Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Terrible Opinions posted:

Lordy does Joann hate fat people

So she's a goon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Violet_Sky posted:

Why the gently caress did Harry potter get big

Buying seven Harry Potter novels was way cheaper than shelling out for 50+ Animorphs books.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well you get what you pay for :c00lbert::horse:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Something else I've noticed about geek culture and critiques of it is that the community takes everything so loving personally. Criticism of the backlash that people like Ebert and Scorsese had over video games and comic book flicks is an attack on nerds on a personal level.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
you ever want to get a middle class white girl spitting mad at you, just say Harry Potter sucks

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Star Man posted:

Something else I've noticed about geek culture and critiques of it is that the community takes everything so loving personally. Criticism of the backlash that people like Ebert and Scorsese had over video games and comic book flicks is an attack on nerds on a personal level.

TBF as ebert admits the art label validates an intense emotional engagement with a work.

To treat any criticism or discomfort with your favorite work as an insult to you personally is still bullshit though. And It’s still true that people in general should have been more constructive with both of these people’s criticisms.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

the scorsese stuff didn't really strike me as geek culture outrage, it was people including disney itself trying to paint him as a snobby critic looking down at mainstream movies for his accurate criticisms of their movies, which is a way more common grievance

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 9, 2021

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bleck posted:

you ever want to get a middle class white girl spitting mad at you, just say Harry Potter sucks

Honestly, I find people that never miss an opportunity to remind me that JK Rowling is a monster and that's why they disowned Harry Potter or try to make up poo poo about a series of books they used to admire to come off as if they weren't that into it in the first place more annoying.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Star Man posted:

Honestly, I find people that never miss an opportunity to remind me that JK Rowling is a monster and that's why they disowned Harry Potter or try to make up poo poo about a series of books they used to admire to come off as if they weren't that into it in the first place more annoying.

Yeah, there's some weird revisionism about how everyone always knew the books were bad and ???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I still think prisoner of azkaban was a good movie

it's a movie about having a cool uncle who's in prison for being too cool for society to handle. I wish I had an uncle like that

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Motto posted:

the scorsese stuff didn't really strike me as geek culture outrage, it was people including disney itself trying to paint him as a snobby critic looking down at mainstream movies for his accurate criticisms of their movies, which is a way more common grievance

His criticisms being correct and the conclusion that they’re too tasteless to be “Cinema” being false can be both be held at once.

These nerds should just be at peace at loving monopolistic trash and say “understandable snob. Have a nice day”

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Augus posted:

I still think prisoner of azkaban was a good movie

it's a movie about having a cool uncle who's in prison for being too cool for society to handle. I wish I had an uncle like that

thats the one directed by alfonso cuarón which is why its weirdly really good in a sea of otherwise pretty bland movies

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The "Someone finally punches Malfoy in the face" movie

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Star Man posted:

Yeah. HP was unbelievably huge with kids, teens, adults, boys, girls, people of all classes and races and from all over the world. I dunno why anybody would specify middle class white girls.

I was reading an interesting book analyzing the ethics of LOTR, HP. and Twilight - popular fantasy and all - and the chapter on HP's ethics goes over how the New York Times had to invent a new category for Best Sellers just to accommodate HP's consistent domination. Also had quotes from reviewers giving their ideas on why it succeeded. Basically it was a very well done blending of styles.

quote:

Several critics have noted the creative blend of genres that is rolled into the series. Anne Hiebert Alton has pointed to elements of pulp fiction, ghost and horror stories, gothic elements, narrative structures from the detective genre, aspects of the Bildungsroman, the Victorian boarding or public school story, the sports story, elements of fairy and folk tales, aspects of the quest fantasy but also adventure plots, and quest romance (Alton, 2009, p. 221). In Alton’s view, Rowling blends all these genres while moving towards the epic and in doing so is original. Lee Siegel notes that Rowling has mastered the conventions of the James Bond movie:

So far, every book ends with the standard Bond wrap-up, in which the captured British agent – in this case, Harry Potter – waits patiently to be killed while the villain helpfully explains the fine points of the plot, reviews the highlights of his villainy, and discusses his plans for the future. (Siegel, 1999)

This narrative device, taken from the epitome of action films, under- scores rapid narrative pace as a feature of the series. Steven Barfield has argued that ‘the generic complexity and hybridity of the text makes it both hard to fit within the conventional genres of either boarding school story or fantasy, while simultaneously recalling critical histories of the two genres involved’ (Barfield, 2005, p. 193). Barfield further considers that this hybridity ‘allows the possibility of rather complex kinds of correspondence between text and world to be established’, thereby offering perspectives that could not be made by either genre alone (Barfield, 2005, p. 193). Others simply regard Rowling as a trader in well worn clichés and stolen images: ‘Ms. Rowling’s world is a secondary secondary world, made up of intelligently patchworked derivative motifs from all sorts of children’s literature’ (Byatt, 2003). In the view of this book, the weaving of multiple formal trajectories into the same storyline highlights both Rowling’s skills as an author and her popular success: as will become clear, her implied author sets up, and delivers on, several narrative schemata and thereby several layers of reader expectation simultaneously.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Star Man posted:

That's what causes 'the backlash to the backlash' happening usually yeah, it gets tiresome to hear that inane spiel every time, JK Rowling sucks poo poo, you can still say you liked the books as a kid, hell you can still say you remember them fondly enough as an adult while recognizing the crap parts of them, people who make it this dire mission to convince everyone that it was always bad and they always knew and all that poo poo are the most :nallears: thing. That kind of thing's not just limited to HP either, but it's almost always agonizingly dull just the same.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

That's what causes 'the backlash to the backlash' happening usually yeah, it gets tiresome to hear that inane spiel every time, JK Rowling sucks poo poo, you can still say you liked the books as a kid, hell you can still say you remember them fondly enough as an adult while recognizing the crap parts of them, people who make it this dire mission to convince everyone that it was always bad and they always knew and all that poo poo are the most :nallears: thing. That kind of thing's not just limited to HP either, but it's almost always agonizingly dull just the same.

But then how will I get my twitter woke cred????

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dias posted:

But then how will I get my twitter woke cred????

Or my SA contrarian cred???

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hey I liked HP, Animorphs was just better

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I feel like generally when people fell off of harry potter is fairly consistent with their particular age group just growing out of them. Seemed like most people i knew read and enjoyed 1-4 as kids but fell off book 5 both due to aging out of the target demo.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

Hey I liked HP, Animorphs was just better

I liked goosebumps and weenie books.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I found Book 5 to be the strongest, even though it's got garbage in it too. Umbridge is such a real, loathsome petty fascist and it's got Harry at his most proactive and with the strongest convictions.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

who knew dolores umbridge was actually joanne's self-insert the whole time

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I feel like generally when people fell off of harry potter is fairly consistent with their particular age group just growing out of them. Seemed like most people i knew read and enjoyed 1-4 as kids but fell off book 5 both due to aging out of the target demo.
6 was where everyone my age dropped off and just watched the movies instead. I personally started reading them in English when 5 came out, which made it less fun to talk about the books with others. But it also enforced that feeling of them being more mature. I did remember them very fondly until I tried re-reading them a couple of years ago and just could not get into any of them at all.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Finally, a substitute for reading the book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2TtRWawNqw

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

The first few books were about a bunch of kids solving mysteries in their magic school and goofing around. Even the worse stuff didn't seem as harmful back then. Dobby being a slave to Lucius Malfoy just seemed like a way to show the Malfoys are evil rear end in a top hat antagonists and that being freed by being given clothes was just a silly fantasy logic thing. Then the books when on and there was a whole thing of Hogwarts hiring elves not as employees but as loving slaves and had a scene with the elves getting angry at Hermonie for trying to make clothes to free them. And then came Kreacher and how Harry just never decided to free him and it was just uuuuugh. The more Rowling tried to make her world serious and concrete of what was seemed like kids fantasy that sometimes played by Calvinball logic, the uglier it got.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

fun hater posted:

thats the one directed by alfonso cuarón which is why its weirdly really good in a sea of otherwise pretty bland movies
tbf book 3 is also the best one, and also the most emotionally mature while the ones that are supposed to be more 'adult' are actually markedly more juvenile

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't Rowling's first non-Potter work get poor reviews/sell really poorly until it got 'leaked' she wrote it?

Wikipedia says this

quote:

The book received mostly positive reviews. Most of them came only after Rowling became known as the author, but the early reactions were generally complimentary as well.

The newest one is nearly 1,000 pages long which just gently caress off with that many pages. Had no interest in reading it anyway but that many pages is just wrong.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I liked the Rick Riordan books, although I stopped reading him halfway through the Roman gods books. I was spoiled, fantasy wise, because I read Discworld as a kid and those books are just fantastic

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bessantj posted:

Wikipedia says this

The newest one is nearly 1,000 pages long which just gently caress off with that many pages. Had no interest in reading it anyway but that many pages is just wrong.

Yeah it's 1000 pages for her pulpy, lurid detective books with a lovely romance forced into it.

Her being Galbraith was leaked by a guy who was trying to impress his date from what I remember.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

there’s a pretty good episode of I Don’t Even Own A Television on one of those bad detective books

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2019/11/10/145-career-of-evil/

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DeafNote posted:

The only contact I have had with Heavy Rain is Slowbeef/Diabetus randomly going off on a tangent about that game's plot during the Omega Ridley fight.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLsOd6YJ5P8&t=1036s)
And thats all I need.

Its not as if this isn't a thing that can also happen in European homes either.

Speaking slowbeef and Heavy Rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9bFb3kpKeM

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah it's 1000 pages for her pulpy, lurid detective books with a lovely romance forced into it.

the real Casual Vacancy is her editor

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The first few books were about a bunch of kids solving mysteries in their magic school and goofing around. Even the worse stuff didn't seem as harmful back then. Dobby being a slave to Lucius Malfoy just seemed like a way to show the Malfoys are evil rear end in a top hat antagonists and that being freed by being given clothes was just a silly fantasy logic thing. Then the books when on and there was a whole thing of Hogwarts hiring elves not as employees but as loving slaves and had a scene with the elves getting angry at Hermonie for trying to make clothes to free them. And then came Kreacher and how Harry just never decided to free him and it was just uuuuugh. The more Rowling tried to make her world serious and concrete of what was seemed like kids fantasy that sometimes played by Calvinball logic, the uglier it got.

yeah. she wrote herself into a corner and instead of trying to break out of it, she kept digging through the wall.

Yardbomb posted:

same. like yeah, JK sucks especially now but i dislike this weird "we have always been at war with Eurasia" thing in internet pop culture criticism where its declared that "actually we always hated said thing and you can never admit you liked it and actually liking anything that isnt 100% pure is bad" poo poo gets loving old.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

DesertIslandHermit posted:

being freed by being given clothes was just a silly fantasy logic thing.
I dunno if it makes it not a silly fantasy logic thing, but this is based off the fairy tale of the shoemaker and the elves. A lot of HP's worldbuilding is adapted off of existing folklore.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. like yeah, JK sucks especially now but i dislike this weird "we have always been at war with Eurasia" thing in internet pop culture criticism where its declared that "actually we always hated said thing and you can never admit you liked it and actually liking anything that isnt 100% pure is bad" poo poo gets loving old.

Rowling being Unable To Log Off and stop saying stupid, awful things, both politically and about the Harry Potter world, was definitely a big factor in people no longer giving her the benefit of the doubt when it came to the bland political messaging of the books. And then you get to things that just make the wizarding world seem like moronic cavemen like the "Wizards used to poop on the floor" factoid that nobody needed, and actively undermines any logical application of magic the wizards would more reasonably use.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 9, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She heard about star trek poop removal and decided to coin a wizard version

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

While I do agree with this, and I think it’s perfectly fine to enjoy art made by terrible people, I think it’s also worth pointing out that some of us really did just hate the books all along. It’s just a lot easier to voice that opinion now that they aren’t being treated as sacred cows.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

im not cool enough to say I always thought the series was bad, as a dumb grade-schooler I was fully invested in the series all the way through Book 6, dumb plot twists and all. Even back then though Book 7 just bored me and I quickly forgot most of what happened in it.

The thing you need to keep in mind with the tone shift of the series is the whole “growing up with the audience” idea. The kids who read the series for whimsical adventure quickly became moody teenagers so the series adjusted to keep them hooked. The angst and relationship drama and heel-turns and “dark, mature” subject matter of the later books are all laser-guided to appeal to the brains of dumb teenagers living in the 00’s and in that regard the books were very good at what they were trying to do.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bakeneko posted:

While I do agree with this, and I think it’s perfectly fine to enjoy art made by terrible people, I think it’s also worth pointing out that some of us really did just hate the books all along. It’s just a lot easier to voice that opinion now that they aren’t being treated as sacred cows.

On the flipside, there are always lovely people who crawl out of the woodwork with no other goal in mind than earning cool guy points by letting everyone know they were too smart to like <thing> in the first place. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Star Man posted:

The whole thing is, "geek"/"nerd" branding is very explicitly designed to evoke ones feelings of adolescent isolation and awkwardness. There's also a fair amount of pseudo-intellectualism there as well. (After all, nerds are clearly the smart ones!) People mistake loving sci-fi for knowing about actual science; they mistake playing video games for knowing about computers; they tell the child reading a Harry Potter book that they are smart and literate, and that child grows into an adult who still considers themselves smart and literate because they can obsessively catalogue the minutia of the Harry Potter universe but never moved on to any other literature.