Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Kosumo posted:

Now, to ask other people to give you money to do something you are clearly not able to do, and to profit from that, is very plainly an exceptional scummy thing to do.

Chris Roberts is that kind of oval office. That what makes Star Citizen different.

Oh yeah, that's the magic of Star Citizen. The clownish incompetence of its development can get lost in the scumminess of its business model, and the scumminess of its business model can be forgotten in the chaos of the clownish incompetence of its development.

...and just when you think you might be able to keep track of both of those things, you also have to deal with a flotilla of shell companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Can you imagine hiring Roberts to:

Plan a wedding
Organise a rock concert
Run a care home
Build a real space rocket
Oversee vaccine production
Work in air traffic control

Just thank your gods that he ended up in the relatively low damage arena of computer games.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Image hiring him to water your indoor plants while you where away.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

William Bear posted:

Thinking about it more, the more SC gets delayed, the more it risks being overtaken not just in graphics, but in depth of simulation as well.
How can they be overtaken in depth of simulation when they were never in the top 100 in the first place?

Gravity_Storm posted:

Plan a wedding
Organise a rock concert
Run a care home

Just thank your gods that he ended up in the relatively low damage arena of computer games.

I think realistically Roberts would have been more likely to become some small town politician where he could bumble his way through a pedestrian speech while waving his hands around and thinking people respected him.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Gravity_Storm posted:

Run a care home

No need to imagine that in AU.

The privatized with Federal Government oversight retirement homes here were Covid infested death traps with endless investigations into why the poor old chaps were dying malnourished, of remediable ailments and general abuse of all sorts by unqualified and underpaid staff.

All the while Instagram was flooded with selfies of the tanned Porsche driving owners on chopper trips in Monaco.

The Royal Commission report is now hidden safely in a sub-sub-sub basement filing cabinet and hundreds of millions more public funds allocated to private companies to "fix" it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
caughtupwiththethread.gif

New Trip Report:

My son caught his eye on subnautica and begged me to play the game with him. Begrudgingly I booted the game up and spent nary the first 3 hours completely lost and just did exploring. We're 10 hours in now. The story did slowly unfold, hell I didn't even realize the game had a story. Now that we're in deep, I'm not going to write any spoilers. I can fairly say this game is a sleeper hit.

Star Citizen continues to lack rewards for players for doing stuff. Instead, the reward comes from the cash shop as an instant dopamine injection of spaceship through spending money. A slow burn survival / explorer game like subnautica rewards its players with making smart choices during moment to moment gameplay, exploration, base building, spending and accumulating resources where the game strikes a good balance. I would love Elite to go down a similar vein, but its potentially limited by the vision of Frontier's management. At this point Elite doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be aside to continue to exist as a space-trader / exploration game with some combat at the side. While Star Citizen continues to be a cult following with a sandbox to evaluate the aftermath of bad spending habits.

That's all for this months trip report. Stay tuned!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gravity_Storm posted:

Plan a wedding
Organise a rock concert
Run a care home

Yeah, if he went into medicine he'd be Elizabeth Holmes.

Or if he went into rock concert organizing, he'd be Billy McFarland.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/c2iKCU3.mp4

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Nalin posted:

All those things just aren't relevant anymore. Just install and play bro. Remember to press F on everything.

Thanks bro. People in the thread were literally just talking about a random text file filling gigs of data logging every single thing that happened on the server. Maybe they fixed that particular issue, but I trust CIG software about as much as a free nude desktop assistant.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kosumo posted:

Image hiring him to water your indoor plants while you where away.
You would arrive home to find new gold-plated planters (he would charge you for them, of course) with dead dried plants because CR was too busy envisioning complex contraptions that would automatically water your plants (something solved by someone else years ago in a much simpler manner than envisioned).

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Does anyone have the chart showing SC's Dev cycle and progress versus console generations, CPU/GPU generations, major game engine generations...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

no_recall posted:

caughtupwiththethread.gif

New Trip Report:

My son caught his eye on subnautica and begged me to play the game with him. Begrudgingly I booted the game up and spent nary the first 3 hours completely lost and just did exploring. We're 10 hours in now. The story did slowly unfold, hell I didn't even realize the game had a story. Now that we're in deep, I'm not going to write any spoilers. I can fairly say this game is a sleeper hit.

Subnautica is amazing, one of the best games I've played in the last 5 years. But I don't know if it's a sleeper, it's pretty widely acclaimed at this point

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shazback posted:

Does anyone have the chart showing SC's Dev cycle and progress versus console generations, CPU/GPU generations, major game engine generations...

Close

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

no_recall posted:

subnautica [...] this game is a sleeper hit

It's pretty wildly acclaimed, and was successful enough that people are playing the sequel right now. Iirc, it's one of the games whose giveaway caused one of the biggest bumps in EGS numbers (though probably an order of magnitude behind GTA5).

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dwesa posted:

You would arrive home to find new gold-plated planters (he would charge you for them, of course) with dead dried plants because CR was too busy envisioning complex contraptions that would automatically water your plants (something solved by someone else years ago in a much simpler manner than envisioned).

You forgot that also all the clothes in you wardrobe would be wet for some reason.

And you had to pay him before you went away.

Also, no refunds!

*And he looked through all you draws and does your stash of drugs. :iiasb:

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 9, 2021

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

trucutru posted:

But Nintendo was founded in 1889 so it took them almost a century to develop that.

Everyone knows the first 90 years you only build up your team :rolleyes:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Bofast posted:

How can they be overtaken in depth of simulation when they were never in the top 100 in the first place?

A fair point. It would be more accurate to say that the depth of simulation CIG promises is going to be overtaken in real life.

Where's that video that was posted earlier that was a Unreal Engine demo of some guy flying around in the Millennium Falcon and walking around inside it?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

FishMcCool posted:

It's pretty wildly acclaimed, and was successful enough that people are playing the sequel right now. Iirc, it's one of the games whose giveaway caused one of the biggest bumps in EGS numbers (though probably an order of magnitude behind GTA5).

Below Zero is cool and fun but maaaan it shows that they changed writers like oof.
I kinda wish they'd make a sequel with a larger map and a way more survival focused sandbox mode.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is there a handy phrase to describe the disinclination to believe something is a scam simply based on the ever-increasing audaciousness and obviousness of the scam? Like, "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam it would be the biggest scam in the history of the videogames industry, and what are the odds of that?" "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam they wouldn't be so bad at making it not look like a scam."? I keep thinking of "sunk cost" and "Occam's razor" but those aren't quite it. What do you call the tendency to believe a lie simply because it's such a big and obvious lie that you can't believe someone would actually have the balls to lie about it? Besides "The Republican Party"

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 9, 2021

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Imagined posted:

Is there a handy phrase to describe the disinclination to believe something is a scam simply based on the ever-increasing audaciousness and obviousness of the scam? Like, "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam it would be the biggest scam in the history of the videogames industry, and what are the odds of that?" "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam they wouldn't be so bad at making it not look like a scam."? I keep thinking of "sunk cost" and "Occam's razor" but those aren't quite it. What do you call the tendency to believe a lie simply because it's such a big and obvious lie that you can't believe someone would actually have the balls to lie about it? Besides "The Republican Party"

isn't that plain old cognitive dissonance?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I've heard it called The Big Lie.

Cognitive dissonance is what you feel when you hold multiple contradictory opinions, not really the same

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Spatial posted:

I've heard it called The Big Lie.

Cognitive dissonance is what you feel when you hold multiple contradictory opinions, not really the same

Oh wow, that's it.

Wikipedia posted:

The German expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, to describe the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Imagined posted:

It is called goodthink, and is a practice all good citizens adhere to.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Sarsapariller posted:

Subnautica is amazing, one of the best games I've played in the last 5 years. But I don't know if it's a sleeper, it's pretty widely acclaimed at this point

I think I get what they're saying, though. I've bounced off of Subnautica 4 times now, all within the first hour of gameplay. I know there is a ton more to it, but gathering those first scraps has made me lose interest.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I hate to admit I fall into the goon stereotype of thalassophobia but I totally noped out as soon as I got glimpses of what was going on in the really deep, dark areas of Subnautica.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outer Wilds is totally the game for anyone who loves exploration, and dying horribly in space. There's no inventory management or resource hunting. It is a pure treasure hunt that is also a nightmare for half the runtime.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I think I get what they're saying, though. I've bounced off of Subnautica 4 times now, all within the first hour of gameplay. I know there is a ton more to it, but gathering those first scraps has made me lose interest.

My first attempt I bounced off hard. My second one I turned off the food/water meters and it felt a lot better.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

giving me memories of the kickstarter days where some citizens were falling over themselves trying to build a computer that could even run the game, with the most expensive builds still not being quite enough for all the fidelity, others just started saving up for an eventual release.

Nowadays even a baby's ipad could theoretically run star citizen but the hardware isnt the problem anymore its just their lovely code can barely function on anything

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Everyone knows the first 90 years you only build up your team :rolleyes:

The first step in developing any real videogame is instituting a breeding program. A few generations from now we'll have some truly capable programmers on our hands.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

New Star Marine trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASzOzrB-a9E

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Imagined posted:

Crobert's Rub

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I fuckin can't wait for this poo poo

almost 3x as many players as a fuckin SC server lol

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

I was skeptical of a game of operators operating in the future climate wars, but then this trailer had a guy jump out of a jet to fire a bazooka at another jet, so.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

dieselfruit posted:

I was skeptical of a game of operators operating in the future climate wars, but then this trailer had a guy jump out of a jet to fire a bazooka at another jet, so.

such fanservice, smh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-wFI9vTqto

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

That's true, I bounced off the first 2 times I tried it as well. I think the first hour of it feels like you're about to play an asset-flip Unity survival game, which is the farthest thing from a game I have any interest in. But where those games usually end their tech tree right around the "stone axe -> iron axe -> magic-ore axe" level, Subnautica not only keeps going, but every new level of craftable stuff is cool and visually distinct, requires challenging resources at the edge of your capability, and expands your exploration options further and further into more and more exotic and dangerous areas. Plus for a lot of them you only end up needing to make one, so they feel a lot more like a Metroid power-up than an expendable, and your character very quickly accumulates a lot of tools. It does a great job of tying story mysteries into game progression, too- sometimes you want to get that next tech upgrade because it'll make life easier, but a lot of the time you just want to see what happened.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Glad this trailer had a scene that is an accurate representation of how every max player count game will go

ToW coming when?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Rotten Red Rod posted:

ToW coming when?

Look you filthy fudster, we've been over this - Theatre of Dreams.txt was never meant to be actually released, it was merely a tool Sean Tracey's team threw together one evening over pizza to evaluate core persistent universe functionality and stress test bandwidth and latency.

Anyone who says otherwise has clearly not been paying attention.

PS in breaking news, we're at war with Eastasia this week and always have been

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sarsapariller posted:

Maybe it WAS a sleeper in the sense that it far exceeded expectations as far as its success. But yeah it's a big thing now.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Like someone else said I strongly recommend playing in freedom mode or whatever it's called where you don't have to worry about eating and drinking and can just look around for cool stuff and build things. Doing busywork to keep meters high is crap gameplay imo, the sense of discovery is the good stuff.

Already more entertaining than anything I've seen from the last ten years of Star Citizen development

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Play posted:

Maybe it WAS a sleeper in the sense that it far exceeded expectations as far as its success. But yeah it's a big thing now.

The definition of sleeper hit is something that becomes a huge success over a long period of time through word of mouth instead of studio promotion, which I think nails Subnautica. Streamers like Markiplier first brought it major attention during its early access rather than traditional advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LostRook posted:

The first step in developing any real videogame is instituting a breeding program. A few generations from now we'll have some truly capable programmers on our hands.

Turns out the Bene Gesserit were actually just breeding programmers skilled enough to finally make the grand vision of Chris Roberts come true. It took a bit longer than expected, but you can't rush these things.