever compare the two. SNSD are a very special exception to the rule when it comes to facing off against BG success in charting and sales/etc.

gently caress yesssss.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

esperterra posted:

At any rate I could see Wheein going the route Yenny did when WG disbanded-- singer first, idol a very distant second. In fact, an agency like Amoeba Culture would be a great fit for her and her vibe.

If she does leave, she should follow Lee Hi to AOMG.

esperterra posted:

Whatever your personal preference may be aside, the only girl group SM has ever really fumbled has been CSJH The Grace. f(x) and Red Velvet are (or were, in f(x)'s case) both incredibly successful groups critically and commercially. I'd consider them both counting as being knocked well out of the park. Though obviously nothing will ever reach SNSD height, at SM or really any other company tbh.

The difference in success between boy groups and girl groups is always ridiculous and vast, and SM's boy groups are especially prolific-- with TVXQ and EXO being considered the markers for when the second and third generations of kpop began-- so it's hard to ever compare the two. SNSD are a very special exception to the rule when it comes to facing off against BG success in charting and sales/etc.

I guess I was a little vague. I meant a little more about the on-going management of them. I wasn't super into them so maybe its just a perception thing, and maybe they get good exposure via things I don't really follow like acting/radio/etc, but for f(x) it felt like they started strong and then sort of just.. didn't go anywhere with them? Stuff they released was good and did well but looking at it they only put out 3 albums. Then they went on haitus until their contracts expired.

Red Velvet started off pretty shaky, and also sort of jettisoned the dual-concept thingy pretty quickly iirc? Sort of still there but not pronounced like before. Until I was looking at actual releases I didn't realize one of the members got injured. They've actually put out a pretty decent amount of stuff, though it looks like in 2017 stuff started becoming a lot more consistent with them. So I'm probably just more remembering their start and more random early release schedules. Interesting to note that they've been mostly focused around singles then packaged into EPs than full albums.

It just felt to me that they didn't know what to do with f(x), and then sort of rushed stuff for red velvet's debut (that video, c'mon) and then fumbled around looking for their footing there. I didn't realize that it looks like they had stabilized around 2017 on releases and that this last break (it'll be what, nearly 2 years when this comeback hits?) was due to an injury and not just SM scratching their heads and pushing out a new group. Again it is SM so its unlikely that they mess up actual releases, but there was a good stretch there where it felt like they had someone say "we need to release something so we have some sort of presence in this segment of the market" as opposed to trying to develop the groups.

edit:

I'm up too late, or just late enough to catch twice's release - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA2YEHn-A8Q

not bad, has a sort of 'margaritta-ville' vibe going on. casual summer party playlist sort of song, i could see people singing along with the drink list hah.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 9, 2021

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Alcohol-Free's pretty chill and pleasant, sounds very summery. Bummed to find out the album's not out until Friday

Found it funny that WEi released their new mv at the same time, and it's very much a male counterpart to the Twice mv. :v: First of their songs to really click with me, also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQxawfJdgEw

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Alcohol-Free is great! Chorus and post chorus are super catchy. Structurally it's fascinating. Long prechorus that's longer than the first verse and keeps the chorus from hitting until almost a minute in, then a really long post chorus too. The Girl From Ipanema riff in the second verse was a nice touch. The ending is kind of abrupt. I love that it's a more chill song for the summer vibe, good contrast from all the loud bombastic stuff we've had lately (including I Can't Stop Me and Kura Kura even). It has a lot of room to breathe sonically, and their voices sound better for it. Dance is really fun too. They're going to have a lot of fun performing this one I think.

Very excited to hear the rest of those bsides!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
lmao Nayeon posted on Bubble that her neck hurts, it hurts when she sings, she has a problem with a disc and then ended by saying she has to go dancing again. It's wild seeing a complete lack of injury management in real time like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Pumped to get to the Bsides Friday but alcohol free is so good

And that StayC cover owned, jarring (and funny) as the fbombs were. I loved ASAP so I'm excited.

Also, it reminded me, despite loosing two members this yr, everyone go listen to Cignature's first mini album. It's my fav debut mini album in a long time.